Ever play the engineer in Warhammer Online?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

GW2 needs a little bit of that design concept in their engineer profession, in my opinion:

http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer_Abilities

Having played a Necro since release, deleted my original level 80 Necro and now recently leveled another Necro to 80; I am accustomed to ANet’s (seeming) lack of direction in profession design.

It’s obviously just my opinion, but I wanted the Engineer to be a choke holder, a blockader an anchor that holds a position in PvE and World -v- World.

The wanna be Elementalist Nuker builds with bombs and nades don’t entice me for aesthetic and enjoyment reasons (I find such builds clunky and dull).

Give me my grappling hooks, turrets, traps and rifle/pistol effectiveness and I would be a very happy camper.

At this time, the engineer seems rather underwhelming right out of the box.

I also find the various kits and "F"1 thru F4" key functions for the profession to be ridiculously cumbersome compared to other classes.

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

If you’re using bombs and nades as a ranged nuker, yes, they’ll feel one-dimensional. The kind of close-range area control you’re describing is more than possible on an engineer, and are actually kind of the specialty of bombs and grenades.

Kits can feel cumbersome at first, but the low cooldowns, instant swapping, and short cast times will make the profession feel like a war machine in time. Alternatively, you can choose a simpler build with one or no kits, and specialize in one or two spectacular effects.

Hit me up in-game if none of this makes sense, I’d be happy to show you what I mean.

in Engineer

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

I think the major difference between what you expected/wanted and what you got would be the broken turrets with their immobile nature they should be more powerful in locking down an area, but they are still much worse than other professions pets in both health and damage, you would think by sacrificing mobility you would gain some return but I guess not. On top of this in Beta 1 engineers had a skill called mine kit rather than throw mine, it allowed you to place 5 mines (they were all the same skill) but it allowed you to control an area to a greater effectiveness.

But I suppose if you really want to run an area control build you could try something like rifle with things like throw mine, turrets, tool kit (has a bit of area denial through box of nails and a pull [possibly into your mines])

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

in Engineer

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

I played an Engineer in Warhammer (renown rank 90 something I think). It was a lot of fun. It was a pathetically broken class that changed the game into instant hard-mode, but all the craftiness from aoe pulls, aoe knockdowns, aoe heals, aoe stuns, gadgets of all sorts was definitely a lot of fun.

I tried that to some extent when I first got into GW2 and rolled an engi. It doesn’t really work like that with the way turrets work here though.

You know how else played an Engi in Warhammer?

see for yourself:

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

(edited by hackks.3687)

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

I played an Engineer in Warhammer (renown rank 90 something I think). It was a lot of fun. It was a pathetically broken class that changed the game into instant hard-mode, but all the craftiness from aoe pulls, aoe knockdowns, aoe heals, aoe stuns, gadgets of all sorts was definitely a lot of fun.

I tried that to some extent when I first got into GW2 and rolled an engi. It doesn’t really work like that with the way turrets work here though.

You know how else played an Engi in Warhammer?

see for yourself:

hah, I remember that. such a broken game sometimes.
I too played an engie. and magus, sorc, sh, bo, choppa, slayer, bw, sm, sw, shaman, kotbs, chosen, we, wh, rp, zealot :p

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

I played also but since I liked Chaos more, I went with the Magnus (the mirror for the Engineering)..

There were a few “right” things Mythic did with those classes that would be nice if Anet stole..

when it comes to turrets, I would add the buff of increased damage the longer you were in “x” units of it. Warhammer it was 20% damage buff, which would be too much here. But say stay in 900 units of your turrets, you get 10% damage buff and/or random boon that would match the turrets effect.

You know warhammer shut down?

That one person.

in Engineer

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

Yeah the best part about Engi turrets in WaR compared to GW2 is that the turrets were essentially disposable. It cost AP to lay them down but everyone took spec’d for the AP reduction, and basically just laid out a turret whenever and wherever.

That’s probably the biggest problem with GW2 turrets. Not that they don’t follow the Engi but that they are too costly to leave behind due to CDs.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in Engineer

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

The warhammer Engi was more Engi than the Anet engi and the Engi of Wildstar seems also awesome

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]