Engineer vs Mesmer

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Illusions.3108

Illusions.3108

Who overall is better for WvW? How about PVE?? and dungeons?? conditions?

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Berengar.6951

Berengar.6951

Both are good in small man/roaming WvW, Mesmers are more wanted in zergs for veil/portal.

I’m not really privy to what’s the “ultimate composition” for dungeons, but honestly anything works for most of them.

Both have good condition builds, main difference being Engi has much better access to poison and (usually) higher burn uptime, while Mesmer has Torment and gigantic cripple uptime with a trait.

Engineer, Thief, Mesmer, Elementalist, Guardian,Warrior, Necro
[KoM] Krewe of Misfits
[IB]Inglorious Basterdz

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Myrix.6347

Myrix.6347

In my personal opinion. Mesmer is better at solo roaming and dueling. Engi isn’t far behind at all though.

In zerg wvw mesmer is better mostly because of how useful it is to portal golems or portal bomb.

For dungeons either can be great. Mesmers are usually more wanted because it’s easier for new people to use (phantasm pistol build and time warp) and experienced mesmers can offer a lot of utility from reflects to portal.

An engi can do just as good or even better (lots of might stacking potential among other things) but it’s not a beginner friendly class so a party will have to hope you know what you’re doing. If you do you can really wow some people.

With conditions Engineers win. A wvw condition mesmer might not be as strong as an engi but it’s safer since most condition builds have a good number of stealthing abilities. (Again Engineers have access to all this too just harder to pull off). In pve I’d never recommend conditions on any profession but engineers are one of the two classes that can get away with it.

General PvE It’s hard to say since any profession works there and the mesmer’s lack of speed can easily be fixed with runes of centaur/speed/traveler

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Ever heard anyone in PvE say : “What we could really use now is an Engineer?”

Until that happens, Mesmer will be the more desired class, if only these two are being compared across multiple game formats.

Engineer and Ranger are in the same boat when it comes to desirability.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

I play both Engi and Mesmer, they’re my two mains, if you can have two…

WvW, I really prefer Engineer. I usually run in cooridnated zergs and grenades are pretty nice there. AoE and utility. Healing Turret is great for zerg play also. I like 30/10/0/0/30 with Rabid/Dire or Rampagers.

PvE.. This one is interesting. Mesmer can push some of the highest damage out there but its situational as you need 3x phantasms on the field and the right build to do so. Mesmer has a lot of tricks also and some good reflects if you trait Focus, which I usually dont.. Engineer on the other hand does average Zerker DPS but it’s by no means bad. You can trait for Vulnerability which adds to the whole groups DPS, and you can stack might also.

If you pug a lot for PvE I’d say Engi with grenades could be a better choice. If you run with good group that stacks vulnerability and might often a Mesmer would prolly do a bit better. Their tools are different and each will contribute, most people don’t honestly know what Engi’s are capable of. Run what you think is most fun for you.

Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

I, too, swap between my engy and mesmer “mains.” My mesmer is my class for pure roaming. It’s a very fun class in small mans and solo play. I don’t tend to zerg with my mesmer b/c nothing spells boredom like spending 2 hours being a portal/veil bot. It’s also my pve class for when I rarely pve. That said, I tend to take my engy out more often because the jack of all trades aspect of the class allows me to roam, and join up with zergs from time to time. I’m effective in solo, small man, and zerg play on my engy so I can easily adapt. I can change a couple of traits on the fly to excel in each type of gameplay. If I know for a fact that I’ll be zerging all night, then I’ll bring out my necro and faceroll.

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Until that happens, Mesmer will be the more desired class, if only these two are being compared across multiple game formats.

Haven’t gotten that one, but I have gotten, “Is there an Ele in the party?” when I was running my P/P HGH build in a dungeon run. I wasn’t even focusing on support.
(Honestly that’s an unfair way to compare the two classes, Mesmer’s wouldn’t be nearly that popular if they didn’t have Portal, Timewarp and Veil)

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Yeah but, I never hear any of these either………
“What we could really use now is an thief?”
“What we could really use now is an ranger?”
“What we could really use now is an elementalist?”
“What we could really use now is an necromancer?”
“What we could really use now is an warrior?”

It just is what it is, mesmers and guardians simply have some extremely handy utility in a select few skills. Nothing you cannot live without, but extremely handy indeed

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Illusions.3108

Engineer has so many skills for groups though?

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

coglin.1867

Engineer has so many skills for groups though?

Yes, but most people are ignorant when it comes to the engineer. Even a good many who play them for a period of time even fail to learn how to use it to the full benefit of the group.

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Illusions.3108

how would that be?

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Who overall is better for WvW? How about PVE?? and dungeons?? conditions?

They’re both great for WvW. I’d say about even for roaming and Mesmer has the sight edge in zergs if only for no insta-suicide from retaliation. Engi have great aoe attacks. Mesmer have better utility (reflects, portal, veil, TW).

Mesmers are wanted for dungeon speed clears for (again) their utility. But Engi are incredibly useful for team healing, cleansing, blast finishers, damage, everything really.

Engi definitely win the condition battle. They’re tops (along with Necro obviously) when it comes to PvP or WvW conditions.

how would that be?

A lot of people believe in “zerk 1337 speed clearz ftw” and feel that top dps is king. Utilities like Mesmer’s veil and portal and TW don’t rely on gear/stats and can be slotted into literally any Mesmer build when needed. But Engi’s build design is much more complete, more a product of the whole and less because you brought that one utility. With a single Engi build you can deal consistent melee dps and group heal and buff and aoe cleanse. With a different build you can shower an area with damage, stack vulnerability, and burst heal your party. With yet another build you can aoe stack might and offer extreme group utility with cleanses & heals while debuffing enemies with weakness & poison.

The problem is that people don’t see group synergy as anything except warrior banners and guardian shouts and Mesmer time warp. Those are gimmicky. Engi can shape their entire build around an idea.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

(edited by Seras.5702)

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

It just is what it is, mesmers and guardians simply have some extremely handy utility in a select few skills. Nothing you cannot live without, but extremely handy indeed

Then you should play GW2, cause I have heard most of these numerous times, including Thief. Go figure. I also have heard “What we could use are rangers”, obviously you must be playing D3?

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Engineer vs Mesmer

in Engineer

coglin.1867

Then you should play GW2, cause I have heard most of these numerous times, including Thief. Go figure. I also have heard “What we could use are rangers”, obviously you must be playing D3?

You may here them, no need to insult me because I do not.

No need for the snide comments eithr. Particularly if they make little since. I am on a GW2 forums, its foolish to assume I do not play the game, simply because I do not experience what you do. By the way, what is D3???

For example, if we do not naturally acquire a thief when forming a group for a dungeon run in Arah, I use the smoke bomb and stack my blast finishers, then viola, we pas the mobs as well as if we had shadow refuge. The engineer may not be the best as everything, but we are darn good at very many things. As well, I run a build with great utility, and can do a little teak to fit what we need Need a lot of stealth, I got it. Need stability, I got it. Need might, I can stack it. Need vulnerability, I can stack it. Need damage, I can dish it out. Need condition removal, I can clean it up.