Evasive Powder Keg - no damage

in Engineer

Posted by: Thuull.7069

Thuull.7069

I’ve done a lot of research here on the forums and elsewhere before posting this. I’ve seen one other person report this, and he was essentially told “no, you’re wrong, mine works”.

On evade while IN COMBAT, my Asura Engineer with Evasive Powder Keg does indeed drop a bomb, and the bomb does explode…but it does no damage. I’ve tested it as thoroughly as I know how…I spent two hours yesterday engaging mobs (single, multiple, big groups, etc), do nothing but evade multiple times for 30 seconds or so (with a little running around). I have managed to drop kegs that have exploded directly in the middle of a large pack of mobs that did absolutely nothing but make a nice little flash, some smoke and the explosion sound bite.

Not a single time in two hours did I get a powder keg to do damage.

Any ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: dede.7340

dede.7340

I’ll test it today… maybe it’s a smoke bomb now :P

in Engineer

Thuull.7069

I’d take that =)

in Engineer

Posted by: The Demonic Spirit.3157

The Demonic Spirit.3157

I’ve done a lot of research here on the forums and elsewhere before posting this. I’ve seen one other person report this, and he was essentially told “no, you’re wrong, mine works”.

On evade while IN COMBAT, my Asura Engineer with Evasive Powder Keg does indeed drop a bomb, and the bomb does explode…but it does no damage. I’ve tested it as thoroughly as I know how…I spent two hours yesterday engaging mobs (single, multiple, big groups, etc), do nothing but evade multiple times for 30 seconds or so (with a little running around). I have managed to drop kegs that have exploded directly in the middle of a large pack of mobs that did absolutely nothing but make a nice little flash, some smoke and the explosion sound bite.

Not a single time in two hours did I get a powder keg to do damage.

Any ideas?

Nope mate , it’s working perfectly , however its damage isn’t as strong as http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bomb .( I never let my endurance reach more than 50%)

All 80es > MM necro is my best ,cleric
guard ,nades eng ,Trap thief \ranger ,signet\shout warrior, zerk mes\ele & shiro rev.

in Engineer

Posted by: CheapGamer.3691

CheapGamer.3691

Works for me when I tried them.

Engineer Cheapgamer [TRON] Magumma

in Engineer

Thuull.7069

Eh…does it not put damage numbers up then, like all other damage sources?

Bomb goes off, no damage number. That’s my experience. It’s not that the damage isn’t as strong as something else…it’s that there’s no damage.

in Engineer

Posted by: Plague.6723

Plague.6723

Damage is so low anyways I don’t think it matters whether it works or not.

in Engineer

The Demonic Spirit.3157

Damage is so low anyways I don’t think it matters whether it works or not.

But when you trait your build as a bomber ( explosion line ) , it will make a difference.

guard ,nades eng ,Trap thief \ranger ,signet\shout warrior, zerk mes\ele & shiro rev.

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

The kit refinement bomb that drops when you equip your bomb kit is also finicky. I tested it for a while in the mists—it seems to count as a melee attack, and only works if you are facing your enemy. Could be the same thing here?

in Engineer

The Demonic Spirit.3157

The kit refinement bomb that drops when you equip your bomb kit is also finicky. I tested it for a while in the mists—it seems to count as a melee attack, and only works if you are facing your enemy. Could be the same thing here?

Nope , as I got speedy kits ( enemy won’t catch you ) trait + http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Forceful_Explosives + http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Explosive_Powder > combining them with Evasive Powder Keg will be awesome if you keep dodging and spamming 1st bomb skill.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

The bug you are experiencing comes from the trait Forceful Explosives, number III in the explosives traitline, which causes the two traited bombs to almost never deal damage.

What happens when you equip this trait is that it reduces the range of the Evasive Powder Keg to roughly ~30 radius. In other words, the bomb must explode directly INSIDE of your enemy for it to do any damage.

This trait also causes the bomb created by Kit Refinement and equipping the bomb kit to suffer from the same issue.

The issue is nonexistent with the trait Forceful Explosives unequipped. In that case, the Kit Refinement bomb and the Evasive Powder Keg bomb both have about a radius of ~150 units.

It’s a rather large problem because almost every bomb-based build should be taking this trait.

If you want to test radius, go to the Heart of the Mists in PvP and test out Evasive Powder Keg radius on the dummy golems. I can get my traited bombs to deal damage only if the bomb is placed directly inside of them, which is a near impossibility in both PvE and PvP.

(edited by Aegael.6938)

in Engineer

Posted by: NickDollahZ.5348

NickDollahZ.5348

Might want to add that to the bug list thread that is stickied.

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

The bug you are experiencing comes from the trait Forceful Explosives, number III in the explosives traitline, which causes the two traited bombs to almost never deal damage.

What happens when you equip this trait is that it reduces the range of the Evasive Powder Keg to roughly ~30 radius. In other words, the bomb must explode directly INSIDE of your enemy for it to do any damage.

This trait also causes the bomb created by Kit Refinement and equipping the bomb kit to suffer from the same issue.

The issue is nonexistent with the trait Forceful Explosives unequipped. In that case, the Kit Refinement bomb and the Evasive Powder Keg bomb both have about a radius of ~150 units.

It’s a rather large problem because almost every bomb-based build should be taking this trait.

If you want to test radius, go to the Heart of the Mists in PvP and test out Evasive Powder Keg radius on the dummy golems. I can get my traited bombs to deal damage only if the bomb is placed directly inside of them, which is a near impossibility in both PvE and PvP.

Thanks, that clears it up! Nice research.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Yeah I’d say that’s a huge issue. I put that in my traitline to get the boost to the size of the fire and smoke bombs radius.

I was wondering why they walked all over my dodge bombs and looked down at them like they were mosquitos when they went off kicked them to the side like a toy.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

The Demonic Spirit.3157

But Forceful explosives trait increases the area-of-effect by 50% and you are saying that it reduces its radius instead !!
So why do engineers get this trait ?

in Engineer

Thuull.7069

Wow – that totally explains it. Thank you very much for that research, I didn’t think once to test the radius.

Sucks though, because I really want that increased bomb radius in the build I do. I’m going to have to untrait it and see how it plays, maybe I can concentrate on being more accurate with my placement.

in Engineer

The Demonic Spirit.3157

Wow – that totally explains it. Thank you very much for that research, I didn’t think once to test the radius.

Sucks though, because I really want that increased bomb radius in the build I do. I’m going to have to untrait it and see how it plays, maybe I can concentrate on being more accurate with my placement.

Tell me what happens in your try, please !
Does Forceful explosives increase bombs/mines radius or decrease it ?

in Engineer

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

Forceful Explosives increases the radius of all bombs and mines EXCEPT for the two traited bombs, which it renders nearly useless.

I would say this is definitely a bug. Whether it gets fixed on a timely basis, that’s a completely different story.

in Engineer

The Demonic Spirit.3157

Forceful Explosives increases the radius of all bombs and mines EXCEPT for the two traited bombs, which it renders nearly useless.

What two traited bombs are you talking about ?

in Engineer

Thuull.7069

We’re talking about the “drop bomb on dodge” and the “make a spell go off when you swap kits” traits. Originally I thought that it was just the drop bomb on dodge and didn’t even realize the other one wasn’t working…but Aegael was completely correct.

I dropped the increase explosion radius trait, and the difference was night and day. Numbers ALL OVER THE PLACE it’s great.

I can confirm that now my bombs dropped on dodge AND my kits setting off explosions when I swap them are “working” again and doing lots and lots of visible damage (numbers popping up) again, when they haven’t been for a few weeks, ever since I took the explosion radius increase.

My zerg buster build is once again functioning at peak performance.

Thanks again Aegael.

Now…let’s see if we can get ANet to fix this. We need to be able to use our traits to fullest effect, and one trait from our power tree completely nullifying another trait in the same tree just doesn’t work.