Gyros are functionally pointless in PvE

in Engineer

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

They don’t track fast enough, they don’t track well enough, they don’t do enough.

They are all pretty much functionally useless.

They should all be permanent active other than stealth, shredder and blast to have any functionality at all, and they should follow like necro minions in my opinion. Plus blast, shredder both need a huge damage buff. Plus… do these things even receive stacking rune effects?

When a shredder on a level 80 Scrapper cannot down a group of 3 level 8 moas without intervention… yeah, it needs a HUGE buff.

in Engineer

Posted by: Plus.7209

Plus.7209

While that’s true for the most part, I think that Bulwark Gyro deserves a little more recognition. A massive AoE reflect on a low cooldown toolbelt seems like it could be pretty useful in some PvE situations. Sneak Gyro is also a pretty useful elite, considering the low cooldown and long duration.

As for shredder, the point of it is to use it inside of a field for the whirl finisher. I do agree that it’s underwhelming, but it’s not supposed to deal a lot of damage— it’s supposed to stack up conditions, boons, or other things with the whirl finisher.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Hey, Sneak Gyro is legit. I love that thing for skipping mobs and stealth rezzes. Function gyro has saved the day a good few times too.

Outside of that, however, yea, the rest are as useless in PvE as they are in PvP.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

there are 2 things i find myself missing when i dont use scrapper: sneak and hammer. base engi just does everything else better.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Nate.8146

Nate.8146

I’ve been surviving quite well using medic and bulwark gyros. Their instant cast is vital in those quick to need scenarios and their toolbelt skills are awesome. Sneak gyro has also proven very useful. I often use it to help rez the down while keeping mob aggro off, or using it to get around objectives that don’t involve killing endless trash mobs. And the function gyro… I love that thing. Now that I’m getting use to selecting downed players in a zerg mess, it’s awesome being able to help someone back up while still focusing on the attack, or using it as a 2nd player to help rez quicker.

Blast, Purge, and Shredder gyros however are not that good for my play style. I tried to use purge gyro for a bit, but the elixir gun gives me more value. Every time I used Blast gyro, I felt like I was being a noobish bearbow #4. I quickly removed that from my skill bar knowing just how annoyingly unnecessary knockbacks are.

I understand your movement concerns, but you get use to the quirky movement once you play enough with them and understand how they work. I’ve pretty much dialed it in now and know how to tether the gyros to keep up with me, especially the sneak gyro. I do suspect this is a bug though, but since there’s a workaround it’s not critical.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lemondish.3268

Lemondish.3268

I’m not sure your anecdotal evidence will help. I don’t have any issues downing targets at level 80 with a mostly gyro build, for instance. Neither example helps us provide usable feedback.

I disagree on a few of your points, but where we do agree it tends to be the exact same feedback the developers have heard since BWE3. Gyros do not follow well enough.

Shredder gyro is not meant to be for damage. It’s purpose is to pump out whirl finishers, and it does that remarkably well. I do wish whirl finishers could hit targets a bit more reliably, but I have had whole boatloads of fun and success using it in conjunction with the Mortar Kit for all sorts of combos. The larger the target, the better it works as well, which is pretty nice as large targets tend to be far more dangerous.

Blast Gyro seems to be entirely focused on providing a knockback/defiance bar damage as its primary purpose. If we accept that purpose as its primary goal, then it works pretty well at what it does and any extra damage is a nice bonus.

The rest of the Gyros have pretty great functionality through their toolbelt skills, which are honestly part of the reason why their pathing issues haven’t completely destroyed their viability. Bulwark also has a pretty nice range on its effect, and the Scrapper fighting style seems to reward staying in close on the target rather than bouncing between melee and range. That helps Gyros remain somewhat effective at following you when you’re engaged with a single target, but the moment multiple targets get involved they have trouble keeping up.

I think Gyros would be very strong utility choices if they orbited the Scrapper instead of following like pets.

in Engineer

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

I disagree on a few of your points, but where we do agree it tends to be the exact same feedback the developers have heard since BWE3. Gyros do not follow well enough. …

This (all of the post, not just the quote) is where I am at when them. If I am in scrapper, I am running hammer, if I am running hammer, I am mostly in melee, if I am in melee, blast doesnt need to track the target. I can go blast gyro +hammer 5-> 3 and take huge chunks out of breakbars.

However, yes, the pathing still needs to be worked on. sneak (or all defensive gyros, heal, sneak and bulwark) needs to pulse itself swiftness as I still outrun it when I have swiftness and it barely keeps up when using mechalegs, I will get ahead of it as soon as it hits a rock. I honestly think that, since gyros are supposed to be “hovering” anyway, they should be able to hop up a step as high as a character could jump up.

The only actual skill I dont have much use for as of now is the sneak toolbelt in pve. Have it also apply a new 3 second aura to the player that blinds when struck or something.

(edited by That Guy.5704)

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

They don’t track fast enough, they don’t track well enough, they don’t do enough.

I agree with the first 2 for sure. As I have posted before, they need to make the active gyro effects work off the engineer similarly to how the toolbelt skills from bulwark and medic gryo do. That way when the gyro pathing gets wonky we don’t lose out.

As to your last portion, which gyros do not do enough, and why? Purge gyro does enough in my opinion, bulwark gyro is awesome, sneak gyro is everything you expect. Medic gyro could use a tad more.

I feel like your just trying to complain rather then offer constructive feedback. Don’t do that. It is one of the bad habits that encourages the devs not to post in a discussion.

They are all pretty much functionally useless.

I am not sure you actually know what that means. They all function as advertised, other then the pathing issues.

They should all be permanent active other than stealth, shredder and blast to have any functionality at all, and they should follow like necro minions in my opinion. Plus blast, shredder both need a huge damage buff. Plus… do these things even receive stacking rune effects?

You literally just declared “they should all”, then immediately contradicted it in the same sentence offered exception to 1/3 of them. Why not just detail your issues and thoughts for improvements for each one.

When a shredder on a level 80 Scrapper cannot down a group of 3 level 8 moas without intervention… yeah, it needs a HUGE buff.

That is irrational in my opinion. A utility skill should not be capable of soloing 3 anything. For one, this game scales you and consequently your utilities. If your going to clutter the discussion, by making a thread for your own opinion, instead of contributing to an already existing thread on the same topic, you should at least not make comments that are counter to the most basic understanding of the game.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Coglin nailed everything, but here are some of my thoughts:

Medic, Sneak and Bulwark Gyros are are all good utilities. Medic could use a buff, and Sneak’s toolbelt a tweak, but nothing more.

Shredder Gyro is not meant to do damage. I think it is a fundamentally misguided utility, but so is the suggested fix.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Shredder Gyro is not meant to do damage.

shredder does whirls. whirls can (and should be able to) do sexy damage. but they dont work – whirls are broken.

the issue isnt shredder. its whirls. =(

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I think the original point that gyros are ‘functionally’ useless would be more correct if it stated that they are ‘relatively’ useless.

I think this applies to PvP as well, but overall, while these gyros do function at a decent level on their own, there’s just better options for those functions.

This is why you see so many people defending these gyros. Because you can use these gyros and function to a valid point and they may even work very well in certain situations/builds, but when it comes to making the most effective and efficient build possible for PvE or any other serious objective in the game, gyros just don’t fit in.

…but of course, Sneak Gyro is the one exception. =P