Hey Devs, Detonate Turret

in Engineer

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

After writing my guide someone mentioned that this was an exploit. I say it shouldn’t be, and should stay as a feature of turrets. No one has complained about it for a full year, and this was in here since the beginning.

When you throw a turret, you gain the detonate toolbelt skill, which can be used as an extra blast finisher without destroying your turret, but only during the time it is thrown and when it lands. You can only do it once per turret, except healing turret. You will get the detonate skill again when the turret lands.

By leaving it in the game, you do the following:

-Keeping turrets viable.
-Don’t have to do anything. It’s already in the game.
-Keep turret engineers happy.
-Keep an interesting and hard to use mechanic that comes with using turrets, which would otherwise be considered a lazy skill.

By taking it out, you have to:

-Fix it, in which along with many other things, would take forever to do and time could be better spent somewhere else.
-Pretty much the opposite of the above list.

Hezzerz – Isle of Janthir [XIII]

in Engineer

WEXXES.2378

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

How is it not an exploit? The word exploit doesn’t have to equal “OMG BANHAMMER FOR YOU”, it’s just an exploit. Something that is clearly not supposed to happen, but you’ve found a weird loophole in the game mechanics.

You can’t really think this should be a feature of turrets… detonating them in mid air just to have them land and be able to detonate again? How on Earth do you think this is okay aside from the fact you’ve been abusing it for months? I mean heck when I read it I thought that was a cool little trick, but come on be honest. It makes no sense and you’re clearly just finding a way around what the mechanics are supposed to be.

This is just like what Static Shield used to be. You could use it, then use other skills while still blocking. Awesome, sure, but clearly not intended and eventually fixed.

When you say that you honestly don’t see anything wrong with this and you think it should stay… it ruins a lot of the credibility you had built up IMO. You’re actually arguing for them not to fix a bug because it’s convenient for you.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

…As a Turret Engineer who didn’t know about this, but who will now be adding it to the list of Turret bugs (making a total of 21, kittening hell):

Here I am, trying to get Turret bugs fixed, and you’re asking them to ignore one.

Yeah, that’s an exploitable bug. It should be fixed. It’s obscure enough that this is the first I’ve heard of it (partially due to skimming the Turret Guide, to be honest), but an exploitable bug is an exploitable bug, and therefore should be patched.
So should a ton of other Turret bugs, but I’ll come back to that.

This does not make Turrets ‘viable,’ and leaving it in under the assumption that it did would be insulting, though I’m hard-pressed to quite enunciate why – the dishonesty, perhaps, in the legitimization of a bug, or perhaps it’s simply the principle of the thing; here I’ve been, using Turrets without exploiting unless it was a workaround for another bug (Rifle Turret Overcharge, in particular, which I’d trigger as soon as the Turret was up anyway), compiling a list of bugs, both those that cripple the skillset and those very few that somehow aid it, and here you are, saying “There’s this bug here, but don’t fix it. It makes these viable.
Maybe it’s the implication that this exploit is necessary.
Whether Turrets are viable in their present state is not a debate I want to get into, so I’m not going to go on about this particular facet further.

This does not make me, a Turret Engineer, happy. You know why? Because it’s yet another kittening bug on the stack, but this is a bug they might actually hotfix. Also, see above. Do I sound happy?
You ask them to ignore one bug – why should we ask them to fix the others, if they do? Because this bug ostensibly helps us, through some kittenamamie bullkitten involving dropping and doublepopping? Our other bugs help other people – should those not be fixed? What sense does it make to pick and choose which issues should be resolved?

Therefore: This is being added to the list. I’ll even make sure to tag it as an exploit. Think I might even log into the game to report it.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

How long bug must be there to transform into regular feature?:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

If that’s the measuring stick, then stop using Turrets – they’ll never fix them.

in Engineer

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It’s an exploit. How could anyone argue that it isn’t? If thieves had the ability to hit you with heartseeker mid shadowstep then again at the end of the shadowstep, and only pay the initiative price once, contrary to the intended use of the skill, would anybody at all argue that it wasn’t an exploit?

Nope.

This is an exploit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

How is it not an exploit? The word exploit doesn’t have to equal “OMG BANHAMMER FOR YOU”, it’s just an exploit. Something that is clearly not supposed to happen, but you’ve found a weird loophole in the game mechanics.

You can’t really think this should be a feature of turrets… detonating them in mid air just to have them land and be able to detonate again? How on Earth do you think this is okay aside from the fact you’ve been abusing it for months? I mean heck when I read it I thought that was a cool little trick, but come on be honest. It makes no sense and you’re clearly just finding a way around what the mechanics are supposed to be.

This is just like what Static Shield used to be. You could use it, then use other skills while still blocking. Awesome, sure, but clearly not intended and eventually fixed.

When you say that you honestly don’t see anything wrong with this and you think it should stay… it ruins a lot of the credibility you had built up IMO. You’re actually arguing for them not to fix a bug because it’s convenient for you.

He thinks it’s ok because it’s what makes them viable…

If Anet wants to fix it, then fine, fix the turrets already… lol

in Engineer

Posted by: Lord Aargadon.4135

Lord Aargadon.4135

Make the trait give them the supply crate animation, optional small dmg on impact, and add a blast finisher maybe?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

After writing my guide someone mentioned that this was an exploit. I say it shouldn’t be, and should stay as a feature of turrets. No one has complained about it for a full year, and this was in here since the beginning.

When you throw a turret, you gain the detonate toolbelt skill, which can be used as an extra blast finisher without destroying your turret, but only during the time it is thrown and when it lands. You can only do it once per turret, except healing turret. You will get the detonate skill again when the turret lands.

By leaving it in the game, you do the following:

-Keeping turrets viable.
-Don’t have to do anything. It’s already in the game.
-Keep turret engineers happy.
-Keep an interesting and hard to use mechanic that comes with using turrets, which would otherwise be considered a lazy skill.

By taking it out, you have to:

-Fix it, in which along with many other things, would take forever to do and time could be better spent somewhere else.
-Pretty much the opposite of the above list.

Hezzerz – Isle of Janthir [XIII]

Hello,

When you speak of the wolf… Understand me Wexxes, I easely chase after people when I think the things they wrote were incorrect.

You will rarely see me give a good note about something unless it is realy well done and I agreed on everything that was said. I do this because people are usualy very naive and when a guides gets centered around emotions and limited to its own experience it usualy result in a general disinformation, wich is a concept I hate with passion. I also do this because critisism between people tend to make conversation more interesting by un/intentionaly showing the core elements of a specific issue and allowing to recycling previous ideas later into one big and clean pool of information. In other words, this is how you give constructive feedback.

Your post was guided by emotion and didn’t explained anything about what an Engineer is made of. You did show us some research was made on your side about the skills and granted you did gave us a lot of informations about those. But again, you didn’t went to the essential, there was no real reflexion on the topic. For isntance : How do you play your Engineer in those following situations? Are there multiple ways to play that kind of build? Why shouldn’t I pick a particular trait in this specific build? Are there other builds taking advantage of that particular trait you cited before? In wich case how? (and not a simple “It’s garbage because I don’t like it…”)

I understand it took you time to make that post, and it can be frustrating like hell when a guy like me comes in and somehow ruins it for you. But know that no emotions were involved during that time (I am not emotionless, I do flame sometime) and I respect you for trying to give your contribution to this forum.

With great regards,

Ambrecombe.

(edited by Ambrecombe.4398)

in Engineer

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!

Ah, the turret engy. The only build WORSE than banner warriors in PvP…

in Engineer

WEXXES.2378

This is a mechanic I discovered a good 2 weeks after I picked up full turret engineer. Before I even discovered this I already found out turrets were viable anyway. But with this discovery, they were even MORE viable. Forgive my wording up above, of course this alone doesn’t make them viable.

It’s obviously not something I would go full turret engineer just to use this ‘bug’.

You guys make everything sound horrible.

“This is just like what Static Shield used to be. You could use it, then use other skills while still blocking.”

“If thieves had the ability to hit you with heartseeker mid shadowstep then again at the end of the shadowstep, and only pay the initiative price once”

It’s not even close to any of those. Those bring pain to other classes. How does a 0 damage skill that is a blast finisher equal to something overpowered in use?

The reason why I mentioned the word ‘viable’ is because:

With OTHER skill choices, you can achieve the same effect and MORE than turrets for blast finishers alone. With this feature, it lets you keep your turrets for half of what it really can do right now.

You can’t deny that, period. Rocket Boots, Bomb Kit, Elixir Gun. 3 Blast finishers, just like any other turret, except you have an escape and 10 extra skills to use. Not only that, those blast finishers actually do something.

I see almost everyone complaining about how bad turrets are in PvE. I decide to share a useful feature, despite being a ‘bug’. Now you guys want this bug fixed rather than kept? It doesn’t break anything, it only adds. And unlike most exploits, this doesn’t really hurt other classes.

If you guys really hate it that much, then I’ll support the cause to fix it. I thought this nice feature would bump up the spirits of people who use turrets, but I guess you guys don’t want that at all. Because even if this is fixed, which I hardly use or exploit 5% of the time I actually deploy a turret, everything else I know about how to use turrets still works and will be better with the new patch.

in Engineer

WEXXES.2378

Huge paragraph

With great regards,

Ambrecombe.

None taken. That guide I wrote was mainly on the features of turrets.

As I stated before, turret gameplay is highly reliant on positioning. By fixing all of those bugs, including this one, they will still be viable. Maybe even more. I will be sad if they do take this feature specifically out, but that doesn’t change the way I play.

Even before I discovered this, I was still highly successful in dungeons, fractals, WvW, and sPvP.

Now add in a trick to get 3 blast finishers without blowing up your turrets. It only adds, really. There is no relying on a trick to accomplish something. Its simply that. A trick, but also a small exploit.

What I wanted to ask Devs is to keep this neat trick in. It’s not super easy to use, quite the contrary. If you try this trick mid fight without practice, you are going to use up your toolbelt skills by accident, forget for a split second about attacking, pretty much anything. This is something that takes a lot of getting used to use. If it was easy mode, then sure, I wouldn’t recommend keeping it in the game.

But to address this as a bug that takes away from turret gameplay is definitely wrong, and that’s a fact. It doesn’t break turrets, it doesn’t make them overpowered, it doesn’t make them underpowered, it doesn’t bug the turrets, it doesn’t do anything except give 1 extra blast finisher per turret use. You can’t spam it. You can’t benefit from anything except having more blast finishers. It doesn’t make turrets weaker or hit harder.

So can someone explain to me how this takes away from the turret experience? Try it yourselves in WvW and in sPvP. It definitely gave a fresh breath of air for me and I already loved turrets before that.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

So… you acknowledge it gives free blast finishers but then say it doesn’t give any benefit? If it truly gave no benefit why do you even care?

It is exactly like the Static Shield example I gave. If you’re playing an Engineer and truly think blast finishers are meaningless… I just don’t know what to say. Getting free blast finishers that don’t destroy your turrets is incredibly abusable. Heck, you even gave examples of what cool things you can do with all these blast finishers in your guide! I don’t think you’re being very honest with yourself about this.

I get it, you enjoy it. I enjoyed the Static Shield bug. That doesn’t change the fact it’s a bug and should be fixed.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

I don’t know what K-style is, or Skiing, or Orb Walking, but Wave Dashing and Rocket Jumping are exploits, not simply the result of bugs, as far as I’m aware, and I figure the rest probably follow the same pattern of “I can do this thing that’s not expected, but not the result of something malfunctioning, and it actually adds something to the game.” The developers had no reason to remove those, so they didn’t.

They have, by contrast, at least two reasons to remove this: It’s a bug, and it’s an exploit that allows a quad-Turret Engineer to access up to eight, if I’m counting this properly, Blast Finishers. I’m not sure whether this bug would trigger Accelerant-Packed Turrets or deal damage if the turret weren’t detonated upon landing, but it’s still an exploitable bug.

This doesn’t add anything, it’s simply an unintended consequence of mistimed Toolbelt skill changes and a lack of persistence between midair actions and actions after landing. The result is a nonsensical exploit and yet another bug on the already massive list, except for some reason this one’s supposed to be intentionally overlooked based on the idea that it will be embraced as a facet of Turret play.
Are we supposed to embrace the unavoidable exploit resulting from the workaround involving the Rifle Turret Overcharge’s faulty fire rate, too?

Yo, I ain’t gonna lie, I feel spammy having the same conversation twice.