Grenades - aiming a basic guide

in Engineer

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

Hello fellow engineers.

I have seen a few posts about people wanting auto hit for grenade #1 skill. Now i am not so fond of this idea as it will ruin the way grenades work onland.

So here is some basic tips to using grenades in PvE fights.

1. mouse turn – for those who dont know hold down right mouse button and turn the camera while moving with W to turn much faster then with A / D.
When using mouse turn A/ D which is default turn left and right becomes strafe left and right and as a result frees up the strafe left and right keys.

2. I personally dont use fast cast ground target, this gives me the target icon and the “splash” zone of my explosions which helps me hit targets, if u select the distance u want then hold down right mouse button u can increase or decrease the distance by changeing camera angle.
For example when something gets close to you in a fight aim the camera right above your toon and u can ground target anything at your feet with ease and have a full field of view of the land around u to avoid red circles.

3. Get a nice gameing mouse so u can bind all utilitys healing and elite skills to the mouse so you can use them all while moving and aiming ground target skills and not stop to “click”. I use a razer naga molten as it has 12 thumb keys which makes MMO enjoyable with key combos for rotations, how ever this is personal choice and any nice gameing mouse within your budget / personal choice will do, this is also good for all other games / class u play aswell.

4. Practice your aim, learn to keap your mouse target over your target when moving about, this will meen constant adjustment to camera angles etc but will allow you to hit targets while you move, if u have any experiance in shooter games same thing applies here, keep your target in your sights.

5. Grenades are an arcing target path. This meens you can in some fights stand behind a medium sized rock / wall and at the right distance away from the rock / wall you can throw grenades over it while being out of line of sight. This can also be applied in WvW when on a wall / ledge as just the right distance and angle you can hit them but they cant hit you with normal small splash aoe.
(This also applies to all bows for all other classes, bullets how ever travel in a straight line and cant be arced).

6. Weapons you use have an impact, for example using P/P you can use glue shot to aoe root and then cripple groups in dungeons / pvp allowing you to use grenade skils freely with 100% hit chance. This allows for bursting with grenade barrage to.

7. Learn to rpedict NPC / player movement by aiming grenades infront of the target while takeing into account the grenade travel time and splash zone, this will allow you to hit moving targets with ease once u practice this. using freeze grenade and imobilize helps alot when learning to hit moving targets.

I cant think of much else at this time so here is a vid showing most of what i talked about. So please feel free to add any tips / tricks you have learnt
Also please dont flame/rage/abuse this thread, it is here to help others get used to grenades playstyle, once you learn how to aim grenades while moving like any other weapon set you will see how powerfull this ground target set is.

Watch it at 720P youtube dont like 980P for some reason

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

(edited by krixis.9538)

in Engineer

Posted by: lordbachus.6091

lordbachus.6091

Fast cast ground targetting is much needed, works perfectly with moving targets in combination with my razor naga mouse, that is a must when playing an engineer to its fullest.

I allways use mouse targetting, except when aiming my grenades at longer range, in those moments i be using wasd for movement and my mouse for groundtargetting the grenades, it requires some training and quick switching, but it just works perfectly for me. Espescially in high speed pvp where fast and precise targetting combined with predicting the path of your ennemies is king.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jigain.8231

Jigain.8231

I have seen a few posts about people wanting auto hit for grenade #1 skill. Now i am not so fond of this idea as it will ruin the way grenades work onland.

I’m not sure if you’ve read the posts you’re referring to, but the vast majority of them are fine with how grenades work target-wise, they just don’t want to contract RSI (repetitive strain injury) from using them. Allowing auto-attack (which I assume you’re referring to with “auto hit”) is merely one of the ways of preventing the grenade kit and medical injury to walk hand-in-hand. Another would be for someone at ANet to officially permit macros that, while getButtondown = 1, repeatedly call one (and one only) function, that being grenade kit #1. In addition to these two, there are sharp minds in both the community and in the ArenaNet HQ, and between the two it should not be impossible to stop this weapon kit from causing injuries to the players.

Long story short, it’s not about wanting to hit things easier, it’s about avoiding RSI.

This post may contain a high concentration of sarcasm and irony.
If you are allergic to these ingredients, do not consume.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tsarbomba.9180

Tsarbomba.9180

You missed step 8, have your doctor prescribe something for the PAIN O_O (in your hand)

in Engineer

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Just a tip I learned from my ele: you can just hit 1 a second time to cast where your cursor is rather than left-clicking if that is easier for you. This works for any skill that is ground targeted. If you hit the same-skill button a second time, it thinks you are accepting the placement.