Grenade targeting.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vodyara.4608

Vodyara.4608

I feel that right now the manual targeting of grenades isn’t a very fun thing to have. It’s not particularly hard to use, but spamming 111111111111111111 for attacks is absolutely murder on your fingers, especially when fighting a fat sponge boss. The quick AoE targeting feature wasn’t nearly enough to make grenades fun.

If the auto-aim for grenades works underwater, then it should work above ground as well.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Stimulant.3970

Stimulant.3970

autoaiming on grenades would be terrible for anything beside pve where mods stand still. the point of grenade targeting is to lead the target

-Blœ

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

It’s a lot of fun for me. I really love grenade gameplay.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

It is broken under water. In a lot of instances, the grenades are just too slow to catch the target. add the arch that happen above water and auto attack would destroy the grenade kit.

edit: a good idea that I have read though is for the targeting reticle to follow the mouse and pressing the mouse button would launch the attack.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Vodyara.4608

I don’t mean it as an absolute replacement for the current system, I meant to have it as an option.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

I wonder if it’d be at all viable for Grenade Kit #1 to be set up like siege weapons, where it gives a slow-charging bar for as long as you hold down the attack button. Just have it throw grenades the entire time the button is held down, so that you don’t have to repeatedly click, but it still has the “skillshot” functionality.

The class is always greener on the other side.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

I don’t mean it as an absolute replacement for the current system, I meant to have it as an option.

That would be asking a-net to spend resources creating something that is already broken. The arch and distance of Grenade kit would make it more broken than guardian scepter.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Vodyara.4608

Then why does it work just fine underwater?

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

It doesn’t. I works fine under water when the mob is swimming right at you. You will find that you will have to chase down a lot of mobs that swim perpendicular to you. And there is no arch under water.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

We need a trait like rangers that allows our grenades to travel 100% faster. Have it in same tier with incendiary powder.

Want the damage of burning or the accuracy of the nades? Tough choice!

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

You do get used to the anticipatory aiming of grenades (where they will be versus where they are). You also learn quickly that grenades are less ideal for single targets than large groups because of movement. Bombs work much better in small encounters! You can also use grenades to drop at your feet too. Fortunately, grenades don’t really tell which grenade you are chucking!

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

ya. being able to anticipate is necessary for the GK.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: LLaG.9218

LLaG.9218

nah, we just need FT buffed to deal more power dmg than GK. srsly why kit with 1,5k range deals more dmg than flamethrower with 450 range? GK isnt even called a “weapon kit” like flamethrower.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

It doesn’t. They were changed to the point that only 1 grenade will actually travel to the target and the other 2 (or 1 if no trait) will kitten off into random directions for no reason. Literally with grenade barrage you will hit like 2 out of the 7 nades. It’s ridiculous.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

The only true solution to this at present is to utilize hardware features. By that, I mean rebind your keys such that spamming grenades is more convenient.

Better yet, leave the keyboard bindings the same, but bind a button on your mouse to “1” as well. This makes is so that you can aim with your mouse and spam with your thumb (or another finger) while keeping your other hand free to move around and do other stuff.

Don’t have multiple buttons on your mouse? Go and buy one. You could easily find a Logitech or Razer mouse with additional buttons that can make using the grenade kit much easier.

I know saying “go buy a new mouse” is a really crappy suggestion, but it is the one true solution to have quality of life improvements with the grenade kit.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

the best part about grenades is that you can manually aim them. the level of aoe control/area denial that a player can achieve with manual aiming is head and shoulders above what auto-aimed grenades could ever do.

If you’re just tired of hitting the button so many times, try Fast Cast targeting with Range Indicator. Half the clicks, still all the control.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

a good idea that I have read though is for the targeting reticle to follow the mouse and pressing the mouse button would launch the attack.

This is exactly how it works right now …

• put the cursor into the middle of the screen
  • now a bit to the top
  • press right click
  • hold it
  • turn around with the mouse
  • press grenade 1-5 whatever you want
  • throws grenades where the cursor is
  • cursor won’t move now
  • able to move and throw
  • every decent engi does that
  • everyone o.o’’
Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Pannonica.5378

Pannonica.5378

You will run into other issues with the above mentioned method of mouse focus though, since like so many things in this game, it is buggy and you will sometimes randomly select stuff that happens to be in your mouse focus which will screw your targeting in a busy fight. This happens with left and right click, during hold or upon click.

Pannonica
Red Guard

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

What? I’ve been using this system for a very long time now and I’ve never had the issue you speak of. Do you have autotarget on? Well even since I had it on I don’t know what problem you have. Also:

• why would you leftclick when using grenades like this??
  • grenades are independend to targeting so …?

I don’t get your prob o.o

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Fast-casting with ground targeting has made the grenade kit a lot more reasonable, making it where you just push 1 once per volley. I suggest using that feature. I hated it with the original system, but I love using the GK now. I don’t really find it much a problem anymore.

I also think that for PvP/WvW that the grenade kit remain ground-targeted for all five skills.

srsly why kit with 1,5k range deals more dmg than flamethrower with 450 range?

It’s actually 425 range, but a lot of it is based on the fact that Deadly Mixture is in Alchemy, forcing FT/EG engineers down a survivability tree engineers don’t really need in PvE. While BK/GK/EG engineers can run 6 points into both Explosives and Firearms, buffing the crap out of their damage, FT/EG engineers must put at least 4 points into Alchemy, indirectly nerfing the kit’s potential damage.

The other problem is that its second-best damage trait, Juggernaut, is rendered useless in an organized group that stacks might. In PUGs the FT/EG is pretty good, but once your guild gets organized and does some serious speed clears with 25 might and permanent fury, the FT/EG just really begins to lag behind.

If they moved Deadly Mixture into Firearms and actually made Juggernaut a passive damage buff that can stack on top of 25 might, the FT would actually be competitive to the grenade kit given Flame Blast’s very high power coefficient. But alas, I’ve asked for these things for almost two years now. I just don’t see it happening.

I also just think it’s not in the cards given its high CC tank potential, similar to the tool kit. If you want a melee DPS kit, run bombs.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

a good idea that I have read though is for the targeting reticle to follow the mouse and pressing the mouse button would launch the attack.

• now a bit to the top
  • press right click
  • hold it
  • cursor won’t move now
  • able to move and throw
  • everyone o.o’’

It’s not at all how it works right now. What you deascribed locks the cursor in one position. And still requires the same amount of effort to launch the basic attack as if it is a special attack.

What I described by holding the mouse button allows the cursor to move independent of your positioning and movement while still allowing you to anticipate an opponent with the basic #1 attack without having to continuously press ‘1111111’. Holding it is closer to auto attack than continually pressing the same button for a basic attack.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Do you turn around and move sideways with arrow keys or what? o.O

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

• now a bit to the top
  • press right click
  • hold it
  • cursor won’t move now
  • able to move and throw
  • everyone o.o’’

this work only for ranged atk
just leave granade this way and trainur fingers to hit the same place every time
in battle swap weapon when u want take a breack on granade

Engy:Turrets Nade/HgH Kit Bunker Zerker
Necro:MMMesmer:pve omniRanger:SpiritsThief:P/P

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Do you turn around and move sideways with arrow keys or what? o.O

You turn around and move the exact same way every one else does. Mouse and WASD. The only difference is that holding any mouse button that isn’t the right one would keep casting #1 attack while you use the mouse normally. So holding R mouse still turns you. What ever cast button is assigned doesn’t interfere with that.

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

That’s exactly what I’m saying. I move with WASD, however I turn around with the R mouse. So I see absolutely NO problem at all to lock my mouse in a good position on the screen to easily throw grenades there. Why wouldn’t I face my target anyway? :/

Am I missing something, or maybe I justs misunderstood something :s

Grenade targeting.

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

It makes a difference when which direction you are facing effects the damage you take. not that the current way is horrible, but the idea would provide a different play style than the current one. And that different play style would make a diifrence, even if some don’t prefer it. and best of all, you wouldn’t have to constantly hit press a button for a basic attack.