Engineer vs condition ranger?

in Engineer

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

I can’t seem to beat them. I’ve foughten 2 good ones since I’ve seriously started playing engi and I was totally dominated by the first one because he used Rampage As One for 20s of stability.

I’ve using elixirs/flamethrower 2/6/0/6/0 build so I do have condition removal but it doesn’t feel like I have enough, not after getting 3k+ hours on necromancer anyway. I have excess condition removal on there but feel forced to take excess of it on any class because the ridiculous strength of conditions on tanky builds.

I run full knights gear but am using strength runes. Should I switch to hoelbrak? Would that make much difference?

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

kite the ranger as long as he has stability (use obfuscations) and then cc-lock and burst him to death.

One thing I currently preffer are turrets.
if traited their range is 1500 and they deal allot of dmg.
kite the ranger around within their range and he basically kills himself.
bonus points if you take fortified turrets and perma reflect his kitten until he’s ready to get bursted by keeping the turrets up.

also about the condis:
HT clears 2 every 15/20sec, EG clears one on #5 every 16/20 sec, elixir E transmutes 4 instantly, 20 points into the alchemy trait and you automatically transmute 1 more incoming condition every 15sec, can proc elixir B and have it traited for cleaning 1 more condition, as well as you other elixirs would do.
combine that with sigil of purity / generosity and runes of water and the condi ranger will get you hardly below 75% hp.

Ofc you can’t do all above mentioned on the same time, but play around with these options and you’ll find a good mix

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

you prolly cant do enough damage to him to break through his sustain with knights gear. if youre dying to him, hoelbrak/melandru + lemongrass and a purity and/or generosity sigil will make him equally unable to kill you.

to kill him… you prolly need full zerk gear. with those ^ things.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

I play both classes.

Certain conditions really hurt a ranger more than other classes. One of the most noticeable is confusion. Rangers attack very quickly.

Their condition removal is often tied to the pet. Pets are quite easy to CC or condition kill. Their other real source of condition removal is on a 30 sec timer.
Remember empathic bond removes conditions which can quickly be reapplied.

The biggest headache of the condition ranger is his bleeds. Rangers really don’t have a huge number of conditions to place on you. Instead, each really hurts. And there are tradeoffs, so they typically don’t carry all the conditions (if torch then no. . . . etc.)

The condition ranger will have less range traditionally too (if you take nades particularly).

Some tricks for rangers I really like are:

1. Rocket Boots. Reset OR close quickly and bomb/pull/burn/confuse and toss him around like a wet noodle. You can also use Slick Shoes to keep the pet at bay.

2. Tool Kit. You have a LOT of blocks and reflects with the tool kit and a p/s combo. Close and kill.

3. BLIND. I like blinding the pet frankly. The condition ranger does a lot of auto attacks.

4. Rangers HATE when you go into stealth. Well placed smoke/blast finishers can really turn a ranger fight.

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

I’ve using elixirs/flamethrower 2/6/0/6/0 build so I do have condition removal but it doesn’t feel like I have enough, not after getting 3k+ hours on necromancer anyway.

I stopt right here.

1) EG/FT won’t kill any advanced player.
2) 3k+ on necro which has totally passiv gameplay with nearly no effort and high reward doesn’t really fit with engineers gameplay which is high effort with low reward but much more reward possible over all.

Just start with engineer meta builds and u won’t have any problems with rangers. But still with necros…

in Engineer

Posted by: bethekey.8314

bethekey.8314

Forestnator.6298

I stopt right here.

Funny, I stopped reading your post early too, because my almost full year of playing all kinds of FT/EG variations in the top 50 of both team and solo q says otherwise.

(edited by bethekey.8314)

in Engineer

Posted by: Poliswag.8240

Poliswag.8240

Hey Zefrost, I remember running into you in tpvp for a game, good to see you.

Condition Rangers are, indeed, a pain, especially good ones. The mobility they have allows them to kite your build with incredible ease, so you need to rely on bursting and oppressive attrition to win. Nades are very strong vs them, but in your case you have zero poison or chill application. I strongly suggest a sigil of doom, even if you have to get another rifle. This will help immensely. 20s isn’t hard to survive if you’re careful, so you need to play defensively once you see them pop RaO. After that you should hope to keep as much burning and poison as possible, and as I’m sure you know, keep that might up. I suggest comboing them, as quickly as the kit CD will allow, using: blowback, immob, blunderbuss, FT2, OS, crate then jump shot. Keep up the pressure and when you see them try to fear you with the wolf, as they will mostly likely try to do, blind it with the flamethrower.

Try that and see how well it works out.

[IX][oPP] Poliswag – Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here retired #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

You will never beat a competent Ranger with your build! Both Flamethrower as your primary damage kit and multiple elixirs suffer heavily in PvP because of how those abilities are designed! Unlike PvE where your build doesn’t matter at all, PvP is a different game! Run a better build and I guarantee way more success versus Rangers! Check out http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis or http://www.twitch.tv/ostricheggs for great PvP builds!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

I stopt right here.

Funny, I stopped reading your post early too, because my almost full year of playing all kinds of FT/EG variations in the top 50 of both team and solo q says otherwise.

I added u as friend days ago and still don’t see any rank of you in the leaderboards. Either you haven’t even played tournaments or it’s still not refreshed. May u do a screenshot? Because I don’t belief you are reaching any acceptable win/lose ratio with EG/FT. Thanks.

in Engineer

Posted by: bethekey.8314

bethekey.8314

Apologies to Zefrost for derailing this thread for something that could have easily been addressed personally. Forest, for months I maintained a near 70% win ratio in the top 20 solo q and top 50 team q without a dedicated team. As of late, I have taken a break from tpvp as I no longer find it fun and the game is at an all-time competitive low.

http://www.gw2score.com/PvP/player/bethekey8314

Edit: I was curious as to why you were so quick to dismiss FT/EG and took a look at your post history. Needless to say, I can only assume a rogue flamethrower killed your mother and father with the amount of hate you put out against it. It is especially uncalled for when you shut down a new engineer’s build that they find fun, just because you don’t think it would work. In the future, I would suggest you refrain from posting on things you clearly don’t understand yourself and let the more experienced engineers comment.

(edited by bethekey.8314)

in Engineer

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

Forestnator.6298

I stopt right here.

I added u as friend days ago and still don’t see any rank of you in the leaderboards. Either you haven’t even played tournaments or it’s still not refreshed. May u do a screenshot? Because I don’t belief you are reaching any acceptable win/lose ratio with EG/FT. Thanks.

While I don’t endorse the whole “check on leaderboards” to verify authenticity, if you insist on doing that, gw2score can help you:

http://www.gw2score.com/PvP/player/bethekey8314

It looks like the issue is bethekey is NA while you are EU.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in Engineer

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

We all know NA is easier than EU (not that it’s hard to climb EU either, but I see lots of people in NA leaderboards with under 200 games). But leader boards count for nothing and we all know that, it’s about experience and skill ( I mean I’ve lost about 1600 games now…and I’m still in a positive win ratio :/).

Anyway to answer your question OP, Ranger condi removal is tied to their pet, and their heal. Bombs are your friends here, nuke the Ranger and the Pet and their condition removal goes down significantly, also wait till after their Healing spring. Remember that confusion hurts rangers a lot too, so save it up to try and get a lot on them. Also pistol 2 bounces, and as Rangers use pets you can get 4 confusion on them just from that skill.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

in Engineer

Posted by: Ameno.6813

Ameno.6813

Stability? What’s that? There ain’t no such thing as stability in my mine field.

And then proceed to CC the hell out of them.