Engineers feel so unrealistic

in Engineer

Posted by: luna.4916

luna.4916

When I play the class, it feels I’m all always pulling things out of my butt.
Like.. it doesn’t feel right when I conjure big turrets out of no where. Where was my character keeping these things? Does she really drag them along with her everywhere she goes?

It just feels like my character is always carrying so much stuff.. like unlimited grenades and big heavy bombs for example.
And how about that Airdrop Elite skill? Where does THAT stuff come from? There are planes in Tyria? And if there are, how did my character send coordinates to an aircraft to drop supplies to her position?
Anyone else feel the same?

in Engineer

Posted by: Schixeno.8596

Schixeno.8596

I usually don’t reply like this but… is this thread serious? If so, LOL

in Engineer

luna.4916

Its a legitimate question. I know its a fantasy game and all, but out of any class I ever played in an MMO, this one just feels so… unplausible..

in Engineer

Schixeno.8596

Maybe the Engineer uses magic to do those things

It’s no different from conjuring fireballs

(But on a serious note, IMO, those are game mechanics, and I don’t think it’s a direct representation of the idea of Engineers and how they fight in the lore)

in Engineer

luna.4916

Maybe the Engineer uses magic to do those things

It’s no different from conjuring fireballs

(But on a serious note, IMO, those are game mechanics, and I don’t think it’s a direct representation of the idea of Engineers and how they fight in the lore)

Yeah, if it was magic, I could buy that. It just really bothers me laying down huge heavy bombs that I got ‘somehow’.. and have many of. So it really would make me wonder how lore-wise engineers fight indeed.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

Like.. it doesn’t feel right when I conjure big turrets out of no where. Where was my character keeping these things? Does she really drag them along with her everywhere she goes?

It just feels like my character is always carrying so much stuff.. like unlimited grenades and big heavy bombs for example.
And how about that Airdrop Elite skill? Where does THAT stuff come from? There are planes in Tyria? And if there are, how did my character send coordinates to an aircraft to drop supplies to her position?

Right, because turning into lightening to shoot forward, summoning undead, having a pet scorpion that follows your commands, healing people by yelling (shouts), going invisible to stealth, and cloning yourself with magic feels so realistic.

If you do not like the feel of the class, do not play it. No need make troll thread to flaunt your distaste on the sub forum of the profession.

Yeah, if it was magic, I could buy that. It just really bothers me laying down huge heavy bombs that I got ‘somehow’.. and have many of. So it really would make me wonder how lore-wise engineers fight indeed.

Yeah, because conjuring turrets makes much less sense then conjuring clones, scorpions, a thieves guild, summoning undead minions, magic ectoplasmic spirit shields/hammers/swords, flame birds, ice/rock golem or a lightening orb that is sentient.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

(edited by coglin.1496)

in Engineer

Schixeno.8596

Why can people take so hundreds of gunshots to the chest and survive? It’s a game mechanic. If the game was to be completely logical, lore based and “realistic”, a sword should slice right through enemies. Any single gunshot should kill. An engineer would only need to bring a few grenades with him, since explosions would blow his enemies into smithereens.

But that wouldn’t be fun.

(edited by Schixeno.8596)

in Engineer

Posted by: Gurt.9368

Gurt.9368

Never underestimate the power of hammerspace.

in Engineer

luna.4916

Right, because turning into lightening to shoot forward, summoning undead, having a pet scorpion that follows your commands, healing people by yelling (shouts), going invisible to stealth, and cloning yourself with magic feels so realistic.

If you do not like the feel of the class, do not play it. No need make troll thread to flaunt your distaste on the sub forum of the profession.

This isn’t a troll thread. Its something that makes perfect sense if you think about it. Also turning into lightning and summoning and whatnot is an application of magic, something we’re all familiar with and a recognized craft in the game world.
Conjuring gadgets and heavy weaponry from thin-air however is something I’m not familiar with at all so I was curious if people had a way of explaining that.

Why can people take so hundreds of gunshots to the chest and survive? It’s a game mechanic. If the game was to be completely logical, lore based and “realistic”, a sword should slice right through enemies. Any single gunshot should kill. An engineer would only need to bring a few grenades with him, since explosions would blow his enemies into smithereens.

But that wouldn’t be fun.

This is a helpful response. It would make more sense then if what we see in guild wars 2 on screen isn’t what would happen lose-wise at all but rather a different representation of it. Interesting way to think about it.

(edited by luna.4916)

in Engineer

Schixeno.8596

I wouldn’t go as far to say the OP is a troll. The thing is, being able to summon undead, and turning into lightning could well be a part of the world lore.

However, thiefs going invisible to stealth is game mechanic. Like reading a good book, our imagination should be filling the gaps and determine how the fight really would’ve went down. The thief didn’t LITERALLY turn invisible, he simply hid. The idea is the thief hid so well that you don’t know where he is.

The point is OP, you need to be able to distinguishing between game mechanics and what the game is trying to tell you, Especially in a genre like MMOs where the game has to be so restrictive and limiting in how things work. Once you understand this, you’ll realize all these things are non issues.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

I wouldn’t go as far to say the OP is a troll. The thing is, being able to summon undead, and turning into lightning could well be a part of the world lore.

Building turrets is part of the lore to. Baffles me how it doesn’t seem trollish to you that posters who offer nothing constructive, create a thread to portray a professions concept in a negative light.

What did he hope to accomplish other then to bring negativity and be inflammatory?

No good can come from his comment. Its is not like he is attempting to stir an intellectual debate or offering beneficial food for thought.

What is worse, is you defend him asking his questions, but I ask counter questions and you offer some generic non-answer by saying it “could” be part of the world lore.

You justify it with straw man arguments like “The thief didn’t LITERALLY turn invisible, he simply hid”……Really? I was running 2 feet behind him, shooting him in the back with a pistol, and then he is miraculously gone from site, and we are to expected to accept your ridiculous answer for that while arguing any answer we offer the OP. Now your not even being reasonable my friend.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

(edited by coglin.1496)

in Engineer

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

It’s what makes the engineer so cool. They don’t respect this world’s authority.

in Engineer

Schixeno.8596

Building turrets is part of the lore to. Baffles me how it doesn’t seem trollish to you that posters who offer nothing constructive, create a thread to portray a professions concept in a negative light.

What did he hope to accomplish other then to bring negativity and be inflammatory?

No good can come from his comment. Its is not like he is stiring and intellectual debate or offering beneficial food for thought.

Of course turrets are a part of the lore. However, the part where the engineer conjures the turrets out of nothing IS NOT. The engineer would’ve spent some time constructing the turret as a part of the fight. However, that’s not the decision ArenaNet decided to go with when they created the game. They wanted turrets to have some mobility rather than being completely stationary, so they didn’t include the part where the engineer would spent time making the turret.

Oh and I’m sure the OP is just posting this complaint in a light mood. I don’t think he/she had the intention of defaming the Engineer.

What is worse, is you defend him asking his questions, but I ask counter questions and you offer some generic non-answer by saying it “could” be part of the world lore.
You justify it with straw man arguments like “The thief didn’t LITERALLY turn invisible, he simply hid”……Really? I was running 2 feet behind him, shooting him in the back with a pistol, and then he is miraculously gone from site, and we are to expected to accept your ridiculous answer for that while arguing any answer we offer the OP. Now your not even being reasonable my friend.

What I’m trying to explain to you is that it’s a mechanic. For example, in a fight in a castle, an agile and nimble fighter such as the thief couple use the environment to his advantage and hop behind a wall quickly. There’s no game mechanic for that, so it’s replaced by a general game mechanic of “stealth”. You’re taking the game too literally.

(edited by Schixeno.8596)

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

There’s nothing wrong with asking about the “immersion” experience of a certain profession. GW2 in general feels pretty much like you’re playing a video game, but the earlier professions (like warrior) are more like you’re…well, a warrior with a sword. The later professions have a lot of stuff that cause cool stuff to happen, but basically are “skill X creates effect Y.”

I’m okay with that because I tend to over-analyze and min-max things into oblivion. I don’t really care too much if I’m using a flamethrower or a greatsword, I just like analyzing things and creating the set of effects I want to be able to produce.

I think there are some nice professions that make you “feel” like you’re that type of fighter (warrior, ranger) and some that just have a set of effects that you’re able to produce (engineer, thief).

in Engineer

Posted by: Mangoes.5163

Mangoes.5163

basically you play the engineer class if you want to be Batman

if you don’t want to be Batman, change class

in Engineer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

In RP my character (whose a noble) has a massive warehouse completely filled with his inventions that he summons to his person with his limited magical abilities, because face it, the elixirs alone scream “You have magic!” how else would you turn into a tornado, changing in size from elixirs, etc.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Engineer

luna.4916

In RP my character (whose a noble) has a massive warehouse completely filled with his inventions that he summons to his person with his limited magical abilities, because face it, the elixirs alone scream “You have magic!” how else would you turn into a tornado, changing in size from elixirs, etc.

AHAHHAHA.

I love this explanation. I could totally see how it might work with the Engineers skills.

clap clap

Well done xD

basically you play the engineer class if you want to be Batman

if you don’t want to be Batman, change class

Bringing up Batman makes the class feel really cool now that you mention it.. never thought it that way!

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

I always imagined that there was a charr somewhere with a massive cannon that would blast out my supply crates whenever I emitted the signal for them. Maybe it’s the cattlepult guy’s night job :p

EDIT: OP made me think up something I would really like to see hanging off my backpack, turrets!

(edited by JohnDied.3476)

in Engineer

Posted by: Dabrixmgp.4758

Dabrixmgp.4758

Because it would be so hard for an engineer to make some kind of portable dimensional pocket to store all his gear in.

in Engineer

luna.4916

Because it would be so hard for an engineer to make some kind of portable dimensional pocket to store all his gear in.

So far this sounds like the best and most plausible explanation. D&D has had many such items in its lore so maybe that’s it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hawks.5736

Hawks.5736

My Engineer has a small temporal rift on his utility belt. On the other side of that rift is a factory of Dredge workers who are hard at work making new turrets to replace the ones that Im constantly blowing up having technical difficulties with.

Dexson

in Engineer

Posted by: XerxesBlack.5892

XerxesBlack.5892

I always picture my engineer to be captain of multidimensional space pirates with some large kitten ship that she either teleports this stuff from or has drop down for her.

I love these other replies though. From being Batman to Dredge minions we have entire armies behind us….

oh my goodness… we are freaking Lex Luther not Batman! We have little physical prowess but enough money to buy all this sweet crap to kill people with!

Hehe I now love this thread

Beaks N Talons [NERF] – Engineer of the great and mighty Fort Engineer guild!

in Engineer

Posted by: pioshock.7508

pioshock.7508

Well, I never had that much of a problem being unrealistic. I play the biggest charr possible and chose backpack, so there is a lot of space on my character where could I hide all these things.

While I agree it is still very unrealistic, it seems more realistic than a tiny sylvari warrior with rifle pulling his huge greatsword out of his kitten.

But I am curious, how would you like to change the engineer to be more realistic? Or was the purpose of this thread to find some excuse why it looks so unrealistic?

In that case I would go with sub-dimensional storage space and/or retractable tech (turrets being like transformers). As our downed skill “Throw junk” also shows us, engineers probably carry great amount of scrap metal with them and are able to make turrets on the spot and after the fight they salvage the material back.

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

This is just a convention that is accepted in fantasy video games. It’s not feasible that anyone carries around all the stuff they do, and swim and jump with it.

The supply crate does bug me a bit though… I would like to know where exactly it comes from…

in Engineer

Posted by: Atamaz.4195

Atamaz.4195

Ok, let’s roleplay a little(I’m not a gw2 role player but I like to let my mind be creative):
- Yes airship exist, and you see many of them in the personal story, there’s also one docked at fort trinity. How could you know if the Engineer United Corporation couldn’t have a fleet of personal airship landing crates from the sky on domand.
- For turrets it could be some tecnology similar to dragonball’s capsule that shrink even a car and a house to portable dimension.
- Endless grenade could be some endless bag like the D&D one(magic exist in this world, we’re not a magic user like scholars, but why shouldn’t we use magic items?) or you can see it as a teleportation(it could be the same for supply crate) one of the many beginning of the asura personal story is you and your crew winning the snaff prize for a teleport device that don’t require gates.
- Elixir, expecially the toolbelt throw elixir, are not magic but chemistry, something like “ok if I mix this and that…let’s see what can I have, I’ll test on my teammates”, it is the only reason I found to justify the rng and the cleansing formula 409 and HGH might effect.
- For stealth can be some device that reflect the terrain behind you.
- You can survive many bullet because probably most of the gear sold to adventurers in an era with lots of guns are bulletproof.

in Engineer

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Sorry if this was said already, but I can’t finish reading the thread with my lunch break about to end.

Here’s the easy answer: Bags of holding. How can a 20-slot starter backpack hold 5000 items? (250 × 20) How can a character cart that around without even slowing down? Because it’s a magic bag, that’s how.

I figure the engineers just carry all their stuff in a hidden bag that renders it weightless and massless while stowed. Ever play Legend of Zelda? Link basically does the exact same thing.

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

in Engineer

Posted by: Sephollos.4829

Sephollos.4829

Everything in pretty much any mmorpg is completely unrealistic. I’m carrying over 40 greatswords in my inventory right now that probably weigh 20+ pounds a piece. I have a spring-loaded ram head surgically implanted in my character’s chest. Elementalists are shooting fireballs and turning into electricity. If it’s realism you’re after, this game probably isn’t the right one for you lol.

That said, I would really like to see a mmorpg that did focus far more on realism. I think there is a lot of potential to make a historically accurate mmorpg of something like the crusades, could be used not only for game-play but also for learning purposes!

in Engineer

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Never underestimate the power of hammerpants.

There, fixed that for ya;)