Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

I’ll make this quick. I posted something similar to this thread months ago but I feel like now might be a better time for this to get noticed because of ANET’s great success in the plush backpacks.

Situation (Optional Read): So I’m walking down Lion’s Arch and the sylvari ladies are swooning (and some of the men). A little flex of that 3 inch circumference bicep and they go wild. That Nightmare Court Set shows how much of a bad-boy my sylvari is. I’m feeling a little kitteny so I decide to put on a little fire show for my amazed spectators so I slot my grenade kit. However, to my dismay, the hobo sack instantly drains all of my charisma. My 3 inch bicep reduces to a 1 inch instantly. My nightmare court gear instantly withers away to dust. The show was over before it even began. The once entranced sylvari ladies now walk over to the suave elementalist who displays a fire show so great, it nearly made a steam vegetable mix out of the audience. I log out, uninstall, drive over to ANET HQ, and dump 10 lbs of freshly steamed garden salad in front of their doors.
—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
Story Time over

-This game is based on cosmetics. Endgame is based on cosmetics. Dungeon armor serves only to provide cosmetics. People spend hours and hours on cosmetics.
-Engineers must wear hobo sacks and stow their weapons during parts of fights. Almost all engineers have at least 1 hobo sack in his/her utility slots.

- Hobo sacks are ugly. They cover the beautiful plush backpack items. My hobo sack doesn’t match my bad-boy Nightmare Court wardrobe.

Solution: 1. Allow cosmetic upgrades to hobo sacks available in the gem store (Maybe I can turn my cute quaggan backpack into a grenade bag?). 2. Allow us to use kits without having hobo sacks. 3. Let us display our stowed weapons while using grenades or a flamethrower, etc.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Simplest and most efficient fix: Give us a toggle to hide or show hobo-sacks when we have a kit equipped. It’s probably an easy update, it is optional (so those who want to keep the hobo look can), and it will probably help sales for the new quaggan and charr backpacks.

Thanks.

(Edit: Added a story to the top for a more interesting time with the thread)

(edited by Turbo Whale.1738)

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

Best thread title ever.

I’ve always though that solution 1 was the only solution. Backpacks Identify us as engineers, so let us upgrade those ugly things when we upgrade our gear.

in Engineer

Posted by: MeateaW.3519

MeateaW.3519

give hobosacks a unique skin based on the chest-armor piece you are wearing.

CoF hobosack = on fire
HoTW hobosack = Block of Ice
AC hobosack = glows at night
SE hobosack = really ugly
etc.

Also, hobosack – totally my new name for them.

in Engineer

Turbo Whale.1738

The easiest solution in my opinion is allowing us to toggle whether or not to hide the toolkit when it is out. The ideal solution in my opinion would be to create a plethora unique and awesome engineer kit skins including cool flamethrowers and elixir guns etc.

in Engineer

Posted by: DDog.4350

DDog.4350

This Thread is…. Just Perfect!
I took some time to make my engineer look good in PvP, but from our point of view the
“Hobosack” (lol) makes it look ugly anyway.
Your solution 1 is perfect. Make it happen A-net.

in Engineer

Posted by: damny.9342

damny.9342

I’d pay real money for kit skins. It would be even nicer if they were available in game in some way.

I’ve been making a point of stowing my kit whenever I’m not actively using it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sean.8921

Sean.8921

Solution: 1. Allow cosmetic upgrades to hobo sacks available in the gem store (Maybe I can turn my cute quaggan backpack into a grenade bag?).

Take it one step further by changing grenade animations to throwing quaggans and someone will get my lifetime vote for President of Earth.

Captain Charrmandre (SoR) Occasional streamnanigans @ https://goo.gl/9HZUb1

(edited by Sean.8921)

in Engineer

Posted by: BardaTheHobo.9752

BardaTheHobo.9752

Whats wrong with Hobos?!?! lol Anyways I agree it would be nice to be able to customize the kit bags appearance or disable the appearance at least. I remember back in beta the bags never showed due to a bug when switching. But i think I like option 3 the best, mainly because I have a shiny weapon that no one ever sees because I run a all kit build usually.

Dextarr Thunderfuse – Charr Engineer
Rragar Ragehammer – Charr Warrior
Achilles Adrastos – Human Warrior

in Engineer

DDog.4350

Hey, i just noticed new backpacks in store. I have seen a backpack before but they dont cover up the engi backpacks, do they? :o

in Engineer

Posted by: BoomSeal.4058

BoomSeal.4058

I will sign this petition for Hobosack customization.

in Engineer

Posted by: MikeT.9428

MikeT.9428

+1

I’d pay with gems to get a backpack to replace hobosack, gems to change the look of the bag (on fire, ice, bag of cave troll heads), I would use gems to toggle it off only if a guild backpack or another back piece was still visible.

Jade Quarry
Never underestimate an engineer with a wrench
Exploding illusions FTW

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

+1 from me too, I want to see it happen!

in Engineer

Posted by: houndmd.4360

houndmd.4360

Don’t bind the name “Hobo the Sackburdened” til morning, I’m too lazy to log in now after all those world bosses.

in Engineer

Posted by: Snafoo.2869

Snafoo.2869

I think the real problem here is: we don’t have enough hobo gear!
I’ve been trying to complete my hobo look for months now, and some of the crafted gear looks almost shoddy enough to match it, but it still doesn’t quite capture that urine stained essence of the hobo sack.

in Engineer

Posted by: Macha.9160

Macha.9160

Why not just give us a option to turn of the look of hobos for us? (others see them, becaus, yeah, they can identify our kit with it >.<)

But we, for us, don’t need to see them. We KNOW which kit we use…so please give us something to toggle it on and off for us.

I would even buy the new monke…i mean charr backpack

in Engineer

Turbo Whale.1738

Thanks for the support, guys. Anet seems to be doing really well in selling the backpacks so now would be a great time for this issue to get noticed and maybe us engi’s can get a little love.

There are plenty of ways of going about this problem including the cash shop or not. A simple toggle to disable the hobo sack could go very far.

in Engineer

Posted by: Talsi.1469

Talsi.1469

+1
And as my post must be at least 15 characters long I am adding this sentence.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

in Engineer

Posted by: shanmugong.6750

shanmugong.6750

+1

And I am using a P/S build. Even when I stow my kit, my shield will be covering my quaggan backpack. It is depressing…

Shanmugong Asuran Engineer.
Crystal Desert. [KoME]
Once an Engineer, Always an Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Tobkilla.4612

Tobkilla.4612

+1

I would pay gems, to not have to see any backpiece!

in Engineer

Posted by: XerxesBlack.5892

XerxesBlack.5892

+1

Yes. I run grenades in dungeons and the kit on my back looks like crap. we should be able to choose the colors at least. Toggle it on/off would also be fantastic.

I know they don’t want us to because it is for WvW and PvP so others can see our kits and know what we’re using (kinda like the ele), but the elementalist looks awesome. ours makes us look like a hobo.

Beaks N Talons [NERF] – Engineer of the great and mighty Fort Engineer guild!

(edited by XerxesBlack.5892)

in Engineer

DDog.4350

+1

Yes. I run grenades in dungeons and the kit on my back looks like crap. we should be able to choose the colors at least. Toggle it on/off would also be fantastic.

I know they don’t want us to because it is for WvW and PvP so others can see our kits and know what we’re using (kinda like the ele), but the elementalist looks awesome. ours makes us look like a hobo.

This question might sound kitten But is it possible to see in what attunement an ele is if he is not using skills and we dont look at his boons?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

+1

Not much more to say.

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Maybe I am a hobo, trolling for bags of loot. Gonna go make some mulligan stew now.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in Engineer

Posted by: Shivenis.3761

Shivenis.3761

This question might sound kitten But is it possible to see in what attunement an ele is if he is not using skills and we dont look at his boons?

They have a pair of bracelet of the elements they are tuned in.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

No cosmetic backpacks, and for the larger part of my time I don’t see my weapons either…

When you drag the hobo sack around, it means you use a kit. At least one…
When you use a kit, you don’t see your weapon in that time.

This sort of puts me of from getting a legendary at all for my engineer.
Well, that and the fact that the legendary pistol goes ‘honk honk’ and than flowers pop out or something…

So yes: please add some spice to the hobo sack!

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Orissa.1872

Orissa.1872

Sorrow’s Embrace gear solves this problem. But kitten, gearing like in falet* coz of our hobo bags? Then my super-matrix-ginger-ninja outfit (CoE) is low, I want matrix bags

*pic related

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: kandolo.2574

kandolo.2574

Funny thing is, my Engineer “Ashcan” Pete will be styled as a drifter. Even then, I don’t like the hobo sack. Hobo sacks aren’t even good enough for hobos.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Cultural Hobosacks!

That way an Asura could buy cultural themed Asuran skins for their kits. Same would apply for every other race getting their own cultural theme.

Cultural vendors are already there, so ANet could make some Engineer Kit skins and add them to a tab for a few gold (I said a FEW gold ANet, not 25g or something)

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Engineer

Posted by: MeateaW.3519

MeateaW.3519

I think the real problem here is: we don’t have enough hobo gear!
I’ve been trying to complete my hobo look for months now, and some of the crafted gear looks almost shoddy enough to match it, but it still doesn’t quite capture that urine stained essence of the hobo sack.

I think my engie is still wearing some level 80 yellow pirate coat.
All raggedy and hobo-sack yellow.

Except for the hat with the giant feather that looks genuinely new, the rest of my clothes make me look like a true hobo. Give it a try!

(Maybe I’ll screenshot myself one day and share my hobo with everyone)

in Engineer

Posted by: InfamousBrad.5879

InfamousBrad.5879

(wry grin)

If Anet didn’t want you to look like a hobo, they wouldn’t offer you the Universal Multitool Pack as a starting costume piece.

Listen, as an Asura, I share your feels. Imagine wearing our racial armor with one of these low-tech backpacks. But we’re probably pretty thoroughly stuck with it, because there probably isn’t any way for them to provide per-character customization options to powers.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lord Aargadon.4135

Lord Aargadon.4135

Make it happen A.Net. This is what they need to be like when you equip the predator :O

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Or give us something that at least resembles what is on the engineer gw2 site page

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Make it happen A.Net. This is what they need to be like when you equip the predator :O

That piece of concept art would be a perfect example to have for Charr engineers as a cultural flamethrower skin in my opinion.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Solution: 1. Allow cosmetic upgrades to hobo sacks available in the gem store (Maybe I can turn my cute quaggan backpack into a grenade bag?).

Take it one step further by changing grenade animations to throwing quaggans and someone will get my lifetime vote for President of Earth.

Heh, now i find myself reminiscing about a old Quake 2 mod called Chaos Quake.

In there they had modified the humble grenade launcher into a weapon that shot smilys. Yep, yellow balls with a smiling face on them. To top it off they didn’t simply explode on landing, but instead jumped around for a while. They even homed in on nearby enemies. All this while making various cheerful sounds, including the classic Tarzan cry.

You could even hit a button and make them sit idle until the button was pressed again, with the example given of stacking a number of them behind a door, wait for someone to walk thru it, and hit the button. End result was a gaggle of “battle cries” and one of sheer terror.

in Engineer

Posted by: pza.8024

pza.8024

+1 backpackhide. noone deserves this. DONT COME WITH IT MAKES NO SENSE, hiding headpieces makes no sense either <.<

in Engineer

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I don’t care how they do it, personally. I would just really like to not have those packs.

in Engineer

Posted by: pza.8024

pza.8024

I don’t care how they do it, personally. I would just really like to not have those packs.

oh and please not for gems only. that would be unfair – it would cost more gems to play an engineer the way you like than any other profession.

in Engineer

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

Better still now with the Charr back pack i want Charr shaped grenades, Mad Cat lady any one

Ulfar SOR

in Engineer

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Make those buyable skills like the wolf thing you got for deluxe edition. In the gemstore there would be the new flamthrower kit skill for like 300 gem and when you buy it you learn it.

Then it is your choice if you slotskill the normal one or the new one.

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I like the idea a hide/unhide toggle for hobosacks.

Actually, I think it’s the only viable option since if we got customization options we’d likely get QQ from other professions about how unfair it is that we can uber-customize our toons (and probably from other engies too for having one more piece to work/pay for to customize).

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I know your pain. My beta Engineer was a Human Noble, going for that kind of gentleman adventurer/steampunk genius look, and all his filthy sacks of crap completely ruined my suave steampunk MacGuyver feel. My first Live Engineer was a Sylvari, and when I realized none of his kits would ever look good with racial armor, I swapped him out for a grizzled old Iron Legion veteran who doesn’t care if his gear looks like crap so long as it’s sturdy and functional. Later, when I expanded my roster to two of every class, Engineer #2 was a minimum-size female Asura to keep the visual impact as low as possible.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

in Engineer

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

(wry grin)

If Anet didn’t want you to look like a hobo, they wouldn’t offer you the Universal Multitool Pack as a starting costume piece.

Listen, as an Asura, I share your feels. Imagine wearing our racial armor with one of these low-tech backpacks. But we’re probably pretty thoroughly stuck with it, because there probably isn’t any way for them to provide per-character customization options to powers.

I was going to argue that City of Heroes had that kind of weapon customization, but then I saw your name and remembered how long it took for them to add it, in a game where custom appearance was arguably one of the most central features. So, yeah, this would probably be far enough out on the development timeline to never actually get done. A hide/unhide toggle is likely the best we can hope for.

<— @Eisenzahn

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

in Engineer

Posted by: KariMejik.7923

KariMejik.7923

+1

I would be very very happy to see a hide/unhide toggle for the Hobosack (which is a brilliant name I will now use at all times.) I have a pretty human woman and I love her gear and her pistols, and while I do switch between weapons and my kit, it would make me very happy to never see that ugly thing again… It just ruins the whole look of my Engi It couldn’t be TOO hard to add a toggle, right? They’d never let us customize because then we’d have more customization than the other classes and they’d be very upset about that. But yes, +1 for toggling hobosacks!

in Engineer

Posted by: Tyler.6731

Tyler.6731

Please make this happen, I hate the hobo sacks. Please let us have some kind of option for them.

(edited by Tyler.6731)

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

From this day forward, the engineer backpack will be renamed “hobosack”!

Why do grenades even need a backpack anyways? Flamethrower, maybe. Elixir gun, I could also understand. But nades?

in Engineer

Posted by: lchan.2169

lchan.2169

lol…wtf….i love the backpack. hobo…pffttt….

in Engineer

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I want a flamethrower backpack with smoke coming out of the top. Or flames, both are cool.

in Engineer

Posted by: Katlyntje.7962

Katlyntje.7962

I’d hate to have to buy a skin for the things with gems. But I would love if ANet could give ‘em new skins themselves. We don’t need racial skins for every kit, just change out the hobosacks for something a bit more aesthetically pleasing across the board.

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. BOOM!

Primary: Gizzmologist Saikka – Asura Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

we were actually supposed to have the option to turn them off at one point or another I remember reading about it in some interview.

We were also supposed to have a very large number of cosmetics both in game and in the store to choose from that didn’t happen.

I wouldn’t hold my breath at this point OP dunno what they’re doing other then the Harlem shake but engineers are not a priority apparently on any front.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

as much as I love this, it won’t happen.

The hobosacks serve an important purpose, telegraphing to other players what skills you have. Much like how you know what a warrior can do when they have a rifle equipped, players need to know what an engineer can do when they have a kit out. While this is a non-issue for the flamethrower and the elixer gun, the others either have very small weapons (tool) or none at all (’nade and bomb).

I’m not too keen on this method as a) the sacks aren’t that visually distinct (especially on an Asura) and b) you don’t get to see much of them if your target is facing you.

I would love to see the sacks go away, but that would require them putting in weapon “skins” for the bomb and grenade kit and likely reworking the wrench for the tool kit to make it more obvious which is which.