Engineering in WvW as RP

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Posted by: Apparition.1576

Apparition.1576

I guess I am somewhat of a roleplayer. My new favorite class is engineer, but I have some concerns about playing a specific role in World vs World as an actual Engineer. This is not about solo roaming or zerg fights or anything like that. But for the most part, World vs World seems mostly about zergs engaging other zergs and taking over towers.

This usually leads to groups just capping and recapping towers camp etc.. I am not sure what to suggest but it is not very engaging to actually defend structures. I feel an obligation whenever I touch my Engineer (and sometimes my Charr Warrior) to focus on running supplies, building siege, refreshing siege etc…

But it is amazing how boring this can be… I would like to know if there are any others like myself out there who likes the thought of bringing a little RP to the class in World vs World in terms on fulfilling your role. Also, any ideas on improving the activities/fun with defending a base and building its defenses.

These are just some ideas I just came up with on the fly (since Engineer is a fairly broad term), that would list a few fun ways to play Engineer in a RP setting.

Demolition Expert
Siege/Defense Engineer
Inventory/Supply Manager

One day.. all of you shall submit to the Flame Legion…. to me… I AM BLADABOS

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Posted by: AngelsShadow.7360

AngelsShadow.7360

Well.. I suppose you could max out the siege masteries so whenever you run with a zerg or whatever, you will always be able to participate in that sense. You could throw grenades into a zerg from 1500 range, or run with the cleave with bomb kit/Elixir Gun – providing lots of nice boons. I think though, that the best way you could Roleplay an Engineer would be to come up with your own way of doing it (as that’s what the class is all about right?).

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I RP it in the sense that Engineer is the closest thing to a modern soldier, especially if you’re a charr player. Whenever i get a kill, i yell OO-RAH on mumble or TANGO DOWN.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

i like the idea but then you’d have to add class specialties for every class not just engineer. and then there’d be the issue of balancing all these specialties and let’s face it anet doesn’t do the greatest job of balancing. but if such a method were to surface it might give me a reason to wvwvw ina way that’s beneficial for my server instead of just solo roaming and killing wvwvw baddies. that and zergplay i find just incredibly boring.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Posted by: GorgeousDave.9608

GorgeousDave.9608

^ further to the good points these guys stated, I’d say there’s lots of opportunities for RP type Engi-roles in WvW.

I can only speak combat wise, but as an example, last night playing for Desolation in Baruch Bay (I think) we had catapulted that corner of their wall down right at the left hand side of the map past the supply camp (can’t remember the name of the keep?)

Anyway, we had catapulted the wall down and moved further in ready to launch an attack on the keep. Enemy zerg were trying to push back in, but we had them bottlenecked through the hole in the wall we’d created.

I posted up on the top of the enemy wall right above where the bottleneck was and spent 5 minutes just raining grenades onto the bottleneck with the odd break to chuck a Supply Crate Drop or an Elixir Gun 5 down for the friendly melee fighters below. Held wave after wave off with a smaller force and managed to take the keep.

Was good fun and a good example of how if you play smart, play different and position yourself well constantly, you’ll always have a kinda Engineer-y RP situation to invent (see what i did there) in WvW.

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

^ further to the good points these guys stated, I’d say there’s lots of opportunities for RP type Engi-roles in WvW.

I can only speak combat wise, but as an example, last night playing for Desolation in Baruch Bay (I think) we had catapulted that corner of their wall down right at the left hand side of the map past the supply camp (can’t remember the name of the keep?)

Anyway, we had catapulted the wall down and moved further in ready to launch an attack on the keep. Enemy zerg were trying to push back in, but we had them bottlenecked through the hole in the wall we’d created.

I posted up on the top of the enemy wall right above where the bottleneck was and spent 5 minutes just raining grenades onto the bottleneck with the odd break to chuck a Supply Crate Drop or an Elixir Gun 5 down for the friendly melee fighters below. Held wave after wave off with a smaller force and managed to take the keep.

Was good fun and a good example of how if you play smart, play different and position yourself well constantly, you’ll always have a kinda Engineer-y RP situation to invent (see what i did there) in WvW.

That’s not RPing. That’s just using what tools are given to you at the moment. My advice is to never RP in a pvp setting, ever. Seriously whenever I saw Celestial Hills in TERA during a battlegrounds match I would groan very loudly over the mic because 9 times out of 10 they would RP and our team would lose as a result due to them not actually playing competitively but rather from an RP standpoint.
So during PVP just leave your RP boots at the door and pick them back up when you return.

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Posted by: Nate.8146

Nate.8146

When I first entered WvW, I had huge expectations. That quickly died when I realized how simplified the mechanics were. One commander, stack on him, then roam around the country side capping territory you owned not less than 10 minutes ago. It gets dull very fast and you’re not alone in this. What keeps me most excited is when I’m on the defence in forts (not keeps, those are not as exciting). The guild I use to chill with referred to it as the Alamo. Often outnumbered, but we were highly skilled players that kept their zerg out. When they charged, they took heavy losses and had to regroup. It’s the best fun I had in WvW. You never knew when the next wave might be your last and that thrill was just really good.

For everything else though, you just have to roll with the zerg. This game is less about RTS or RP and more about capture the point. I’d like to suggest the game devs consider new experiences with WvW. To take ideas from games like Savage, Tribes, DOTA, etc. But, WvW has always been a 3rd class citizen in this game and it’s likely to stay that way.

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Posted by: GorgeousDave.9608

GorgeousDave.9608

Doesn’t everyone kind of RP in a small way in their head whilst playing though? Maybe that’s just me then. Surely RP’ers can merge the necessities of successful PVP play with a bit of RP’ing within reason, without anyone spitting their dummy out coz they’re not ‘elite’ and serious enough.

A group of engineers could no doubt RP while staying more than competitive/useful to their server as a roaming group supply capping etc. Hell of a lot more beneficial to the overall performance of the server than people entering just to lounge around at the BLTP etc.

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Apparition.1576

When I first entered WvW, I had huge expectations. That quickly died when I realized how simplified the mechanics were. One commander, stack on him, then roam around the country side capping territory you owned not less than 10 minutes ago. It gets dull very fast and you’re not alone in this. What keeps me most excited is when I’m on the defence in forts (not keeps, those are not as exciting). The guild I use to chill with referred to it as the Alamo. Often outnumbered, but we were highly skilled players that kept their zerg out. When they charged, they took heavy losses and had to regroup. It’s the best fun I had in WvW. You never knew when the next wave might be your last and that thrill was just really good.

For everything else though, you just have to roll with the zerg. This game is less about RTS or RP and more about capture the point. I’d like to suggest the game devs consider new experiences with WvW. To take ideas from games like Savage, Tribes, DOTA, etc. But, WvW has always been a 3rd class citizen in this game and it’s likely to stay that way.

If you have ever been in some decent 5 man’s you would know that is not the only way to play WvW. That’s the problem with people in this game, people always feel like there is one way to do things. People should spend more time being creative and learning other fun ways to make an effective team.

Sure you can have a blob or whatever just follow the commander, stack, etc.. But small skirmishes can also be very effective. I will give you an example.

There is a large battle taking place, mostly based on momentum resulting in the most part a stalemate.

A small group of elementalists devise of a place to turn the tides of battle the next time their commander is pushed back. They patiently wait on a hillside for their chance to strike. Suddenly, 5 Staff elementalists syncronize their meteor showers and rain down on the enemy as they pursue. To further strengthen their sudden strike, they transform into a Tornado. The intensity of the meteors magnify.. at that moment the stalemate was broken. The enemy was either dead or retreated back to their tower.

Battles are as simple as you want them to be.

What about those old school Warcraft 3 days.. where you have a big army fighting.. then suddenly those peons in the backside of the orc army start building massive amounts of towers to reinforce the army.

You can have a party of supply masters apply some similar techniques. They could synchronize to rush build 2 or 3 arrowcarts as their commander charges in for the attack and change the tides of battle by raining in arrows forcing the enemy to die or retreat.

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

My advice is to never RP in a pvp setting, ever. Seriously whenever I saw Celestial Hills in TERA during a battlegrounds match I would groan very loudly over the mic because 9 times out of 10 they would RP and our team would lose as a result due to them not actually playing competitively but rather from an RP standpoint.

Which would probably mean hey had a lot more fun than you did though.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Apparition.1576

That doesn’t even make any sense.. how do u lose in WvW because someone decides to RP… essentially play a given role?….

Engineering in WvW as RP

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

If nothing else, you could always be a dolyak nanny that threatens to shoot anything that comes within 50 feet of it.