Feb 26 - Engineer Patch Notes discussion

in Engineer

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

Sign: FlameThrower+HealOnCrit+MightStacking abuser

They always nerf us coz ppls like you.

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in Engineer

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

Good patch!

They tried to make most kits a bit more viable and fixed some really needed bugs like the flamethrower air blast miss. FT is pretty darn awesome now.

Kit refinement change is pretty weird if its really as confuse as mentioned in the other thread – need to test moar.

See, this is the irresponsible crap FT advocates do on these forums. Saying something is “awesome” without a reference is just irresponsible.

The FT is “awesome” compared to its pre patch version (duh!).
The FT is still crap compared to other engg options with the same role.

The devs basically spent time developing a crappy kit to a new level of crappy.

I’m going to assume you’re speaking strictly for PvE, FT kit has been and continues to be a very viable sPvP kit.

So because a mechanic is useable in PvP that means it shouldn’t get any love for PvE purposes?

By the way I don’t get why they didn’t split skills for PvE/PvP in the first place.

in Engineer

Posted by: ManCaptain.3154

ManCaptain.3154

Haha, oh wow… why all the long faces guys? Thanks for calling me a troll when I said that ANet has no clear design idea for the class and when I said that no real issues with the class will be fixed. Said so in february 2012 (“Mancaptain but it’s just a beta, they will fix it before release”). See, even Teldo sees how we have been nerfed down to a single damage build, rampager spec grenade builds.

Have you ever wondered about this:

Warrior:
Axe: 100% power damage 0% condition damage
GS: 100% power damage 0% condition damage
Sword: mostly condition damage
Hammer: power damage+disruption
Mace: defensive abilities + disruption
Longbow: mostly condition damage
etc…

Engineer:
Rifle: mostly power damage
Every single other kit/weapon: nearly 50/50 split between power and condition damage

How the hell am supposed to gear up for engineer (except maybe rampager)? No matter what gear you pick you won’t max the weapon’s damage.

And look at ANet pushing engineer ever further down this line. Flamethrower used to be mostly power weapon. Then they added burning on autoattack. They added burn extend on Airblast. This is on top of burning inflicting toolbelt skill and a wall that inflicts 0 damage and 1 sec burning (i.e. a lot more 100% condition damage 0% power damage functionality).

So if you wanna go zerker gear to get the damage up on autoattack, you lose most damage on your #4 and on #3 (extend burn) and on last #1 tick and on toolbelt skill.
Or you can go carrion/rabid gear and lose majority of damage from #1 and #2.
So whatever gear but rampager (which has no defensive stats) you take, you make parts of the kit completely ineffective.

Remember how toolkit had prybar that launched opponents? It used to be pure power kit. Now ANet put tons of condition damage on it through prybar. Bomb kit, another kit evenly split between power and condition damage. Elixir gun is another one.

It’s like they are intentionally making engineer impossible to gear for. Now when using carrion, rabid, zerker gear every kit I pick up has 2-3 powerful abilities and 3-2 crappy ones because I don’t have either power or CD that they need.

The most pressing issue: when are they gonna fix the huge pile of dung that is pistol autoattack? We get like 2 weapons and one of these has quite possibly the worst autoattack in the game.

P.S. Notice how longbow warrior got another blast finisher. So now, if you trait it, on longbow warrior out of 5 skills there are 3 100% projectile finishers and 2 blast finishers.

(edited by ManCaptain.3154)

in Engineer

SilverWF.4789

"Have you ever wondered about this:"
Ever wondered? Man, I’m facepalming about this every day!
Fully agree with ya - Anet didn’t have any ideas about class balansing.

Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in Engineer

Posted by: DDog.4350

DDog.4350

Good patch!

They tried to make most kits a bit more viable and fixed some really needed bugs like the flamethrower air blast miss. FT is pretty darn awesome now.

Kit refinement change is pretty weird if its really as confuse as mentioned in the other thread – need to test moar.

See, this is the irresponsible crap FT advocates do on these forums. Saying something is “awesome” without a reference is just irresponsible.

I’m going to assume you’re speaking strictly for PvE, FT kit has been and continues to be a very viable sPvP kit.

So because a mechanic is useable in PvP that means it shouldn’t get any love for PvE purposes?

By the way I don’t get why they didn’t split skills for PvE/PvP in the first place.

No offence, but can any of you 2 explain how FT is a good choise in sPvP compared to other kits. I like the FT concept, it just doesn’t seem to be strong enough if i look at the other options i have.

in Engineer

Posted by: Daigle.8497

Daigle.8497

@ Mancaptain:
Going hybrid on all kits is easier with Might stacking. If they’re all 50/50, why not Might? You get all the benefits on all kits.

@DDog:
FT’s a better power kit now, with the changes to napalm. I respecced the other day to see if FT/EG is usable after the Kit refinement nerfs, and… if you connect with both parts, you deal a respectably high amount of burst damage. I’ve been getting about 4k crits, which occur nearly every 4 seconds, and I’m not even a rampager or berserker. I’m in mostly carrion gear with divinity accessories. 3 is nice to prevent channeling, but I’ve never been able to Airblast projectiles.

I like 4 for its long-duration Fire field. Even better when you’ve got an immobilize or disable. The damage isn’t anything to write home about, I’m afraid.

5 is a great pseudo-stunbreaker, and damage mitigation tool.

in Engineer

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

I didn’t try my 100nade build since patch.

Is this confirmed?

100nade still works perfectly fine.. now with slightly better prybar :p

Why is this true? Do you just have to micromanage better to make sure the KR is off cooldown before popping the burst? Seems like magnet pull -> kr barrage is going to be difficult because it means you’ll have to be sitting in the tool kit for 10s which doesn’t have any ranged abilities – I’m new to engineer so I’m probably missing something.

the kr change only affects flamethrower and elixir gun currently. So 100nade function just as it did before

I thought the grenade KR was on a 10 second cooldown pre-patch? It’s 20 seconds now. That would make it affected by the change, but much, MUCH less so than Flamethrower and Elix gun.

in Engineer

Posted by: DDog.4350

DDog.4350

@ Mancaptain:
Going hybrid on all kits is easier with Might stacking. If they’re all 50/50, why not Might? You get all the benefits on all kits.

@DDog:
FT’s a better power kit now, with the changes to napalm. I respecced the other day to see if FT/EG is usable after the Kit refinement nerfs, and… if you connect with both parts, you deal a respectably high amount of burst damage. I’ve been getting about 4k crits, which occur nearly every 4 seconds, and I’m not even a rampager or berserker. I’m in mostly carrion gear with divinity accessories. 3 is nice to prevent channeling, but I’ve never been able to Airblast projectiles.

I like 4 for its long-duration Fire field. Even better when you’ve got an immobilize or disable. The damage isn’t anything to write home about, I’m afraid.

5 is a great pseudo-stunbreaker, and damage mitigation tool.

Thanks for explaining. I do realize now that the FT could fit in power builds. I just use the prybar with condi p/p for now

in Engineer

Posted by: SixSins.7610

SixSins.7610

Engineer:
Every single other kit/weapon: nearly 50/50 split between power and condition damage

How the hell am supposed to gear up for engineer (except maybe rampager)? No matter what gear you pick you won’t max the weapon’s damage.

I’m running pure Condition Damage spec with P/S and EG. I run Rocket Boots to make up for not using Pistol off-hand and to get a stun-breaker and I use Carrion stats and Runes of the Undead. I get some decent damage boost from my conversion trait and I use crowd control and evasiveness to let my Condition damage last long enough to matter. Tell me again how I have to spec Power or go 50/50 please.

To be honest, most weapons in this game that are meant to deal tons of damage are clear on what they want (Power or Con Damage) but the Engineer isn’t naturally a high-damage profession. You see, when they made this game they advertised that every profession could do everything within the old “Holy Trinity” but they never said every class could do everything as easily as others. The Guardian having more defensive CC than other professions gives it a niche, the Warrior and Thief are both high damage professions but do this in different ways, the Necromancer is a flavored caster that has high survivability, the Mesmer is a trickster profession that relies on mind games, and the Elementalist is the squishier blaster caster. Within this system, the Engineer is a flavored do-it-all profession that has obvious limitations to keep it from doing everything better than those who have that niche.

Engi can tank with CC and decent defensive stats if you spec it, an Engi can DPS with pure power OR con damage, an Engi can hit large groups of enemies or deal good single target damage, and the Engi can heal and support effectively. All of these things an Engi has ready access too, easier than some other professions trying them. A theif who wants to buff or support allies will find their options very limited. An Elementalist who wants to tank with CC has the same problem. Everyone can do everything, but some roles come easier to certain professions. The Engi just walks the line between them all and because of that it’s difficult to balance and even harder to make everyone happy. You seem mostly concerned about damage, but others here have expressed concern for other builds. If they buff the Engi’s damage to be in line with Thief or Warrior then there’s no reason to pick them except flavor. The Engi does same damage with more versatility in that case which is something they want to avoid.

Of course this is all my point of view and in no way reflects A-net, but I like the versatility of the Engineer and I don’t want to see that sacrificed for damage or anything else. I’d rather be just below par for damage of Warrior and Theif, just below par for survivability, just below par for AoE damage, just below par for everything but still be able to do it all decently. Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the Engineer so maybe it would clear some of A-net’s decisions up for you. Have a nice day!

in Engineer

Posted by: amiable.4823

amiable.4823

An Elementalist who wants to tank with CC has the same problem.

Uh, lol, no. The most popular elementalist build is a bunker with a metric ton of cc.

Aliquot Love – Engineer
Gable Thorn – Elementalist
Shining in Darkness – Warrior – Mag

in Engineer

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Engineers,

We feel your pain.

Best of luck. You know what they say about misery loving company…

-The Rangers

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

Engineers,

We feel your pain.

Best of luck. You know what they say about misery loving company…

-The Rangers

Im glad someone feels our pain, I’ve been drinking so many elixirs that things are just numb right now!

Woooookittens!

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

As much as I dislike the nerf to Kit refinemnt, let’s not forget this patch was mostly buffs to kits.
And a few fixes we waited for…

The sky isn’t falling.
It’s just that the devs changed their minds about engineers again it seems.
Versatility? Many kits? Instant kit swapping? One kit? Wait on kit refinement internal cooldown before swapping?
Make up your minds already

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

SilverWF.4789

As much as I dislike the nerf to Kit refinemnt, let’s not forget this patch was mostly buffs to kits.
And a few fixes we waited for...

The sky isn’t falling.
Versatility? Many kits? Instant kit swapping? One kit? Wait on kit refinement internal cooldown before swapping?

Yup, sure, they are ruined Flamethrower for the WvW/PvE, but it’s OK for the sPvPer - they didn’t see anything around.

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

The sky isn’t falling.

Yup, sure, they are ruined Flamethrower for the WvW/PvE, but it’s OK for the sPvPer – they didn’t see anything around.

How did they nerf FT for WvW?
Aside the Kit refinement mess, I don’t see anything about the FT that is now worse in WvW…
I can agree that it’s maybe not good enough yet, but surely it didn’t get worse than before, let alone ‘ruined’?

I hardly play spvp and I’m basically in WvW most of my playing time. What changes am I missing here?
(again, aside Kit refinement which I hate as a change).

in Engineer

Posted by: Crunkmagnet.3908

Crunkmagnet.3908

The sky isn’t falling.

Yup, sure, they are ruined Flamethrower for the WvW/PvE, but it’s OK for the sPvPer – they didn’t see anything around.

Aside the Kit refinement mess, I don’t see anything about the FT that is now worse in WvW…
I can agree that it’s maybe not good enough yet, but surely it didn’t get worse than before, let alone ‘ruined’?

I hardly play spvp and I’m basically in WvW most of my playing time. What changes am I missing here?

He is probably talking about the nerf to Omnomberry Pie/Ghost.

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

The sky isn’t falling.

oh yes, of course.
That is a BIG change indeed.

Personally I sort of figured it was too strong. But being a WvW player myself, I understand the harsh impact it has on Flamethrower engineers in WvW.

The food was too strong in my opinion, but that didn’t mean the FT engineer was too strong at all (even with the food…).

Silly I didn’t figure out it was about the food. My brain was locked on the engineer only changes.

in Engineer

Posted by: Punkins.2087

Punkins.2087

Good patch!

No offence, but can any of you 2 explain how FT is a good choise in sPvP compared to other kits. I like the FT concept, it just doesn’t seem to be strong enough if i look at the other options i have.

An aoe knockback on a cooldown shorter than my sausage is worth sacrificing a little damage any day of the week.

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Engineer:

I believe that for better or worse (Mostly worse) all our weapons were made to be hybrid. For example, why the heck are the traits for rifle under precision and condition? Because rifle is made to go as a hybrid, doing normal power damage while causing bleeding and what not from traits. As much as I hate it that way just go look at the traits.

in Engineer

SilverWF.4789

The sky isn’t falling.

oh yes, of course.
That is a BIG change indeed.

Personally I sort of figured it was too strong. But being a WvW player myself, I understand the harsh impact it has on Flamethrower engineers in WvW.

The food was too strong in my opinion, but that didn’t mean the FT engineer was too strong at all (even with the food…).

Silly I didn’t figure out it was about the food. My brain was locked on the engineer only changes.

Stop your irony and read this:

This is so shame:
You hitting 3 targets under retaliation. Retal will hits you for 300-350 per hit!
So, 10 hits for 2 seconds multiple by 3 targets equal 30 hits.
Multiple it by 300 equal 9000.
You will hit yourself for the NINE THOUSANDS damage while your targets will recieve only 3k (4k with crits!) each.
Earlier we have compensation in Omnomberry food, but now…

in Engineer

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

Omnomberry food did need to be nerfed, but you are completely right that Retaliation against many things such as the Flamethrower is a bit ridiculous in these extreme cases. Extreme cases that are actually quite frequent with multi-hits and AoE combined.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

(edited by Ayestes.1273)

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Retaliation needs a cap on the player recieving it…

in Engineer

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

The sky isn’t falling.

Yeah… it’s just an “adapt and overcome” thing.

I’m REALLY liking Elixir Gun <→ healing turret for the double water field + finisher and super elixir. The question that I’m kicking back and forth is weather or not the KR super elixir is still worthwhile with the extra micromanagement involved in timing an extra light field in such a way that doesn’t interfere with regenerating mist → acid bomb… my gut instinct says that it is.

So… I’ll deal with the extra hoops that need to be jumped through for Kit Refinement. The thing that still confuses me though is: why did they even bother with the change in the first place? Sure, the trait is useful, but traits like:
Inspired Virtue,
Altruistic Healing,
Executioner,
Shadow’s Embrace,
Deceptive Evasion,
Illusionary Persona,
Elemental Attunement,
Evasive Arcana,
ect.
…exist in this game. You’d have to be smokin’ crack crazy to think that Kit Refinement is more powerful or build defining than most of the above, or that it is more problematic. Maybe someone can point to a broken interaction that caused this change… otherwise, I just don’t get it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

Retaliation needs a cap on the player recieving it…

Yeah that’s one solution. I always thought that being dinged for Retaliation at a maximum of once per second would be enough. There are a lot of potential solutions though.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper