Healing Engineer Build

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Squee Squashington.5189

Squee Squashington.5189

The following is my current Healing build for my Engineer along with brief explanations of why I chose various aspects of it:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdIQJAqelsTh2tY1Vw8Kw6FLGGk4+7/GAXf83ZYAGX+B-TxxGABAcCBoTJob6JWU9nh2fg8HEATK/GHQAsqCqVGChQIYIEChgUA+NzC-e

Gearing Stats
Apothecary:
-The goal of this build is to maximize healing output as much as possible while having the option to offer supplemental DPS and a few boons when healing is not needed. Healing Power is obviously your primary attribute and Condition Damage will benefit your damage from Pistol/Elixir Gun when your group is topped off. The added Toughness will offer some extra survivability from Power-based attacks. You could swap in a few pieces of Magi’s gear if you want more Vitality but the build includes plenty of condition removal so you really won’t need much.

Sigils & Runes
-Superior Sigil of Transference: A must have for maximizing your outgoing healing.
-Superior Sigil of Water: Offers a small AoE heal on a 5 second cooldown. It also scales up from your Healing Power.

-Superior Rune of the Monk: Without question. Maximum Healing Power, %10 outgoing healing from the 6 piece bonus, %15 Boon Duration for your Regens and Elixir buffs, and the self heal from 4 piece scales with Healing Power. You’ll have to run Ascalionian Catacombs for them so Superior Runes of the Water is a solid backup choice if you don’t already have the dungeon tokens.

Weapons
Pistol + Shield:
-Most of the time spent in this build you will be using Med Kit and Elixir Gun. Pistol in main hand synergizes best will Elixir Gun as the traits and bonuses to condition damage and duration will apply to both weapons when healing is less of a priority.
-One could choose Pistol for offhand slot, but if your priority is healing/support the two hard CC effects from shield are ultimately superior over Pistol’s one soft CC from Glue Shot.

Traits
Inventions
-Over Shield: is a nice choice for adding Protection to nearby allies to help them survive. Automated Medical Response is a good alternative. Bandage Self has a very low cooldown anyways but if you want a little extra insurance, it’s a solid choice.
-Mecha Legs: Mobility can be key to both survival and maneuvering mechanics of a fight effectively. Soothing Detonation is a solid secondary choice but it doesn’t scale overly well with healing power.
-Medical Dispersion Field: is the best choice here and can be a significant portion of your healing output. The other two traits are not worth considering for this build.

Alchemy
-Health Insurance: without a doubt. At time of posting Med Kit 2-5 are situational skills and a little clunky to use, but the majority of your sustained healing will be from Med Blaster and this will boost that healing significantly.
-Inversion Enzyme: All three choices for this tier are viable depending on the encounter but the extra boons from this trait will not go unwanted.
-HGH: This will grant nearby party members might when you throw elixirs on them and also procs from Elixir Gun’s tool belt skill Healing Mist as well as Super Elixir (Elixir Gun 5), making it overall the best choice.

Firearms
-Chemical Rounds: A significant boost for your pistol damage.
-Pinpoint Distribution: Increases your party’s Condition Damage.
-Modified Ammunition: The damage boost can add up on elites and bosses. Since this build is healing focused, it’s also low Precision, making this the optimal choice for your support DPS.

Rotation
Healing is adaptive, so while there is no TRUE rotation this will give a general idea of how the build works.

-As I mentioned, Med Kit 2-5 can be awkward and only heal 1 person per pack so most of your time healing will be spend casting Med Blaster.

-Swap into Elixir Gun for Fumigate if condition removal is needed

-Use Super Elixir for a surge of AoE healing, but make sure to swap back into Med Kit after casting so the healing pulses benefit from Med Kit’s 33% outgoing healing trait.

-Use Healing Mist as needed. (While Med Kit is equipped)

-Use Med Pack Drop on cooldown.

-Toss Elixirs on cooldown.

-Elixir U is nice not only for the Stun Break, but because the quickness can speed up Med Blaster spam, increasing its healing output.

-Elixir B can add a little boost to your support DPS but can be swapped out for Elixir C (for condition heavy fights). Elixir R and S are not terrible choices to swap in either depending on your preference.

-You can drop Supply crate as needed or save it when CC is needed. Supply Crate’s Stun + Shield 4 + 5 is three hard CC’s that can put a massive dent in a boss’ Defiance Bar.

Conclusion
Well, that’s pretty much it. If you’ve made it this far thank you for reading this post. I didn’t see much info in the first couple pages on this subforum so I hope this helps someone out. Feel free to comment or give feedback as needed. Happy healing!

Legendary Defender of Casuals

(edited by Squee Squashington.5189)

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

I just need to ask… why? Druid is way better for healing if that’s what you want to do.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Some people want to give support the way a combat medic does. Which is further intensified when there are such tools that are meant to be used the way they initially wanted to. But sadly, somehow it’s underwhelming even after Anet’s latest redesigns. A dream, old of now 5 years that is overshadowed by about everyone else with these kind of options.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

Healing engi looks like so much fun, wish it could be viable…druid brings all those buffs and their condi damage is stupid easy to put out on top of the healing, hard to justifying bringing the medic engi :/

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I thought well it sort of works I run apothecary p/p scrapper as well in WvW small scale and you can be decently effective even at “low” condi damage… But then I opened the link and my only thought was

Oh dear god why why why is that the healing kit whyyyyyyyyyyyyy please someone burn my eyes off now!

Hahaha…

The problem with an engineer “healer” is that only the elixir gun is actually good at it. Good fire and forget AoE with high uptime leaving you available to do some damage. Holding the medkit will cripple you. Using a sheild will cripple you. Not being a scrapper will cripple you. You’re nothing in a zerg compared to an ele healer that will heal more just by passive AoE (in a coordinated zerg the mobile water field of the healing gyro will probably be 10x as effective in a stacking heal compared to trying to fidget around with the healing kit). You’re going to be dead weight small scale and solo I cant see it defeating anything except maybe outsustaining a worse healer.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic but I just dont see this as good in any scenario.

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Malhavoc Adhamar.3675

Malhavoc Adhamar.3675

This is something I run in WvW for small to mid size groups or zergs when there doesn’t appear to be much in the way of healing from eles or revs.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdIQJAqelUUh+uYXWwdLQ7FLGGlY60fbwYB+CBWYAcf5HA-ThxGQBEU5HAOhAk7BB6JEy+D0T9nJqEccABwqKoWZIEChghQIECSB43KN-e

Rather than doing big single chunks of healing, you’re doing lots of smaller amounts via regen and Soothing Detonations + Medical Dispersion Field triggering. It wont stop heavy spike damage but it’ll help keep a group topped up so that the bigger heals from other professions can be saved when needed.

Never tried it in raids but I doubt it could compete with either the standard druid or a ventari rev.

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: EriskRedLemur.7153

EriskRedLemur.7153

Why the kitten not? Find a guild that isnt about min/maxing crap and have fun. You dont “need” druids or ele healers to beat raids. Yes, they bring all this better and more. But this is very viable, not as “ideal” as Druid but things don’t have to be about speed/min/max/best. PUGS will not be open to this stuff, and I understand that a lot of ppl would be really bad at this engi healer, but if you are competent and know this role, with a guild that’s cool not forcing roles, then great. I always loved a healer engi.

King Slacker, GM LXS (NA) League of Xtraordinary Slackers
THREAD INFO

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Squee Squashington.5189

Squee Squashington.5189

Why the kitten not? Find a guild that isnt about min/maxing crap and have fun. You dont “need” druids or ele healers to beat raids. Yes, they bring all this better and more. But this is very viable, not as “ideal” as Druid but things don’t have to be about speed/min/max/best. PUGS will not be open to this stuff, and I understand that a lot of ppl would be really bad at this engi healer, but if you are competent and know this role, with a guild that’s cool not forcing roles, then great. I always loved a healer engi.

I knew Med Kit was a little subpar, and having never leveled Ranger or Ele past like 20 I didn’t know what I was competing against. But I looked at their kits and healing multipliers and it’s pretty disappointing to see how little attention Engineers have gotten for this. If nothing else, hopefully this thread will bring a little more attention and they can tune the class more in line with other healing builds.

Legendary Defender of Casuals

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Malhavoc Adhamar.3675

Malhavoc Adhamar.3675

I would like a support/healing engineer to be a viable option in PvE/WvW content, however the issue arises (as it has in the past) that you run the risk of making the engineer too powerful. Not because the individual traits/skill(s) are overpowered but their interaction with/and the engineer’s access to their other traits/utilities.

That said I do think med kit needs yet another overhaul. Remove all but skill 1 and replace them with elixirs that modify either the healing output or boons skill 1 gives. Or just turn med kit into an elixir kit where you throw full strength elixir H, B, C, R, U at allies to heal/buff them.

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

I have mained an engi for 5 yrs, but as a multiclass player i have never found any reason to play a healing engi in any game mode, whether pve raids or fractals or pvp or wvw, obviously anything goes in open world pve so its fine to use their, other than that its just subpar even with the best gear possible, its like your gimping yourself for playing it, and i have tried every possible engi build out there.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Lifelike.5862

Lifelike.5862

I actually main a build like this. Apothecary armor and such, Runes of water, etc. Can confirm, it’s way more powerful as a healer than Engineer naysayers would like you to believe. Will it work in raids? No, your toughness interferes with the tank and the only party wide buff you can bring is Pinpoint Distribution, which is better off being used by an offensive Engineer.

For fractals and WvW though, it’s sustainable, heals alot, contributes to DPS, and over-achieves on condi cleansing.

I have found that healing turret is still a little better than medkit if you want burst heals, but medkit does have some arguments in its favor even though it’s a terribly designed kit in need of a major rework. On an organized team with many buffs, the heal per second off your auto attack is actually significant.

Other than that, you get permanent uptime on regen for your entire party, big heals, big cleanse and glorious DoT heals that’ll very easily keep your party topped up while you rotate your damage skills without reliance on a non-combat state like druid’s Celestial Avatar form.

Also, whoever said that Elixer gun is the only good healing skill in the engineer’s repertoir is kidding you. Between Heal turret/Medkit, Your traits splashing self-heals to allies, Mortar Kit’s Elixer Shot and your sigils proccing aoe heals every time you kit switch, you have a constant flow of green numbers to put out at any given time.

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Lifelike.5862

Lifelike.5862

I also prefer to run pistol/pistol over p/s every time. Even with added protection on shield skills, the loss of damage from not having Blowtorch is just not worth it, and since you’ll never match a ‘true’ healer such as a water tempest or Druid, you may as well make use of your condi damage contribution as a strong point of the build. Even with apothecary stats, your blowtorch still does around 10k damage in burns!

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Aetatis.5418

Aetatis.5418

you want something that really heals? (in terms of hp/s … nothing else). beware – its super stationary and can do nothing besides the hp/s fact: no dps, no class buffs, not even a burst heal available.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqensTBdpiFpCupC0ehFDjiOxf8LXc/ChNIMAuv8D-TlhXAByp87I1f2WJIA7PoiegQfAAiCwvA-w

(dwayna rune could be possibly better, cause of the regeneration provided.)

it looks super weird (in fact, it IS super weird) but the heal is about 1500hp/s on allies.
but again: it doesnt offer anything else. ( 6sec protection and almost constant super speed ).
the combo however is pretty easy. camp mekittenit 1111
stand in your blasted gyros (each blasted gyro is about 4sec = 5-6sec super speed) to gain super speed, super speed (and swiftness and backpack regenerator and regeneration) heals you. in combination with medical dispersion field → heals allies for 20% of that amount (times the multiplier on healing allies + multiplier of health insurance (trait)).
each blast heals another 700 + 20% of the 700 healed on yourself. f1 is another 1.3k heal on allies. 6sec water field on elite (heals again ofc).

however… three more flaws: most of the actual heal only has effect, when you are hit and actually heal yourself (afaik). so it would be possibly better if that engi tanks (raid?).
second: lightning fields all over the place = meh!
three: no projection at all (as mentioned above in “super statonary”)

i doubt it would work in any scenario i can think of. but playing with the numbers and mechanics offered… was fun
after having such fun, its almost sad it doesnt really work – not even a niche ^^

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

Every time i see the words healing and engi in the same sentence I wish my old heal bomb build would come back

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

Every time i see the words healing and engi in the same sentence I wish my old heal bomb build would come back

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Dawdler.8521

you want something that really heals? (in terms of hp/s … nothing else). beware – its super stationary and can do nothing besides the hp/s fact: no dps, no class buffs, not even a burst heal available.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqensTBdpiFpCupC0ehFDjiOxf8LXc/ChNIMAuv8D-TlhXAByp87I1f2WJIA7PoiegQfAAiCwvA-w

(dwayna rune could be possibly better, cause of the regeneration provided.)

it looks super weird (in fact, it IS super weird) but the heal is about 1500hp/s on allies.
but again: it doesnt offer anything else. ( 6sec protection and almost constant super speed ).
the combo however is pretty easy. camp mekittenit 1111
stand in your blasted gyros (each blasted gyro is about 4sec = 5-6sec super speed) to gain super speed, super speed (and swiftness and backpack regenerator and regeneration) heals you. in combination with medical dispersion field -> heals allies for 20% of that amount (times the multiplier on healing allies + multiplier of health insurance (trait)).
each blast heals another 700 + 20% of the 700 healed on yourself. f1 is another 1.3k heal on allies. 6sec water field on elite (heals again ofc).

however… three more flaws: most of the actual heal only has effect, when you are hit and actually heal yourself (afaik). so it would be possibly better if that engi tanks (raid?).
second: lightning fields all over the place = meh!
three: no projection at all (as mentioned above in “super statonary”)

i doubt it would work in any scenario i can think of. but playing with the numbers and mechanics offered… was fun
after having such fun, its almost sad it doesnt really work – not even a niche ^^

Well, work is such a relative term. Does all that work to achieve 1500 theoretical hps? Sure it does!

But a mesmer can do a theoretical 2000 hps on allies by pushing one button. That works too.

The struggle of an engineer, lol.

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Aetatis.5418

Aetatis.5418

actually its more like 1800hp/s. but as i mentioned before (several times – so i dont see the point of someone trying to “teach me”) – its just numbers
actual gameplay… did someone even mention it should be playable?

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Ivantreil.3092

Ivantreil.3092

Intersting choice, wouldnt Elixir gun be a better choice over shredder gyro or bulwark gyro though?

PvP Rifle Engi player no matter how dark the meta is.

Metabattle: Drunk Engineer build

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I thought well it sort of works I run apothecary p/p scrapper as well in WvW small scale and you can be decently effective even at “low” condi damage… But then I opened the link and my only thought was

Oh dear god why why why is that the healing kit whyyyyyyyyyyyyy please someone burn my eyes off now!

Hahaha…

The problem with an engineer “healer” is that only the elixir gun is actually good at it. Good fire and forget AoE with high uptime leaving you available to do some damage. Holding the medkit will cripple you. Using a sheild will cripple you. Not being a scrapper will cripple you. You’re nothing in a zerg compared to an ele healer that will heal more just by passive AoE (in a coordinated zerg the mobile water field of the healing gyro will probably be 10x as effective in a stacking heal compared to trying to fidget around with the healing kit). You’re going to be dead weight small scale and solo I cant see it defeating anything except maybe outsustaining a worse healer.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic but I just dont see this as good in any scenario.

Semi unrelated note here but;

I play full Celestial Juggernaut Engi with Leadership runes in WvW (Engi variant- Scrapper varient-) . I’ve tried various different builds and honestly find it to be very effective.

I tried full Dire P/P before and found with Might stacking from Juggernaut, I could get similar Burn bursts in full Cele but have more Power damage and Healing Power to boot. I can get up to 6k ticks if I use my Toolbelt skill and high 4k without from skills on lower cooldowns like Rocket Kick.

I’m not necessarily challenging that it’s better than Apothecary or a dedicated condition build, just that full Cele w/ Juggernaut is quite effective if you can stick to your target to maintain pressure. Though I don’t use it for roaming, it’s a tag and bag bot for zerging, it can still be nasty in small scale as well as providing good AOE heals/support like reviving or condition clearing.

Just a thought in case you’re the same as myself – you like having Healing Power on Engi while still being able to do damage.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

(edited by SpellOfIniquity.1780)

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Dawdler.8521

I’m not necessarily challenging that it’s better than Apothecary or a dedicated condition build, just that full Cele w/ Juggernaut is quite effective if you can stick to your target to maintain pressure. Though I don’t use it for roaming, it’s a tag and bag bot for zerging, it can still be nasty in small scale as well as providing good AOE heals/support like reviving or condition clearing.

Oh I know. I have been running a celestial variant in the past (and every other variant) and might do it again. I have also fought that exact type of scrapper you describe and they can be really nasty indeed. Hell, I even fought a rifle scrapper with something similar and he made it work pretty good. The problem is I prefer pistols which scale poorly with power and I roam in 1-3 man groups 95% of the time. Apothecary is worse for zerging yes and I do feel it in terms of flexibility when I am forced into attacking a zerg. I just find it somewhat better against certain evade builds littering the field like lost kittens…

Some day I got to remember to dps test the difference just in armor/trinkets. Wish I had legendary armor lol.

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

Healing Kit is probably useful if you want to roleplay the GW2 version of ER in the Divinity Reach injured seraph guard hospice.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

(edited by Chorazin.4107)

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

Typically I just jam a couple of water fields and burst finishers into my utility bar for heal emergencies and call it a day.

Supply Crate is very nice for that. Time it right and you can use Heal Turret’s F1 skill for a Heal blast combo with Supply Crate for a nice little combo, and then overcharge the Supply Crate’s own Heal Turret before detonating for another Heal burst.

Shield 4 can be double-tapped to burst off of a water field, too,, and both Flamethrower AND Elixir Gun have Burst Finishers, and on it goes. It’s an easy way to splash some heals around.

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Dawdler.8521

Typically I just jam a couple of water fields and burst finishers into my utility bar for heal emergencies and call it a day.

Supply Crate is very nice for that. Time it right and you can use Heal Turret’s F1 skill for a Heal blast combo with Supply Crate for a nice little combo, and then overcharge the Supply Crate’s own Heal Turret before detonating for another Heal burst.

Shield 4 can be double-tapped to burst off of a water field, too,, and both Flamethrower AND Elixir Gun have Burst Finishers, and on it goes. It’s an easy way to splash some heals around.

Problem still being that while you are doing all the fancy combos the class have, condis still tick for more damage than you heal while you are just giving the enemy free reign to apply even more.

Its like a rap battle, except the guy you are trying to show off against is weilding a claymore. And he doesnt like rap.

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Intersting choice, wouldnt Elixir gun be a better choice over shredder gyro or bulwark gyro though?

I personally feel that EG is a must when you want to heal on Engineer (#4 and #5). However, just as Aetatis I think that Dispersion Field + Rapid Regeneration currently is a rather unique way for Engineers to heal (comparable to Virtue of Resolve). I don’t like the uptime on Superspeed through Gyros, though. I prefer to combine Slick Shoes with other utilities even if it means less uptime. A.E.D. + Dispersion field is pretty awesome too although difficult to use. I also think that Zealots gear would be just fine.

That being said, Engineer won’t ever be too attractive as heal support even though providing the most potent Regeneration when camping traited Med Kit. While they basically do have the tools need, most are undertuned numberwise or too clunky.

Med Kit and Health Insurrance

Health Insurrance is great. The issue is that you usually don’t want to stay in the kit. It’s a way too big damage loss for the healing you provide and the tossable skills are just aweful. They also don’t work too well on Revenant but there we at least got dedicated healing skills and can AA while healing.

I suggested a change while back and still feel that this would help.

Other Issues

Stimulant Supplier is weird. Does anyone use this trait? Probably not. Soothing Detonation is undertuned – at least the scaling got to be better. Bunker Down competes with Dispersion Field. While it could be argued that this is more for self-sustain vs. support the question remains why it could not be placed on a different tier.
Generally, I personally would just like to see the med packs be removed and respective traits and skills compensated in a different way. Additionally, Medical Dispersion Field could use a slight buff in potentcy and radius or an secondary effect (e.g. something ‘on heal usage’).

Healing Engineer Build

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’ve recently updated my build to include a bit more damage and a bit more condi control.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqenUUBVWhdpC+dBsehFDjKMAuv9asAPwFkOzf8LH-TByGQBHUpXCOQA56ECwi9B6oSwkoMINLMAgHAApA8bmF-e

Enjoy folks!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!