First Engin..how viable is...

in Engineer

Posted by: Winger.4765

Winger.4765

The Elixir Gun. Level 21 just picked and and I love it. Was wondering how well it is down the road, or if I should go ahead and start breaking up with her nice and slowly.

in Engineer

Posted by: Wuffles.5319

Wuffles.5319

I still use my elixir gun when I’m taking on more of a support role. There are also some builds that let you use elixir gun fulltime i believe. correct me if they are outdated

in Engineer

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I took my EG with me pretty much as soon as I got it, all the way to 80. Albeit, this was a time when Super Elixir was healing for more than it should have…

It’s only recently that I had to retire it’s permanent slot in my utility bar due to the KR nerf. I still sometimes use it, even not built for it at all, due to it’s incredible support and versatility.

By far my favorite kit in terms of aesthetics and how I feel my engineer would prefer to roll!

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

It might be a bit weak at 80 in anything but a support build, or coupled wih the flamethrower… but for leveling the Elixir Gun is actually pretty versatile.

It’s not ‘needed’ at all, but if you like it: use it, it will help you in a lot of situations.

skill #1 auto-attack hits a bit too slow, but never underestimate weakness on bosses and champions and veterans… they hit a lot less hard suddenly.

skill #2 will bounce back to you as well, so it’s worth using every fight.
Pve mobs don’t avoid it, most players avoid it pretty easy since it flies slow.

The #3 skill does next to nothing and is the weakest of the lot.
Use it on healing mobs (pistol #2 is better)
or use it when other players are in melee range of the mob and are getting conditions for example.
If alone and the mob has not listed that it self-heals… don’t bother, just keep using #1.

Skill #5 removes a stack of one type of conditions when you use it, aside the heal, so that’s a good one if you need it.

Skill #4 is the most underrated one. It actually does very good damage. The only isue is that enemies move out of it son.
But seeing how many pve mobs are casters who stay put: use it when you’re on them, they will suffer.
It’s a great excape in general.

Last tip: if you use only this kit, you can consider the Kit refinement trait: it will proc a small immobilize field every 20 seconds (on swapping to the kit so do swap out sometimes…)
Combine this with the #4 damage field and you’ll have a great escape against melee mobs!

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I recently changed up my skills for variety. Was using FT & EG and i dropped FT but kept EG for its extra healing and conditions. FT has nice control but I’m using the ToolKit more so I felt that I could drop the FT without missing much. The EG on the other hand is just too vaulable to me. Healing light field, blast finisher, toolbelt heal, cripple/swiftness, conditions. I use it when I need it, then put it away. Not the damage dealing kit, but support oriented.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

Elixir gun is awesome if you go berserker, my acid bomb does around 2-3k damage per tick, pretty nice AoE and even without x2 SE, #5 is still a pretty decent heal/condi removal

in Engineer

Posted by: Saki Asakura.6479

Saki Asakura.6479

I don’t do dungeons very often, but I always have EG on my bar when I do. Super elixir is useful, especially combined with healing turret regen. Fumigate, while you don’t want to use it offensively, is one of the best group condition cleanses in the entire game, and can be used to remove long duration burns, cripples, etc from your team. Acid Bomb is also fantastic, it hits really really hard in an AOE, provided your target stands still (though that tends not to be difficult for NPC enemies).

EG is also useful WvW for the range, group support, and an escape with Acid Bomb.

Level 80 Engineer: Kamonia

Borlis Pass

in Engineer

Posted by: BardaTheHobo.9752

BardaTheHobo.9752

I like it, super elixir is nice and acid bomb for damage/escape and of course fumigate for allies. Also the new Kit refinement mixed with sitting duck trait in fire arms can stack a high amount of Vulnerability.

Dextarr Thunderfuse – Charr Engineer
Rragar Ragehammer – Charr Warrior
Achilles Adrastos – Human Warrior

in Engineer

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

I run a condition P/P build along with the EG. I have traited for extra range so I open up with a few shots as I close the distance for pistols in WvW. Acid bomb is a nice escape skill and I combo it with elixir f to slow enemies close to me. Pistols are great for multiple targets if you have coated bullets, but if you are fighting a single strong target like a champion, then EG autoattack is very useful for weakness and the bleeds are longer than pistol. Super elixir is well super. Fumigate is very lacking in damage but I tend to use it on strong single targets to add 5 stacks of weakness for others in the group to do more damage or to spray it around myself when a thief stealths.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

The Elixir Gun works great with the Flamethrower for a hybrid spec in PvE.

I don’t really much use it in sPvP. I’ll slot it in WvW for Acid Bomb from time to time, though.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

Elixir Gun is pretty slow going for leveling in my opinion.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

in Engineer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Elixir Gun doesn’t have the AoE that most engineer attacks have, but it is still pretty useful. I find it is useful in support roles, where it needs little to no traits to function effectively.

#1: The auto attack has twice the bleed duration of the pistol auto attack, higher base damage, weakness tacked on at the end as well. It doesn’t hit in an AoE, but engineers have so many AoE tools that it isn’t too much of a problem.

#2: Elixir F does a surprising amount of damage. Those bounces hit a single enemy up to 3 times.

#3: Fumigate is useful mostly as a condition cleanse. It does a weak cone of poison and vulnerability, but there are many things that do it better.

#4: Acid Bomb saved me from path 3 subject alpha in CoE single handed before the “pile” trick was discovered. It does decent damage, and when you need to get the hell out of Dodge it is your go to utility.

#5: Super Elixir is a good heal. A little slow and delayed, but it last for a long time and also makes a persistent light field for retaliation and more condition cleansing.

Toolbelt skill: Gives AoE regen. It’s pretty good.

For leveling in PVE, you’ll probably want to use something else as the go-to weapon, due to most other weapons having high AoE and sometimes higher damage, period. However, the Elixir Gun is so useful that I recommend it to any engineer who has a spare utility slot, regardless of build. The cool thing is that because it is just one slot, you can use the other two for many different things. If you’re ever walking into a situation where you don’t know what is going to happen, keep the Elixir Gun on utility, because it can and will save lives.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

simple version:

for many easy leveling mobs, get something like bombs or grenades.

But when you meet a veteran, or one of the many ‘bosses’ champions or not, the ones that kill you with one blow… hit them with the elixir gun!

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

In sPvP is very viable until the next patch (inb4 grenade kit removed from the game).
In PvE is subar.
In Zerg vs Zerg it works fine, just faceroll like every other class.

Edit: Talking about the elixir gun it is useless, period.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in Engineer

Posted by: Galrukh.6532

Galrukh.6532

Elixir Gun is always on my hotbar, the super elixir is excellent with both decent healing and condition removal, the jumo back is awesome and the other abilities are not too bad either. Its rarely equipped for more than 5-6 seconds though, its terrible for sustained dps.

Help build the next big RvR game.
Camelot Unchained is on Kickstarter.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained?ref=live

in Engineer

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

If your like to support your team, the elixir gun is made for you, it has acces ton interesting conditions like weakness and skill 3 is great at removing conditions from your allies in front of you.