Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I think engies should have some sort of steam-powered exoskeleton on their right arm.

After all, they are attacking people with wrenches and crowbars, dealing as much damage as a swordsman. AND they are using a wrench. That means they are fighting with sheer brute force.XD

just adding this here: a simple Whispers set can go a long way towards a robot arm

well, it’s still a shameless bump, because whispers or no whispers, the issue at hand is about backpacks…

Attachments:

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

These backpacks needs to go, I’ve seen this complaints for a long time. since the first weeks of launch!

Can’t they just remove it and use some other means of players monitoring our kits another way? Perhaps some thin belt with a grenade / a fire caution box / gear box / for toolkit etc on the side of the small belt
(small boxes)

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

(edited by Coltz.5617)

in Engineer

Posted by: Tharjax.9068

Tharjax.9068

Why hasn’t this thread been responded to by the dev’s yet? I for one completely agree on upgrading the looks of our hobo sacks!

in Engineer

Posted by: The Pork Chop Xprss.3152

The Pork Chop Xprss.3152

I am obviously one of the few that think the “hobo sack” is pretty cool. I personally dress my asura engi in the most “hobo” style clothes as possible. We are an “adventurer class” we should have backpacks that look rugged and worn, not pink fluffy back packs that have no “wear” to them (no offense to those that do). Also, does no one else think its cool to throw grenades or wield a flamethrower from a “hobo sack”?

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I love it. I still sport my original pack just for that adventurer look.

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

These backpacks needs to go, I’ve seen this complaints for a long time. since the first weeks of launch!

Can’t they just remove it and use some other means of players monitoring our kits another way? Perhaps some thin belt with a grenade / a fire caution box / gear box / for toolkit etc on the side of the small belt
(small boxes)

I think someone mentioned fanny packs earlier. Thing is that a lot of the armor in this game have “skirts”, and they seriously interfere with having anything at the waist region.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

If i only could dye my hobo sack..

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in Engineer

Posted by: Raestloz.7134

Raestloz.7134

I’d rather have my Fervid Censer than a dyeable hobosack…

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

if not the option to hide them, than at least this yes.

You know what, going crazy here: how about BOTH?

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Dubh.6359

Dubh.6359

customizable kits would be swell

I deck my asura engy out to look all tron-like

and every single pack clashes like whoa

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

Meh, on second thought they can just as well shrink the current backpack models a bit and hitch them from the hip.

Or perhaps something like this:

keg: bomb.

cluster of canisters: grenades.

Current on the ground med kit model: med kit.

monkey wrench and crowbar: toolkit.

glass jar with purple liquid: elixir gun.

oval opaque tank: flamethrower.

(edited by digiowl.9620)

in Engineer

Posted by: Agrael.8512

Agrael.8512

1+ Hobo sacks are ugly, need more skins

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I would happily run a big icon next to my nameplate saying what kit I’m using, or an obvious buff or something like that. ANYTHING that would allow me to hide this ugly hobosack on my back when I try to run kits. I would play kits in a heartbeat if not for that…

in Engineer

Posted by: Copenhagen.7015

Copenhagen.7015

They should change the kit packs to look more visually appealing, and putting a “buff” on us that lets us know what kit we have on. Sort of how Elementalist attunements show up.

Flamethrower is good, Elixir gun needs some help..in multiple departments, Grenade Kit should give you an over shoulder grenade belt. Bomb Kit should be a back pack with the same model as Big Ol’ Bomb, Tool Kit I don’t have an idea for, but its the ugliest of all.

(edited by Copenhagen.7015)

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

I think engies should have some sort of steam-powered exoskeleton on their right arm.

After all, they are attacking people with wrenches and crowbars, dealing as much damage as a swordsman. AND they are using a wrench. That means they are fighting with sheer brute force.XD

Depends. On my tiny Charr, equipping the wrench REALLY looks like he’s going to bash your face in with no care if you’re some Norn greatsword Warrior.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shadowtech.5071

Shadowtech.5071

Unique race specific turrets would be nice. Plant-like hobo sacks on a Sylvari or holographic looking ones on a Asura. Yes plz.

Catastraseed – Guardian / Keytuura – Engineer
[GoA] Guardians of Äsgard
Maguuma

in Engineer

Posted by: Herosandwich.6203

Herosandwich.6203

never leave home without your hobosack. in fact I wish there was a way my shield WOULDN’T cover it up.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Raestloz.7134

You know, sometimes, thanks to my rig’s crappy specs, the hobosack art would take its time to load after I encounter a loadscreen, i’s a few precious seconds of seeing my engi in her attire.

Gem-bought attire, I might add.

in Engineer

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

I have the krytan set from teh gemstore, the “hobosack” looks great on it. fully fits the theme, I like it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Specterryu Quipter.8412

Specterryu Quipter.8412

I have the krytan set from teh gemstore, the “hobosack” looks great on it. fully fits the theme, I like it.

Regardless, it should still have a toggle to show it or not.

@ the rest, we don’t need anything to indicate what kit we’re in. All that is is catering to the bad players, if they can’t recognize what kit we’re currently using, that’s on them, not on us.

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

(edited by Specterryu Quipter.8412)

in Engineer

Posted by: sistox.9624

sistox.9624

Nice topic ! xD
And I do aggree with your point, even tho on my little asura engi it doesn’t show much
And I actually not dislike the hobosacks that bad on him :P

in Engineer

Tolmos.8395

@ the rest, we don’t need anything to indicate what kit we’re in. All that is is catering to the bad players, if they can’t recognize what kit we’re currently using, that’s on them, not on us.

While I do agree with you entirely, if that is the argument that is holding us up and Anet agrees with that argument, then I’d like to offer suggestions for alternatives (such as a visible buff that shows which kit we are in, or an icon by our nameplate).

I don’t know that Anet agrees with that argument or not, but I just don’t want them to look at it as “these ugly hobosacks are the only way to show which kit they are in. they are necessary.”

in Engineer

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

guardians cant choose to show aegis or not. its a tell that shows your weapon set.

Just the way it it. I personally like it, and dont see why it shoudl be turned off, and can see issues with it being optional, not least of which is I want Anet concentrating all their resources on fixing actually important issues.

in Engineer

Posted by: Erdem.8956

Erdem.8956

As OP pointed out; this game is based on cosmetics mostly. Even end-game is based on cosmetics. Dungeon armors serves only to provide skins. People spend hours and hours on cosmetics, buying RNG boxes for hundred of dollars just to get few new skins. Works months to get their shiny legendary weapons…which are basicly just cool skins.

And just by choosing engineer class you miss out on a lot of game content. You can’t show off with your legendary weapon like other classes since you won’t be using it half of the fight. Because of hobo sacks you can’t show your back items and sometimes even shields. So basicly you miss out end-game (Legendary? What’s the point right?) and the fun of showing off with your cool looking toon. And that’s important for lots of people… You can see that just by looking RNG box madness.

Some people might like having hobo sacks while using kits. So getting rid off them completely is out of the question. But ANet should at least give us a toggle to hide or show hobo sacks. Because some people clearly doesn’t like them. (I can live without getting a legendary for my engineer though… Since I love using kits.)

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

You know, sometimes, thanks to my rig’s crappy specs, the hobosack art would take its time to load after I encounter a loadscreen, i’s a few precious seconds of seeing my engi in her attire.

Gem-bought attire, I might add.

That is one thing i can’t get about the game engine. Why oh why does it have to reload every last model and sound every time i travel between zones?!

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

Even more so as a “good” engineer apparently only stays in a individual kit for however long it takes to get of the big hitters.

in Engineer

Posted by: NickDollahZ.5348

NickDollahZ.5348

Cant wait for the hobo sack to make the wings like kittened. >_>

in Engineer

Posted by: Tsarbomba.9180

Tsarbomba.9180

The thing I like about the hobbo sack is that I am never going to buy a back item from the gem store seeing as to how it is a waste of money and when they release seasonal back items that you have to work a little hard for, I take my time getting it if I even intend to bother knowing that it will be useless. Add in the fact that I will never bother even attempting to get a legendary because as an engineer we have the lovely quip (silliest thing I have ever seen closely followed by that disco ball legendary) and the predator and the flame…yeah, the shield :P…and I will never see them because once again, I’m always in sack mode, so the sack actually save me from a ton of stuff, but if I could just change the colour of that little faded strip of cloth, oh my goodness, lol…who picked that colour anyway?

in Engineer

Raestloz.7134

I really think that the weapons themselves are already enough.

Seriously:
Grenade Kit – Grenades
Med Kit – Bandage packs
Flamethrower – kitten rifle with flames on it
Elixir Gun – kitten rifle with toxin tubes
Tool kit – Wrench

Do people REALLY need an entire hobosack just to determine what an engineer is carrying? Because frankly, enemies can’t see your back when you’re not running away (that is, actively engage the enemy and is something to worry about).

Kits are designed to clearly show you what you’re wearing, which is all fine and dandy, lest you think you’re wearing a Med Kit instead of Flmaethrower. The problem with this is the fact that the skill bar already tells you what you’re having, so it’s redundant at best, and a terrible fashion sense at worst

in Engineer

Posted by: Tsarbomba.9180

Tsarbomba.9180

Seriously:
Grenade Kit – Grenades
Med Kit – Bandage packs
Tool kit – Wrench

Do people REALLY need an entire hobosack just to determine what an engineer is carrying? Because frankly, enemies can’t see your back when you’re not running away (that is, actively engage the enemy and is something to worry about).

Kits are designed to clearly show you what you’re wearing, which is all fine and dandy, lest you think you’re wearing a Med Kit instead of Flmaethrower. The problem with this is the fact that the skill bar already tells you what you’re having, so it’s redundant at best, and a terrible fashion sense at worst

I watched the video of that guy that sneaked into the enemy base as an asura engineer. Basically he was so tiny, they couldn’t even see him, let alone what kit he was using. This argument could probably work on a Norn, but it falls flat once your character starts shrinking.

in Engineer

Posted by: AielloA.1629

AielloA.1629

I agree: hobosacks kinda fit with the whole “rugged adventurer” look that SOME Charr or Human Engineers have going on. Sylvari, whose clothes are made of plants? Asura, with their Tron lines and random hovering baubles? Norn, with their ornate knotwork?

DO NOT WANT HOBOSACKS. There has to be some way of getting rid of the hobosacks, ANet, please. I love using kits (carpal tunnel aside, the ‘nade kit IS a lot of fun) but I hate having to watch my character’s painstakingly chosen look get completely ruined by a Big, Stained Sack of Blobiness +1 whenever I take out my medkit or my ’nades or my flamer.

If people have trouble figuring out what kit an Engi is using, then they are utter kittens. Is a gout of flame rushing through their blob? Flamethrower. Are small explosions turning their zerg into an impromptu fireworks display? Grenades. Are bubbles of strangely-colored liquids splashing everywhere? Elixir Gun. Are barrels appearing from nowhere and exploding with the force of a speeding nerfbat? Bombs. The skill animations for each kit are distinctive enough that there is really no purpose to having the hobosacks in order to “tell what kit the engineer is using.” Honestly, since all hobosacks look mostly the same, it doesn’t even help!

TL;DR – Hobosacks need to go, people need to learn what engi skills look like if that’s the complaint.

“We fight because we can. We win because we must.”

in Engineer

Tolmos.8395

I agree: hobosacks kinda fit with the whole “rugged adventurer” look that SOME Charr or Human Engineers have going on. Sylvari, whose clothes are made of plants? Asura, with their Tron lines and random hovering baubles? Norn, with their ornate knotwork?

DO NOT WANT HOBOSACKS. There has to be some way of getting rid of the hobosacks, ANet, please. I love using kits (carpal tunnel aside, the ‘nade kit IS a lot of fun) but I hate having to watch my character’s painstakingly chosen look get completely ruined by a Big, Stained Sack of Blobiness +1 whenever I take out my medkit or my ’nades or my flamer.

If people have trouble figuring out what kit an Engi is using, then they are utter kittens. Is a gout of flame rushing through their blob? Flamethrower. Are small explosions turning their zerg into an impromptu fireworks display? Grenades. Are bubbles of strangely-colored liquids splashing everywhere? Elixir Gun. Are barrels appearing from nowhere and exploding with the force of a speeding nerfbat? Bombs. The skill animations for each kit are distinctive enough that there is really no purpose to having the hobosacks in order to “tell what kit the engineer is using.” Honestly, since all hobosacks look mostly the same, it doesn’t even help!

TL;DR – Hobosacks need to go, people need to learn what engi skills look like if that’s the complaint.

Heh, yea… the argument of “we need to see the backpacks to know what they are using!” always made me chuckle. All I could imagine was some warrior watching an engineer running around setting everything on fire with huge waves of flames going “Duuurrr…. is that a ‘nade kit? What’s the backpack look like… OH! I must be the flamethrower! I know how to beat you, now! HAHAHA” =D

in Engineer

Posted by: Agrael.8512

Agrael.8512

Seriously Anet ?

Attachments:

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Heh, yea… the argument of “we need to see the backpacks to know what they are using!” always made me chuckle. All I could imagine was some warrior watching an engineer running around setting everything on fire with huge waves of flames going “Duuurrr…. is that a ‘nade kit? What’s the backpack look like… OH! I must be the flamethrower! I know how to beat you, now! HAHAHA” =D

kit swaps have no CD and a lot of traits encourage engis to kit swap. without packs, you need to wait till they attack and then hope they stay in the same kit. With the pack, you can be ready upon the kit swap.

in Engineer

Posted by: Erdem.8956

Erdem.8956

Yes sure, because every other profession has giant backpacks for people to understand what weapon set they are using right? Right? Wrong.

If people have trouble figuring out what kit an Engi is using, then they are utter kittens.

in Engineer

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

kit swaps have no CD and a lot of traits encourage engis to kit swap. without packs, you need to wait till they attack and then hope they stay in the same kit. With the pack, you can be ready upon the kit swap.

that ONLY holds for med, bomb and grenade kit. All the others have as visible a weapon as the other classes. I’ve also never met anyone who was able to ID the kit used in battle by the kit before the engie used a skill. Goodness knows I can’t, especially if they are facing towards me, are Asura, have any kind of z-axis advantage, are in the grass/trees, are part of a zerg, are partially behind a wall, or it’s night time.

In other words… ever

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

The player who can identify the unarmed kit used by the hobosack given the previously noted limitations (facing, size, z-axis, culling, obstruction of view) can propably guess that the engineer will NOT use bomb kit instead of grenades when he is not in melee range, atop the wall or in any strategic situation that would favor grenades over bombs. Similarly the med kit.

Also, many kit use strategies are greatly effected by traits which are NOT visibly represented.

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Yes sure, because every other profession has giant backpacks for people to understand what weapon set they are using right? Right? Wrong.

If people have trouble figuring out what kit an Engi is using, then they are utter kittens.

to understand what weapon set they are using right

what weapon set they are using

what weapon they are using

weapon …. using

Think about it.

that ONLY holds for med, bomb and grenade kit. All the others have as visible a weapon as the other classes. I’ve also never met anyone who was able to ID the kit used in battle by the kit before the engie used a skill. Goodness knows I can’t, especially if they are facing towards me, are Asura, have any kind of z-axis advantage, are in the grass/trees, are part of a zerg, are partially behind a wall, or it’s night time.

In other words… ever

meanwhile, no other profession needs any of this.

Also, many kit use strategies are greatly effected by traits which are NOT visibly represented.

Not by any profession. Why is the equality a problem here?

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Not by any profession. Why is the equality a problem here?

I was actually trying to point out that even with the sacks being shown and even the opponent recognising the specific kit of any given (unarmed) sack, he can still be surprised/not know exactly what to expect of the engineer. Meaning that whatever meager excuse there is to keep the sacks “to help opponents see what the engineer is about to do” is rendered meaningless by the traits that effect those kits in a way that wont show until a skill of the kit is used, by what time the opponent should be able to recognise the kit by the actual skill that was used.

in Engineer

Posted by: NickDollahZ.5348

NickDollahZ.5348

The idea that hobosacks are needed to help the enemy know what kit you are in is the weakest argument Ive seen on these forums.

Hobosack visibility is greatly reduced with any sort of range especially when the engineer is looking toward you. This is quite apparent on Asura and Norn.

The Bomb kit and toolkit have the same sack.

You are more likely to recognize the kit they are in by the weapon they are carrying more then the sack on their backside. Even more likely by the distinct skill animations.

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

I was actually trying to point out that even with the sacks being shown and even the opponent recognising the specific kit of any given (unarmed) sack, he can still be surprised/not know exactly what to expect of the engineer. Meaning that whatever meager excuse there is to keep the sacks “to help opponents see what the engineer is about to do” is rendered meaningless by the traits that effect those kits in a way that wont show until a skill of the kit is used, by what time the opponent should be able to recognise the kit by the actual skill that was used.

I understand this. The problem is that this is true for all the proffessions. But seeing what type of weapon any other profession is using atleast gives you a clue as to what type of attacks will be coming. Hobo sacks provide the same not-overly-specific clue. As far as the weapon that goes with the hobo sack, I’d put them hand in hand. The flame thrower goes with the flamethrower pack. It is more interesting and makes more sense, IMO.. This is why I’m in favor of the sacks with their respective weapons.

The only thing i’d change is to create a few styles of hobo sacks so that they represent your chosen personality. right now the flame thrower looks too stylized to be charr. It looks more human IMO. I know that all engineers use charr tech in the profession but each would have their own style to it.

in Engineer

Raestloz.7134

Seriously:
Grenade Kit – Grenades
Med Kit – Bandage packs
Tool kit – Wrench

I watched the video of that guy that sneaked into the enemy base as an asura engineer. Basically he was so tiny, they couldn’t even see him, let alone what kit he was using. This argument could probably work on a Norn, but it falls flat once your character starts shrinking.

You’re actually supporting my argument, in case you’re wondering.
Norn: Nords are so big, they don’t need backpacks to show what they’re wearing. This would include Charrs as well
Asura: Asuras are so small, whatever they’re wearing isn’t easily visible, rendering any attempt of using backpacks as identification pointless

Human and Sylvari?

The idea that hobosacks are needed to help the enemy know what kit you are in is the weakest argument Ive seen on these forums.

Hobosack visibility is greatly reduced with any sort of range especially when the engineer is looking toward you. This is quite apparent on Asura and Norn.

The Bomb kit and toolkit have the same sack.

You are more likely to recognize the kit they are in by the weapon they are carrying more then the sack on their backside. Even more likely by the distinct skill animations.

When the engineer is facing towards you, you essentially cannot see anything, if at all.

Can you see what element an elementalist is attuned in when you see them from afar without clicking on them to check the status?

Right.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

No response to one of the biggest fashion faux pas yet huh? I would have thought a dev would have posted a “we’re aware of it and working on it, thanks” post by now.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Specterryu Quipter.8412

No response to one of the biggest fashion faux pas yet huh? I would have thought a dev would have posted a “we’re aware of it and working on it, thanks” post by now.

It may have been on guru/reddit, but as I recall an anet dev did respond.

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

As a Sylvari of the Grove, my armor fuses nature with science!

And yet, the beautiful biological masterpiece science had created, the Fervid Censur, becomes hidden when I use my Elixir Gun? :’(

I still think they should have unique guns for each race, but shrug

in Engineer

Posted by: Sold Out.7625

Sold Out.7625

I still think they should have unique guns for each race, but shrug

While this would be amazing on the long run, allowing us to toggle the backpacks would be a nice-enough start. Especially for the kits with less bloaty weapons.

Leader of the Free Winds – RP, community, and all kinds of fun.
Jara Ariasdottir (Soon all classes proper!)

(edited by Sold Out.7625)

in Engineer

Posted by: Wiseman.4075

Wiseman.4075

Yes Yes Yes Please!

As a high tech Asuran, with futuristic T3 cultural gear with the hopes of a fractal fusion device on my back, I am so happy too look like an Asuran Gate Techy. Then, I get so disappointed when I swap to a kit and I suddenly look like a 1900’s Army Soldier. :’(

I would love to at least be able to toggle kit pack on/off or change color or upgrade them. I would also pay real money for this since this is my favorite character and favorite class but can not stand the hobo pack it comes with!

in Engineer

Specterryu Quipter.8412

Yes Yes Yes Please!

As a high tech Asuran, with futuristic T3 cultural gear with the hopes of a fractal fusion device on my back, I am so happy too look like an Asuran Gate Techy. Then, I get so disappointed when I swap to a kit and I suddenly look like a 1900’s Army Soldier. :’(

I would love to at least be able to toggle kit pack on/off or change color or upgrade them. I would also pay real money for this since this is my favorite character and favorite class but can not stand the hobo pack it comes with!

No, you should not have to pay real money to change the hobo sac. Especially since the hobo sac is a core item with our class and adding more hobo sac skins, or a toggle, should have been thought of when the game was in beta.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

in Engineer

Wiseman.4075

Yes Yes Yes Please!

No, you should not have to pay real money to change the hobo sac. Especially since the hobo sac is a core item with our class and adding more hobo sac skins, or a toggle, should have been thought of when the game was in beta.

I completely agree that we shouldn’t have to pay real money that this should have already been thought of and dealt with long ago.

However,

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$ $$
$$ I’m just trying to get Anet’s attention about how great this idea is! $$
$$ $$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

in Engineer

Wiseman.4075

Really more than anything the hobo pack needs to toggle on/off. For those that put a lot of their time and effort into earning a Jet pack or fractal capacitor back piece but cannot display it due to flamethrower or other kits really sucks. All other classes can constantly show that effort and uniqueness but only the engineer is stuck looking like any other engineer when in a kit.

My argument is purely on the cosmetic side and I dont think this change makes any difference on making us hide our class in WvW or PvP. Not really sure the pack makes any difference for that.