Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I wish they would make Engineers useful in game, so that more people would play them, and then they’d get basic fixes like this.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shimdroid.2765

Shimdroid.2765

Engineers are already useful in game, maybe you can’t speedrun CoF in 7 mins with them, but not all game revolves around CoF farming.

in Engineer

Posted by: BillFreist

BillFreist

Gameplay Programmer

Next

Some pretty interesting ideas here. I was actually spit-balling some ideas on how to address this today. This has always been something that has bothered me, too.

For example:

• Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit. Obviously this makes it a little harder than usual to tell what kit you are using, so:
    • A nameplate icon similar to Elemental Attunements would be a good addition (I may add this regardless if we can get the art )
    • Move the kit somewhere else on your body. I know, crazy right? For example, who doesn’t like a sweet fanny-pack?

Hopefully this finally gets resolved soon, and I’ll do what I can to see that happen. Keep in mind, as Colin mentioned before, that there are some pretty beefy projects going on that are consuming our engineering time. But that doesn’t exactly mean we can’t sneak stuff in here and there .

-Bill

in Engineer

Posted by: isendel.5049

isendel.5049

+1, total support to this thread!

Another step to the improvement of the engineer is to differentiate among races. The actual backpack kits doesn’t feel right on asuras, for example..they are rude, not enough lights and tech stuff

in Engineer

Posted by: Macros.6120

Macros.6120

• Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit.

A good start, but I’d want a way to hide all back items, not be forced to use either kits or back items.

Since my earlier idea thread got no replies, I shall shamelessly link it here and now, and hope my violation of forum manners comes across as roguish and affable, rather than seedy and desperate.

In short: add a new item slot – the Cosmetic Back Slot. Its magical powers could determine the fate of Tyria.

Beyond The Wall [Crow]
Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: derekgrant.6504

derekgrant.6504

Some pretty interesting ideas here. I was actually spit-balling some ideas on how to address this today. This has always been something that has bothered me, too.

For example:

• Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit. Obviously this makes it a little harder than usual to tell what kit you are using, so:
    • A nameplate icon similar to Elemental Attunements would be a good addition (I may add this regardless if we can get the art )
    • Move the kit somewhere else on your body. I know, crazy right? For example, who doesn’t like a sweet fanny-pack?

Hopefully this finally gets resolved soon, and I’ll do what I can to see that happen. Keep in mind, as Colin mentioned before, that there are some pretty beefy projects going on that are consuming our engineering time. But that doesn’t exactly mean we can’t sneak stuff in here and there .

-Bill

Fanny pack please. As a child who grew up with a peanut allergy I was rocking them all the time during school trips as it held my medication.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

For example:

-Bill

Don’t move the kit off the back. I happen to be one of the Engineers that likes the hobosacks. And as long as the kits are all unique there’s no need for an attunement icon like Elementalist. I forgot to look, but are Bomb Kit and Toolkit still the same graphic?

However, IF (and that’s a big if) kits can be hidden in the future an attunement-like icon will be necessary.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I could settle for the compromise of hding either backpack or kit bag.
Of course that always shows something, but that’s why it would be a compromise.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

• Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit.

A good start, but I’d want a way to hide all back items, not be forced to use either kits or back items.

Since my earlier idea thread got no replies, I shall shamelessly link it here and now, and hope my violation of forum manners comes across as roguish and affable, rather than seedy and desperate.

In short: add a new item slot – the Cosmetic Back Slot. Its magical powers could determine the fate of Tyria.

Wouldn’t just a “Back Brace/Spineguard” item take care of not seeing either a back item or hobo sack? No visible back skin by default and if its checked for visual, no hobo sacks?

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I find it ironic that the zephyr sanctum pack is popular amongst, especially, non-engineers! The first time I saw it, a ranger was sporting it and I had to do a double-take because I thought he was an engineer. Some people like the hobosack look and skins like the zephyr sanctum sack would still meet that look.

It would not make sense to me if like the flamethrower or elixir gun were a fanny pack. There’s no reason why such kit backpacks have to look like a hobosack. A proton pack does not look like a hobosack.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in Engineer

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

For example:

-Bill

The fanny pack idea is BOSS some could be leg/arm packs

Just thinking of having fuel tanks strapped to my arms is cool lol

in Engineer

Posted by: Ederyn.3107

Ederyn.3107

For example:

-Bill

Ohhh really really thx bill !!

now if you have nothing to do can you please fix the 8/10 bugs that affects the Enginner’s turrets , their rate of fire and their overcharge abilities?

Take your time no worries….we are waiting for this fix since launch..

in Engineer

Posted by: Rhomulos.2089

Rhomulos.2089

For example:

-Bill

I sure hope you can work in a specific hobo sack model for Predator users

I’ve had plenty of ideas for kit specific, or a universal Predator hobo sack that replaces them all. Would be awesome to finally see Predator themed kits so I can enjoy pew pew and little orange plasma-filled tubes all day long no matter how I trait!

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer
Rhomulos Prime – Revenant

in Engineer

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

For example:

-Bill

An awesome idea that came up in another thread was to remove the packs all together, and allow people to use packs as regular back items if they want them (like the starter one), and instead add an item to one of the Engineer’s hands while the kit is active, like the wrench from the Toolkit. The character icon would be nice as well.
You could also then make the weapon sheathed while the kit is active so it can still be seen.
Do you really need new art for the icon though? Just re-use the skill bar icon.

And thanks for replying! Thank God this is still getting attention.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

in Engineer

Posted by: Curring.9752

Curring.9752

What I never understood is that the toolkits offered some very unique creativity yet you decided on “hobo sacks”, if I was in the art department I would have gone wild with the engineer! I have so many ideas for each tool kit and I’m sure everyone else does too.

I think you should run a concept art competition but make it so there is only one entry per person and have the community vote on which is their most favourite and have it implemented in game, just an idea.

In the greater blob of things, there is only the zerg.
Kittens, Kittens everywhere!

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

For example:

-Bill

Holy crap… a game dev has used some of my suggestions =D

I would happily run a big icon next to my nameplate saying what kit I’m using, or an obvious buff or something like that. ANYTHING that would allow me to hide this ugly hobosack on my back when I try to run kits. I would play kits in a heartbeat if not for that…

and

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Engineer-kits-respect-the-hide-back-option/first#post2056323

Wooooooo!

=D I feel special lol

Shush. Give me my 5 minutes of self-proclaimed glory.

(edited by Tolmos.8395)

in Engineer

Posted by: bambimeetslead.4567

bambimeetslead.4567

YES!!! I totally agree I just finished posting something similar in suggestions. We work hard for nice gear and expensive dyes and got these “hobo sacks” on our backs, looks like something MacGyver made in 2 minutes lol I want something epic to match my character.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in Engineer

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

For example:

And what about that bug that has been around since beta that makes our kits clip through our back skins?

Wow, that is a fantastic idea. But it sounds a little familiar….

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Replace-engineer-backpacks-with-belt-backs/first#post2256978

You guys don’t actually read the engineer forums very much do you?

in Engineer

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

+1 for this thread also!

Touching on what BillFreist said. I think the best solution is to have a method something like the Elementalist.

Each time a Elementalist switches attunements, besides getting the nameplate icon…..they also get a bit of a “effect” relating to the attunement they switched to.

This helps with 2 things. 1)Telling the player who is playing the Ele that they successfully switched attunements. 2) Telling enemy players that Ele switched attunements.

So the Engineer could also have a “effect” happen whenever he/she switches kits. If we don’t have that, then it would be impossible to tell if the switch was successful until after using the skill you intended or if you look at your skill bar (which you shouldn’t be).

The reason I think this is the best solution is because, as stated many times above, there is such a small window of opportunity for the enemy player to actually look at the hobosack type to tell what kit they are in. Players most of the time tell what kit the engineer is using by what skills he/she is using, by the weapon they are holding, and by what the situation would necessitate the engineer to use.

DOWN WITH THE HOBO SACKS!

On a side note, also make them toggle-able for those who like it.

and also….pls no fanny packs….seriously…

in Engineer

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

Wait wait wait a dev in the Engineer forums?

Somethings not right…there’s a glitch in the matrix…

But in all seriousness, being back slot item friendly with a little UI icon saying which kit we’re using is perfect, dare I say god!#$%ed poetry in motion.

OR

Reskin all the hobosacks based on our backslot item. Having a Super Adventure Box flamethrower would be EPIC.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

in Engineer

Posted by: Macros.6120

Macros.6120

Wouldn’t just a “Back Brace/Spineguard” item take care of not seeing either a back item or hobo sack? No visible back skin by default and if its checked for visual, no hobo sacks?

Yeah, but then I’d have to transmute every back piece I own with a spineguard. And some of them are rare skins that – even though I never see them – I wouldn’t want to permanently destroy.

A Cosmetic Back Slot would allow everyone to use the back item of their choice without permanently destroying rare skins. And if you want to use a particular skin all the time, you don’t need to acquire multiple copies of it if you happen to use multiple builds.

It would mimic the functionality every other profession gets with the normal back slot, but preserve the way kits currently work. Just in case anyone actually likes them.

Beyond The Wall [Crow]
Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: itamar.4690

itamar.4690

i cant even bother trying to look nice on my engi as its impossible beside getting the armor right the backpiece and the weapons are invisible :X

in Engineer

Posted by: lockheedlight.5910

lockheedlight.5910

I support this idea. I would much rather have the icons and be able to keep my normal back piece on at all times instead of having the hobo sacks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hrugner.1346

Hrugner.1346

That quaggan backpack would be a lot cuter if it were holding a grenade.

in Engineer

Posted by: Wiseman.4075

Wiseman.4075

For example:

-Bill

I think moving the kit somewhere else on the body is a great idea! Today I was thinking it would be cool if instead of a “kit” we as engineers would apply “mods” to the weapon we are holding. So pack is optional, we get an attunement sign on our name plate and the weapon we are holding has a “mod” on it based on what kit we are in.

Grenade Launcher Mod, Elixir Mod, Flamethrower Mod…maybe just a different type of cartridge sticking on the rifle or pistol.

Seems like a fair enough idea.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Grenade launcher is a good idea.

And why not just make them look like a different weapon. If they need to be more obvious for PvP then surely they can do that with the look of the weapon – its works for every one else, after all.

in Engineer

Posted by: itamar.4690

itamar.4690

Maybe we should get an icon just like ELE’s get in diffrent attuments.

in Engineer

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

Regarding the gun kits, you could easily get rid of the backpacks there since the weapon itself is being held.

- Flamethrower – add two barrels of fuel attached to the waistline where one would normally carry one-handed weapons.
- Elixir Gun – gun can be standalone
- Tool Kit – character holds wrench in hand
- Bomb Kit – character holds a bomb belt with visible bombs in left hand. Can flap about when moving, but ideally should have more heavy gravity affecting it to hang downwards. Add additional bomb belt to waist.
- Grenade Kit – can be same as above, but loop the belt and make it float a bit more. Add additional grenade belt to waist.
- Med Kit – carry first aid box in left hand by a handle.

That is actually a remarkably succinct idea… Just add an object that you carry in one of your hands, just like the Toolkit, instead of a pack. Remove the pack from the kits that already have a hand-held object attached.
If people want a hobo kit, just get it as a regular back piece. There are at least a couple, and they could turn the kit packs into regular back piece items as well.
Then you could solve the Legendary issue by making it sheathed while the kit is active.

Also, I could have sworn this used to be larger than a mere 4 pages.

As a visual cue, take a look at this picture from “Attack on Titan”. Basically have your equipment stuff for each kit hanging off the belt where you would normally carry one handed weapons. Since there is no “sheath weapons” options for weapon kits, that room is basically free for anything! And then put in the backpack options so if engineers insist, they can fully load out their characters with alternating backpacks and the belt equipment whenever they switch weapon kits, or if they want, remove backpack options on weapon kits so they can always show off their quaggan backpack or whatever regardless of weapon kit swapping.

However, like usual, this involves work on the side, haha.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

However, like usual, this involves work on the side, haha.

Anything done for the engineer that involves work pretty much assures that Arena Net won’t bother with it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Anything done for the engineer that involves work pretty much assures that Arena Net won’t bother with it.

And what about the change to Rocket Boots?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Wiseman.4075

Wiseman.4075

What about the Weapon Mods that I was talking about instead of kits. The new armor kinda show what I’m thinking. Instead of a kit on back it would be a change to the weapon ammunition area or something. Or like in this picture it could be an attachment to the arm. I did like the Belt option too.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: TxJBxT.9370

TxJBxT.9370

I actually like the backpacks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Babs.8620

Babs.8620

+1 to this thread any of the ideas mentioned here are better than the Hobo Sacks we’re presented with when using some kits.

Matching style to backpiece,
Option to disable the visual
Having an icon on the back that represents the kit
Quaggan’s holding items from the kit you’re using
ANYTHING WOULD BE BETTER THAN BEING IN MAGITECH ARMOUR WITH A HOBO SACK!

in Engineer

Posted by: Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

I sware to god, if my engi is given a fanny pack, I will swan dive off of the bridge in east keep (hills).

DH Yak’s Bend – Perfect Dark [PD]
Dr Hoppenheimer – Engi / Meowzir – Guard /
Mulcibur Nox – Ele / Mr Directed – Mes

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

So many patches have come, and gone, since this post first hit the forums… and yet hobos we remain.

:(

in Engineer

Posted by: Maroah.8607

Maroah.8607

Please!

At least before you’ve come up with a system that would replace the hobo sacks, just make it possible to not show them.
I think that alone would solve a lot!

I have a sylvari female engineer I would like to level up, but every time I take a look at her I remember that the hobo sacks will just cover up all of the gear.
What’s the point of making your engineer look “pretty” if a huge sack of garbage will just ruin everything else?

in Engineer

Posted by: Um Abbas.5693

Um Abbas.5693

Please!

At least before you’ve come up with a system that would replace the hobo sacks, just make it possible to not show them.
I think that alone would solve a lot!

I have a sylvari female engineer I would like to level up, but every time I take a look at her I remember that the hobo sacks will just cover up all of the gear.
What’s the point of making your engineer look “pretty” if a huge sack of garbage will just ruin everything else?

Roll Asura, our backpacks a tiny weeny. :P

Midget Gadget * Branch of Wood
Aurora Glade ~ Army of Forgotten Souls miniguild [AoFS]
http://umabbas.net/

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I may be the only one who thinks that having the bags on other parts ofthe body would be a bad idea. Do i have to spell CLIPPING ISSUES out?

The various medium armors on 5 different races. The bags are on the back because that is the least mobile/least clipping part of the entire model. How are they going to make belts and armpacks and such without clipping all over the existing armor? Dont even get me started on legpacks, while 90% of the medium torso armor are coats.

Having the kit bags on any other part of the body would just be a big mess. Just give the option to get rid of them, please.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tutankhamun.3679

Tutankhamun.3679

The simple solution would be to have a toggle in our utility skill page that enables hiding kit backpacks. There would be no issue with clipping or issues with people who actually like the kit backpacks. I’m pretty sure that won’t be hard to code or require much redesign. No special icons need to be made to tell us or other people which kit we are using. You know because you should know your skills and others should know because they should know what other classes weapons look like and how they perform.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

Every time I look at my hobosack, I feel tempted to mail ArenaNet a sailor’s sea-bag full of potatoes.

I mean, I get that the reason why hobosacks exist is because of PvP but I think most engineer weapons can be identified without the visibility of a kit. For instance…

Tool Kit: Wrench on main hand. Sometimes, a gear or magnet on the other hand. Main attack is mostly melee, but has a magnet to pull you close. Sometimes, they may be near turrets since their #1 ability can heal them.

Grenades: Usually nothing in both hands but chances are that the engineer will be at mid or far range chucking grenades at you so that can easily be seen from a distance before they get into your face.

Bomb Kit: Usually nothing in both hands, however they would have to be in melee range to do meaningful damage to you. Often times, they’re usually bunkering or supporting their group using the heals from their explosions.

Flamethrower and Elixir Gun are obvious enough that having a backpack on is a bit overkill.

In sPvP, I find myself using the Zephyr Rucksack since it’s big enough to overlap my kit but enemy players can still identify what kind of kit I’m using.

But if you guys are really hell-bent in keeping the hobosacks, I think these sacks should at least adopt visual characteristics of whatever back piece we’re wearing. Smaller back pieces could simply be tacked on, while larger backpieces (especially ones that look like backpacks themselves) could change the theme of our sacks. Alternatively, you can put the sack on our chest or limbs. The arms could work with minimal clipping issues. Legs might be tricky since almost all our armor are coats. The chest could make sense but it might make us look like we’re wearing kevlars vests which could potentially shift the problem to another part of our body instead of getting rid of it.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

just an option:

show kit backpack:
toggle on/ toggle of

That’s all, nothing more, nothing less.
Nothing fancy, nothing to upset people who like the backpacks, just a toggle for those who don’t.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Since this has been bumped recently, I’ll also add my +1 to just toggling off the Kit for now.

My Sylvari engineer recently moved to T2 cultural armor (mostly to get away from the ‘trenchcoat’ look most Medium armors have), and its made this problem even more jarring than before.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

The reign of the hobosack continues. Figured I’d spare you folk the trouble of digging through the patchnotes.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

show kit backpack: toggle on/ toggle of (does not apply to PvP)

That should do it.
We still won’t see legendaries when we are in a kit, but that’s the next step.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I’m not sure if you’re saying it’s something that’s in the game already, or if it’s something they should do. Can’t find it, myself, so I’m inclined to think the latter.

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I suppose we will get this option the day we get a profession update similar to what the necro got, some years from now. I would pass a tool belt skill for our elite skill if the other option was to hide freaking hobosacks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Plague.5046

Plague.5046

show kit backpack: toggle on/ toggle of (does not apply to PvP)

That should do it.
We still won’t see legendaries when we are in a kit, but that’s the next step.

I still don’t understand the argument people use when they say things like, “oh, I won’t know what abilities you have if I see you wearing a giant ugly backpack with extremely minor differences between kits rather than a notifier like attunements.”

If ANet comes out with that being their official statement as to why they don’t want to make this a universal toggle, then I want elementalists to have to have giant, gaudy, party-cool riddden crystals attached to their back to signify their attunement, because I can’t look at their buff indicators.

Yeah I am a little salty that we’ve been asking for this since launch and still nothing except a single response saying, “sorry, but other stuff is more important”.

Sure were fast to revert the changes that they said they were going to make to begin with. As long as it makes the class appealing they can change it back within a day. Sucks for any engineer that actually has an ascended/legendary weapon, doesn’t do anything for you with most of the viable builds being very kit-centric, which, to add insult to injury, makes you feel like you never have it equipped in the first place, anyway. I’d pull all the mats to make a legendary out of the bank that I have sitting there to make the quip if it meant I could have confetti grenades.

in Engineer

Posted by: Fikston.5296

Fikston.5296

If ANet comes out with that being their official statement as to why they don’t want to make this a universal toggle, then I want elementalists to have to have giant, gaudy, party-cool riddden crystals attached to their back to signify their attunement, because I can’t look at their buff indicators.

Hah.

Hope you’re working on this in any case, Anet. The giant piece of brown on our backs is the worst part of being an engineer by far.

in Engineer

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

We want the option to hide it! even reskin it with another pack would be a 100% improvement.

We are counting on you Bill <3!