HGH P/P Cond Armor - What is best for WvWvW?

in Engineer

Posted by: GimpCent.9268

GimpCent.9268

Looking for any bit of info

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

in Engineer

GimpCent.9268

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/engineer/?2.1|a.1b.h2.a.1b.h1h|0.0.0.0.0.0|1b.71h.1b.71h.1b.71g.1b.77.1b.71g.1b.77|1b.62.1b.62.1b.62.1b.62.1b.62.1b.62|u57b.0.0.u2ab.a6|30.d|2b.2f.2g.2j.0|e

Was thinking more along these lines, not sure and its a huge karma/dungeon run investment to gather all the exotic armor etc. So I wanted to check what other people run.

Nades are needed in WvWvW in my opinion

(edited by GimpCent.9268)

in Engineer

Amadeus.5687

That is a start yeah! If you want to roll with that in WvW, I would swap out the 2x Fire Runes for 2x Lyssa, and then swap your guns for 2x Giver’s weapons, that would put you on 100% condition duration, making the bleeding last for 24 seconds from nade skill 2, and incendary Powder burn last for 4 seconds, and since you run the classic HGH grenade build you will be a bit low on burning, so the longer you can have it last, the better!

Also I would probaly swap the attunement Crystals for the Maintance Oil, Critical chance should lay at 40-45% mark, and you will have plenty of condition damage since your running a HGH build!

Grenade are never NEEDED in WvW, they are just quite potent, but it really depends a lot on what you like to do in WvW ^^

in Engineer

GimpCent.9268

(edited by GimpCent.9268)

in Engineer

Posted by: LotuS.4378

LotuS.4378

Sure boys, go with 1000 toughness to WvW, and sure go with granade, where on first blob you will die from reta.

loled.

[INC] Incendies
http://incendies-guild.tk/

in Engineer

Amadeus.5687

The first build looks really solid now! I would swap the Force Sigil for Corruption, because you will get 25 stacks fast in WvW, and it’s a lot of condition damage right there! Personal I run with Corrpution until 20-25 stacks and then I swap it for sigil of force!

The second build you link is really strong (that’s what Maskaganda run), but I would try get “somewhat” the stats his running, 60% critical chance with a lot of Fury uptime (20%+ crit chance), is over kill, so you want to trade the Rabid armor for Carrion or even some soldier armor (or a mix), so you will sit on the 40-45% mark without fury!

For how Maskaganda’s build work you can look it up on youtube, he got some awesome footage of it in roaming action!

in Engineer

Amadeus.5687

@LotuS his sitting at about 1500 Toughness
Keep in mind that not all matchups have those huge blobs, I recently moved away from Piken Square because my guild and myself got to tired of these 60-70+ groups running around! We now max face groups of 40 people most of the time, and that’s only rare and in EB, so it’s a lot better!

and heck, even in T3+ you can have a lot of fun roaming around taking camps, or following the zerk to pick off people from the side! There is a lot more to WvW then blob fighting!

in Engineer

Posted by: LotuS.4378

LotuS.4378

Keep in mind that not all matchups have those huge blobs, I recently moved away from Piken Square because my guild and myself got to tired of these 60-70+ groups running around! We now max face groups of 40 people most of the time, and that’s only rare and in EB, so it’s a lot better!

and heck, even in T3+ you can have a lot of fun roaming around taking camps, or following the zerk to pick off people from the side! There is a lot more to WvW then blob fighting!

1500 for solo/small roaming pt? for sure no, 1700 its min for engi roamer.

[INC] Incendies
http://incendies-guild.tk/

in Engineer

Amadeus.5687

You are wrong, I got several video’s proving that you are wrong, and I can’t be kitten to discuss it anymore then that you do not need 1700 toughness to roam!

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

1500 for solo/small roaming pt? for sure no, 1700 its min for engi roamer.

I run with less than 1300 and I do just fine.

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

Anyway health gives u more surviveability in the first 30-40 seconds.

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

You can run in glass cannon and do just fine, vitality and toughness will rarely matter if you screw up.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Posted by: MikeT.9428

MikeT.9428

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/engineer/?2.1|a.1b.h2.a.1b.h1h|0.0.0.0.0.0|1b.71h.1b.71h.1b.71g.1b.77.1b.71g.1b.77|1b.62.1b.62.1b.62.1b.62.1b.62.1b.62|u57b.0.0.u2ab.a6|30.d|2b.2f.2g.2j.0|e

Was thinking more along these lines, not sure and its a huge karma/dungeon run investment to gather all the exotic armor etc. So I wanted to check what other people run.

Nades are needed in WvWvW in my opinion

If you can master grenades and actually like using them they are the best for damage. I like the pull, block and confusion tool kit gives so I have a more pistol related build.

As far as toughness, vitality goes. If you run on higher tier servers you will get steam roll zerged on occasion and only elixir S, and/or toolkit shield will keep you alive for a few seconds. It also depends on who you face, a condi class vitality is better, a thief or burst class toughness is good.

Jade Quarry
Never underestimate an engineer with a wrench
Exploding illusions FTW

(edited by MikeT.9428)

in Engineer

Posted by: Lanny.6987

Lanny.6987

My take on Maskaganda’s gear setup but without Ascended items.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/engineer/?2.0%7Ca.1h.h17.a.1n.h5%7C0.0.0.0.0.0%7C1o.71g.1o.71g.1b.71h.1n.71h.1b.b1h.1n.b1h%7C1h.62.1h.62.1h.62.1h.62.1h.62.cg.67%7C0.u46c.a6.u24b.0%7C2m.e%7C2b.2g.2j.2h.0%7Ce

Yes, I should switch to a Giver’s pistol and use Rare Veggie. Been playing up alts to see if anything is as fun. (Mesmer is close – I need more practice. Ranger is fun in Dungeons. Guardian is meh. Working Necro to 80.)

in Engineer

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Unless you are running around killing upleveled clueless players and being useless in general condition damage is worthless, your conditions will last less than a second against decent groups and your direct damage will be pitiful at best.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in Engineer

MikeT.9428

Unless you are running around killing upleveled clueless players and being useless in general condition damage is worthless, your conditions will last less than a second against decent groups.

In zerg fights, yes. It’s pretty useless but against supply camps and fighting 3 or fewer people it’s pretty effective with HGH.

Jade Quarry
Exploding illusions FTW

in Engineer

Spiuk.8421

Unless you are running around killing upleveled clueless players and being useless in general condition damage is worthless, your conditions will last less than a second against decent groups.

In zerg fights, yes. It’s pretty useless but against supply camps and fighting 3 or fewer people it’s pretty effective with HGH.

If you are fighting 3 or fewer people you are being useless, that’s why I made the distinction. In that case just run whatever you run in spvp, most likely rabid + lyssa.

in Engineer

Amadeus.5687

Spiuk got and put tyour ignorance somewhere up in a dark hole where it can have fun!

Supply Camp capturing, defending, Dolyak defending and killing, reincorment harrasement ect. is all very important and usefull things to do in WvW, beside running and ramming your head into stuff with zerg!

in Engineer

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

Spiuk got and put tyour ignorance somewhere up in a dark hole where it can have fun!

Supply Camp capturing, defending, Dolyak defending and killing, reincorment harrasement ect. is all very important and usefull things to do in WvW, beside running and ramming your head into stuff with zerg!

This is the problem with WvW right now. Too many people think you’re only being useful to your team if you’re running around with your 70 person full map zerg and flipping Keeps and Towers.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

in Engineer

Spiuk.8421

If you can’t see the difference between a 10-15 ppl group and a 70ppl blob you are doing it extremely wrong.

in Engineer

Amadeus.5687

and if you can’t see the difference in being useful and not useful in WvW when doing solo play, then you are doing it extremely wrong! If you need 10-15 people for doing something usefull in WvW that’s fine, the rest of us can do it just fine solo

in Engineer

MikeT.9428

If you are fighting 3 or fewer people you are being useless, that’s why I made the distinction. In that case just run whatever you run in spvp, most likely rabid + lyssa.

You are entitled to your opinion. Taking camps solo is pretty good for your team IMO but you can run with the zerg like the rest of the…

Jade Quarry
Exploding illusions FTW

in Engineer

Spiuk.8421

You are entitled to your opinion. Taking camps solo is pretty good for your team IMO but you can run with the zerg like the rest of the...

You can’t flip camps on your own unless you play against servers with bad/no scouting or when everyone is sleeping (and even that dosesn’t work against servers with good coverage).

In both cases those points won’t really matter since you can’t take towers on your own.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

Grenades are not needed in WvW. When you do want to use them just switch your kit.

If you are solo roaming run whatever gear you want. If you are running with a large group and specced as glass cannon, you will get a lot of hate for rallying the enemy constantly. Wear P/T/V.

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

in Engineer

MikeT.9428

You are entitled to your opinion. Taking camps solo is pretty good for your team IMO but you can run with the zerg like the rest of the…

You can’t flip camps on your own unless you play against servers with bad/no scouting or when everyone is sleeping (and even that dosesn’t work against servers with good coverage).

In both cases those points won’t really matter since you can’t take towers on your own.

Just stick with you zerg I’ll flip the camps you leave. I play on JQ BTW. The post is about HGH in WvW. It’s effective if you know what it’s strengths and weaknesses are. I find it quite good running solo or with a small group. I try to avoid the zergs unless they are taking hills, bay or garri. I find small fights much more fun.

Jade Quarry
Exploding illusions FTW

in Engineer

Posted by: Tacgnol.8079

Tacgnol.8079

Hello,
sorry to necro a bit this thread, but I am very interested in the original topic, as I also am going to buy my WvWvW armor soon. I am specced P/S engineer HGH with nades, and was basically wondering which of rabid or carrion is the best. Or perhaps, which are the min HP / Thoughtness values recommended for overall WvWvW.
Thanks for your answers ! (Bonus question: as shields can also have carrion / rampager stats, which ones would you recommend ?)

in Engineer

Tacgnol.8079

Shameless bump ! I cannot be the only one to be interested by this question, or ? :-)

in Engineer

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

Shameless bump ! I cannot be the only one to be interested by this question, or ? :-)

I cannot fully answer this as my engineer is only level 12 atm. I do however have an ele and thief that I play in wvw. For stats I really go for whatever fits my build. Rampager, carrion and rabid all have good stats for a HGH engineer so it’s a matter of balancing them to get the right amount of stats.

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

in Engineer

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

For example, my thief has mostly valkyrie equips, but there’s also some knight’s in it and some berserkers. Overall, this puts me at 3k attack, 45% crit rate, 99% crit dmg, 2.5k armor and 16k health. I feel like this is a really good set up so far. If I feel like I’m getting squished too hard I’ll probably try to add in some more knight’s or cavalier to try to make up for that. It’s all about trying out and not being afraid to using multiple armor sets.

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

in Engineer

Tacgnol.8079

@Vinceftw: ok I see, this helps already.

in Engineer

Posted by: Devinchi.2756

Devinchi.2756

Rabid seems to be the general consensus for a standard HGH build, but I’ve been running Rampagers armor with Carrion trinkets on my wvw HGH build. I chose that setup because I prefer to have more of a balance between condi and direct damage, especially since grenades perform well when specced for either kind of damage. Additionally, siege isn’t affected by conditions nor can they be crit, so with some investment in power that I get from Ramp/Carri gear, I can knock down cannons/arrowcarts/ballista much quicker. You sacrifice some defense, but you can usually get around those issues with some smart play and being careful in picking your fights.

Heavy Charrtillery – lvl 80 Engineer
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Engineer

Posted by: Sabull.5670

Sabull.5670

When people talk about WvWvW they should distinguish between roaming and raiding. (and don’t say anything about 80 blob, it doesn’t matter how u play there but that’s not what people ask help for and noone needs to comment about it)

Roaming and raiding have a mile difference. Engi is one of the if not the top character as a solo player in wvw – for soloing camps, 1vX, occasional raid harrash with big nade range, doors.

Atm conditions are engineers strenght so roaming builds are(/were – confusion nerf – more data required to see wazzup with those specs) HGH P/P nades and 14 confusion toolkit/bomb P/P among other P/P variations. Direct dmg builds much less effective for roaming in general – unless you concider 1v1-1v2 succesful.

But how to spec for organised – or less organised guild/raid fighting. Where there is massive amount of condition removal – depends so much of the tier quality. It is not so simple for engis to incorporate their condition builds.

Anyway, I run the most OP spec in the game (atleast prepatch) P/P HGH nades for both solo roaming 1vX and occasional raid follow. That works great in the raid in my tier as our server are always the kite team.
FOR WHICH THE GEAR SETUP IS full Rabid (half half carrion&rabid if you have problem finding rabid jewellery for example), sigil of earth. 3x Might % rune sets or rune set of your choise. Rare veggie pizza. 20 stacks of solo bleeds each ticking upto 150 – nuff said.

But the instant you drop sigil of earth, you swap to carrion.

[TA]

in Engineer

Tacgnol.8079

When people talk about WvWvW they should distinguish between roaming and raiding. (and don’t say anything about 80 blob, it doesn’t matter how u play there but that’s not what people ask help for and noone needs to comment about it)

Roaming and raiding have a mile difference. Engi is one of the if not the top character as a solo player in wvw – for soloing camps, 1vX, occasional raid harrash with big nade range, doors.

Atm conditions are engineers strenght so roaming builds are(/were – confusion nerf – more data required to see wazzup with those specs) HGH P/P nades and 14 confusion toolkit/bomb P/P among other P/P variations. Direct dmg builds much less effective for roaming in general – unless you concider 1v1-1v2 succesful.

But how to spec for organised – or less organised guild/raid fighting. Where there is massive amount of condition removal – depends so much of the tier quality. It is not so simple for engis to incorporate their condition builds.

Anyway, I run the most OP spec in the game (atleast prepatch) P/P HGH nades for both solo roaming 1vX and occasional raid follow. That works great in the raid in my tier as our server are always the kite team.
FOR WHICH THE GEAR SETUP IS full Rabid (half half carrion&rabid if you have problem finding rabid jewellery for example), sigil of earth. 3x Might % rune sets or rune set of your choise. Rare veggie pizza. 20 stacks of solo bleeds each ticking upto 150 – nuff said.

But the instant you drop sigil of earth, you swap to carrion.

Hi, thanks for your answer, this was definitely instructive. I am also a fanboy of Conditions builds. I am at the moment building my own interpretation of the HGH grenadier build, which, while being maybe less overall effective, is very fun, at least for me. I will present it soon in a dedicated post, as such a fun build is worth sharing in my opinion !

Concerning the tier of my server, I believe to be on a tier One EU [Vizunah square]. I often run with the zerg, but appreciate especially sieging with my grenades, and also defending from walls (throwing grenades at people is the most fun for me :-) )

I do not intend to run earth sigil: while being nice, I prefer the “snowball effect” brought by corruption. Other sigil is strenght for might on crit. So I guess following your advice, I shall go full carrion. This was my original intention, even if I do not understand the reason why you say to go carrion if I do not run sigil of earth ?
On teh other hand, I think I also need a bit of thoughness, as well as some precisions for the on crit effect, so I think more and more about including some rabid gear as well, possibly as jewelery.

in Engineer

Sabull.5670

Sigil of earth should be the first choise of the crit proc sigils. So I assumed you would use no proc sigils if no earth.
What you do with corruption is, you have 3 weapons. You stack 25 corruption with Earth+Corruption. And then swap corruption off for Battle+Earth. You keep the 25 stacks.

[TA]

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

Battle and earth do not work together. If one sigil goes on cooldown, all other sigils go on cooldown too. Sigill of Battle has a 9 sec cooldown.

Anyway, for me, sigil of battle is much more worth then sigil of earth. Maybe it’s because of my additional might-duration.

in Engineer

Sabull.5670

I stand corrected! I swear crit proc and swap sigils used to have different cds.
Good to know, I have some possible changes to do!

Let’s do a quick reasonable test to get idea:
nadeing in spvp with 35% crit chance I got about 3 stacks of bleed from the sigil. So lets say I’m using rabid, some elixirs flying about, 8stacks of might, that will give me about 1550 condition damage → 3*120 = 360DPS from earth.

And lets say I use Battle, swapping frequent enough, for another reasonable 8 stacks of might average from battle. 1830 condition damage. Thats 12% boost to my bleed tick, 10% for my burn, 12% poison … 350 more power is abots 17.5% direct damage boost on my setup, where I’m pulling these numbers from.

So let’s just average abit and say Battle gives around 15% boost to DPS compared to no sigils. And earth anywhere between 240-480 DPS.

If my base DPS is around 2500 they are about equal. Well that sounds reasonable, burning 715+ bleeding 10×120 + 3×200 nades every sec. No huge difference either way prolly, but I’ll prolly choose Battle actually. Will suit more specs and one might concider the safer option!

[TA]

in Engineer

Tacgnol.8079

Interresting. I just tested sigil of earth in pvp, and it actually seems to melt quite good with the grenade builds.

On the other hand, strenght helps me to maintain a decent level of might, even if I do not seem to be able to maintain 25 stacks, not even reach once this magic value (I really don’t know how people do this).

One could imagine going earth + corruption for maximum condition spread + conditions damages (I do not like to switch weapons indeed, so battle is out of my options), but then, I assume my might stacks will be quite low, so I still assume strenght keeps the upper hand here.

What do you guys think ? Am I better staying with the strenght one (might on crit), considering that I will probably have + 15 % boon duration from runes in my final build ?

(edited by Tacgnol.8079)

in Engineer

Sabull.5670

You should test just trowing nades on a dummie how many stacks of might do you get from the sigil of strength alone. Not sure if you can get even half as many as from Battle, single target.

[TA]

in Engineer

Posted by: Barricade.3210

Barricade.3210

Between full Rampager and full Rabid which do you think would be better for WvWvW?

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Between full Rampager and full Rabid which do you think would be better for WvWvW?

I’d prefer rabid, but I haven’t given rampager’s an honest try before.

Currently I’m using carrion.

in Engineer

Tacgnol.8079

Well, the more I think about it, the more I think that there are no definitive answer to that question. Indeed, I think it mainly depends on what you and especially your build need to stay alive and kill the guys on the other side. For example, my build relies heavily on grenades and on-crit effects (IP and earth sigils), therefore I will for sure need to have some rabid pieces, as they bring me precision. Thoughtness is not so much a priority for me, as I will likely be quite far from the heat of melee. On the other hand, as I use grenades, power is also something useful for me, so carrion will still fit (given that out main interrest stays the condition damage of course).

All in all, I think a good way to decide is to set yourself some target values for the stats of importance. At the moment, I am still playing around with the build simulator, and consider aiming for 40% crit unbuffed, 1.3K thoughness and 21K health. I do not know if these values are realistic yet, but hey, you gotta start with something I guess…