Grenade range

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: OzDragon.5482

OzDragon.5482

I have a question, not sure if its been brought up before searched the forum didnt get any results for it so I thought I would ask.

Why is the range on grenades more than the range on the pistol?

Even with the increased range for pistol trait the pistol has a 1050 range and the grenades have a 1200 range. While I understand this is a game it makes no sense that you can throw a grenade further than you can shoot a bullet.

Just wondering.

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: Monadproxy.3489

Monadproxy.3489

aerodynamics. the grenades probably have a “golf ball” effect while the bullets in a pistol/rifle are smooth surfaces so they travel less distance. This is the only explanation i can come up with. (other than engis take steroids and have an amazing throwing arm.)

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Engineers have a strong enough throwing arm to out-range a Mortar.

There is no explanation beyond “Yeah, you’re just supposed to use Kits for combat and your Weapons for…uh…utility.”

Grenade range

in Engineer

OzDragon.5482

Just to me it makes no sense that a grenade has the same range as the long bow or the rifle. In my opinion the range should be no more than the pistol which is 900. Now I understand it would be a nerf but its not that big of a nerf.

Also this is just my mind not being able to wrap around the fact that I can throw a 3 pound metal ball or two at the same time further than I can shoot a pistol.(and yes I understand it’s a game)

(edited by OzDragon.5482)

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: Maiden England.3491

Maiden England.3491

yeah this has been discussed and joked at since I can remember. higher range on the grenades doesnt really matter except in pve anyways.. travel time is so slow that your target is extremely likely to have moved by the time the grenades get there.

Street Regulator

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: elithrar.7143

elithrar.7143

Just to me it makes no sense that a grenade has the same range as the long bow or the rifle. In my opinion the range should be no more than the pistol which is 900. Now I understand it would be a nerf but its not that big of a nerf.

Also this is just my mind not being able to wrap around the fact that I can throw a 3 pound metal ball or two at the same time further than I can shoot a pistol.(and yes I understand it’s a game)

It’d be a big WvW nerf (when fighting attackers on walls or below walls).

It’s “dumb”, but let’s not just suggest nerfs for the sake of it.

[TKG] Mollify

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Contrary to popular belief, engineers dont actually have strong arms. Grenades only travel a long range cause each one is equipped with a mini thruster.

Dont question it just accept.

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

Iv just filed it in “Anet doesnt have a clue wtf they are doing”. Its a pretty big file.

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Here are a few question.

Do you really want them to reduce the range on grenades?

Do you want them to increase the range on all ranged projectile sets including rifles and longbow for warriors, shortbow and pistol for thief, and longbow and shortbow for ranger?

Do you really want to challenge the reality of range in a game and not include infinite ammo as a complaint?

Does it even matter in a game?

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

Do you really want them to increase the amount of HP regen gives?

Do you really want them to take away cleave on melee attacks?

Do you want them to change all enemys into vets ,and vets to champs, and champs to legendarys?

Do you really want them to give magic users a mana bar that they have to drink mana potions to replenish?

See, I can ask random question that have nothing to do with the topic too.

Grenade range

in Engineer

OzDragon.5482

Here are a few question.

Do you really want them to reduce the range on grenades?

Do you want them to increase the range on all ranged projectile sets including rifles and longbow for warriors, shortbow and pistol for thief, and longbow and shortbow for ranger?

Do you really want to challenge the reality of range in a game and not include infinite ammo as a complaint?

Does it even matter in a game?

As I said in a previous post this is more about my mind not wrapping around the fact that I can throw two grenades at once further than I can shoot a bullet. And yes I DO understand this is a game. It still seams a bit off. This is just my opinion.

I guess I should have not brought the word nerf into the topic. Please ignore that part.

(edited by OzDragon.5482)

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

Average effective pistol range is 30 meters (50 yards)
Grenade throw range – 30-35 meters by the average male soldier.
Mortar WW2 model – 2400 meters.
First shotgun like rifle – 30 – 60 meters effective (Brown Bess, next generation blunderbuss)

So by far the most silly is the mortar.

Grenade range

in Engineer

OzDragon.5482

First shotgun like rifle – 30 – 60 meters effective (Brown Bess, next generation blunderbuss)

I wasn’t talking about effective range. But in game perspective we are all hero’s / expert marksmen so average does not really come into play. My point is only this you can not throw a grenade further than a bullet can travel.

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

look at my bionical arm, that’s why…
So is half my brain, so no: it doesn’t have to make sense.

Attachments:

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

I wasn’t talking about effective range. But in game perspective we are all hero’s / expert marksmen so average does not really come into play. My point is only this you can not throw a grenade further than a bullet can travel.

Actually this is wrong i am afraid. Due to the fact what i said before was modern pistols range. A flintlock pistol was used for dueling for example and at 20 yards/10 paces they had very little chance of hitting each other.

Although early grenades were a lot heavier too…fact is there’s not much in it. Pistols are only good very short range.

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: VIVorcha.7853

VIVorcha.7853

Actually this is wrong i am afraid. Due to the fact what i said before was modern pistols range. A flintlock pistol was used for dueling for example and at 20 yards/10 paces they had very little chance of hitting each other.

Although early grenades were a lot heavier too…fact is there’s not much in it. Pistols are only good very short range.

We have semi-automatic blunderbusses and flintlock pistols.

I don’t think historical accuracy is a factor here.

In my opinion, Grenades should have a range of 1000 by default, 1200 when traited. Rifle auto attack should have a range of 1200 by default and 1500 when traited.

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

We have semi-automatic blunderbusses and flintlock pistols.

I don’t think historical accuracy is a factor here.

In my opinion, Grenades should have a range of 1000 by default, 1200 when traited. Rifle auto attack should have a range of 1200 by default and 1500 when traited.

well an opinion is an opinion that doesnt necesarily validate your statement

grenades have out ranged pistols in the old and modern days as for why because pistols are designed to be portable low range weapons enabling ultimate mobility and fast reaction time , even if you where the best marksmen if a pistol was designed to average standards you cant make the pistol shoot 500 meters out of sheer will as it is a mechanical object not biological.

and you said it yourself Historical accuracy isnt a factor so being able to out range a mortar and rifles with grenades shouldnt be anoying you as it does (except maybe when you consider the mortar)

now game mechanics wise the reason grenades have the largest range is because it is a very demanding kit you need skill good reflex and each grenade has to be manually aimed and tossed unlike pistol and rifle wich you just click skill and they hit the target unless they dodge or block or blind you.

Grenade range

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Leaving aside all historical, logical, practical and whatever other real life reasons, simply focusing on gameplay factors:

I would give rifle and pistol the same range (1000 – 1200 seems about right)
I also would let both or neither pierce untraited! Piercing shots should include rifle, or the pistol should pierce by default.

The one weapon I would give 1500 range traited is… tadaaa: the Elixir Gun!
Give us a very good reason to use it on boss fights etc, as well as a directly aimed, single target max range option.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Grenade range

in Engineer

TheGuy.3568

Yes and I would like it’s healing power scaling to be bumped also to 25%.

I think cleave is fine where it is in terms of melee weapon. I would like overcharge shot ot cleave though akin to rifle butt.

Do you want them to change all enemys into vets ,and vets to champs, and champs to legendarys?

Eventually with gear scaling they will have to bump the stats on mobs. That being said what your question entails would be too much but if we keep on a gear treadmill eventually something along this line will happen.

Do you really want them to give magic users a mana bar that they have to drink mana potions to replenish?

That wouldn’t work in this game due to the pace of game play and there being no “ammunition” what so ever.

You most definitely can but, my questions were not random. Perhaps you should read more carefully next time.

Kor The Cold Heart War

Grenade range

in Engineer

TheGuy.3568

Yes and I would like it’s healing power scaling to be bumped also to 25%.

I think cleave is fine where it is in terms of melee weapon. I would like overcharge shot ot cleave though akin to rifle butt.

Eventually with gear scaling they will have to bump the stats on mobs. That being said what your question entails would be too much but if we keep on a gear treadmill eventually something along this line will happen.

That wouldn’t work in this game due to the pace of game play and there being no “ammunition” what so ever.

You most definitely can but, my questions were not random. Perhaps you should read more carefully next time.

Kor The Cold Heart War