Engineers don't use rifles

in Engineer

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

I hate when people call things something they aren’t. You wouldn’t call a pitchfork a spade would you? Or a knife a fork? So why are all engineer firearms larger than pistols called rifles. The fact is they aren’t rifles at all, its wrong and misleading.

A blunderbuss is not a rifle
A musket is not a rifle
A shotgun is not a rifle

The difference is rather large for anyone who actually knows how these weapons actually work. The rifle is a weapon accurate at long range for a start and above are not. I won’t go into technical differences but they are quite different weapons…as different as a mace and a sword.

The abilities you use for a rifle actually suit a shotgun/blunderbuss or even musket, they do not suit a rifle. The difference being the former mentioned are short range weapons and the rifle is long range. Scatter shot for example is suitable for shotguns/blunderbuss but not for a rifle!

Its not a big deal but you have to admit it makes you think about the people who actually designed engineers. Its seems a very silly mistake to make.

Ideally i would love to have the choice of shotgun/blunderbuss or rifle for longer range, however unlikely to happen. I know someone will bring up real life but if i wanted to slate engineers from a realism point of view i would be here a while.

in Engineer

Posted by: Choops.3710

Choops.3710

We know. We’ve known for a while.

Pikachoops – Engineer, Fort Aspenwood

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilanil.4721

Nilanil.4721

I know, right?

What about elixir’s? How the heck is an elixir gun supposed to work? Elixir’s are taken orally. It’s just ridiculous to think that you’re running around squirting everyone in the face with a suped up super-soaker™ hoping they swallow someting.

oO

in Engineer

Posted by: Melifor.4815

Melifor.4815

Not to mention that after being shot in the face you won’t die, you will simply loose few ta da health points. It is very realistic. But once again, not always more realistic means more fun.

in Engineer

Posted by: Keelin.5781

Keelin.5781

Engineers use Rifles because that is the name of the Weapon Type.

That being said, yeah Engies totally use shotguns.
I hear that they were two different weapon types early on but were then rolled into one.

in Engineer

Conan.8046

Not to mention that after being shot in the face you won’t die, you will simply loose few ta da health points. It is very realistic. But once again, not always more realistic means more fun.

Its not supposed to be a realistic. That doesn’t mean calling a sword a mace is right anymore than a blunderbuss is a rifle.

in Engineer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Eh I’d be happy if they just startrd shooting from the shoulder and be done with it.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: JobCreator.1956

JobCreator.1956

I know, right? It’s also silly that any gunpowder propelled projectile will not travel nearly as far as the handful of grenades I throw using only the power of my arm. This stuff is important. Seriously.

The kitten mightier than the sword.

in Engineer

Posted by: mecra.5780

mecra.5780

I agree with the OP. The polish of the concept of the game just isn’t there yet. Like being unable to sort items in the TP by what you can actually use?

Kinda feels like ANET is too busy doing new content instead of taking a step back and fixing existing. That being said, some people don’t care about polish, but I’m not one of those people.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

“Rifle” is the weapon type. And the evolution of language has deemed that it has become a catch-all, in our modern society. That’s why we have the term “smoothbore rifle”. Which would be a contradiction if the term “rifle” wasn’t a catchall. Language evolves much the same way “witch” isn’t used in common modern society to signify a wise woman.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Engineer

Posted by: Weirwynn.2390

Weirwynn.2390

Rifles don’t shoot nets, either.

Clearly, the weapons started as rifles—before engineers got ahold of them. :P

in Engineer

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

Because most people don’t know that “Pistol” describes any firearm that is typically used one-handed. The term for firearms used typically with two hands is “Longarm”, thus the phrase “Longarm of the Law”, which was usually a Remington. “Shotgun” originally started because the guy in the seat next to the stagecoach driver carried a shotgun in case of Indian or Outlaw attack.

The more you know. *woosh*rainbow*

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

in Engineer

Melifor.4815

Its not supposed to be a realistic. That doesn’t mean calling a sword a mace is right anymore than a blunderbuss is a rifle.

I know, but “rifle” is just something everyone knows. For example, if I would found in game a weapon called blunderbuss, I’d have to google what the heck is it? While “rifle” is something everyone understand. Rifle=two handed gun. Simple and everyone knows what it is. I mean swords are not siply swords to. there are lots of sword types and some of them can beraly be called swords, but still, calling, for example, a rapier a sword is an easy way to name it, because not everyone are even familiar with the “rapier” word.

in Engineer

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

I know, but “rifle” is just something everyone knows. For example, if I would found in game a weapon called blunderbuss, I’d have to google what the heck is it? While “rifle” is something everyone understand. Rifle=two handed gun. Simple and everyone knows what it is. I mean swords are not siply swords to. there are lots of sword types and some of them can beraly be called swords, but still, calling, for example, a rapier a sword is an easy way to name it, because not everyone are even familiar with the “rapier” word.

Additional fun fact: There is no such thing as a Rifle. Rifling is the process of putting a grooved etching inside the barrel of a longarm, twisted or otherwise. The spiral grooves were originally designed to make the gun easier to clean. It was a fluke that it also caused bullets to spin, making them fly further and straighter.

I wish more gaming companies understood the terms they blithely toss around. Another game I play calls their Heavy Infantry from the Industrial Period “Howitzers”. WHAT?! Anyway, the more you know.

*woosh*rainbow*

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

in Engineer

Melifor.4815

Additional fun fact: There is no such thing as a Rifle. Rifling is the process of putting a grooved etching inside the barrel of a longarm, twisted or otherwise. The spiral grooves were originally designed to make the gun easier to clean. It was a fluke that it also caused bullets to spin, making them fly further and straighter.

I wish more gaming companies understood the terms they blithely toss around. Another game I play calls their Heavy Infantry from the Industrial Period “Howitzers”. WHAT?! Anyway, the more you know.

*woosh*rainbow*

The less you know the better you sleep… well, it only refers to mafia and saff, but you got the point. It is called common language (or whatever it is called), what you wrote are detailes most don’t know and don’t even want to know. Yea, I agree, more you know better, but when it comes to a PC game which is made to have fun, all tohse “scientific” and “historical” details are not important.

in Engineer

Conan.8046

*woosh*rainbow*

Wrong, there is a such thing as a rifle.

A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder, with a barrel that has a helical groove or pattern of grooves (“rifling”) cut into the barrel walls.

Rifling and a rifle are not one and the same.

in Engineer

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

This is a fictional world where magic exists and we don’t have to reload. They can call the weapon whatever they want and they can shoot it however they want.

You want realism? Go play outside.

in Engineer

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

seriously…

…glittery bows…

…that shoot magical rainbow unicorns…

…and you start a thread about realism in projectile weapons HERE!?

…I’m facepalming so hard I can reach the part of my brain that forced me to respond to this thread and choke it to death…

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

in Engineer

Conan.8046

seriously…

…glittery bows…

…I’m facepalming so hard I can reach the part of my brain that forced me to respond to this thread and choke it to death…

You had a facepalm too many because you seriously need to learn to read.

in Engineer

Conan.8046

This is a fictional world where magic exists and we don’t have to reload. They can call the weapon whatever they want and they can shoot it however they want.

So the meaning of words in english no longer matters right? That’s the stupidest thing i have ever read on any forum anywhere.

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

So the meaning of words in english no longer matters right? That’s the stupidest thing i have ever read on any forum anywhere.

The meaning of the word “rifle” in English includes guns that aren’t rifled. The English language has evolved to include smoothbore weapons as rifles. So there is no problem.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ziploc Samurai.4186

Ziploc Samurai.4186

Can’t tell if serious thread or not…

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I hate when people call things something they aren’t. You wouldn’t call a pitchfork a spade would you? Or a knife a fork? So why are all engineer firearms larger than pistols called rifles. The fact is they aren’t rifles at all, its wrong and misleading.

A blunderbuss is not a rifle
A musket is not a rifle
A shotgun is not a rifle

The difference is rather large for anyone who actually knows how these weapons actually work. The rifle is a weapon accurate at long range for a start and above are not. I won’t go into technical differences but they are quite different weapons…as different as a mace and a sword.

The abilities you use for a rifle actually suit a shotgun/blunderbuss or even musket, they do not suit a rifle. The difference being the former mentioned are short range weapons and the rifle is long range. Scatter shot for example is suitable for shotguns/blunderbuss but not for a rifle!

Its not a big deal but you have to admit it makes you think about the people who actually designed engineers. Its seems a very silly mistake to make.

Ideally i would love to have the choice of shotgun/blunderbuss or rifle for longer range, however unlikely to happen. I know someone will bring up real life but if i wanted to slate engineers from a realism point of view i would be here a while.

the second muskets came with rifling, they were called rifles. other than that sure whatever you’re right.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

u’re so small-minded….realistic?!?!?

Don’t f…..ng even hint on that.

While here still
Rat sized asura warrior knoks-out 3m Norn. And this races has the same stats.
OHh, and more realistic u can carry with u 100 greatswords…really. And jump, run, swim with that.

Another one, u really belive in magic?)

I think u better ask devs about the riffles names before judge them.

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

(edited by Hvaran.6327)

in Engineer

Nilanil.4721

*woosh*rainbow*

Wrong, there is a such thing as a rifle.

A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder, with a barrel that has a helical groove or pattern of grooves (“rifling”) cut into the barrel walls.

Rifling and a rifle are not one and the same.

“Furthermore, in many works of fiction a rifle refers to any weapon that has a stock and is shouldered before firing, even if the weapon is not rifled or does not fire solid projectiles (e.g. a “laser rifle”)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle

GW2 is a work of fiction. Let it go… =)

(edited by Nilanil.4721)

in Engineer

Conan.8046

“Furthermore, in many works of fiction a rifle refers to any weapon that has a stock and is shouldered before firing, even if the weapon is not rifled or does not fire solid projectiles (e.g. a “laser rifle”)."

That quote isn’t in the link.

World English Dictionary
rifle 1 (?ra?f ? l)

— n
1. a. a firearm having a long barrel with a spirally grooved interior, which imparts to the bullet spinning motion and thus greater accuracy over a longer range
b. ( as modifier ): rifle fire
2. (formerly) a large cannon with a rifled bore
3. one of the grooves in a rifled bore
4. ( plural )
a. a unit of soldiers equipped with rifles
b. ( capital when part of a name ): the Rifle Brigade

— vb
5. to cut or mould spiral grooves inside the barrel of (a gun)
6. to throw or hit (a ball) with great speed

Where i find that? A dictionary if you can find me a single dictionary that states “lazer rifle” as the correct use of the term rifle i will be very interested.

Definition: A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder, which fires a single projectile (bullet) through a barrel which contains spiral grooves in its bore. (The bore is the hole through the middle of the barrel.) Along with shotguns, these are often called “long guns.”

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/g/rifle.htm

Here’s a kitten documentary =https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73wqN41Ns-w

(edited by Conan.8046)

in Engineer

Nilanil.4721

That quote isn’t in the link.

World English Dictionary
rifle 1 (?ra?f ? l)

— n
1. a. a firearm having a long barrel with a spirally grooved interior, which imparts to the bullet spinning motion and thus greater accuracy over a longer range
b. ( as modifier ): rifle fire
2. (formerly) a large cannon with a rifled bore
3. one of the grooves in a rifled bore
4. ( plural )
a. a unit of soldiers equipped with rifles
b. ( capital when part of a name ): the Rifle Brigade

— vb
5. to cut or mould spiral grooves inside the barrel of (a gun)
6. to throw or hit (a ball) with great speed

Where i find that? A dictionary if you can find me a single dictionary that states “lazer rifle” as the correct use of the term rifle i will be very interested.

Definition: A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder, which fires a single projectile (bullet) through a barrel which contains spiral grooves in its bore. (The bore is the hole through the middle of the barrel.) Along with shotguns, these are often called “long guns.”

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/g/rifle.htm

Here’s a kitten documentary =https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73wqN41Ns-w

What part of the word “fiction” don’t you understand?

http://www.giantbomb.com/pulse-rifle/3055-1794/
http://www.giantbomb.com/laser-sniper-rifle/3055-4314/
http://www.giantbomb.com/needle-rifle/3055-3545/
http://www.giantbomb.com/xl-808-hydro-plasmatic-rifle/3055-3139/
http://www.giantbomb.com/focus-rifle/3055-3544/
http://www.giantbomb.com/t-55-storm-rifle/3055-5703/
Etc…

Fictional rifles from many games. It is a common usage of the term. Get over it.

“That quote isn’t in the link.”

Of course it is, you just failed to read it. 3rd paragraph; I’ll quote the whole thing for you.

“Typically, a bullet is propelled by the contained deflagration of an explosive compound (originally black powder, later cordite, and now nitrocellulose), although other means such as compressed air are used in air rifles, which are popular for vermin control, hunting small game, formal target shooting and casual shooting (”plinking").
In most armed forces the term “gun” is incorrect when referring to small arms; in military parlance, the word “gun” refers to an artillery piece or crew-served machine gun. Furthermore, in many works of fiction a rifle refers to any weapon that has a stock and is shouldered before firing, even if the weapon is not rifled or does not fire solid projectiles (e.g. a “laser rifle”).

(edited by Nilanil.4721)

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

People can make the fiction argument all they want, it still remains true that the game was based off of real life methods and weaponry and until they treat it as such it will forever not be what it should be. ie the grenades and bombs and mines and how they don’t function like they should not to mention the slow pistol speeds and how only one pistol is being fired at once.

We need a rifle/sniper kit. plain and simple.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Nilanil.4721

People can make the fiction argument all they want, it still remains true that the game was based off of real life methods and weaponry and until they treat it as such it will forever not be what it should be. ie the grenades and bombs and mines and how they don’t function like they should not to mention the slow pistol speeds and how only one pistol is being fired at once.

We need a rifle/sniper kit. plain and simple.

That’s a whole other thing. I’m not sure I agree, but I don’t disagree either. =)

in Engineer

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

sniper kit – makes engineer lie down with rifle and unable to move.
Skills:
snipe – 5 second cast long range attack
reload – switch magazine and throw empty one into someones face at close range
roll to the left – do a barrel roll to the left, evading attacks
roll to the right – do a barrel roll to the right, applying bandages on the way
camouflage – open a can of cola and channel stealth for a long duration, cancelling skill will cancel stealth

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

seriously…

…glittery bows…

You had a facepalm too many because you seriously need to learn to read.

You either need to learn the concept of fantasy, or your ability to assimilate complex concepts is about at sharp as a soggy biscuit.

If there’s a weapon who’s projectiles are magical rainbow unicorns and you’re paying no mind at all to it being called a shortbow or longbow, yet are insistent upon a purely semantic argument about rifles, perhaps you chose the placement of your soap box poorly…Crazy Town is a block over, you’ll know it by the posters of Twilight and the Jonas Brothers, and the blaring sound track to the High School Musical…I’m certain they’ll hear you out.

in Engineer

Conan.8046

You either need to learn the concept of fantasy, or your ability to assimilate complex concepts is about at sharp as a soggy biscuit.

If there’s a weapon who’s projectiles are magical rainbow unicorns and you’re paying no mind at all to it being called a shortbow or longbow, yet are insistent upon a purely semantic argument about rifles, perhaps you chose the placement of your soap box poorly…Crazy Town is a block over, you’ll know it by the posters of Twilight and the Jonas Brothers, and the blaring sound track to the High School Musical…I’m certain they’ll hear you out.

Where as this forum has people too dumb to understand the meaning of a word. Just because some people don’t know what a rifle is that doesn’t make it right.

However you bring up thakittens fantasy, fair enough lets go there shall we, you assume in a fantasy game if it says armour it refers to protective clothing and not a spade or perhaps in you world you don’t because you haven’t read anything more complex than Hello Kitty.

in Engineer

Posted by: Judge.1923

Judge.1923

Call it whatever the hell you want, just give me First Mate Horricks Cannon to shoot…

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

Where as this forum has people too dumb to understand the meaning of a word. Just because some people don’t know what a rifle is that doesn’t make it right.

However you bring up thakittens fantasy, fair enough lets go there shall we, you assume in a fantasy game if it says armour it refers to protective clothing and not a spade or perhaps in you world you don’t because you haven’t read anything more complex than Hello Kitty.

Thanks for validating my statement.

I find it’s better not to argue with people who are fully capable of providing evidence of their incompetence without my assistance.

in Engineer

Nilanil.4721

I find it’s better not to argue with people who are fully capable of providing evidence of their incompetence without my assistance.

Or, to use one of my favorite quotes: “I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.”.

in Engineer

Conan.8046

Funny coming from a person that can’t actually type sentences that make sense half the time.
My incompetence eh? clearly don’t know what that means either seeing your using it wrongly. Thanks for making an idiot of yourself.

I won’t argue with an idiot you like you anymore, you will drag me down to your idiotic level and beat me with experience.

(edited by Conan.8046)

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

Or, to use one of my favorite quotes: “I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.”.

Or, “Never argue with an Idiot. They’ll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Seriously tempted to just derail this thread with these types of quotes until it gets locked or deleted by a mod.

Clearly there’s nothing of value to be gleaned by the community from this thread, lol.

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

Funny coming from a person that can’t actually type sentences that make sense half the time.
My incompetence eh? clearly don’t know what that means either seeing your using it wrongly. Thanks for making an idiot of yourself.

I won’t argue with an idiot you like you anymore, you will drag me down to your idiotic level and beat me with experience.

…and now I know why some species eat their young…

in Engineer

Nilanil.4721

Or, “Never argue with an Idiot. They’ll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Seriously tempted to just derail this thread with these types of quotes until it gets locked or deleted by a mod.

Clearly there’s nothing of value to be gleaned by the community from this thread, lol.

I think I’m done arguing the point. I’ve also been too tempted to cross into ad hominem territory. Rather than derail, how about refocusing on the one bit worth some discussion. Do Engi’s need a long range option? My personal feeling is no. However, my engi’s only 32 and my opinion might change as I get more experience.

Edit: We have long range skills. I don’t think we need a separate “sniper rifle kit”.

(edited by Nilanil.4721)

in Engineer

Conan.8046

I think I’m done arguing the point. I’ve also been too tempted to cross into ad hominem territory. Rather than derail, how about refocusing on the one bit worth some discussion. Do Engi’s need a long range option? My personal feeling is no. However, my engi’s only 32 and my opinion might change as I get more experience.

Edit: We have long range skills. I don’t think we need a separate “sniper rifle kit”.

Do you actually know what the long range skills are? Grenade kit. That itself is great in certain situations but you will notice drawbacks when using it. HGH made engineers with grenadier are pretty much your standard WvW build, some would argue the only real viable build.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jigain.8231

Jigain.8231

AHMAGERD I know right?!?!?!?! I mean like one day I was like running through a sylvari area and one of the other players like said “this rose has thorns” and there was like no roses anywhere?!?!?!?! I’ve looked and there are no roses in the game?!?!?!?!? Devs don’t even know what a rose is defined as in the english language?!?!?!?!?!?! Worst game ever, -5/10, unsub!!!!!! Amg!

This post may contain a high concentration of sarcasm and irony.
If you are allergic to these ingredients, do not consume.

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

That’s a fair attempt to salvage this thread.

I think, when it really comes down to it, the Engineer has no long range specific weapons. Granted the Rifled Barrels trait can work us up to a 1200 range on our Rifles and Elixir Guns, but the majority of these skills are close proximity use (Blunderbuss, Overcharged, Jump Shot, Fumigate, Acid Bomb, Super Elixir) and as such emphasize being close to your target despite improved range.

My thoughts here are more towards the removal of everyones favorite elite skill to hate, Mortar, and replace it with a “Sniper Kit”. Let it lock you in place still but give you stealth instead of stability, but have really high damage 1500 range abilities on really long cool downs. Make each skill a target zone of the body that applies a condition based on it’s selected area, like the an Disarming Shot that causes lots of weakness, a Knee Shot that causes immobilize, a Body Shot that causes bleeding and vulnerability, and a Head Shot that has a long warm up time like Kill Shot and does big damage. The fifth skill could be a party support skill that grants might or fury.

Simply put, Engineers have ranged options, but even as the exclusively ranged weapon class it is, it lacks any real stopping power at (or beyond) 900 range.

in Engineer

Conan.8046

AHMAGERD I know right?!?!?!?! I mean like one day I was like running through a sylvari area and one of the other players like said “this rose has thorns” and there was like no roses anywhere?!?!?!?! I’ve looked and there are no roses in the game?!?!?!?!? Devs don’t even know what a rose is defined as in the english language?!?!?!?!?!?! Worst game ever, -5/10, unsub!!!!!! Amg!

OMG your right! Rifle is a metaphor too!

in Engineer

Nilanil.4721

Do you actually know what the long range skills are? Grenade kit. That itself is great in certain situations but you will notice drawbacks when using it. HGH made engineers with grenadier are pretty much your standard WvW build, some would argue the only real viable build.

Hip Shot- 1000
Net Shot- 1000
Explosive shot- 900 (same as shortbow)
Poison dart volley- 900
Static shot- 900
All grenades- 1200
Throw Mine- 900
Throw Napalm- 900
Rifle turret- 1000
Rocket turret- 1200
Tranquilizer dart- 900
Elixir F- 900
Mortar- 1400

Engineers appear to me to be close/moderate-range class by design. You want long range (1200), use grenades. What’s the problem?

(edited by Nilanil.4721)

in Engineer

Nilanil.4721

That’s a fair attempt to salvage this thread.

I think, when it really comes down to it, the Engineer has no long range specific weapons. Granted the Rifled Barrels trait can work us up to a 1200 range on our Rifles and Elixir Guns, but the majority of these skills are close proximity use (Blunderbuss, Overcharged, Jump Shot, Fumigate, Acid Bomb, Super Elixir) and as such emphasize being close to your target despite improved range.

My thoughts here are more towards the removal of everyones favorite elite skill to hate, Mortar, and replace it with a “Sniper Kit”. Let it lock you in place still but give you stealth instead of stability, but have really high damage 1500 range abilities on really long cool downs. Make each skill a target zone of the body that applies a condition based on it’s selected area, like the an Disarming Shot that causes lots of weakness, a Knee Shot that causes immobilize, a Body Shot that causes bleeding and vulnerability, and a Head Shot that has a long warm up time like Kill Shot and does big damage. The fifth skill could be a party support skill that grants might or fury.

Simply put, Engineers have ranged options, but even as the exclusively ranged weapon class it is, it lacks any real stopping power at (or beyond) 900 range.

All grenade abilities are 1200, so that one is a long range specific weapon.

That sounds like a fun idea, but it seems to go completely against the general theme of mobility that the devs intended in all of the combat design. That, and I really don’t see it as something the class needs. Are you thinking in terms of PvP? I’m not a PvPer so I won’t comment on that aspect of the game at all.

in Engineer

Conan.8046

That sounds like a fun idea, but it seems to go completely against the general theme of mobility that the devs intended in all of the combat design. That, and I really don’t see it as something the class needs. Are you thinking in terms of PvP? I’m not a PvPer so I won’t comment on that aspect of the game at all.

No grenades when speced are 1500 range. Which is the longest range in the game. What you don’t get if you don’t pvp its thakittens very hard to hit anyone with grenades at that sort of range because they travel so slowly..you have to predict like 3 seconds ahead where they will be. Its not easy. Unless you just spamming them into a group ofcourse. They are also the best source of engineer damage along with bombs, if engineer was about mobility we wouldn’t have turrets!
If you want to do the best you can do, best get used to them.

(edited by Conan.8046)

in Engineer

Nilanil.4721

No grenades when speced are 1500 range. Which is the longest range in the game. What you don’t get if you don’t pvp its thakittens very hard to hit anyone with grenades at that sort of range because they travel so slowly..you have to predict like 3 seconds ahead where they will be. Its not easy. Unless you just spamming them into a group ofcourse. They are also the best source of engineer damage along with bombs, if engineer was about mobility we wouldn’t have turrets!
If you want to do the best you can do, best get used to them.

1) 1500 range when specced. I was talking base damage, I’m not here to split hairs.
2) Don’t PvP- no comment.
3) Some professions are better at mobility than others, but all professions are meant to be mobile. It’s a core aspect of the game’s combat mechanics. Why does Throw Wrench have a 900 range? You can’t move around while your turrets stay put?

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Savage Model Mark I-GSB Smooth Bore Rimfire Rifle

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/savage/savageMarkIGSB.asp

Real life example of how modern usage assigns the term “rifle” to a smoothbore weapon.

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

Hitting anything other than stationary targets with a grenade at 1200 (1500 traited) in even a remotely viable manner is simply impractical for that long travel time of the projectile. They’re liable to see the grenade, take a sip of their drink, toggle walk, and leisurely stroll out of danger.

Now when it comes down to mobility focus in the game design I’d have to point you at every siege weapon in WvW aside from the (Siege Golem), a mirad of environmental PvE controllable turrets/cannons and even more specifically class based, the Mortar elite and both Tome elites for the Guardian. Sacrificing mobility for superior firepower is very much a combat element in Guild Wars 2.

in Engineer

Posted by: JobCreator.1956

JobCreator.1956

Such logic being thrown around in this thread, yet no response to the fact that grenades are thrown(with your arm) yet they have more range than a bullet from either pistol or rifle. This makes no sense. ANet needs to make grenade ranges more realistic, maybe exchange their current range with pistol’s. Then make pistols have current rifle range, and rifles current grenade(1500 upgraded) range. I think we can all agree that this would make things more realistic.

The kitten mightier than the sword.