[GUIDE] The Meta-rific Dungeoneer

in Engineer

Posted by: Poliswag.8240

Poliswag.8240

Even with all of my arah solos, I haven’t yet tried incorporating Fortified Turrets into the Lupi fight. I think the damage loss from 30 Inventions will make this a moot idea in any group fighting lupi with less than 5, but has anybody tried reflecting his phase 2/3 projectiles back at him? Either the channel in phase 3, or the one that is normally mesmer reflected in phase two. It may be tricky if the turret isn’t perfectly placed or if it somehow gets cleaved by the aoe of those projectiles.

[IX][oPP] Poliswag – Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

A zerker engie running 30/30/0/0/10 with Static Discharge deals about 5% more DPS than one running 30/30/0/10/0. That’s why the difference between the two builds is mostly a matter of whether you feel like you need that vigor on crit or if you feel confident enough to go all out DPS. You really shouldn’t be using Energy sigils in the usual course since you’re giving up at minimum 5% extra DPS or 7% crit chance, which would basically be the same as going 30/30/0/10/0 but generally isn’t as efficient since you need to weapon swap to get that Energy proc, while Vigor is passive. Taking Force instead of Energy also gives you the option of going full out DPS with 30/30/0/0/10 SD with Force sigil instead of being stuck at the 5% less damage compromise point.

Either way, both options work fine, it’s just a matter of whether you feel like you need that tiny bit of extra damage or not.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Either way, both options work fine, it’s just a matter of whether you feel like you need that tiny bit of extra damage or not.

I have never been in a situation where 5% extra damage from me was ever “needed.”

I have been in plenty of situations where an extra dodge roll was needed, however.

Keep in mind that while “Dungeoneer” is in the title, this build was designed to be used in FOTM all the way to 50 as well. And there are many situations where if you’re not using Infused Precision/Invigorating Speed, you need to be getting some endurance regeneration from somewhere else.

And not only does taking an Energy sigil free up two trait slots that both increase your damage output (Rifle Mod, Static Discharge) but you also get energy gain without having to shoot at things.

If you think such a thing is unnecessary, run Sigil of the Night instead. But I’m sure most players would agree with me that for high-level fractals having Force + Energy > Force + Night, especially when you can use that extra dodge roll for additional DPS with Evasive Powder Keg if you don’t actually need it.

Edit: I’ll just add it to the list as a suggestion, but I think engineers should focus on getting an ascended rifle with Force + Energy first.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in Engineer

Posted by: torgalspu.9074

torgalspu.9074

Such a nooby question new engi so for dungeons I need to focus on berserker gear caus atm got the ascalonian gear with power precision and condi is that the wrong type I’m almost hitting 80 too also rifle or pistol?

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

last time I tried stacking stealth with the smoke field it didn’t work, only one stack happened the two other blasts didn’t stack.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Such a nooby question new engi so for dungeons I need to focus on berserker gear caus atm got the ascalonian gear with power precision and condi is that the wrong type I’m almost hitting 80 too also rifle or pistol?

All of this is pretty much outlined in the original posts. The rifle is better because it offers more damage. The only reason I suggest building a pistol in your gear is in large part because the shield is incredibly useful at times, but needs a main-hand weapon to be equipped. Given there is no other main-hand weapon to use at the moment but the pistol with the shield, we’re kinda stuck with it at the moment.

The gear stats you’re talking about—power, precision, and condition damage—compose Rampager, which is not as strong as Berserker gear at the moment. A lot of this is based around coefficients, and that skills for the most part just scale better around power than condition damage. To give you an idea, look at a skill like Blunderbuss from the rifle.

From 0-200 range, Blunderbuss stacks (according to my tooltip in-game) four stacks of bleeds for a total of 423 damage. It also damages foes directly for 631 damage. These numbers may seem somewhat comparable to each other, but you have to understand how these numbers are calculated.

Bleeding is a condition and rightfully scales off condition damage. But per stack, it only scales off 5% of your condition damage stat. So for every 100 condition damage added into your gear, you’re only adding 5 damage to each stack you apply!

Compare this to Blunderbuss’s direct damage, which scales by 160% your power stat from 200 range or less (100% from 400-200 range). Point for point, you’re just going to get more out of that power you compile, and see a bigger return on your gear investments.

last time I tried stacking stealth with the smoke field it didn’t work, only one stack happened the two other blasts didn’t stack.

Can you be a little more descriptive? What skills were you using? Where was this?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Most likely you hit something and got Revealed.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Most likely you hit something and got Revealed.

There’s a couple times where this can happen:

1. At the end of the tunnel in the Molten Fractal, there are hit boxes for the falling rocks. I suggest being careful with your placement, as Big Ol’ Bomb has a pretty large radius. If there’s no thief in the party and it’s up to me to stealth, I usually have everyone stack up behind the rocks nearby. It’s also OK if you get revealed, as the mobs are very easy to get away from—and someone needs to pull and kill them anyway to open the geysers.

2. During the bomb run in the Dredge Fractal, just because the dead bodies of the dredge disappeared, they still can be “hit.” To avoid this problem when doing the portal trick, I suggest pulling mobs standing on the grated platform rather than fighting them on or around it. Be careful not to draw aggro of the patrols that spawn after you do your initial bomb run.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Valent.6430

Valent.6430

Hi Phineas,

why do you suddenly prefer the rune of strength over the scholar one? Is it because with the bomb kit, we are not often over 90% hp?

Sorry for my english, i’m french.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Hi Phineas,

why do you suddenly prefer the rune of strength over the scholar one? Is it because with the bomb kit, we are not often over 90% hp?

Not phineas, but it’s because the increased might duration can actually increase your party’s dps at a small hit to your personal dps. As an engineer, you should be providing might to your party before/during most fights, using blast finishers and fire fields. You can stack 9-12 might easily yourself, and even 18+ stacks if you cheat a little bit and juggle your utilities around while out of combat.

Basically, if your team isn’t at 25 might stacks 80+% of the time, you should use strength. They are pretty expensive though.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Hi Phineas,

It’s a personal DPS loss going with Strength if you can keep the Scholar buff up, but it’s a group DPS gain given the longer might durations.

Another way to look at it is that instead of re-stacking might every 20 seconds, you only have to do it every 28 seconds, keeping you in the grenade kit longer to maintain vulnerability.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Solus.3926

Solus.3926

thank you PP … greatly appreciated ‘guide’.

I am the menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

in Engineer

Posted by: Artasqweroldy.7458

Artasqweroldy.7458

/ vote for sticky

Humans aren´t real

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Seeing some rumblings about Strength runes getting nerfed, but I’m sticking with my guns and saying they’re better than Scholar.

The 2% damage gain is almost a non-issue, and the might-when-hit is not why I advertised the rune set originally. Its ability to provide 30-second might stacks with +45% duration is still alive and well, so I think engineers should still aim for it over Scholar.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

bump for glory and for pve engi’s the world around

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in Engineer

Posted by: Ashlee.8409