Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Don’t worry guys, I’m sure Anet is on it. Just look at their office space that is dedicated to the Engineer class!

Attachments:

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phlogus.2371

Phlogus.2371

A year later and we can’t even get a customization. You can keep your hobo sack if you like your hobo sack.

Phlogustus Male Char DD Ele
Molen Labe Female Human Necro
Devonas Rest – Black Rose Legion -CF4L

in Engineer

Posted by: Alyssa.7254

Alyssa.7254

I know this is probably the lowest priority in the game development right now. It really does suck though to be in a game based around cosmetic rewards and have a majority of those rewards not ever be shown on our characters a majority of the time.

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Time to look forward to the next anniversary. Starting count down for 1 year anniversary of the last dev response on the topic..

in Engineer

Posted by: Eravyn.7483

Eravyn.7483

I love the idea of equipping the kits in some other way besides giant bags covering your entire back and ruining any effect or item you might have there.

I found this while googling the issue: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/My-engineer-back-items-and-kits-solution/first#post2787750

Don’ t know about you guys, but I love it. Like some futuristic fanny pack that leaves your back free.

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Well.. might aswell bump with a fitting meme…

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

OH GOD NO LEAVE IT!! Q_Q

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

It’s alright, I get to do magic tricks with my engie. With one button I get to remove all the epicness of my Predator and my Molten Jetpack.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

The cruel Irony of all this, is that they finally came out with a back piece that fits the look one would expect to see on an engineer: the spinal blades, but, it still disappears/sticks out awkwardly from my hobosack when I equip a kit.

Also, in a non-related issue: I am still waiting for some armor that looks like engineer armor instead of thief armor, that I don’t have to buy with gems.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

in Engineer

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

#NoHoBo2014……

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anetheron.7502

Anetheron.7502

Is it so difficult to add an option to hide that ugly bag on the back of engineers?… I don’t even mind paying gems for something like that, as long as they give us that option.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chesed.2890

Chesed.2890

I LIKE ENGINEER BACKPACKS.

I’m all for putting in an option to turn them off for people that don’t want them, but the backpack is to an engineer what apple pies are to America. Or the stars and stripes. You see the backpack and you think engineer.

I love mine so much that I still have and use the one I got from my personal story. Once I have enough to craft my ascended back-piece, I’ll be transmuting it accordingly….

in Engineer

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

Is this thread now the longest running thread on the forum? (Not counting necro’d posts)

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in Engineer

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

Suppose world will end or gw2 servers will shut down before engies get any cosmetic love.

in Engineer

Posted by: Doug.4930

Doug.4930

There will be a day when Engis will be able to be rid of the abysmal hobo sacks.

But it is not this day.

Doug The Unseen Of Homefront Defenders [HD]

Jade Quarry’s dedicated Roaming/Havoc Squad Guild

in Engineer

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

(60’s Batman narrator voice)
13 pages and one year later………

in Engineer

Posted by: Dynnen.6405

Dynnen.6405

Don’t worry guys, I’m sure Anet is on it. Just look at their office space that is dedicated to the Engineer class!

Yea because engineers have been fine since around launch, lol

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Perhaps next Feature update?

in Engineer

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

i agree with the OP the actual engi backpack kit are UGLY
i have a little female human, and i just hate those insane huge kit backpack.

I also agree that we should have at least one other kit skin choice, like a little belt. we already have the skill bar change we do not need thoses awfull skins
but for god sake NOT something with gems..

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

in Engineer

Gern.2978

Sure would be nice if a Dev. would humor us with a more recent response, to at least make it seem like they care.

in Engineer

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

Sure would be nice if a Dev. would humor us with a more recent response, to at least make it seem like they care.

You have my +1

It would certainly be great if we they would post something especially if they’ve abandoned the idea of doing anything. ~_~

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

bumping to bring its back to its spot

in Engineer

Posted by: MrKahwk.9524

MrKahwk.9524

Maybe it needs more than a year to reach the “no hobo sack no more” wish of the players on their priority list. I mean, there are so many other more important issues. It just takes time but that doesn’t mean that it’s not embarassing for the devs to need so much time to fix things >_>

in Engineer

Posted by: HolySylent.8160

HolySylent.8160

It was either this or a phanny pack, guys.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

It was either this or a phanny pack, guys.

Well im sure there could be a way to make this visually more pleasing with some skins or just add a button to hide it lol

in Engineer

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

They are still working on higher priority and wider reaching issues.

Have patience.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Its just that its already quite some long time, over a year already and people get impatient or feel ignored. Im pretty sure there should be some time to sneak some fixes in or just a “yea.. yea we work on it.. whatever lol” from the devs cause its already half a year since one posted. The “have patience” doesnt fully cut it anymore, specially not for those who dump a lot of gems into apperance to have nice looking engineers. I mean yea.. sure its clearly not issue #1 that needs to be adressed but it IS in the top ten for engineers besides the usual culprits that are beaten to death. Sure.. the devs can only do so much at one time… but it is a sour taste for those who spend a lot of time to forge ascended backpieces, spend a lot of gold and gems for armor skins and colours or just go insane and forge a legendary..or more of them whatever. The kits just never fit colour wise or, design wise or cover up the beautifull backpieces. A small tiny button to turn em off, maybe an option to colour them to fit colour wise to the armor of the engineer and if you wanna go full out some skins to make them dont look this poorly made.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

You guys responded to the mesmer bug thread, anything new here maybe too? :o Looking forward to next tuesday for a fix :s

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Engineer

Mad Rasputin.7809

Great news!!!

They fixed the Six Minutes to Knightfall achievement issue.

Because, you know, achievements are higher priority and further reaching.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

yes they actually are (if temporary)

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

yes they actually are (if temporary)

And this is the issue with two-week cycles of content right here.

Content gets pushed out, buggy as hell due to an evidently nonexistent or incompetent QA team and/or testing, they need to fix it ASAP so people don’t get locked out of kitten because the content’s only around for two weeks…which means neglecting other issues, which have been, and will be, around for far longer than the content will be available for.
And then they might just delay bugfixes until the next ‘Feature Patch,’ because obviously it’s not like people would like a little hustle in getting existing content to function properly, not when they’ve got Villain Sue Salad and their army of idiots to contend with. Really, it’s not like it probably causes that much of an issue, as their bugfixes will probably break just as thoroughly as the thing they’re trying to fix.

Sorry, I got a little off-track there. Anyway, point is, this two-week content cycle is bad for every part of the game, including that part that actually is the purpose of the content cycle. QoL improvements like being able to actually see your back item while using Kits fall by the wayside as resources are redirected to fixing the unpolished zergbait of the Living Story.

in Engineer

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

This is literally the only problem I have with playing an Engineer (The only class that I don’t have at lvl 80)

+ The some backpacks look way to heavy for even normal people to lift.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Attention: I am just clearing up what the problems are here

What are hobosacks?
Hobosacks is a name created by the maker of this thread to the visual bags on your bag that will show up when you equip and engineer kit.

Why don’t people like hobosacks?
When a hobosack is equipped, your Original back item will not appear, or it will appear bugged through the bag. Since most people play most in kits, you can’t really ‘show off’ with your back item which you put hard efford in.

Why can’t ArenaNet just remove the hobosacks?
Hobosacks are a way to show enemies which kit you are using. A skilled player can expect certain attacks then. Deleting hobosacks can give the player advantage because (for example) the enemy cant see wether you are using a bomb kit, grendade kit or healing kit.

What could be realistic solutions?
As stated by the many people, including a Developer itself, this is hard to make. Solutions to be noticed are:
- Cosmetic changes: The player can adjust the way your hobosack looks.
Pros: Giving yourself a nice fancy hobosack which you actually like.
Cons: Still does not show your self made backpiece.
- Moving the kits to other places: Idea’s for moving the kit to a belt, and/or actually wielding a weapons at some kits.
Pros: The backpiece-item-problem is solved, and the use of a belt would also make the term ‘toolbelt’ way more logic.
Cons: A toolbelt might influence your armor. Also wearing a long coat (like arah’s medium coat) makes the toolbelt barely visible.
- Aura: Some sort of aura connected to the kit you are using. Mainly unfluenced by the elementalist’s aura’s on attunement.
Pros: Does not influence any sort of style.
Cons: Magical aura’s on engineer? We haven’t seen that before…

Personal opinion
I personally like the idea of aura’s. It may sound very stupid that engineers are using magic but let me tell you this.
Engineers are capable of investegating magic and to use it in a technological way. Take Scarlet for example. The investigated the magic under Lion’s Arch and the Thaumanova Reactor, manipulated it for her own use.
Engineers using magic does in this case not refer to “summoning magic”, but capturing magic, converting it into a certain power core, and use that in your weapons.
In this way engineers can be capable of using aura’s for their kit’s.

Greetings, Fvux.

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Why can’t ArenaNet just remove the hobosacks?
Hobosacks are a way to show enemies which kit you are using. A skilled player can expect certain attacks then. Deleting hobosacks can give the player advantage because (for example) the enemy cant see wether you are using a bomb kit, grendade kit or healing kit.

You are not wrong here, I just find it hilarious. I would love to see a poll of the player base, even in competitive sPvP, to see how many people actually use hobosacks to identify what the Engi is doing. Show a clip of an Engi running at the player, switching to a kit, then using a skill from the kit against the player. I’m willing to bet the Dusk I just found that less than 10% of the time the player will recognize what kit he Engi is using before a skill goes off. Probably even less than 5%. It’s just a terrible justification for the hobosack, no one benefits from them for this reason.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

So enemies require a visible kit because grenades, a flamethrower, a tool or an elixier gun isn’t visible enough? seems legit.

just make them invisible if a backitem is visible – end of story

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Or just change the grenade kit to a grenade launcher if they think bomb kit and grenade kit aren’t distinguishable enough.

The whole hobosack thing doesn’t even make sense to begin with, though. Else any class should have a visual cue on the weapon it is using on its back…and this doesn’t happen.

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

- Aura: Some sort of aura connected to the kit you are using. Mainly unfluenced by the elementalist’s aura’s on attunement.

Personal opinion
I personally like the idea of aura’s. It may sound very stupid that engineers are using magic but let me tell you this.
Engineers are capable of investegating magic and to use it in a technological way. Take Scarlet for example. The investigated the magic under Lion’s Arch and the Thaumanova Reactor, manipulated it for her own use.
Engineers using magic does in this case not refer to “summoning magic”, but capturing magic, converting it into a certain power core, and use that in your weapons.

Greetings, Fvux.

Dont think it was the auras that were actually recommended, but the icons of the specific kits that are being used, similarly to the attunement icons of elementalists. Its not like we have signets that would clutter up the UI. The existing utility skill icons are discernable enough from each other, and show well which icon is which kit. Much better than any fancy magical aura or ugly sack (on the back of the engineer facing you, letting you see about 5% of the actual sack)

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

I guess the most “simple” fix that would satisfy the mayority would be :

- An Icon for each kit like the attunements of the eles
- A button to hide the kit´s backpack if the player wants it
- The ability to colour the basic packs to atleast go colour wise with the armor
- Different stlyed skins on the gem store and\or lion ticket vendors

and maybe:

- An ability to holster the kit´s weapon

in Engineer

Mad Rasputin.7809

If there really is such concern about being able to distinguish which kit we are in, the simplest solution would appear to be to use the Icons similar to what Elementalist have.

The framework is already in the game. Opponents would now know which kit we were in (not that I buy this excuse). Hobosacks could then he ‘hidden’ and backpieces shown.

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Personal opinion

Greetings, Fvux.

Dont think it was the auras that were actually recommended, but the icons of the specific kits that are being used, similarly to the attunement icons of elementalists. Its not like we have signets that would clutter up the UI. The existing utility skill icons are discernable enough from each other, and show well which icon is which kit. Much better than any fancy magical aura or ugly sack (on the back of the engineer facing you, letting you see about 5% of the actual sack)

Sir, you have a good point there. +1 for this idea.
Now ArenaNet has to work

I’dd like to hear an update from them if they even ARE working on this. It would give us some more hope dramaticly

Fvux

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in Engineer

Posted by: Max Durak.1358

Max Durak.1358

- An Icon for each kit like the attunements of the eles
- A button to hide the kit´s backpack if the player wants it

Only first two solutions with minimum time and effort are necessary, because we want this ASAP.

(edited by Max Durak.1358)

in Engineer

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

I’ve quit playing my engineer for several reason, this is being one of the main ones.
Necros facerolling me to death unless i have automated kitten is another but i can deal wit hthat.

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in Engineer

Gern.2978

I have a suggestion.
One of the major reasons they implemented the hobosack in the first place, was to give a visual que as to what kit the engi is using to other players, however, this doesn’t really work as advertised, especially in SPvP and WvWvW. The visual details between the different hobosacks for the various kits, are very small, and impossible to see by other players who usually have their cameras zoomed out all the way, and are moving too fast to tell the difference between a bomb kit, grenade kit, or a toolkit, at least until the engi starts using attacks. The only two kits which can be easily discerned from the others, are the elixer gun, and flamethrower.

So, why not do away with the bobosack all together, and make all the kits place something the engi’s hand, like the elixir-gun and flame-thrower do? Like a grenade launcher for the grenade kit, a couple big bombs in the engi’s hands for the bomb kit, and a big, easily seen wrench for the toolkit.

This solution fixes two problems: it gets rid of the unsightly hobosacks, and makes it easier for other players to know what kits the engineer is using. I really see no cons in it, what do you guys think?

in Engineer

Posted by: Plus.7209

Plus.7209

I have a suggestion.
One of the major reasons they implemented the hobosack in the first place, was to give a visual que as to what kit the engi is using to other players, however, this doesn’t really work as advertised, especially in SPvP and WvWvW. The visual details between the different hobosacks for the various kits, are very small, and impossible to see by other players who usually have their cameras zoomed out all the way, and are moving too fast to tell the difference between a bomb kit, grenade kit, or a toolkit, at least until the engi starts using attacks. The only two kits which can be easily discerned from the others, are the elixer gun, and flamethrower.

So, why not do away with the bobosack all together, and make all the kits place something the engi’s hand, like the elixir-gun and flame-thrower do? Like a grenade launcher for the grenade kit, a couple big bombs in the engi’s hands for the bomb kit, and a big, easily seen wrench for the toolkit.

This solution fixes two problems: it gets rid of the unsightly hobosacks, and makes it easier for other players to know what kits the engineer is using. I really see no cons in it, what do you guys think?

Sounds good in principle, but that seems like a lot of unneeded work on Anet’s part. Would probably require new animations. Besides, there’s a good chance that many people will still be unhappy with the aesthetics. I don’t think the problem is that hobosacks are ugly, but that they hide your backpiece and limit customization. Also, engineers feel forced to rely on using at least one kit, since kits are usually far superior to other utility skills.

Personally I like the fanny pack solution. Have some type of toggle to have your engineer use either hobosacks or fannypacks. It maintains the idea of having visual cues, keeps animations the same, opens up the backpiece, and gives players a little more customization options. However, even that would require a bit of work as well…

On top of that, it would be nice if kits displayed legendary auras when wielding a legendary. Pretty sure that kits still are locked at exotic damage too, even if you own an ascended weapon. Hopefully some of the many many issues will be addressed soon. Probably won’t happen in the feature patch, but one can hope.

in Engineer

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

If the kit visual is that necessary :

- grenade -> grenades in both hands
- bombs -> bombs in both hands
- tool kit → just increase the size of the adjustable spanner to make it crealy visible.
- flamethrower – elixir -> there is already the rifle
- medkit -> just make the character hold a mekittenit in both hands

end of story.

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

(edited by E Tan.7385)

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

If the kit visual is that necessary :

- grenade -> grenades in both hands
- bombs -> bombs in both hands
- tool kit -> just increase the size of the adjustable spanner to make it crealy visible.
- flamethrower – elixir -> there is already the rifle
- medkit -> just make the character hold a mekittenit in both hands

end of story.

grenades in each hand, bomb in both i guess? totally agree but just make sure there is a [x] for “show hobo sacks”. Sometimes they look great.

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

Again, why does the kit have to show ANYTHING!? The instant an Engineer swaps to a kit, they’re using skills from that kit. If those skills don’t tell you what kit the Engineer is using you have far larger problems.

Jade Quarry

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

Just one of the many reasons this arguement falls flat.

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/feature-packs/

March 24. Please let just one of the “New way to explore the look of GW2” be a solution to this issue!

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/feature-packs/

March 24. Please let just one of the “New way to explore the look of GW2” be a solution to this issue!

I hope so, but my money is on some sort of wardrobe

Jade Quarry