Flamethrower/Elixer Gun build help.

in Engineer

Posted by: Volstag.6371

Volstag.6371

I have been kicking around an idea of FT/EG build based around a 15/30/25/0/0 trait distribution. Switching between FT and EG as needed. I guess the gimmick is to be more tanky in cleric gear, providing decent heals while using the Inventions line Energized Armor and Performance Enhancement to boost power. The build would look something like this: (I had to post the link right into the browser)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqelspya37ShF17ISYGFmEC6BgVX313DsFA;T8AA1ymEMJZS1kiJKZMyIkxKjTGpMDLOZMzA

Is it worth pursuing? I am using Pistol/Shield so I can get two sigils, would I do better with a rifle? Would Cleric gear be the right gear for this? Thanks for any help, I am pretty new at this and just wondering if this would work.

some men aren’t looking for anything logical…
some men just want to watch the world burn.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Well for starters:
- Is this for PVP/WVW/PVE?
- Your build has no EG. Assuming Rocket Boots is where EG should be?
- Using P/S is fine, but don’t use two proc Sigils. Once one is triggered it locks out both until the cooldown is up.
- Energized Armor isn’t really worth the investment IMO. If you’re going deeper than 10pts into Inventions should be to pick up Reinforced Shield/Elite Supplies/Elixir Infused Bombs.

in Engineer

Volstag.6371

Primary PVE, but I was hoping for some WvW viability.

I actually meant switch out Flamethrower for Elixir Gun. I usually run with one or the other. I love my FT. But underwater it is useless. And since my build favors the FT, it makes underwater not so much fun.

I have EG and grenades on my bar now when underwater, but I was wanting to be able to fall back to the EG when my FT unusable. I have also found that EG works pretty well for my group when we are dungeon running. I replace Rocket boots with Elixir B or C with the EG depending on the situation.

I may be trying to fit the square peg in the round hole here, which is why I am asking.

Cool tip on the proc Sigils, didn’t know that.

See I really wanted to make picking up Toughness enhancing gear and Juggernaut carry over into Power with EA. If your right and EA really is not worth it, it may break down the whole build.

New question, should I build for Power or Condition Damage? With the Pistol Conditions, and burning from Rocket Boots and FT would I be better served enhancing the burn? That would also make the second pistol better looking to grab another burn applier.

Thank you guys for the help.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Was gonna type up a response, but instead give this a read.
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/72009-a-comprehensive-look-at-the-flamethrower-and-elixir-gun/

Most of the time if I plan on using both EG and FT I’ll build for both and have both of them on my bar. Regarding underwater just suck it up and swap FT for Grenades.

in Engineer

Volstag.6371

Regarding underwater just suck it up and swap FT for Grenades.

LMAO

I’ll give it a read. Thanks.

in Engineer

Posted by: DarkHeart.1760

DarkHeart.1760

Was gonna type up a response, but instead give this a read.
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/72009-a-comprehensive-look-at-the-flamethrower-and-elixir-gun/

Most of the time if I plan on using both EG and FT I’ll build for both and have both of them on my bar. Regarding underwater just suck it up and swap FT for Grenades.

Nice guide, gave me some great ideas as I level my eng. Thanks!

Also, have to agree that grenades are the best thing underwater… our harpoon gun is very lackluster, but the auto target grenade barrage owns.