Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

heh.. thats not a “big” issue to them.. even if it should be. The engineer class is dumbed down beyond belief atm. Turrets suck, you only got ranged weapons, the kits are too weak raw damage wise (in my opinion but thats for a different thread) and then they also look just ugly. Some dye would already do a lot or an option to hide it.. man that CANT be that hard to do, or a hide button for those who dont want it. Come on a net show some love for the engineers. Its especially sad if you bought the game to play engineer (like i did)

Bravo! Finally someone told true. If the skills are having change so huge like heal scaling by 50% or transmutation 100% (cooldown tooo long as usual), it is a proof that class is dumbed down, broken etc.
And of course hobo – sacks, they look like shieet. Its like a beta or something , bump all the way the top !

well i sorta stopped using the turrets cause those racial skill sylvary turrets (of the mesmer in my usual group i play with) outmatched mine…humiliating if practially a quarter of what an engineer should be good for gets outmatched by a mesmer -_-. Those things even can be “thrown” into place while i gotta carry mine where i need em and then babysit em like expensive vases. Even the supply crate doesnt do justice at all. In fact if it would be after my wishes turrets would stay as weak as they are.. BUT you spawn 3 of each with the skill, that way it would justify the weakness. I mean the basic one shoots cotton balls with the reload speed of the history of mankind…and you only need to glare at it from the side and it explodes. The flame turret´s range is shorter then a toothpick, the net tower does have its uses if it got a very good day and hits for once. The thumper is only good in narrow spots.. whats practically its use anyways, the rocket turret…man go home you drunk, never hits and if it does its almost funny to see the damage. You gotta “overcharge” it to have a knockdown…i mean come on man XD.
Well.. that out of my system.. back to the kittening about the hobosacks…

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

in 11 days this topic will have literally been on the front page of the engineer forums for a year, a whole year engineers have kept this post going just so we can have the ability to change the look of something we are nearly forced to use so we can have a viable build.

anet can you please give us some information about what is planned and please not your usual “this is on our radar”.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

in 11 days this topic will have literally been on the front page of the engineer forums for a year, a whole year engineers have kept this post going just so we can have the ability to change the look of something we are nearly forced to use so we can have a viable build.

anet can you please give us some information about what is planned and please not your usual “this is on our radar”.

then lets take sure it stays where it is and celebrate the first birthday of a thread that shouldnt even exist in the first place in a game that builds more on visuals then stats…ugh…

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Not to shoot anyones great morale in the gonads, but what exactly did it accomplish, keeping this thread up on the front page? You thinks there is a prize for threads that survive a year without sticky? Even if the prize was a single minute attention of a developer with an actual answer or some authority on the issue at hand?

There is no prize. The mere existence and survival of this thread is a mark of shame that they avoid like the plague.

That might be a bit extreme, im sorry. The truth is, it is forgotten. Nobody cares, but us. Not even the majority of engineers. Just the few dozen people who keep looking at it and bumping it.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Not to shoot anyones great morale in the gonads, but what exactly did it accomplish, keeping this thread up on the front page? You thinks there is a prize for threads that survive a year without sticky? Even if the prize was a single minute attention of a developer with an actual answer or some authority on the issue at hand?

There is no prize. The mere existence and survival of this thread is a mark of shame that they avoid like the plague.

That might be a bit extreme, im sorry. The truth is, it is forgotten. Nobody cares, but us. Not even the majority of engineers. Just the few dozen people who keep looking at it and bumping it.

yea mate.. its pretty much a fruitless task but then again it maybe works to the devs like a sort of sticky note you run by from time to time. And even if the truth is forgotten why should that stop ppl from kittening? Just imagine some dev wanders through the forums and sees this thread, all planets align at the second he clicks on it to read it, a cosmic ray of pure mercy shoots into his\her brain and then he\she got the sudden wild idea to spend a few days with coding a show\hide checkbox and enables some dye options while maybe.. MAYBE put out a few suggestions for engineer kit skins to the team. Man.. that got a bit weirder then i thought it would be :\

But yea.. lets just imagine some dev walks across it sometime again and decides its time to fix it.

(edited by Basaltface.2786)

in Engineer

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

They had a pretty simple fix to the hobo-sack issue a while back.

Why not little icons like elementalists have instead of the big, ugly hobo-sacks?

Shouldn’t be that hard to tweak the elementalist’s code and add some new icons.

in Engineer

Posted by: nykcu.2936

nykcu.2936

I just received my Green Quaggan backpack as a ‘Thank you’ from Arenanet for buying gems. They sure do have a sick sense of humor.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

….really now? XD

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

Why not little icons like elementalists have instead of the big, ugly hobo-sacks?

Nothing would be hard to do. Its their system. Hell, the hide options for GLOVES was implemented as a sneak update. NOBODY in the whole wide world was asking for that, but we got it almost a year ago.

For the kit/attunement icons, they dont even need to paint new icons. Everybody knows that. We know it, they know it. If this whole issue would take more than an hour of effort to fix, i would understand the delay…for about 4 weeks after a dev recognised the issue and posted here. But oh no, it takes months to even look at this way.

If i sound bitter about this, its because i am. This is just shameful.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

so the glove thing wasnt even there from the start? Wtf… come on really now A-net…

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

I don’t know if it was a Dev who initially brought this up (I think it was) or the players, but there is no need for an icon IMO. The idea is that the Hobo Sack is some sort of visual indicator as to what kit the Engineer is in. That’s silly. Nobody is alerted to what kit an Engineer is using by what it looks like (especially since two of them are the same). Within a fraction of a second of an Engineer switching to a kit you know what they do? Use a skill. That’s how you know what kit it is.

To be clear I’m not against icons, I mean why not have them, but I do not buy the idea that is some sort of a road block to dealing with the terrible aesthetics of the Hobo Sacks.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

so the glove thing wasnt even there from the start? Wtf… come on really now A-net…

Yes. Many people forget or didnt even know it because they came later to the game. I was looking through the update notes, but couldnt find any mention of it. It came the same time when players who finished the Flame and Frost meta got a fused glove skin. I remember i thought it kinda ironic to add the option to hide the skin you just got through months of living story content.

Little did know that that was not the biggest irony at all. I hoped back then that the hobo-sacks would come next. THAT is the biggest irony.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

..so they give people epic looking fire gloves and an option to hide them…huh… Need to sit down for a moment and make sence of this. Im serios.. got a headache now…yay…

in Engineer

Posted by: Plus.7209

Plus.7209

More than anything else, I’d just like the legendary auras+footfalls to appear while using kits.

in Engineer

Posted by: emilejuggernaut.1864

emilejuggernaut.1864

Bumping this again. All these back skins and i have to lose them all to be viable either make non kit builds viable or let us hide them.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

I personally dont got much of a legendary kitten like most people..though i can see why people would like to show them, they afterall look very cool..specially the predator. Id love to do SOMETHING.. anything to make those things dont look that darn ugly. In my (humble) opinion to colour them would already do a lot to go with the armor colour wise and a simple hide button for those who dont enjoy them. And maybe just keep the weapons holstered visible if you use a kit and BAM 90% of the issues fixed. As for the other 10%…why dont some skins?

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I can’t believe how long it’s been since this thread first came about, and they still haven’t touched this.

In fact, besides a couple of nerfs, what changes have engies seen lately? Did someone in the engineer community do something to make Anet mad? >_>

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

i was a nice guy.. so dont look at me XD

in Engineer

Posted by: Assassin.7890

Assassin.7890

Almost 40k views and many replies.
This is about to be a giant protest march.
Still even no propper answer from the “authorities” …
Does customers must really leave the game before anything at all happens?

Furthermore – this thread got so immense, Anet has to hire personnel to read all of our feedback!

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

If everyone who didnt like hobo-sacks would just leave the game, you know what ANET would see? Nothing. For all the views and bumps and completely valid points in this thread, we are still a very quiet minority. They lose more players due to natural drop out or loss if interest.

As for what engies got lately, i entertained the idea of opening a sour thread asking what do we remember to be the best thing happening to engineers we remember. Honestly i can only remember the update when weapon sigils started to work on kits. Because there was a time when they didnt work.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Yeah, I remember that.
And then they nerfed Kits because of adding Sigils.
I don’t even use Kits, and I thought that was stupid – they’d outright said they were trying to get Sigils working on Kits, and then when they finally do, they go “Obviously this is grounds for a nerf. No, we actually haven’t seen what the playerbase would do with this, but let’s go ahead and chop down some of this damage.”

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

Yeah, I remember that.
And then they nerfed Kits because of adding Sigils.
I don’t even use Kits, and I thought that was stupid – they’d outright said they were trying to get Sigils working on Kits, and then when they finally do, they go “Obviously this is grounds for a nerf. No, we actually haven’t seen what the playerbase would do with this, but let’s go ahead and chop down some of this damage.”

i always get depressed when i think about how i didn’t get to use a HGH zerker nader with original nade damage, it would be like an aoe kill shot that didnt have an obvious cast animation.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

i always get depressed when i think about how i didn’t get to use a HGH zerker nader with original nade damage, it would be like an aoe kill shot that didnt have an obvious cast animation.

ask me when i gently stroke enemies to death with my (ugly looking) flamethrower

in Engineer

Posted by: Grimface.3807

Grimface.3807

Yep.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

I totally agree. They are ugly but unfortunely Ive gotten “use to them”

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

i probably will never get used to them.. specially cause my ocd kicks in big time if some armor piece i wear dont matches up colour wise with the others and those darn ugly brown on the sacks makes my eye twitch. If i atleast could dye them it would be a LOT better already

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

If we ever only get the dye option for the sacks, the next part will be asking for an Invisibility Dye. It makes your gear invisible… But not you. That will either make people run around seemingly naked with all armors equipped, or at the very least, i could get rid of the kitten sacks clipping through my head.

in Engineer

Assassin.7890

I desperately need a reply from someone official!!!

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

It’s been five months since the last dev response to this thread. I can’t quite bring myself to hope they’ll start paying attention now.

in Engineer

Tolmos.8395

heh, at this point the only official interest we’ll ever get is nerfs. We have no community rep- I doubt anyone in Anet even plays Engie anymore.

Just sit back, enjoy watching your character’s builds get butchered, and get used to the hobosack. Asking for anything more seems like it’s becoming a fantasy. :-\

in Engineer

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

wait…wait…wait… where’s Grouch??? I thought he’s our official Engi Dev

I love the “Hobo Sack” description, too perfect. Let’s campaign and get this done by Spring 2014!!! #NoHobo2014

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Tolmos.8395

wait…wait…wait… where’s Grouch??? I thought he’s our official Engi Dev

I love the “Hobo Sack” description, too perfect. Let’s campaign and get this done by Spring 2014!!! #NoHobo2014

I’m going to make a twitter account just to use that hashtag.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

wait what? We got an engi dev???… THEN WHERE THE HELL IS HE XD

in Engineer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I find it curious that I seem to be entirely alone in simply not minding the backpacks. Yeah, they don’t fit every single character design. Ofc they don’t, neither does the weapon you’re wielding in the kit.

Sure, an option to change the look would be cool, but I’d put it pretty kitten low on the priority list. I mean I get for human engineers it’s bad because the size is so overdone compared to your character. Should have rolled Asura, like the rest of us.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Engineer

Mad Rasputin.7809

End game content is all about looks and skins.

Rewards for LS content is a back piece the majority of the time.

Back pieces are utterly useless for Engies atm.

This game is all about looks at 80. Looks and stepping on the Engie.

in Engineer

Posted by: Korilla.9614

Korilla.9614

This is what we need. +1000000.

I will necro this thread every day til something happens. Anet, hear my cry!!!! Please do something about our hobopacks!

in Engineer

Tolmos.8395

I find it curious that I seem to be entirely alone in simply not minding the backpacks. Yeah, they don’t fit every single character design. Ofc they don’t, neither does the weapon you’re wielding in the kit.

Sure, an option to change the look would be cool, but I’d put it pretty kitten low on the priority list. I mean I get for human engineers it’s bad because the size is so overdone compared to your character. Should have rolled Asura, like the rest of us.

Hopefully they will just implement a hide so that folks who like them can continue to enjoy them. When you toggle the hide, the backpack vanishes and you get an icon by your nameplate instead.

Or you always have an icon by your nameplate, regardless of whether it is hidden or not.

Then everyone wins!

in Engineer

Posted by: Tormented.6380

Tormented.6380

Legendary imbued hobo sacks -_-

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

The problem for me isn’t so much that the packs are ugly, but it’s that they cover the other much cooler equipment you’ve worked for. That Jet Pack you grinded money for, then skinned to an ascended back piece? Nope, can’t see it. That awesome shield you finally got? Not happening.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

We will necro this thread until this is fixed.

Say “NO!” to Hobosacks!

Say “YES!” to Plushbacks!

Let me wear a Green Quaggan on my back!

in Engineer

Mad Rasputin.7809

We will necro this thread until this is fixed.

Say “NO!” to Hobosacks!

Say “YES!” to Plushbacks!

Let me wear a Green Quaggan on my back!

Lol… what a sick joke by ANet. Rewarding you for buying gems with a Green Quaggan Back Piece that is utterly useless on your character.

in Engineer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

First post on this thread was 11 months ago.

They care about what we think.

in Engineer

Assassin.7890

Aaaaand new developer vid with engineer as subject.
Gues what?
Hobosacks arn’t mentioned anywhere!!!
-.-

in Engineer

Posted by: Voltaire.5824

Voltaire.5824

Gues what?
-.-

Maybe he lost a bet and had to do a vid on engi?

Love the idea of elementalist like icons. Game balance preserved?

in Engineer

Carighan.6758

Gues what?
-.-

Because it totally fits into a tutorial video.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Engineer

Tolmos.8395

Gues what?
-.-

Because it totally fits into a tutorial video.

It’s one of the defining aspects of our class- of course it should be mentioned in a tutorial video. Or should new Engineers have this parasite that is stuck to our back sprung upon them unawares after they are excited about their class? =D

“Here’s all the most awesome stuff about the class… oh good good, you’re enjoying it, are you? Well then enjoy this hobosack parasite that will never let go of your back ever again! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

I suppose there was a reason he never showed the actual character and we only saw the trait panel through the whole thing.

But i saw behind that for a few flashes. It was the Orr Temple reward armor dyed earthen. He also had a Divinity Council gear in the inventory. I just put a question in the comment asking if he enjoys the hobo-sacks for the Council gear. I dont expect a reaction.

in Engineer

Carighan.6758

The way you’re blowing the issue out of proportions as if it’s some completely play-crippling issue – as annoying as it is, though – would only serve to make the feedback unimportant in the eyes of the devs.

Yes, it’s a problem. It’s not crippling, it’s not class-ruining, it’s not even all that serious.
It’s still annoying and should be changed.

Picking at a video where a dev explains a class to newcomers is entirely childish, and at best will make devs ignore any statement from you. That’s “at best”. At worst it might make them throw the entire point of a meeting agenda because well, look, players are apparently no longer taking it serious.

in Engineer

Assassin.7890

We do… Since feb 2013.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shivenis.3761

Shivenis.3761

I bought a guild backpack and now I have a small hobo sack even if I don’t have a kit on

If you can’t beat them…