Help me back into the game.

in Engineer

Posted by: Westwood.1043

Westwood.1043

Greetings.

Been playing on and off for a year now and I’m back again. I’m an 80 engineer and I could use a bit of direction as to what I should be doing.

Here’s my build:
http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mmMzM9fxxa0mobzkso

This is what I had before I left. I enjoy the playstyle of P/S. Without it I feel like I’m very vulnerable. Tried to find a balance for survival and damage. In groups I’m always throwing pots and doing my best to dodge things coming at me. Though I do feel like my damage is subpar.

Next thing is gear. Not sure if there is a way to copy my gear from game, so I’ll just list it here:

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/71tclg.png[/IMG]

I’m sure I’m going to get a bunch of laughs at what is being done here, but I could use a little help as to where I should be going.

Been running TA groups through the gw2lfg.com site to collect some more Deadly Blossoms, but I’m not even sure if that is something that I should even be doing. I’ve never done a fractal and I’m not even sure what exactly that is. In the mean time I’ve been doing quests and finishing up my story.

Any help as to where I should go is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Snack.9315

Snack.9315

Eh, unless you’re playing in WvW, there’s really no point in having 30 points in inventions… (even then, you probably wouldn’t)
Did you try a HGH grenade build? It should work well with your precision/condition damage, and you can use grenades on party members. Mind you, grenades =/= ranged. You shouldn’t stay too far. Not sure what kind ofbuild I’d recommend… probably 30/0/0/30/0, with 10 extra points wherever you want to invest them.

“Retired” characters: Fruit Salad (Warrior), Blingerton (Engineer), Shixard (Ranger).
Current characters: Mistress Viridi (Elementalist), Pigeon Opener (Engineer).
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2770-3378. Mail me in-game if you add me!

in Engineer

Westwood.1043

I rolled with inventions for the toughness buff. Also the P/S bit too. I don’t ever PvP though.

Before I took a break I did the grenade build and it was a bit of a pain tossing the grenades. I’ll give it another shot though.

in Engineer

Snack.9315

Well, I’ve found that toughness doesn’t really help much. Even then, you mainly put points for the traits, not the stats. The traits in the inventions line are… eh. The 300 vitality from alchemy should be good enough.
As for grenades, there’s really no solution yet. The best you can do is to disable area of effect rings in settings.

“Retired” characters: Fruit Salad (Warrior), Blingerton (Engineer), Shixard (Ranger).

in Engineer

Westwood.1043

Okie doke, I switched to a grenade build. Try that for a bit. Now I have to come up with something that I should be doing. Just run dungeons I guess?

in Engineer

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

Okie doke, I switched to a grenade build. Try that for a bit. Now I have to come up with something that I should be doing. Just run dungeons I guess?

I’d encourage doing Fractals. The lower level ones are good for learning and testing new builds, while the higher level ones are mechanically challenging and fun to do.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

in Engineer

Westwood.1043

Running a fractal know.

Worst experience I’ve had in gaming in a long, long, LONG time.

in Engineer

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

Running a fractal know.

Worst experience I’ve had in gaming in a long, long, LONG time.

Sounds about right.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Engineer

Westwood.1043

Fighting a giant ice guy that we pour lava on. All my stuff is broke and I’ve been dead for an episode and a half of Archer now. If this is 80, I’ll just start another character. This is brutal.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Fighting a giant ice guy that we pour lava on. All my stuff is broke and I’ve been dead for an episode and a half of Archer now. If this is 80, I’ll just start another character. This is brutal.

Sounds like you have the wrong strategy, and rerolling won’t help at all. I’m sure there are fractal guides all over the place, on the one you’re on you need to keep the debuff on him from the fire at all times. 1 person runs switch to switch, will the rest just kite him to each burn spot while ranged DPSing him. It’s not that tough of a fight once you know the mechanics.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Yeah….sounds about right.

Also Archer is the greatest. Carry on.

DH Yak’s Bend – Perfect Dark [PD]
Dr Hoppenheimer – Engi / Meowzir – Guard /
Mulcibur Nox – Ele / Mr Directed – Mes

in Engineer

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

*Extends his hand and grabs onto yours, he motions towards the game and gives you a faint smile as to say, here it is, enjoy yourself."

Best of luck!

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in Engineer

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sounds like you have the wrong strategy, and rerolling won’t help at all. I’m sure there are fractal guides all over the place, on the one you’re on you need to keep the debuff on him from the fire at all times. 1 person runs switch to switch, will the rest just kite him to each burn spot while ranged DPSing him. It’s not that tough of a fight once you know the mechanics.

Agreed to the above – you’ve hit a bit of bad luck, being introduced to Fractals via that one (arguably one of the more tedious of the bunch). I went through a few Repair Canisters on my first Fractal runs (mostly due to that one and Jade Maw), but once you get the hang of them its not as bad – just keep up with the Agony Resist at L10 and above (see wiki).

Also, are you in a guild? IMO, Fractals (like WvW) seem to work best when in a group that has worked together in them, preferably with Voice Comms support. I understand that’s not for everyone, but some of my smoothest Fractal and other dungeon runs have been under Voice coordination. It’s very good at quickly explaining mechanics for the first time too.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

(edited by Sungak Alkandenes.1369)

in Engineer

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

There’s a reason most of the fractal vids on youtube for higher lvls usually show only warriors and guards with maybe 1 Mesmer.

in Engineer

Westwood.1043

All done. I’m out. Joined a group for TA and after 3h of running from the spiders at the final boss its not worth the time or aggravation. Questing was fine, but after that this game isn’t for me. If I liked PvP, then sure I could see myself playing. Leveling was great and the quests were awesome. But the dungeons are an absolute joke.

in Engineer

Snack.9315

It’s like you’re intentionally picking dungeons that people consider hard.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

There’s a reason most of the fractal vids on youtube for higher lvls usually show only warriors and guards with maybe 1 Mesmer.

Because those are the most popular professions? I have done all the fractals at 48 with no Guard or Mesmer.

When people tell me you need X profession for Y content, I just politely tell them they’re wrong. Over a year after release and some people still aren’t getting that this game is designed differently than typical MMOs.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Deacon.9725

Deacon.9725

Because those are the most popular professions? I have done all the fractals at 48 with no Guard or Mesmer.

When people tell me you need X profession for Y content, I just politely tell them they’re wrong. Over a year after release and some people still aren’t getting that this game is designed differently than typical MMOs.

Technically, the data released on the year anniversary would say that Ranger/Warrior are the most popular professions.

Other than that, I agree with you that it’s somewhat silly for people to think content requires a certain profession or party makeup. Are some professions more proficient than others in certain content? Perhaps. But that doesn’t make them also-rans.

To the OP, I am just starting to get into running TA myself since I’m thinking that Nightmare Runes would be fun to play with and if I’m not doing it on my Sylvari, it just feels WEIRD. I just try to run it as my little Asuran Engineer is just as miffed as I am and that this is all some weird mistake of the Eternal Alchemy. ;-)

In other words, OP, I get through my blergh moments re-tackling the game by getting a bit of immersion into the character’s perspective. I know I know, it sounds perilously close to “RPing”, but sometimes it’s actually fun to be able to laugh at the game from inside the game.

tl;dr: if you’re having problems getting back into the game, roll and Asura and mock EVERYTHING.