Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

I like how I can see the glow of my balth backpiece through my hobosacks, but I would prefer just to see my backpiece. Also, why can’t I get the glow effect while shield is stowed? It’s a pain to keep shooting things or equip rifle to do dark rooms in jumping puzzles.

in Engineer

Posted by: Plus.7209

Plus.7209

Never give up!!

in Engineer

Posted by: igmolicious.5986

igmolicious.5986

Never capitulate!

in Engineer

Posted by: Seven Dreamsong.9802

Seven Dreamsong.9802

+1 to customizable looks for the hobosack.
will get it even with gems.

that, or just add a no show toggle please.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

This has got to be one of the longest running front-page threads of any forum sub-section.

Yet we are no closer to learning if this issue will be fixed since the last dev post.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mayonnaise.9624

Mayonnaise.9624

Great new patch is here and yet again no sign of backpack issue rework!

“It’s Raining Lootbags! Hallelujah!
It’s Raining FSP Golems! Amen!”
– The Weather Girls

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

It’d be nice if they’d say anything about the subject.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ponzu.4570

Ponzu.4570

Hobo Sacks need to go!

lvl80 sylavari Engineer
Crystal Desert

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Well.. now that i got a slickpack (what was my dream to have since i started playing and saw it on other ppl, thanks btw a-net for making my kittening day with this ) it russles my jimmies to levels beyond space and time that i have to deal with this darn kitten clipping. Seriosly.. a-net please get your kitten together and fix that, it cant be that hard to add atleast a godforsaken toggle button… come on now

in Engineer

Mayonnaise.9624

It cannot be simply toggled PvE people since you need to be able to see what weapons are at disposal to an engineer you PvP with and against.

The solution is simple as it was already stated countless times. Make status icons as you did for elementalist attunments, or at least ANet take 1 minute and leave us a reply and explain why nothing has changed since your last reply (1 year ago)!

– The Weather Girls

in Engineer

Posted by: igmolicious.5986

igmolicious.5986

It cannot be simply toggled PvE people since you need to be able to see what weapons are at disposal to an engineer you PvP with and against.

The solution is simple as it was already stated countless times. Make status icons as you did for elementalist attunments, or at least ANet take 1 minute and leave us a reply and explain why nothing has changed since your last reply (1 year ago)!

Well, aside from that, it’s generally pretty obvious what sort of engineer you’re facing off against by what they are doing. And since packs can change from moment to moment, in PvP seeing a pack (if you actually CAN) doesn’t mean that the engineer is going to be using that kit from one second to the next. Also, I can’t even reliably see my Asura’s pack when staring at it from the back, so I question how well someone trying to look past my giant head from the front could identify the pack I’m wearing.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Well, aside from that, it’s generally pretty obvious what sort of engineer you’re facing off against by what they are doing. And since packs can change from moment to moment, in PvP seeing a pack (if you actually CAN) doesn’t mean that the engineer is going to be using that kit from one second to the next. Also, I can’t even reliably see my Asura’s pack when staring at it from the back, so I question how well someone trying to look past my giant head from the front could identify the pack I’m wearing.

In addition, Bomb Kit and Tool Kit are absolutely identical, with the exception of one equipping the Engineer’s hand with a wrench.
Obviously, the pack can’t be that important, or they’d at least have spent a half-hour throwing together visually distinct packs to begin with.

in Engineer

Posted by: Witaminka.4650

Witaminka.4650

Simple math and the sad truth

Attachments:

GW1 – 4,100+ / GW2 – 10,300+ hours played
server jumper

in Engineer

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

Longest thread, Hobo sack always here…

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Flamethrower and elixir gun are actually the cooler looking kits. Bomb(tool) and grenade are horrible. At least something like the SAB backpieces would be more bearable.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phlogus.2371

Phlogus.2371

Bump, lump and meh. The Kitten hobo sacks need to go. We keep talking but they never seem to understand.

Attachments:

Phlogustus Male Char DD Ele
Molen Labe Female Human Necro
Devonas Rest – Black Rose Legion -CF4L

(edited by Phlogus.2371)

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Im sure they do understand… but do they care? Sure not. It wouldnt even be so bad if you wouldnt have the kits clipping together with the backpiece. I noticed that if you got a backpiece on and equip a kit it replaces the backpiece.. but as soon as you use an ability of it the backpiece pops up again and clips together with the kit. Seriosly… just remove the darn kits and add somewhere a merchant that sells the standard kit backpacks as skin, maybe even the darn skill book trader right away.. so if you really want to have that on your back all the time.. you can

in Engineer

Kulvar.1239

When you have a one year thread with nearly height thousands replies, not giving any kitten is a strange choice…

If I could do [+10000] to Basaltface, I would do it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Layvi.6534

Layvi.6534

So im kinda new to the game. Today i bought a backpiece and a Slickpack skin at festival vendor. Now all i see is hobosack again. fml

in Engineer

Posted by: MesekAmam.1674

MesekAmam.1674

Signin in to let Anet know how annoyed I am. So: I am annoyed and would like to see my sweet backpiece. Thank you. Arghh.

in Engineer

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

They really are just awful, and with some armor look especially horrid. I’d be thrilled to see these things go away somehow.

in Engineer

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

I don’t understand: ANet has been producing aesthetically pleasing and matching armour and weapon skins regularly. None of which goes well with the hobosack.

No matter how much you invest in improving your look at level 80, you are always stuck with a piece of ugly costume that looks as though you are still in the tutorial zone (unless you choose not to use some of the power, which is absurd).

Anyway, why can’t ANet devote just a fraction of time to do something about the ugly sack? Making the display of it an option would be a brilliant start indeed.

(edited by Oh My God.8423)

in Engineer

Posted by: Shooka.9712

Shooka.9712

The lack of attention from Anet on this matter simply amazes me.
I really hope they are reading their own forums.

You know these little suggestion boxes in restaurants?
This forum is a one big suggestion box, sure its filled with crap and is used by a ton of stupid people.
But there really is no better way to figure out what your costumers want than reading it.

As a protest i will not be wearing back piece on my engi for the next month
Take that Anet.

in Engineer

Posted by: Cekay.2614

Cekay.2614

+1

I approve.

Please add an option to toogle on/off the Backpacks from Kits.
I would like to actually see the skin i bought in the shop instead of the lvl 1-80 same looking backpacks.

Thank you

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I remember that there was a plan about sending Anet a horrible sack tailored to look like the engineer hobo-sacks, but filled with something nice (Since i suppose grenades and bombs would send the wrong message), but making it clear that its a protest against the hobosack. Anyone knows what has become of that little project?

in Engineer

Kulvar.1239

Filled with candies and players letters asking to remove hobo-sack ?

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

I guess. At this points a single piece of paper with a crude handwritten note of a link to this thread could work. I have the distinct feeling that they’ve completely forgotten that it exists.

in Engineer

Posted by: Styopa.2538

Styopa.2538

I suspect that they think this is amusing now.

in Engineer

Posted by: MeanCoffeeBean.2073

MeanCoffeeBean.2073

I would love to be able to see my lovely ascended shield with the Super Adventure Box skin on it when actually using my engy… but no.

Hobosack.

Fluttershy – Mesmer
Clarishy – Ranger
Tinkershy – Engineer

in Engineer

Mayonnaise.9624

This needs to be bumped up regularly to show the attitude of staff towards such matter.

– The Weather Girls

in Engineer

Posted by: Klmor.1250

Klmor.1250

Bump.

The lack of attention from Anet on this matter simply amazes me.

This.

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Here’s a pic of my engi chilling in Lion’s Arch.

Attachments:

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

Yeah. After a little more than an hour of happy mix-and-matching armor looks and getting the dyes to produce the looks i wanted, i was happy…. for about five seconds. Then i realized that i had a kit in my build.

Some armor configurations stresses the issue with the hobosacks more than others. It truly is horrible that on a human model the backpack clips through the HEAD, like literally the bomb kits little lid is coming through the back of the neck and exits on the top of the head. Tool-kit has a grenade thingy right next to the head that in any honest situation would slap the engineer on the face at a subtle turn to the right.

It completely conceals the entire torso watching from behind, you know the position you see your character 99.999% of the time. Looking at it from the side it feels like that big ugly thing should be throwing us out of balance.

Im tired, and im pretty much through with every non-kit builds available since i began to use no kits a year ago (specificly because of the hobosacks. I hate them that much.)
Now, nearing the last pieces of an ascended armor set with a spinal blades back item to boost, im getting desperate not to have to deal with these shameful examples of anti-customization.

in Engineer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s pathetic in a game where progression is defined by appearance customization and we get this awful sack that ruins our backpieces.

At the very least get better backpack skins.

Of course, last I checked Ranger pet names don’t save if you replace them with another pet still, so all I can say, is don’t hold your breath.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Ranger pet names also aren’t one of the most common meta-achievement rewards.

in Engineer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Here’s a pic of my engi chilling in Lion’s Arch.

this is kittenen gold. I dont know how people arent making memes of this

in Engineer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Ranger pet names also aren’t one of the most common meta-achievement rewards.

Right, they just have to stare at them all the time unless they want to never enter combat.

Anyhow, my point is, that if they can’t make such simple QOL changes after so much time that we’re going to be screwed on the sack issue for quite a while. And the lack of an official response that means anything is just proof.

It’s just an unfortunate truth that Anet would rather add more Living Story crap then make proper, simple changes.

It’s pretty pathetic really and the game is not heading in a good direction. The focus on aesthetic progression has been lackluster in favor of more achievement and living story grinds. I mean putting a helmet turns your character bald, which makes hairstyles and helmets mutually exclusive. It would be too much effort. And then there’s the town clothes fiasco which apparently would take too much effort too. Right, if they won’t put any effort into the key mode of progression in this game, what are they going to put effort into?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Engineer

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

One day Ill be swinging my Juggernaut around lion’s arch happily, with no hobosack on my back.. .. But untill then I can only dream..

in Engineer

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

I remember that there was a plan about sending Anet a horrible sack tailored to look like the engineer hobo-sacks, but filled with something nice

no, at this point i actually approve of sending them bombs and grenades. they don’t deserve nice.

(edited by zaced.7948)

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

I fear that it wouldnt go through security. Also it wouldnt be too constructive. Maybe if it was grenade or bomb shaped biscuits? Sugar-treacle dispensers shaped as flamethrowers or elixir guns? A candy-cane Wrench?

With a message:
“Ditch the ugly bag, keep the contents.”

in Engineer

zaced.7948

you don’t understand. i have no intention of nicely reminding them of something. i’m not asking, i demand. and the crafted-candy induced well-being of some company employees that consequently ignore my demands could not be less of my concern. listening to our whining when they do something stupid is part of their job and i expect them to do that. they have employees for exactly that kind of thing which are called community managers. if there’s a thread 16 pages long, that demands the same thing for over a year without any rational reason why it shouldn’t be done and nobody even answers it then either the community manager is not doing his/her job and should be disciplined or it is ignored on purpose.
no commanager would be as stupid as to disregard such a big outrage so what probably is going on is that someone up high in the hierarchy dropped something like “it’s not worth our time, don’t post in there or they’ll get the wrong idea”.

so please, if you wish, go for it and waste your time crafting whatever shaped candy in order to continue being ignored. i’ll just stay here and demand from them to do what they should have done in the first place long ago and get angry if they don’t. i’ll use the tiny bit of power i have as a customer which is not giving them any money until my demands have been met.

(edited by zaced.7948)

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

You argue against yourself. If you intend to stay here and voice your opinion, demanding and getting angry, you will be ignored and forgotten, not just like this whole thread, but pretty much every complaining thread on the forum, valid or not.

We who want to get rid of these sacks are a minority in a minor profession in millions of players with much bigger issues. We are not even a vocal minority. We just pout and sulk and whine here on this forum thread only because it has a red tag that makes us believe that it is looked at by a developer, when in fact it was looked at by a developer more than a year ago, and probably never again.

You, me, the next poster and the posters two pages after this are as insignificant in the masses of text that is this entire official forum as a speck of dust in an arena full of sand. Our insignificant little demand means nothing. Until the actual persons behind the red tags have some personal, but more importantly real, outside of the cyberspace connection to the issue at hand. A little bit of reminder and a show of actual, real effort with some creativity may go a long way, where the official, boring channels are proven impotent.

As im broke and live in the EU, im not in the position to actually do this. If i could, i would. Whoever feels like it can pick up the idea and go with it. Let me know how it goes.

Or we can just go back and argue and whine here. It worked so well so far.

in Engineer

zaced.7948

You argue against yourself.

so i should kiss kitten for something that should be taken for granted? beg to anet for fixing their own mistake? send them presents for ignoring everything and everyone? no thank you.
i am well aware that all is vain and our demands are futile. I made a sarcastic comment to your post and after you took it seriously for some reason i tried to make clear how pathetic that idea is. That’s all.

(edited by zaced.7948)

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

I fear that it wouldnt go through security. Also it wouldnt be too constructive. Maybe if it was grenade or bomb shaped biscuits? Sugar-treacle dispensers shaped as flamethrowers or elixir guns? A candy-cane Wrench?

With a message:
“Ditch the ugly bag, keep the contents.”

This is genius. They sent Wildstar cupcakes, I think sugary treats are a language that might actually get through to them.

Take my +1 and let’s organize this.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in Engineer

Mayonnaise.9624

Another patch with another disappointment.

– The Weather Girls

in Engineer

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Still the largest bullkitten excuse in the history of this game. Unless it’s a full height Norn or Char wielding a single handed weapon, you pretty much can’t see what an opponent is wielding until they hit you with it. Forget it if they are an Asura as they are just a couple of pixels on my screen. Also, I’ll happily point out to anyone that PvE/WvW > PvP. We pay the bills and should get the proper return.

#NoHobo2014

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

Furthermore, tool kit and bomb kit hobosacks look the same. If you can’t see the difference between flamethrower and elixir gun without looking at the hobosack, then you need to pay more attention. Grenades are the only issue, but come on, grenades have their own unique animations and you can easily discern what it is. Asura engineer hobosacks are far too small to tell what they’re using from the front as well.

The simplest solution is to make a buff icon when a kit is equipped. Similar to what elementalists have.

Keeping this thread at the top of the engineer forums is all we can do, unfortunately. Unless you spam this forum with new topics on the hobosack, but that would probably get you banned.

I have to mention this (as many others have): It’s been one year now. This is one of the most highly requested changes from engineers. It’s been on page 1 almost the entire time. Seriously, what is going on?

(edited by Eastcorn.5901)

in Engineer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

One can fairly argue that they’re too focused on making $$ over in China to handle pressing NA issues with class functionality and customization.

• Hobosacks
  • Persistent clipping issues
  • Mesmer’s obscenely long buglist
  • Thief P/P set/Traps/amount of skills unusable underwater
  • Ranger Pet names/AI/Longbow QOL
  • <Insert other issue here>

The worst part is; fixing issues like this will only serve to increase the money ANet and their investors make. Happy players are more likely to toss some spare bucks here and there. Meh.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

One can fairly argue that they’re too focused on making $$ over in China to handle pressing NA issues with class functionality and customization.

• Hobosacks

The worst part is; fixing issues like this will only serve to increase the money ANet and their investors make. Happy players are more likely to toss some spare bucks here and there. Meh.

No kidding. I’ve been refusing to spend any money into the gem store due to the lazy QA, and now that they’ve finally gotten around to bugfixing Turrets, I’m not spending money because of stupid issues like this.
I spent sixty bucks to buy the game at launch in the first place, and if I’m to give Anet more money, they’ve got to actually do something to make me think I should. I’ve given Warframe more than a hundred dollars, and that’s free to play, so it should be pretty clear that I will spend when I think it’s deserved.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

• Hobosacks

1. Inherent turret weakness
  2. Imbalance between turret pickup cooldowns vs the cooldowns of traps, aoe fields, and healing zones on other classes
  3. lack of automatic interval condition removal on engineers
  4. bandages being the thing we drop when traited on downed even tho we are stationary

the list is long.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!