Flamethrower underwater restriction

in Engineer

Posted by: WeedyZeGreedy.8635

WeedyZeGreedy.8635

Hey I just recently started to put some effort in my engineer and I really come to like this class for its diversity, however atm the only thing I can point my finger on is underwater combat being a total bummer.
The harpoon gun seems only to be dealing damage with the 2 skill and that’s kinda sad, however I think it’s cool that some of kits has been modified to be used underwater, and yes I’m wondering why this has been done to everything except the flamethrower.
First thing that comes into mind is it is not possible to spew flame underwater, which I think is a completely reasonable argument (never mind elemetalist fire attunement underwater).
It could be a piranhathrower for all I care as long I could use something with a resemblance to the flamethrower underwater. Are there any good arguments for restricting flamethrowers underwater I’m missing? Please leave your feedback

in Engineer

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

I’m pretty sure grenades underwater is the strongest aquatic damage possible. If I could use FT, I don’t see why Id ever use it over nades.

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

I’m pretty sure grenades underwater is the strongest aquatic damage possible. If I could use FT, I don’t see why Id ever use it over nades.

Only if they hit (which most of the time they don’t). Underwater the grenades go into seperate directions for no reason. Like 1 of your 3 grenades will actually hit and the others will go kitten off somewhere else. You have to be in melee range for the nades to even hit and even then you’re better off with the bomb kit in that case.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Only if they hit (which most of the time they don’t). Underwater the grenades go into seperate directions for no reason. Like 1 of your 3 grenades will actually hit and the others will go kitten off somewhere else. You have to be in melee range for the nades to even hit and even then you’re better off with the bomb kit in that case.

Even in melee range the chances of more than 1 grenade hitting the target is slim. I used a grenade barrage underwater in melee range and had only 1 grenade hit.

@ OP, For underwater, I’d highly recommend Bomb Kit as you main damage dealing kit underwater.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

^ Toolkit autoattack is actually quite decent too underwater (especially if you take too much damage). Just recently (around a month ago or so) I’ve noticed by coincidence that it actually has an evade built into the autoattack-chain underwater. This isn’t documented in the wiki, and I’ve also not seen it mentioned anywhere else before.

in Engineer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I never ever ever tried toolkit underwater, but bomb and grenade kit decimate underwater

in Engineer

Shaogin.2679

I never ever ever tried toolkit underwater, but bomb and grenade kit decimate underwater

As already mentioned, grenade kit in no way decimates underwater. I myself normally run a Toolkit/Bombkit combo underwater and it works great.

Gate of Madness

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Underwater the bomb auto attack is BY FAR the strongest, and also the strongest ingame. The windup time is very short under water, you feel like having quickness all the time. It’s insane, really. Grenades are only your ranged auto attack, since the harpoon gun aa almost heals your enemy … u.u But still, skill 3 (and 4 for single target) of the harpoon gun are both extremly strong. Especially 3 in melee, gosh, crits for like 15k sometimes.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Shaogin.2679

Underwater the bomb auto attack is BY FAR the strongest, and also the strongest ingame. The windup time is very short under water, you feel like having quickness all the time. It’s insane, really. Grenades are only your ranged auto attack, since the harpoon gun aa almost heals your enemy … u.u But still, skill 3 (and 4 for single target) of the harpoon gun are both extremly strong. Especially 3 in melee, gosh, crits for like 15k sometimes.

You’re thinking of Harpoon Gun 2, not 3. But yeah, it is awesome.

Gate of Madness

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

You’re thinking of Harpoon Gun 2, not 3. But yeah, it is awesome.

Oh my Terrible mistake, ty ^^

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Just a fun fact, there is a charr in Fireheart Rise who developed underwater flamethrowers, using the tar in the lake as its fuel. Its a renown heart, and quite fun for the short time you need it.