Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

None that we know of. I just want to mark the 1000th reply as the saddest milestone.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eliteseraph.4970

Eliteseraph.4970

Wow…so I left GW2 around a year ago, when this thread was still fairly new. Kind of disappointing to see no change after so long.

Hobo sacks FTL! >:(

(edited by Eliteseraph.4970)

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Yeap seems we cant have nice things according to A-net. Want your LS backpack displayed? Nah.. hobosack. Want the hobosack atleast to fit your armor you worked hard for to get (or paid money for the visuals)? Nah.. lets make em brown\red to ensure it clashes really with everything. Got a legendary weapon? Heh… think again says the hobosack. Can deal with the colour, got a backpiece and atleast dont want to have a clipping galore on your back? Nope.. hobosack feels it needs to be always present. Its mocking you, laughing in silence. “So you wanna look as cool as that warrior over there? Heh.. not on my watch kittener. You KNOW you need my skills to fight effective, you are my little kitten….and i wont go away. I will be always there staring right into your face, ruining your visuals… welcome to the engi class motherkittener…hehehe”

in Engineer

Posted by: Dimes.6024

Dimes.6024

yes!!

and awaiting for 1000 reply

in Engineer

Posted by: Stallerenox.1295

Stallerenox.1295

Personally, as one thought came to me overnight: Each kit noticeably had its own trait/s for it, what if certain ones could be responsible for changing its appearance?

Bomb Kit- Forceful Explosives
Grenade Kit- Grenadier
Flamethrower- Juggernaut
Elixir Gun- Deadly Mixture (Not exclusive, close enough)
Tool Kit- Power Wrench

With all these traits targeting a single kit, what if we kept the hobosacks (but… but… hear me out now!) upon taking the trait specific to that kit, you acquire an ‘upgraded’ version of it that no longer resembled the pitiful ‘hobosack’ of old?

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

No, just give us a way to not display them.
Not just checking if another backpack is being used – but a proper option to disable them, as the aesthetical appearance of a character may be based on not having a backpack at all.
And maybe properly add the legendary effect of the equipped weapon even when a kit is being used, not just to a couple of selected skills.

in Engineer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Maybe Hobosacks are actually servants of/related to Bubbles. Hell, they look like something vomited forth from the deeps beneath …

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

im a hobby 3d artist… and i BET i can mesh something thats 100 times more appealing in less then an hour… actually lemme do that (post will be updated as soon as i got something meshed…shouldnt take long)

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

im a hobby 3d artist… and i BET i can mesh something thats 100 times more appealing in less then an hour… actually lemme do that (post will be updated as soon as i got something meshed…shouldnt take long)

Update: Here we go… i wont bother to go into more detail mesh wise.. just proving a point in how a fuel tank could look appealing and STILL be neutral enough but whatever.. a-net doesnt give a kitten anyways.

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-24159790/Hobowhatever.jpg.html

Edit: aaaaand i couldnt let it go. Since engineer stuff is charr stuff i “charrified” it a little.. and right away added a fitting flamer. So yea… now i got my inner peace

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-24161717/Hobowhatever-with-flamer.jpg.html

(edited by Basaltface.2786)

in Engineer

Posted by: Kande.1930

Kande.1930

Update: Here we go… i wont bother to go into more detail mesh wise.. just proving a point in how a fuel tank could look appealing and STILL be neutral enough but whatever.. a-net doesnt give a kitten anyways.

Edit: aaaaand i couldnt let it go. Since engineer stuff is charr stuff i “charrified” it a little.. and right away added a fitting flamer. So yea… now i got my inner peace

10/10 nice work sir. Best part is no ugly looking rag is attached to the back of it.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

10/10 nice work sir. Best part is no ugly looking rag is attached to the back of it.

well.. textured it would look somewhat arround the “usual” way charr stuff looks…
aka like this stuff here

http://gw2.game-guide.fr/files/2012/08/Charr-artisanat.jpg

but heh.. waste of time. Glad you like it though

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

That’s lovely and all, but it’s still forcing visuals on me that I would rather be able to choose.

If they changed the hobosacks to be super awesome looking, that WOULD NOT fix the problem. It’s still forcing visuals in a game where visuals are the only end game rewards. It’s only made much worse because not only are they forced, they’re ugly as sin.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Basaltface’s 1 hour work makes me sad. Makes me wonder how much… “effort” was put into the hobosacks at all.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Basaltface’s 1 hour work makes me sad. Makes me wonder how much… “effort” was put into the hobosacks at all.

if you ask me… not longer then 30 min..for all of them (including the weapons if available)

in Engineer

Posted by: Hexyn.8462

Hexyn.8462

I think they only look at suggestions over 1000 replies.. salvation is near!

————-
Piken Square

in Engineer

Dimes.6024

we need more replies!

in Engineer

Eliteseraph.4970

Ok…so I can understand that the devs want there to be some kind of visual representation for what toolkit your engineer is currently using. That makes a kind of sense. What I don’t understand is why that necessitates giant hobo-packs.

The flamethrower and elixir-gun could both easily work exactly as they are with just the rifle. Remove the backpack entirely from the kit, and allow engineers to display their normal back graphic. Why is this a problem? Why can’t this be arranged as a checkbox display in the equipment page?

Mines, nades, toolkit, and bombs could easily also be represented with hand-held items. The game already supports carrying various items in either one or both hands, including giant bombs, chickens, sticks, rocks, and any number of other items. Engineers could be seen carrying a giant bomb in both hands, stick grenades ala world war 2 style, wrenches, bandages, or maybe a giant syringe for the medkit(some people might not care for it).

I really don’t understand why it’s such a huge issue to give players such a simple graphical option when they’ve been clamoring for it since launch!

(edited by Eliteseraph.4970)

in Engineer

Posted by: Mayonnaise.9624

Mayonnaise.9624

Keep this bumped.

I will keep linking this thread to various forums, Reddit etc. and hopefully turn off some potential customers. Buyers deserve answers and not silent treatment.

“It’s Raining Lootbags! Hallelujah!
It’s Raining FSP Golems! Amen!”
– The Weather Girls

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Ok…so I can understand that the devs want there to be some kind of visual representation for what toolkit your engineer is currently using. That makes a kind of sense. What I don’t understand is why that necessitates giant hobo-packs.

The flamethrower and elixir-gun could both easily work exactly as they are with just the rifle. Remove the backpack entirely from the kit, and allow engineers to display their normal back graphic. Why is this a problem? Why can’t this be arranged as a checkbox display in the equipment page?

Mines, nades, toolkit, and bombs could easily also be represented with hand-held items. The game already supports carrying various items in either one or both hands, including giant bombs, chickens, sticks, rocks, and any number of other items. Engineers could be seen carrying a giant bomb in both hands, stick grenades ala world war 2 style, wrenches, bandages, or maybe a giant syringe for the medkit(some people might not care for it).

I really don’t understand why it’s such a huge issue to give players such a simple graphical option when they’ve been clamoring for it since launch!

In addition, some of the sacks are nearly identical, to the point that the only thing distinguishing Bombkit (I think, it’s been a while) and Toolkit is the wrench.

I think it’d be nice if they’d A ) improve the sacks to begin with (maybe they should hire Basaltface for the project) and B ) provide the option to not have the sacks, such as by giving more distinct ‘weapon’ objects.

My suggestions for distinct weapon objects:
Larger wrench for Tool Kit, with gear shield on off-hand.
Dual-wield bomb casks for Bomb Kit; possibly with a fun little ‘lit fuse’ animation in combat.
Two-handed, big grenade launcher for Grenade Kit; also makes it less ‘why can I throw those farther than I can shoot.’
Carried bandages and stimulants for Med Kit.
Flamethrower and Elixir Gun both have distinct weapons already.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

well… im bored gonna make another kit… lets go for the bomb kit next.. the most ugly one of the bunch (post will be updated if im done)

in Engineer

Eliteseraph.4970

Dual-wield bomb casks for Bomb Kit; possibly with a fun little ‘lit fuse’ animation in combat.

Two-handed, big grenade launcher for Grenade Kit; also makes it less ‘why can I throw those farther than I can shoot.’

I like Wrench + Gear shield for Toolkit. Would need to add maybe a slight tell for when the block was actually active?

Stick of dynamite + lighter for bomb kit? Isn’t there already a legendary torch or something that looks like a lighter?

Grenade launcher for nades seems perfect!

Medkit is the only one where I feel the backpack is kind of appropriate. But I would still prefer an option without it.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

I like Wrench + Gear shield for Toolkit. Would need to add maybe a slight tell for when the block was actually active?

Stick of dynamite + lighter for bomb kit? Isn’t there already a legendary torch or something that looks like a lighter?

Grenade launcher for nades seems perfect!

Medkit is the only one where I feel the backpack is kind of appropriate. But I would still prefer an option without it.

I think the Toolkit could probably just not be changed at all in animations, really; the current animation for the Gear Shield move is perfectly clear.

Torch and bundle of TNT would work fine for Bomb Kit.

Yeah, Medkit does seem…packish. Maybe have the character shove a First Aid Kit under their arm or something.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

well… im bored gonna make another kit… lets go for the bomb kit next.. the most ugly one of the bunch (post will be updated if im done)

There hobobombs.. that makes more sence then the current one… Simple, not many technological parts since they wouldnt serve any purpose… but heh.. atleast it got a torch.. thats something i suppose.

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-24171819/hobobombs.jpg.html

in Engineer

Dimes.6024

wow thats cool!

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

There hobobombs.. that makes more sence then the current one… Simple, not many technological parts since they wouldnt serve any purpose… but heh.. atleast it got a torch.. thats something i suppose.

Fire + explosive powder = not something I want on my back!

Seriously though, it looks nice. Again it’s not something that would fix the issue that this monstrosity of a thread has pointed out, but at least it looks cool.

Let’s not go down the road of “oh Basalt spent more time on these than the Devs! Omg they don’t care! They spent probably 30 minutes!”. It makes this whole thread lose credibility when we say things like that. Making a static 3d model is one thing, putting it into a game with animations, different character models, and attached to the use of other skills is another thing entirely.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Let’s not go down the road of “oh Basalt spent more time on these than the Devs! Omg they don’t care! They spent probably 30 minutes!”. It makes this whole thread lose credibility when we say things like that. Making a static 3d model is one thing, putting it into a game with animations, different character models, and attached to the use of other skills is another thing entirely.

He certainly appears to be more interested in making a quality model than they were. There’s not even ‘they were trying to optimize performance with a low poly count’ to fall back on, given the massive amount of flashy, flashy things that actually do bog down performance.
Given that, implementation is pretty much ‘if [kit equip] then [create asset at this point with these dimensions, make child of user object],’ unless Anet uses some incredibly bizarre system (given their lengthy inability to do anything about Turret issues, I wouldn’t be particularly surprised, but still). Animations even seem to ignore the hobosack part of the kit, aside from things like ‘this one belt reacts when you jump,’ which is pretty much just ‘this part is affected by the physics engine.’ Nobody reaches into them for anything, they don’t collide with anything, nothing happens to them, as far as I can tell, except gravity, maybe. Oh, and that incredibly annoying, stupid issue where back items clip through them on skill use, that nobody’s fixed, or even seems to care about
Replacing the old hobosacks with Basalt’s models would likely consist of importing the relevant assets, and then adjusting the code so that it looks for the new assets instead of the old ones, spawning them with the proper dimensions and location.

In short: Basalt’s definitely making better, more distinct and interesting models than the devs did, and they were getting paid for it.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Fire + explosive powder = not something I want on my back!

Seriously though, it looks nice. Again it’s not something that would fix the issue that this monstrosity of a thread has pointed out, but at least it looks cool.

well obviosly thats not my intention man…lets just say thats my way to bump. And actually to put that into the game isnt as hard as you think it is. I could bother to map, texture and skin it anytime but i dont have the skeleton and base mesh of the gw2 char models. I also cant extract them from the game files myself.. cause that goes beyond my knowledge. But yea..IF i could do that\have the skeleton and base mesh in my possession i easily could replace the in game models on my client. Still wouldnt solve anything though.. but heh im not a magican XD

edit: as for the texture.. id need a “sample” of the existing game ones aswell but like they are in the engine.. ya know for bump\glow\minimaps and file format (i assume its TGA but guessing doesnt heelp)

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

And here.. my personal most hated (visual) kit… ol´hobocannon. The e-cannon is in my eyes a potion brewer\tank and a rather precise rifle…since it shoots tranquilizer darts as auto attack. Its other skills (cept the acid bomb) also get fired from the same barrel… yet WHERE are the hoses OR the darn tranquilizer darts? (or decent textures cause the entire thing is blurry as hell) Whatever.. thats my depiction. Slender rifle and sturdy looking cooker.

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-24176094/hobocannon.jpg.html

Why do i even do this? XD

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

Its your way to bump.

I must say though that i dont like the idea of massive tanks and cookers on my back either. Anything that makes me look like i should fall over from the weight on my back. Ever seen a slender human female mesmer with the most massive bulky spade-like greatsword?

Thats part of my problem really. The sacks on the back pretty much requires bulky armor to look borderline passable. The orrian temple armor is probably the best for it as far as style goes. And thats reasonable i guess, given that the human/norn presentation armor on character creation shows the temple armors.

But its just one armor set. And it doesnt even look technology-themed. Not when you have aetherblade and magi-tech, or hell, even CoE medium armor.

But the lack of tech-themed armor options i can understand, there are 7 more classes that must be pleased. What i cant accept is the detriment to any aesthetic choice, that is forced on us based on the most stupid reasons, and left on us purely out of indifference.

in Engineer

Posted by: Frvwfr.4307

Frvwfr.4307

I find it sad that a game developer posted a reply to this thread ONE YEAR AGO saying they were aware and working on a fix, to this day I have not seen any changes. Thanks again Anet for your resounding support of the forums.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Its your way to bump.

I must say though that i dont like the idea of massive tanks and cookers on my back either. Anything that makes me look like i should fall over from the weight on my back. Ever seen a slender human female mesmer with the most massive bulky spade-like greatsword?

Thats part of my problem really. The sacks on the back pretty much requires bulky armor to look borderline passable. The orrian temple armor is probably the best for it as far as style goes. And thats reasonable i guess, given that the human/norn presentation armor on character creation shows the temple armors.

But its just one armor set. And it doesnt even look technology-themed. Not when you have aetherblade and magi-tech, or hell, even CoE medium armor.

But the lack of tech-themed armor options i can understand, there are 7 more classes that must be pleased. What i cant accept is the detriment to any aesthetic choice, that is forced on us based on the most stupid reasons, and left on us purely out of indifference.

Well i personally love the overall idea behind the kits. Got yer backpack with your stuff and a fitting weapon in the hand. What i dont like is the poor visuals on said backpacks and weapons AND that you cant toggle the backpack if you dont want it (aswell beeing unable to holster the kit´s weapon. Is like an ele could never put his staff or whatever away)

The lack of tech armor is another pet peeve of mine.. ESPECIALLY cause i came to play a charr engineer. Saw the iron legion engineers in the game? CULTURAL T1 LIGHT ARMOR wtf a-net. Where is the kittening tech? Where are the turning gears? Where are the steam pipes? Where are the utility belts with potions and tools, pouches etc? Where are some back item skins that make sence for engineer? (like two or 3 turrets with a fitting frame to hold em ,dont worry.. eventually ill make a model of that too) Why only 4 monocles? Why only 1 pair of oversized goggles? Man.. engineer type armors is somewhere where you can shine sooo brightly if you want to. So many possible designs.. but nope.. gotta have a kittening coat cause it would be a sin to be more creative then this (counts for the kittening medium armors in general, thiefes and rangers got the same bullkitten). And if gears are not your thing.. man i could think of a ton of magitech\asura esque designs aswell..but nah… who kittening cares about the engineer class.. ONE OF THE TWO CLASSES they said they COULDNT ship the game without and pretty much the class who makes all the nice things like airships, tanks, mortars, anything asura shenanigan related… etc…etc possible to be even in the game and make sence. (other one is guardian in case you dunno)

Sorry.. needed to get that out of my system..

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

in Engineer

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

Very great work there, it would be alsome to have any of those on my back!

But them site pop-ups. Got another site (like imgur or similar) without them pop-ups?

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Very great work there, it would be alsome to have any of those on my back!

But them site pop-ups. Got another site (like imgur or similar) without them pop-ups?

i usually got my popup blocker on so i really dont notice when i upload something to a page (just picked the first one i found XD) but i´ll use imgur for the future then

in Engineer

Eastcorn.5901

Looks nice, but I’d much rather be able to show my backpieces.

Excellent work nonetheless.

in Engineer

Posted by: Athel.2076

Athel.2076

Wow, this is fantastic! I’d still want a visual toggle, but your work is great!

You should do some armor for charr and asura that doesn’t have tail/ear/horns clipping too while you’re at it. Heck, it can’t hurt to try having an influence, right?

Two thumbs up from this charr player anyway!

Ice dragon, fire dragon, risen dead from Orr,
branded creature, icebrood creature, war war war.
mel: Soft kitty.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Wow, this is fantastic! I’d still want a visual toggle, but your work is great!

You should do some armor for charr and asura that doesn’t have tail/ear/horns clipping too while you’re at it. Heck, it can’t hurt to try having an influence, right?

Two thumbs up from this charr player anyway!

If id had the in game models id make armor for them anytime.. so yea if anybody can extract the darn models from the game, got a link with them (or tell me how id do that myself) i surely could come up with something for each race…and even if its just to kitten arround for fun

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

(posted in wrong forum) >_<

in Engineer

Dimes.6024

9 replies to go

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Make that eight, I guess – do they really only look at suggestions with 1k replies? That’s silly, but somehow I have trouble properly doubting it.

in Engineer

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

no dev is ever going to look at this thread or if they do they’ll never respond. not at 1k responds not at 10k not at 100k. there are not enough people playing engineer to produce enough revenue for anet to care.
yes, a simple and fast fix would make people play engineer as well as more existing engineer players spend money in the gemshop but everytime i imagine someone at anet having a single coherent thought it makes me laugh.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bluesman.8350

Bluesman.8350

Think this might be my first post, I’ve owned GW2 since it was released and I just wanted to add my voice to the calls for a way to remove or hide the hobosack.
My first character was an Engineer. Didn’t last long, just the look put me off. I made another. A Norn, got that one to 80. Now I’ve made a third engineer. A human and this is one of my favourite characters and maybe my favourite class, I don’t see why we are burdened with these ugly packs that hide any of the cool back pieces we can earn. The elementalist has only a small graphic for their attunments so the idea of it being for identifying skills in PVP doesn’t hold water. Besides to see the pack you need to be behind me and I won’t want you behind me.
Wow more longwinded than I intended so thanks for reading.

(edited by Bluesman.8350)

in Engineer

Posted by: Dray.5497

Dray.5497

Please,

Every time I equip my grenade kit, all the girls laugh at me. Whenever I equip my elixir gun, everyone gives me dirty looks. Everyone laughs at and ridicules me behind my back whenever they see my blade pack clip through my backpack.

I’m afraid I can’t go on living like this. Knowing that I’ll have this big burlap parasite attached to my back at all times. You’ve brought me to this, Anet.

/ded

Tarnished Coast
Main: Andreigh (80 Human Engineer)
Alts: Kuliae (80 Sylvari Warrior), Gwynli (80 Asura Thief)

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

On the top of the page you go

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Dimes.6024

Yep, and 3 replys to go

in Engineer

Posted by: gartz.7013

gartz.7013

comment……………

solo cheese engi/ex teef

in Engineer

Eastcorn.5901

The strongest comment

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

Once we reach 1000 replies, we should make another suggestion.

Let us suggest ANet to make an all-time statistical analysis about all the threads on the official forum since release.

Fastest growing thread, most response thread before closing, longest going active thread – time length(wink), longest going active thread – response count, top reason for closing threads, and so on.

Just out of curiosity of course. Maybe nominate or make bets before its done ^^

in Engineer

Posted by: velhavn.7694

velhavn.7694

wohooo 1000 post…..

in Engineer

Dimes.6024

so, nothing happend