How Do You Think Gyros Can Be Improved?

in Engineer

Posted by: Arimas.3492

Arimas.3492

So I watched the POI about the Scrapper, I was fairly impressed with the hammer and the Gyros looked cool but in reality, IMHO they really suck.

All of the following suggestions are my opinions

My ideas for improving the Gyros:

For the record I think that these Gyros, all of them, should be immune to conditions and not be able to crit. I’d love if they were totally immune to all damage, but could still be CC’d. Being that they have a short time out in the world I don’t think its fair to have them able to be cleaved to death. Just look at turrets, they can take condi damage and direct, they’re pretty much useless.

1. Medic Gyro – It’s currently pretty weak mainly because of the way it heals. A 2.5k heal on activation then 800 every 3 seconds for allies as well in the 300 radius. The concept it overall good but the time in between the heals is bad. If it did the same healing it does now but instead heals 800 health every 1 second it would be worth taking. As it stands the good ol’ healing turret will still be the best choice.

2. Bulwark Gyro – Also a decent skill in concept, who doesn’t like taking less damage? The main problem is that it takes damage for you AND allies in the radius. There are no current numbers but in the stream the turret took about 4,000 damage at one point and the health bar ended there at about 66%, so it seems like the gyros have 12,000 health total. If that’s the case, then in any more than 1v1 the Bulwark Gyro completely fails. In a PvP scenario you’re on a point in a 3v3, as soon as you pop this gyro it will most likely die instantly because it just now took 50% of the damage from 3 players.

My suggestion would be to either greatly increase the health pool, maybe 30,000, or make it take no damage at all from cleaving or AoE’s and only take the damage from things affecting you (even still that last suggestion is meh).

3. Blast Gyro Tag – I don’t like the way this gyro works at all really, the dart projectile is a silly idea IMO and seems like it will be hard to tag anyway, plus is can be intercepted. Even if you do make contact now the enemy is prepared for what’s coming and can easily dodge the gyro.

My fix would be make the gyro not have to throw a dart at a target but just to call out the target itself. So you’d cast it and then the gyro pops out and does its thing. Another solution is maybe make it ground targeted that way at least you can anticipate where the enemy is going and deliver the payload.

4. Shredder Gyro – This is probably the worst one of all of them. It has extremely low damage and is basically a whirl machine that stays on one spot. Whirl finishers are very random already and unless it shot a bolt every .1 second it still might not be good. A fix I had in mind would to make this an enemy targeted skill, and when its on the enemy it follows as they move and applies bleed. I’d say keep the whirl finisher on it, I don’t think it would make it too OP with those changes.

5. Purge Gyro – This is decent at best, remove 2 conditions every 3 seconds, and then it goes to allies to do the same. What I don’t like is it physically goes to an ally and purges the condis on that ally alone. IMO it should be an AoE purge and not have to go to an ally at all. Its a pretty nice sustain condition remover, but most of the time in PvP/WvW conditions come in bursts. so you’ll get 4+ conditions at one time. I can’t see this being taken over Elixir C for removal. Another change maybe it removes 5 on activation and 1 every 3 seconds. That would be good for a burst, then sustain afterwards.

6. Sneak Gyro – OMG LONG STEALTH HOLY CRA..oh wait, the Gyro remains visible? What’s the point then? Especially since this specialization is seemingly PvP oriented, why make it so the enemy knows exactly where you are? The stealth is great and very long but I think the Gyro should be stealthed as well. In this case if the Gyro is also stealthed, I think the duration should be lowered to 15 seconds. If the gyro should remain visible, maybe increase the radius of the effect to 450 or 600 (as it seems the Gyro has following problems anyway), or make the gyro stealth for 1 application on, then 1 off. so at least you can move around without the enemy knowing where you are, then the gyro pops out for a few seconds and goes away again. Some counterplay is there but its still effective.

Overall the Toolbelts are pretty good, I know I’ll probably be taking Bulwark just for the reflect bubble alone, as that is amazing in WvW. The Purge Gyro toolbelt is meh for me, we already have good access to poison and 1 field for it with mortar, I don’t think we need it on this toolbelt.

Thanks for reading! Please post your suggestions for improvement as well!

in Engineer

Posted by: SuicideFall.3697

SuicideFall.3697

They shouldn’t be vulnerable to damage at all, change them so that they act passively like signets or make them have limited cast times while being susceptible to cc. I cant believe it was said from day #1 that no one wanted to see more useless AI but they still shove it in our faces.

As long as they can be damaged they wont be able to balance these properly across 3 game modes and when it comes to functionality elixirs currently do a lot of the same things better since they can’t be destroyed.

(edited by SuicideFall.3697)

in Engineer

Posted by: Ricky Rouse.1583

Ricky Rouse.1583

Here’s how I think Blast Gyro should work:

It still suicides, but now holds 5 charges that if fires off every 2s over its 15s lifespan.

It expends one of these charges to shoot a rocket/grenade/what have you at the enemy, dealing, for example, 1k flat damage each.

When it hits 0 charges, it will begin blaring and rush at the enemy, blowing up as it does now, knocking them back slightly, dealing moderate damage.

Now here’s the caveat: You can reactivate the ability, as long as the Gyro is still alive, to prematurely cause it to rush at the enemy. It will then explode, dealing damage based on how many charges are left, probably like 500 additional flat damage per charge.

This creates a dynamic: You can use it instantly for burst, or allow it to live, risking it being destroyed, to deal more damage over time and therefore have more “value”.

Better than it just blowing up as it does now, anyways.

(edited by Ricky Rouse.1583)

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

Reduce Medic Gyro cd to 15 seconds. There is no point having it at 30s.