Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Has this issue been listed in this month’s bugs-forum list of character art bugs?

It needs to be there EVERY MONTH until it’s fixed, and that’s really the only place you can be confident the character art Devs will see anything…

If I have a set of wings, or a book, or a fractal capacitor, having it replaced by the hobosack counts as a bug.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Engineer

Posted by: Witaminka.4650

Witaminka.4650

any news, nope, still nothing

GW1 – 4,100+ / GW2 – 10,300+ hours played
server jumper

in Engineer

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

bump

tie it to ‘show back armor’ if that’s what it takes…

Ele / Guardian

in Engineer

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

Also,

It would be nice to change the color of all hobo sacks and guild packs.

I like brown, dont get me wrong, but when I am trudging through the snowy lands, I seem to be a dead give away to the local denizens even with my snowsuit on.

Why cant my hobo bag be a similar shade if not a shade I want it to be.

Afterall, it fabric, we can stain metals, but ny brown hobo sack comes with a stain proofing whatchamagizmo.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ikaros.5730

Ikaros.5730

to be able to dye the hobo sack would be nice so that it matched my sexyness, or maybe get ride of packs and give us something that went around the waist?

in Engineer

Posted by: Maiden England.3491

Maiden England.3491

I remember when this post was started 9 months ago. why are we still posting here?

Street Regulator

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Because Anet has other kitten to do besides make sure 10% of all characters created aren’t burdened by hideous sacks. Rather bewildering that they’ve taken so long to do anything about it, really, considering that they seem to respond to most of our issues by having the interns throw something together.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nime.2089

Nime.2089

I remember when this post was started 9 months ago. why are we still posting here?

To keep it on the first page. Maybe they will get annoyed by us and just add a toggle on/off.

in Engineer

Posted by: VictorySmoke.2480

VictorySmoke.2480

More far reaching wish list type stuff:
-I know it would be very ENGI specific but why not release skins for kits that are better (gem store)? There could be more than just Engi specific stuff, like maybe if a Guard wanted a different looking Aegis. I think alot of players would have fun customizing small cosmetic aspects of their class. These things could be paid unlockables like finishers.

WoW does this, small customization options to skills for all classes would be a MASSIVE seller on the BLTP. Great points, couldn’t agree more.

in Engineer

Posted by: bubberducky.3420

bubberducky.3420

Because they are busy recycling skins for money.

in Engineer

Posted by: Solai.5096

Solai.5096

Shameless Bump for frontpage until something is done

in Engineer

Posted by: Aldjeron.1062

Aldjeron.1062

I’d be happy with the ability to at least change the colors.

in Engineer

Posted by: Fnix.5608

Fnix.5608

Let’s hope something get done before we hit 12 months!

http://nox.no – Norse Oil eXpedition

in Engineer

Posted by: Wiseman.4075

Wiseman.4075

Bump

Every time I log onto my Engi I think, hmm toggle on/off switch or new skins yet? Nope…got to go check that forum topic again.

Bump
Bump

in Engineer

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

need update on this plz.

in Engineer

Posted by: BAEK.8561

BAEK.8561

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I just rolled an engineer and my goodness, the hobosack is horrendous. Makes me want to quit playing my engineer.

+1 that this game is all about cosmetics. Anet above all else should know that statement to be true, since most of their revenue comes from gem store purchases that alter player’s cosmetics.

{Sanctum of Rall} Since Day -3
Weekend Guardian/Elementalist
No Guild Affiliation

in Engineer

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I’d say my main problem with the hobo sacks are the fact that they can’t be customised to match any outfits you have.

It’s all very well having the most amazing outfit in the world, but it’s completely ruined when you switch to a kit and find yourself wearing some fugly brown sack on your back.

Would be awesome to be able to dye or change the look of certain weapon kits through skins in the gem store or something, and also be able to hide or show them.

Oh and the medium class needs some tops that go NO lower than the waist – there’s far too many coats it’s getting ridiculous. In fact right now I’m going shirtless because there’s no options for me other than coats that go down to my knees, or shorter coats which still go lower than the waist unless I change my gender, which I shouldn’t have to do.

Edit: another annoying thing is having your weapon kit removed when you get on siege in WvW. Not sure if it’s intentional, but if it is, that’s really stupid.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

in Engineer

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

And this still needs to happen.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in Engineer

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

I would like legendary skin for my kits. 1 legendary, and it allows me to pick stats, and they will affect my kits damage, as well as the skin the pack and held weapon have.

I would also like to see other ways of setting skins for kits other than a legendary.

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in Engineer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I have to say though that I still don’t quite get the issue with the graphics.

I take issues with the implementation, rather.
See, few Guardians complain about the looks of their books. Or Elementalists about their weapons.

But the thing is, the Guardian book serves an important purpose: It tells you that hey, this Guardian is using her ultimate right now!

Now in theory, Engineer packs do exactly the same thing. They’re all fairly distinct (even bomb <→ grenades), and they tell someone which kit you’re using at a glance.
Only problem is: We use them constantly. It’s not a skill with a cooldown. And I’m not quite sure that’s a smart implementation. If kits were stronger, but came with a limitation (have to build up fuel again, restock grenades, restock gunpowder, and so on), then I could see the point in clearly announcing when I’m using one.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Engineer

Posted by: BAEK.8561

BAEK.8561

I have to say though that I still don’t quite get the issue with the graphics.

I take issues with the implementation, rather.
See, few Guardians complain about the looks of their books. Or Elementalists about their weapons.

But the thing is, the Guardian book serves an important purpose: It tells you that hey, this Guardian is using her ultimate right now!

Now in theory, Engineer packs do exactly the same thing. They’re all fairly distinct (even bomb <-> grenades), and they tell someone which kit you’re using at a glance.
Only problem is: We use them constantly. It’s not a skill with a cooldown. And I’m not quite sure that’s a smart implementation. If kits were stronger, but came with a limitation (have to build up fuel again, restock grenades, restock gunpowder, and so on), then I could see the point in clearly announcing when I’m using one.

If it’s for balance purpose of alerting the enemy what the engineer is using, then can we have something much smaller like a kit that goes around the belt? Right now, it’s half the size of my character and frankly, thats all I see. I don’t see what my character is wearing for armor, I don’t see the back piece, and I don’t see the weapon. All I see is a hobosack.

If your argument against the suggestion above is that it’ll be too small to notice, then so are daggers and pistols. But we have no problem identifying daggers or pistols by what kind of skills are being cast with the weapons. So size/visibility shouldn’t be an issue.

Also, comparison with Guardian’s book is a bit off in my opinion. Guardian’s book is a skill which is only temporary, and so are conjured weapons – they’re skills that temporarily replace the character’s weapon. Engineer’s kits are permanent and so I think they deserve more attention than temporary weapons.

{Sanctum of Rall} Since Day -3
Weekend Guardian/Elementalist
No Guild Affiliation

in Engineer

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Yeah if you’re a human the backpacks are much too big. The size is fine on my norn and asura engi. There are some that also look really weird on charr, like the flamethrower is sitting way too high on their back compared to the rest of the kits. (I think it was flamethrower, maybe it was elixir gun)

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I’m not sure why they still haven’t disabled it.

Must be a really power-tripping exec, or something.

in Engineer

Posted by: westerosbanshee.4056

westerosbanshee.4056

Hobo sacks look like hot garbage. Please fix.

in Engineer

Posted by: Leviathan.9850

Leviathan.9850

I would love custom skins for the kits. I would pay actual money for that.

Hannelora – Engineer; Fan Lei Fa – Ranger
[Xian] Terracotta Army – Desolation server

in Engineer

Witaminka.4650

Look at the tool kit and bomb kit, both got same skin -.-

server jumper

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Some exec calling the shots really seems to like hobosacks…

in Engineer

Posted by: Shadowtech.5071

Shadowtech.5071

How about instead of complaining about a character skin issue, we have a eight page thread on the Engineer crap downstate mechanic, which is the worst out of all the professions.
Downstate #1.Throw Junk-rng condi, low damage, low condi duration
#2.Grapling Line-pull enemy to me….o.k. plz kill me faster?? Interrupt that can be blocked by anything
#3.Booby Trap-explosion aoe knockback, not bad its alright

Catastraseed – Guardian / Keytuura – Engineer
[GoA] Guardians of Äsgard
Maguuma

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I propose new Downed Skill #3. Give all nearby enemies hobo-sacks. They should kill themselves right then and there out of depression, seeing what has been done to their customized looks. In Pvp that would translate into making their stomps an emphatic and apologetic revive. “There there, poor fella. I didnt mean to hurt you. Gods know you are suffering enough,,,”

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

How about, instead of turning this into another discussion of Engineer downed skills, we leave the Hobosack thread a Hobosack thread?

For reference, here’s some threads that are actually about what you want to talk about, that you can post in:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Engineer-Downed-State
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Downed-Skill-2-worst-skill-ingame

in Engineer

Witaminka.4650

I have a lot of colors on my engi, but only few fit hobosacks. So 99% of time i m running around with lame orange shade or clay dye. What about the other 400+ colors? They dont exist -,-. Id like to see on/off button for hobosacks.

server jumper

in Engineer

Posted by: Assassin.7890

Assassin.7890

oh please, please change these hobo sacks. They are unbelievable ugly. RPGs life from their cool style – not from their unseemliness.
Please at least offer a hide button until new skins can be provided by the designers.
Thanks in advance

Keep reminding

in Engineer

Posted by: Wiseman.4075

Wiseman.4075

I got the new Dwayna Back piece! Yayyyy and wait for it……My crappy hobosack the Charr made covers the darn thing up!!!!! I am a proud Asura and demand to look spectacular! I want a kitten refund if I have to still look like a mini kitten Charr.

in Engineer

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

Maybe this thread have no more than 9-10 months, but the issue is here from the begining of the closed beta, its more than a year already, true that people didnt seen it as problem in closed beta but that dosent mean it wasnt.
Dose people still have any hope that it will be fixed? i sure dont have any, same for any other issue that Engineers face.

HELL, ther was no devs response here in months already!!!

(edited by Cold Hearted Person.6154)

in Engineer

Posted by: jknrich.1549

jknrich.1549

I finished the tower like most of us. Got my self a new back pack. Looks amazing. Then I put my kits on. And I can’t show it off

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Does anyone feel like this may be a ploy to move engineers out of the kit-using meta?
It kinda works if it is. I hate them bags so much i struggle to find kit-less builds that are borderline useable.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Does anyone feel like this may be a ploy to move engineers out of the kit-using meta?

That would be some major mixed signals. Using hobosacks to make us not want to use kits, while nerfing one of the primary non-kit traits (Incendiary Powder) by moving it into a location that basically makes it only useful for kits.

It’s like you have 2 different groups of developers in Anet screaming “STOP USING KITS!!!” and “ONLY USE KITS!!!!”

in Engineer

Posted by: OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

Hey look buddy, I’m an engineer, I solve problems. Not problems like “What is beauty?” because that’s philosophical. I solve practical problems and those problems get solved by my hobosack. If my hobosack doesn’t solve my problems, I use more hobosacks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Prism.5649

Prism.5649

Honestly it’s embarrassing that this is still an issue.

Bill said that he wants hobosacks to be taken care of, and that was four months ago. All ANet has to do is add a toggle to allow hobosacks to be hidden or shown, much like back items.

That kind of coding is actually pretty simple and would take maybe an hour or two tops to pull off. Even if the devs only spent a few minutes on it each day there is no way it should be taking over four months to push this out.

He also said that they were waiting for the art designs to add icons for kits similar to Ele Attunements. How long does it take to draw 5 of those tiny icons? Heck I could whip those out in like 20 minutes. Or they could even just use the icon of the utility.

Honestly ANet’s biggest problem is the lack of communication between devs and players. Other games out there like Warframe have devs that post in weekly blogs everything that they are working towards so that players know exactly what’s up. You would think that with all of ANet’s resources their top devs could spare a few minutes each week (or even once a month!) to let us know what they are planning with their game. The 12/10 patch preview was a step in the right direction, but things like that are really rare.

Oh well, I’m sure this post will be ignored by the devs and/or flamed by ANet apologizers, so have at it I guess…

Prismatic Storm: Ele
Prismatic Science: Engi
Prismatic Dream: Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Specterryu Quipter.8412

Specterryu Quipter.8412

Honestly it’s embarrassing that this is still an issue.

That kind of coding is actually pretty simple and would take maybe an hour or two tops to pull off. Even if the devs only spent a few minutes on it each day there is no way it should be taking over four months to push this out.

You seem to be under the impression that coding for a toggle is a simple manner. If you’re using an engine like Unreal, than this is true, but only because of how GUIfied the UDK has become. Unfortunately, this is where business practices are heavily involved when you’re a programmer. Guild Wars 1’s engine was an in house build by Anet (Gw2’s engine is a heavily modified version of the original Guild Wars). Since GW1’s engine was created by Anet, NCSOFT also has access to it. Since NCSOFT has access to this engine, they are probably using it with other projects. Most companies don’t like to keep many programmers on board after a project has been completed. The high end programmers that manage a project move on to another, or are fired. Meaning the lower end programmers are the only ones left on the job. Sometimes they’ll just fire everyone and hire a bunch of noobs to take over. Sometimes they’ll just fire them all.

The reasons you can’t get that simple toggle is for the reasons above. Nobody knows what happened to those programmers. But to tack onto that, GW2 uses a “heavily” modified GW1 engine, it would be very difficult to code anything into. As somebody who has the unfortunate privilege of creating and modifying programs on a daily basis. I can tell you that creating a program from scratch is often times easier than modifying an existing one. Especially if you were not the one to create the original program, and especially if it is an already modified program.

Lastly, I am not defending Anet, this issue should have been resolved on release. Which would have been when the most programmers would have been available; by now they’ve probably started to downsized. Be that as it may, the only reason why I decided to reply to your comment is because you claimed that a programmers job is easy. Since I know our job is not easy, I decided to show that you’re witless and don’t have a clue what the hell you’re talking about.

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

in Engineer

Posted by: Keller.8934

Keller.8934

……

they could at least enable the effects of legendaries (when having the hobosack active) while they work on a solution to dye/replace/skin the hobosack.

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

I still can’t understand why we even need a backpack to make others see we’re using a certain weapon. I mean, it isn’t like warriors have giant greatswords on their back when they’re already using a greatsword. And neither thieves have a luggage of daggers and pistols behind them when they have said weapons in hand.
And it isn’t like our weapons aren’t recognizable enough. Elixir gun, tool kit and flamethrower are quite recognizable already. Bombs can be seen on the terrain when used, as well as grenades in midair (and it isn’t like seeing a backpack would help much – either he’s facing the enemy to launch said grenades, or he’s launching the grenades directly behind him, so one would recognize them anyway).
Even then, they could just put a bomb in one hand and a bag of bombs in another for the bomb kit, and put a proper grenade launcher for the grenade kit (come on, the whole “my hands can launch things farther than a rifle or pistol” is kinda absurd).
And apply the effects of the equipped legendary to them.

Edit: oh, right, i forgot the med kit. Assuming one even needs to know about that, mh, a first aid kit would be enough, imho.

(edited by Manuhell.2759)

in Engineer

Posted by: Assassin.7890

Assassin.7890

still no change → I’ am offline for another 2 months then, playing prettier games!

in Engineer

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

bump from me

something has to be done about the hobosacks and cultural skins seem to be the best idea so far

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Engineer

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

but i liked my charr hobo sack 8D it match my race perfectly (trollface)

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

“Charr need no hobosacks!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

I love my hobosacks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

I was just wondering if there has been a dev update regarding whether or not this issue is going to be fixed?

in Engineer

Posted by: emilejuggernaut.1864

emilejuggernaut.1864

Bump only thing im not enjoying about leveling wheres my motivation to grind nice back gear it’s not like we can run turret builds or anything anyway we have to use kits. I am forced into looking bad.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

I love my hobosacks. I just wish I could get a set of skins for them.