Hope for a kitless build

Hope for a kitless build

in Engineer

Posted by: MusicMuse.5749

MusicMuse.5749

The problem lies with how engineer kits work at the moment. The bomb, grenade, and flamethrower kits in particular seem to be the most popular, and to the people who enjoy them, please realize that this is just from my perspective.

The flamethrower is fine when you want to attack stationary mobs and/or mobs that are focused on other people. Problems arise when you try to kite them, attacking foes behind you causes most attacks to miss, and most of the attacks seem to be focused on keeping your foes in front of you. Saddly, GW2 currently does not work like this in reality as the game forces you to kite mobs if you dont want to die a quick death. Otherwise the kit seems to be okay, as the last time i played gw2 it was mentioned to be extremely high dps.

Both the bomb kit and grenade kit essentially suffer from the same frustrating downfall: delay time. Bombs obviously have a fuse time, but for some unknown reason engineers have to lob the grenades high up into the air before they land, most of the time this results in a much longer delay time till detonation than bombs. And as with flamethrower grenades suffer while attacking moving foes, albeit it is easier to kite with than flamethrower, while bombs will sometimes detonate after the enemy has moved out of range.

I recognize that alot of the above problems can be improved on by practice or by choosing traits. And while i dont believe that one should have to spend trait slots just so that weapons will become NOT frustrating, I also recognize that there is some balance issues happening. None of these things, however, would mean much to me if it was not for my next point.

Weapon kits look very stupid. Not necessarily the weapons themselves, but the backpack you are forced to wear while using them. That amorphous blob of dirty white cloth that somewhat resembles whatever kit you are using. These packs almost completely eclipse your actual character and ruin any form of artisic aesthetics you tried so hard to achieve. This is the main reason why I choose to either play kitless or not play engineer at all…because I look like a moron and Im constantly being frustrated by them.

So if there is any build out there (preferably rifle, I love the rifle) that provides the aforementioned lack of blob-toting ragepacks Id be extremely happy to try them out!

Hope for a kitless build

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Rifle/Static Discharge. 30 pts into Tools, Static Discharge trait; 30pts in Firearms, buff your rifle. Skills: Goggles, ToolKit yes i know, I’ll get to that), and Rocket Boots/Rifle Turret.

You’ll spend 99% of your time with your rifle out, spamming your toolbelt/SDs and controlling your enemy.

Toolkit you bring for its low cooldown toolbelt skill. Also, it has some nice utility (shield, magnet) if needed.

Rocket Boot or Rifle Turret have low cooldown toolbelt skills. RT is lower and a projectile finisher, but I prefer RB due to a hard-hitting burn and an escape. Only time I use RT is when I need the range.

MedKit to heal, thanks to your 30pts in Tools it has a low cooldown too.

I love the Firearms traits Sitting Duck & Mod Ammo. They help control and deal nice bonus damage.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Hope for a kitless build

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

a rifle static discharge build can work without kits.

You could combine the rifle with Healing Turret, Rifle turret, Battering ram, Net turret…
Throw mine could work well, rocket boots, slick shoes…

Take the Sitting Duck trait, and of course the Static Discharge trait.

Other than those improve your rifle and get some utility from Alchemy traits, or more Tools traits.
Or improve your Turrets from Inventions trait line. But be warned: not only turrets are very buggy, their traits aren’ that great either.
For Turrets I personally consider accelerant packed turrets (20 Explosives) and deployable turrets (Tools) the most usefull. Not the traits in Inventions…

Not that a Static discharge build needs turret traits to work at all.

Putting points in Tools gives you lower toolbelt skill cooldowns, which result in more static discharges.
Not to mention more crit damage
(edit: see how Seras above me puts 30 points in Tools for these reasons)

For a random idea of such a build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUlIqyV3yy2F17IyIFkGnFSB+dfgeYX+1IC

There are plenty of other versions, I simply threw one together that appeared fun to me

Difference between my version and the above example: mine has more speed and the healing turret resets at 25%
Seras described the higher burst standard SD-burst build…
I avoided all kits, so the med kit included!
But when putting 15 points in Tools anyhow, med kit big heal resets at 25%.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

Hope for a kitless build

in Engineer

Posted by: Tutankhamun.3679

Tutankhamun.3679

Static discharge rifle. The bread and butter of engineer burst. I run a 0/20/0/20/30 with knights armor, ascended cavalier, and a zerker back. Take utility goggles, tool kit, and rifle turret. And heal turret or med kit.

Yes even though it uses a kit its not your main focus though you will find great uses for the magnet shield and pry bar.

Hope for a kitless build

in Engineer

MusicMuse.5749

I was browsing the forums just now and I saw plenty of mention about the HGH builds that can also be used in PVE. In the common opinion which build is more viable/does more actual damage: SD or HGH? Also there are the two kits I mind the least, and that is the Tool Kit and Elixer Gun. They are both somewhat fun to me, but limited in application when I play solo. However Im seeing things that are saying that the tool kit is totally overpowered now (did it get a buff since i was away?) which says to me that I may wanna use that kit more often.

Hope for a kitless build

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Tool kit works for sure in a SD build, and it’s even used in HGH versions who got tired of grenades…
It’s the one kit you need to consider for a ‘kitless’ build indeed

SD = higher burst, bit more squishy
HGH = full condition burning down, currently the strongest pvp overall pressure option

Thing is: HGH = pistols, in the most used versions.
Since you mentioned the rifle, no one would suggest an HGH build at all.

For an HGH build to work you obviously need elixirs, and no elixirs have short enough cooldowns to make a Static discharge version viable.
Not to mention the fact thrown elixirs are aoe and static discharge is annoying on an aoe skill. It only works reliable on direct targeted skills with short cooldowns.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

Hope for a kitless build

in Engineer

MusicMuse.5749

Im not against pistols, its just that rifles have been my preferred weapon last time I played, although I really did hate how they were hip fired.

Hope for a kitless build

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Im not against pistols, its just that rifles have been my preferred weapon last time I played, although I really did hate how they were hip fired.

Don’t be mislead by the name. We call them ‘rifles’ out of blind hope, but they aren’t really rifles. We throw grenades farther than we can shoot with those things, and their abilities are blunderbus abilities, not rifle abilities.

What Engineers call ‘rifles’ are actually ‘shotguns’ or more accurately ‘blunderbusses’.

Wouldn’t it be nice if one day the Gods of ANet replaced our ‘rifles’ with shotguns and then let us have access to real rifles?

Hope for a kitless build

in Engineer

Posted by: elithrar.7143

elithrar.7143

What Engineers call ‘rifles’ are actually ‘shotguns’ or more accurately ‘blunderbusses’. Wouldn’t it be nice if one day the Gods of ANet replaced our ‘rifles’ with shotguns and then let us have access to real rifles?

Unlikely. They’re just rifles as Warriors use them too, and it was likely (much) easier to do the art & models for one lot of weapons rather than two. Weapons tied to a single class also get a lot of whiners on forums, so they likely saved themselves some hassle there too

[TKG] Mollify