How are Engineers - mobility wise

in Engineer

Posted by: Black Cat.1024

Black Cat.1024

Hey guys, I’m Black Cat from the thief forum and I wanted your opinion on something.
From your WvW and PvE open world experience, how mobile are you? I’m not referring to perma-swiftness because I know it can be achieved with speedy kits, but rather micro management during combat, leaps (?) and such. Also, how much does 50% faster endurance regen give you? For example with the thief trait that gives you some endurance back after each dodge, we can dodge around 3 times in a row, 2 immediately and 1,1/2 a sec later.
So yeah, these are my questions, thanks!

Edit: P.S. From experience, how much does the 25% seed boost in combat help?

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Well leap from rifle is pretty sux for escaping due to animation delays, 50% endurance regent works like permanent Vigor (and dont stack with them). Recently changed Rocket Boots incredibly boost up our mobility especialy if you use it with swiftness or even better with Superspeed. 25% Speed boost can be good to negate combat speed slowing but noone use it because there much more usefull traits.
Enginner is pretty good with mobility imo but we will never achieve that insane mobility of Thieves.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Is anything as mobile as thieves?
Especially in combat?

My engineer is as fast as our fastest ele in the group when moving about.
In combat I hop all over the place.

But am I as mobile as a thief in combat?
Heck no…

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

You misunderstand me. I’m not asking if engineers are as mobile as thieves, because obviously ANet made thieves to be the most mobile class. This is not a comparison thread, just a question. How mobile is the engineer?
How do you utilize in combat mobility, and how do you utilize out of combat mobility?

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

As for some details:
the vigor on swiftness (10 point trait) is more usefull than the 30 point trait of 50% faster endurance regen.
Well, if you use kits with speedy kits…
Neither actually ammount to 3 dodges back to back, they simply give you less time between your normal double dodges.

By the way: if you use kits in pvp, you’ll swap often anyhow. Speedy Kits isn’t about micro-manangement so much. It more comes naturally as a bonus when using kits as they seem to be designed: swap in and out quite often.

25 % speed in combat is usefull because of the combat speed reduction. But that trait is in an odd place, only a few builds actually use 20 points or more in Inventions (healing bombs support build being the most prominent one, turret sillyness being the odd one )
Silly thing: if using healing bombs and the 25% speed boost… you run out of every single heal bomb range! You do that on normal speed already for most, add 25% speed and you’re long gone by the time the bomb heals…

For mobility Rocket Boots is one of the most fun and usefull abilities.
They no longer break stun, but they still free you of immobilise, cripple and chill.
Especially in WvW they shine: there the cc locks you in place before the stun hits you.
Rocket boots are the major life saver in WvW when a big group hits you.
Now that they move you forward, you can even aim to reach a keep door with it, and almost roll inside

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

You misunderstand me. I’m not asking if engineers are as mobile as thieves, because obviously ANet made thieves to be the most mobile class. This is not a comparison thread, just a question. How mobile is the engineer?
How do you utilize in combat mobility, and how do you utilize out of combat mobility?

was typing the more usefull answer as you replied already
I know my first post was too general for what you were asking, my bad.

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

My conclusion on the best mobility options for WvW and pve to a lesser extend:

1. rocket boots, simply love those
2. speedy kits, in and out of combat this shines since I Always use at least one damage kit.
3. Invigorating speed to couple with speedy kits. This one can be made up by other things (like shield and tool kit blocks etc…) that’s why I consider it the last of the 3.
Some wouldn’t live without it, mind you. I put it last as a personal playstyle choice.

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

was typing the more usefull answer as you replied already
I know my first post was too general for what you were asking, my bad.

Just read it, thanks!
This helps a lot. I’m looking for a alt character as playing one character gets repetitive. Also, in contrast to popular belief, the thief skill cap is actually pretty low, so I was looking for a character that I would be comfortable with mobility wise – because what I’m used to, and also has a larger skill cap. Obviously, the skill cap is what brought me here, haha.
So now I’m on a mobility search, and that’s what brought me here.

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

2. speedy kits, in and out of combat this shines since I Always use at least one damage kit.
3. Invigorating speed to couple with speedy kits. This one can be made up by other things (like shield and tool kit blocks etc…) that’s why I consider it the last of the 3.
Some wouldn’t live without it, mind you. I put it last as a personal playstyle choice.

And this brings me to another question!
Does “Invigorating Speed” stack with “Adrenal Implant”? Or does this just go by the vigor usage as it’s regeneration is higher?

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Does “Invigorating Speed” stack with “Adrenal Implant”? Or does this just go by the vigor usage as it’s regeneration is higher?

they don’t stack…
Vigor overrides it indeed.
The only saving grace for the 30 point trait is that vigor is a removable boon, that that 50% trait is not. But to be honest: no one cares

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

they don’t stack…
Vigor overrides it indeed.
The only saving grace for the 30 point trait is that vigor is a removable boon, that that 50% trait is not. But to be honest: no one cares

Got it, thanks!
From your experience, how much uptime on swiftness and dodges in\out of combat? (With speedy kits)

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Got it, thanks!
From your experience, how much uptime on swiftness and dodges in\out of combat? (With speedy kits)

I would have to time the actual seconds between sets of 2 dodges with invigorating speed.
I’m sure others have done that and could answer it without needing to test first.
My builds very rarely allow me to use 10 points in Alchemy, which is unusual for most engineer builds. Alchemy is our best defense line, but I use less common experiments.

The uptime of swiftness-vigor depends entirely on the kits you use:

- a grenade build for WvW tends to stay in grenades rather long, but as you’re max range you need the speed and dodges less.

- a HGH p/p grenade build will use the pistols a lot, they swap often but only use 1 kit of course at most (rest elixirs).

- a Flamethrower coupled with an Elixir gun will swap very very often, giving you full uptime. A few use Flamethrower for longer periods, which works very well in pve.

- med kit is an in and out swapping all the time if you want to get the most of it. That one is the summum of micro-managing kits. but if you do: it’s our best self heal available (turret best group heal).
Med kit coupled with ’on heal runes) and weapon swap sigils, and maybe might proc trait, gives you loads of effects just from healing…

- no stays in Tool Kit or bomb kit for whole fights I think. Here it simply depends if you use them alone or with other kits.

long rant just to say : ‘it depends…’

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

Got it, thanks!

I would have to time the actual seconds between sets of 2 dodges with invigorating speed.
I’m sure others have done that and could answer it without needing to test first.
My builds very rarely allow me to use 10 points in Alchemy, which is unusual for most engineer builds. Alchemy is our best defense line, but I use less common experiments.

- a grenade build for WvW tends to stay in grenades rather long, but as you’re max range you need the speed and dodges less.

- a HGH p/p grenade build will use the pistols a lot, they swap often but only use 1 kit of course at most (rest elixirs).

- a Flamethrower coupled with an Elixir gun will swap very very often, giving you full uptime. A few use Flamethrower for longer periods, which works very well in pve.

- med kit is an in and out swapping all the time if you want to get the most of it. That one is the summum of micro-managing kits. but if you do: it’s our best self heal available (turret best group heal).
Med kit coupled with ’on heal runes) and weapon swap sigils, and maybe might proc trait, gives you loads of effects just from healing…

- no stays in Tool Kit or bomb kit for whole fights I think. Here it simply depends if you use them alone or with other kits.

I understand. Seeing as this is my first try I would like to run this by you.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqal0pqbn1y3F1LJyoCdGoH5VdNiiKkffUMfsFA-jEyAYrASBAJBAJvioxWFLiGruGT5SEVbwLiWtQAjWAA-w
This is me trying to spec some mobility, With a DPS based build that relies on condition duration for the 2% more damage each condition. What would you change here? My play style is very mobile, being used to the thief, so I guess I’m sacrificing some damage. On the other hand, I’m used to being squishy as a worm, so dodging is something I know how to do.

in Engineer

Posted by: Noss.4105

Noss.4105

Yeah, the uptime on vigor via speedy kits depends a lot on your build.
You can also take the “50% chance to gain swiftness on crit” from firearms, like I do with pistol builds, as I’m only using toolkit for that build.

N*** Dew Gunnar’s Hold
WvW Roaming with Mesmer

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

Yeah, the uptime on vigor via speedy kits depends a lot on your build.
You can also take the “50% chance to gain swiftness on crit” from firearms, like I do with pistol builds, as I’m only using toolkit for that build.

I’ll try that, thanks

in Engineer

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

SNIP

Got it, thanks!

With speedy kits and out of combat: 100% swiftness
With vigor-on-swiftness and out of combat: 100% vigor means twice as much as a warrior, 1.5 times as much as most rangers, but no clue how it compares to a thief with your “endurance refund” trait.

In combat it depends entirely on the build. I’ve got a grenadier build that has base ~40% crit chance and gets swiftness on crit, so it gets 100% uptime or at least very close. My bombmedic build, on the other hand, basically spends its entire time in bombkit for the AoE heals, and has no swiftness generating abilities aside from speedy kits, so it has much lower uptime. I could bring it up higher if I paid attention, but I don’t usually need the extra mobility so I don’t.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Got it, thanks!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqal0pqbn1y3F1LJyoCdGoH5VdNiiKkffUMfsFA-jEyAYrASBAJBAJvioxWFLiGruGT5SEVbwLiWtQAjWAA-w
This is me trying to spec some mobility, With a DPS based build that relies on condition duration for the 2% more damage each condition. What would you change here? My play style is very mobile, being used to the thief, so I guess I’m sacrificing some damage. On the other hand, I’m used to being squishy as a worm, so dodging is something I know how to do.

you’re mixing up 2 builds actually, and not sure to a good result

For starters: if you use FT-EG you best take the 15% damage increase from 20 points in Alchemy (deadly mixture). Neither Flamethrower nor Elixir Gun do enough damage untraited. The 15% is power damage alone by the way, not conditions.

Dual pistols work fine, but they really shine in a HGH build.

Defenitely take a sigil that procs on weapon swap or on crit. Flamethrower hits 10 times on #1 auto-attack, all of those can crit.
And when using 2 kits, you swap a lot.
Either of these will far outshine 10% bleed duration.

If you could tell us what the preference is: Flamethrower, Elixir gun, or mostly pistols..; we can help with defining the build more.
You can still keep all of these, but your traits need some more direction to make the build work optimal. hence the question where to put the emphasis.

Last note, bit disapointing:
runes of Lyssa do not recognise our Supply crate as an elite… probably because it’s ‘outside’ of the engineer character itself.
Welcome to the engineer bug list

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

Got it, thanks!

you’re mixing up 2 builds actually, and not sure to a good result

For starters: if you use FT-EG you best take the 15% damage increase from 20 points in Alchemy (deadly mixture). Neither Flamethrower nor Elixir Gun do enough damage untraited. The 15% is power damage alone by the way, not conditions.

Dual pistols work fine, but they really shine in a HGH build.

Defenitely take a sigil that procs on weapon swap or on crit. Flamethrower hits 10 times on #1 auto-attack, all of those can crit.
And when using 2 kits, you swap a lot.
Either of these will far outshine 10% bleed duration.

If you could tell us what the preference is: Flamethrower, Elixir gun, or mostly pistols..; we can help with defining the build more.
You can still keep all of these, but your traits need some more direction to make the build work optimal. hence the question where to put the emphasis.

runes of Lyssa do not recognise our Supply crate as an elite… probably because it’s ‘outside’ of the engineer character itself.

I was actually wondering about the weapon swap, thanks for clearing that up. Where should I take the points from for the 15% damage increase? Too bad about the elite, what would you recommend?

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

And I didn’t answer your question. I’m open to suggestions but I guess I was aiming for a P/P and elixir gun swap most of the time.

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

You seem to go for a power build?
If so, consider the rifle because pistols scream condition damage, while rifle shouts power.

On a power build, the burning on crit is less important.
Rocket Boots toolbelt skill, and Flamethrower toolbelt skill can give you enough burning to keep the 10% damage boost for Flamethrower #1 as you engage the fight.
Use FT toolbelt long before the fight, so it stays as a buff and the cooldown is almost done when the fight starts, for another use.
This means you can do without the trait that gives burning on crit.

If it’s about the coolness of the flamethrower, than consider Juggernaut. It gives 6 stacks of might utterly untraited or unsupported by runes.

If yes to the Juggernaut, consider 3 pairs of might duration runes (2 of a different set for 2 set bonus stacking).

If going power-might, Flamethrower mayhem, ask yourself why you want the Elixir Gun.
Possible answers are: it gives a stunbreaker in the toolbelt. It gives condition cleansing in the #5 super elixir.
But damage wise in a power build, only #4 will land IF you manage to keep your enemy in it first!

You could use Slick Shoes instead of EG for maximum mobility, or net turret (do take sitting duck trait if at all posible than), mines for more knockback…
First answer the question for yourself on Elixir Gun or not, than take it from there.

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

And I didn’t answer your question. I’m open to suggestions but I guess I was aiming for a P/P and elixir gun swap most of the time.

that’s a conditon build, and changes everything
Can work great as a mixed build with FT indeed.

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

in Engineer

Posted by: Macros.6120

Macros.6120

Heh… I just had an idea for a gimmick power build with Coated Bullets. Inspired by the time I gunned down three people trying to rally a fourth with nothing but the exponentially increasing number of explosions.

Beyond The Wall [Crow]
Gandara

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

I see what you’re getting at.. Ok, lets try a condi high evasive build. Where do I start?

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Heh… I just had an idea for a gimmick power build with Coated Bullets. Inspired by the time I gunned down three people trying to rally a fourth with nothing but the exponentially increasing number of explosions.

This is last night’s experiment for me:
bit odd, as usual, but it was fun

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqelIqaZ37ynF1LJx4DdO8B8DShe57HFyttA-jkxAYLACEARAM5XEN2ScR0YV1ER1CBMaBA-w

(don’t mind the runes and gear, just filled in general stuff.)

Main hand pistol is never going to kill someone on it’s own, so it’s not about condi damage. just the utility and coated bullets to hit groups with.

The obvious choice would be to take grenades instead of mine and go 30 Exploisves and maybe even 30 Inventions for healing bombs (something I ran for a while in fact).

but like you, I wanted a piercing shots build without being an actual condition build

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

I see what you’re getting at.. Ok, lets try a condi high evasive build. Where do I start?

I switched it up a bit.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqal0pqbn1y3F1LJxoCdG0j8WX8KSR+x8nCsF-jUyAYLhQSUAJCI5wioxWaRrvERjqbMdMRUt5uIa1CBMaBA-w

What’s wrong now? haha, I’m actually enjoying this, It’s been a long time since I’ve played a class I didn’t know like the back of my hand.

in Engineer

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Better than mesmer, necromancer, ranger (ranged), and guardian.

Worse than Warrior, thief, and ranger (melee).

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

this is more or less a common HGH build I think:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqalspCYnvSiF87IyoCdmoH5HlNZfe8WpFEC-jUxAYLACEQyvIasl4ioxqqJiqFCY0CA-w

grenades…
The elite can be supply crate, I took the elixir X because it adds another elixir for HGH and condi cleansing. This one works with Lyssa by the way BUT it removes the stability from the elixir and replaces it with the shorter stability of Lyssa!
So still not good

Never seen a HGH Elixir Gun build, but i’ll make one for you anyhow

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqalspCYnvSiF87IyoCdmoH5HlNZfe8WpFEC-jUxAYLACEQyvIasl4ioxqqJiqFCY0CA-w

grenades…
The elite can be supply crate, I took the elixir X because it adds another elixir for HGH and condi cleansing. This one works with Lyssa by the way BUT it removes the stability from the elixir and replaces it with the shorter stability of Lyssa!
So still not good

Now I see why the HGH builds are so powerful. Wow. But I actually like the kits a lot more than elixirs. So If I’m going for condition this would be a must?

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

I switched it up a bit.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqal0pqbn1y3F1LJxoCdG0j8WX8KSR+x8nCsF-jUyAYLhQSUAJCI5wioxWaRrvERjqbMdMRUt5uIa1CBMaBA-w

What’s wrong now? haha, I’m actually enjoying this, It’s been a long time since I’ve played a class I didn’t know like the back of my hand.

I would take Juggernaut over napalm specialist (even though that’s a good trait), or replace one of the ‘Trigger’ traits. Because let’s face it: if you swap from FT to EG to dual pistol… you’ll never use all the cooldowns to their fullest.

And Deadly Mixture over Blood Injection, since your vitality is a bit low anyhow.
Yes, that’s power damage instead of condittion… but with FT it ends up a mixed build anyhow.

Runes of the undeath are a cheap and good toughness-condi build option.

2 battle sigils don’t stack, and with high crit you can take earth or battle. But you’ll need a second sigil with no cooldown at all (5% crit, even more burning duration to reach 33% trait + 10% sigil + 10% Explosives Traitline use)
For example: 33% trait 10% sigil 10% Explosives 10% from one Givers weapon + 40% food = 100% burning duration added !
(103% but it caps at 100…)

Gratz by the way, you arrived at a balanced FT-EG p/p build

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

grenades…
So still not good

Now I see why the HGH builds are so powerful. Wow. But I actually like the kits a lot more than elixirs. So If I’m going for condition this would be a must?

HGH is our strongest build, that’s for sure. But that doesn’t mean non-HGh builds don’t work.
Especially since you mention WvW and pve.

For high level fractals and high ranked tpvp I would say HGH, and possibly a Static Discharge burst build…
But luckily not in general play.

I hate elixirs myself, don’t feel like what I want an engineer to be… so I never go HGH

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

I switched it up a bit.

I would take Juggernaut over napalm specialist (even though that’s a good trait), or replace one of the ‘Trigger’ traits. Because let’s face it: if you swap from FT to EG to dual pistol… you’ll never use all the cooldowns to their fullest.

And Deadly Mixture over Blood Injection, since your vitality is a bit low anyhow.
Yes, that’s power damage instead of condittion… but with FT it ends up a mixed build anyhow.

2 battle sigils don’t stack, and with high crit you can take earth or battle. But you’ll need a second sigil with no cooldown at all (5% crit, even more burning duration to reach 33% trait + 10% sigil + 10% Explosives Traitline use)
For example: 33% trait 10% sigil 10% Explosives 10% from one Givers weapon + 40% food = 100% burning duration added !

Haha, thanks!
So this is what I’ve arrived at: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqal0pqbn1y3F1LJxoCdG0j8WX8KSR+b8nCsF-j0yAYLEsWApKAEBQqASOsIaslW06LR0o6GTHTEVbuLiWtUAQsGA-w
I filled it all out, so tell me what you think

in Engineer

Posted by: omegajimes.2471

omegajimes.2471

I PvE mostly and I’ve found using Rocket Boots as my “GTFO” button works ok, but not great. I’ve recently started using Flamethrower/Rifle and I’ve found that using Airblast, Personal Battering Ram, Net Shot and Overcharged Shot I can control the mobs mobility in combat better than I can control mine.

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

I switched it up a bit.

Haha, thanks!
So this is what I’ve arrived at: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqal0pqbn1y3F1LJxoCdG0j8WX8KSR+b8nCsF-j0yAYLEsWApKAEBQqASOsIaslW06LR0o6GTHTEVbuLiWtUAQsGA-w

Forgot to switch “Hair Trigger” with “Rifled Barrel”

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

I switched it up a bit.

Haha, thanks!

this will work for sure.
I would still say ‘Juggernaut’ but you’ll be good without

We have a few FT adepts here on the forum, and i’m sure they’ll chip in later this evening.
They might add some details.

A few wrote guides even.
Think Nakoda and Phineas Phoe are 2 of the more vivid defenders of the Flamethrower I can remember by heart, might want to put their names in the search engine if they don’t show up here.

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

I switched it up a bit.

Haha, thanks!

this will work for sure.

We have a few FT adepts here on the forum, and i’m sure they’ll chip in later this evening.

A few wrote guides even.
Think Nakoda and Phineas Phoe are 2 of the more vivid defenders of the Flamethrower I can remember by heart, might want to put their names in the search engine if they don’t show up here.

I will, thanks for all your help!

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

I switched it up a bit.

Haha, thanks!

this will work for sure.

A few wrote guides even.

I will, thanks for all your help!

very welcome, I’m no specialist on any specific build, but I experiment with every single fun fact the engineer has to offer… and there are a ton of those, despite the bugs and damage penalties

in Engineer

Posted by: Divus.3175

Divus.3175

When fighting in huge zerg fights with ts I tend to use speedy kits with perma vigor, bomb kit, slick shoes and rocket boots. Slick shoes are awesome tool belt stun breaker, giving me a chance to get to my commander and drop water field, sometimes with rocket boots if needed. But usually I leave my rocket boots for an extra blast finisher for aoe effect (healing or swiftness).
Rifle #5 is for damage and leap finisher, not for getting anywhere fast.

[KING] Desolation – Pikan Parom (engineer), Grace Parom (ele)

in Engineer

Posted by: Macros.6120

Macros.6120

I’m not entirely sure what I’ve created... probably an abomination in the eyes of God... but here’s my attempt at a pure auto-attacking pistol build.

I didn’t want to use Static Discharge or HGH because that would take all the fun out of it.

It’s not very mobile, though, is it? Kind of got off topic...

Edit: Changed Utility Goggles to Elixir B.
Edit 2: Changed the utilities again to Elixir B/Elixir Gun/Rocket Boots. More in line with what Black Cat wanted.

Beyond The Wall [Crow]
Gandara

(edited by Macros.6120)

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

I’m not entirely sure what I’ve created… probably an abomination in the eyes of God… but here’s my attempt at a pure auto-attacking pistol build.

I didn’t want to use Static Discharge or HGH because that would take all the fun out of it.

It’s not very mobile, though, is it? Kind of got off topic…

Edit: Changed Utility Goggles to Elixir B.

I would have no clue
It is an odd one indeed.
Quite interested in any real testing results.

My first guess is: pistol main hand isn’t going to kill anyone 1v1.
Toolkit will probably do better damage… but than I would trait power wrench over Scope.
Pistol for ranged and groups, Tool Kit for melee 1v1… it could work.
Or it could not

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I would argue that Engineers have the best mobility of any profession.

Perma-swiftness
Perma-vigor
I could stop there but…
Rocket boots
Elixir Gun #4
Rifle #5
Super Speed
Lots of stun breaks
+50% endurance regen

So we’ve got almost endless dodging thanks to perma-vigor and +50% end regen, not to mention most builds have at least 1 skill to leap/escape/dash away. Rifle has an immob & a leap, shield has a knockback, FT has a knockback, ToolKit has a pull. We’ve got turrets that can immob and knock down.

Our mobility and our control, which is just as important, are incredible. Some well-timed net shot, net turret, rocket turret can just about keep your target stuck in 1 place long enough for you to kill him or at least burn through his stun breaks.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: Noss.4105

Noss.4105

The burning duration trait might be a bit overkill with Rocket Kick, Blowtorch, Incendiary Ammo and Incendiary Powder. That’s a lot of burning with pretty short cooldowns. You could put the extra 10 points into alchemy and grab Backpack regenerator for a bit more survivability.
For extra mobility use Sigil of Energy, as it gives you one extra dodge when you swap kits with 10s cooldown.

I suggest you try out both Med Kit and healing turret and find which one you like more. I love healing turret myself, since you get condi cleanse with it, and you can blast the water field from the toolbelt skill with Rocket Boots for extra healing.

N*** Dew Gunnar’s Hold
WvW Roaming with Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Speedy Kits trait for perma-swiftness out of combat. Coupled with Invigorating Speed for perma-vigor.

In combat my Eng is always moving to manage the ranges for different attacks and stay alive. I use the mouse to control my facing along with forward, back and strafe keys for movement. This combination is very responsive but makes ground targeting skills difficult to use (“Where the —-- is the cursor now?”) Kit swapping with the above traits gives perma-swiftness and perma-vigor in combat.

If I used Grenade Kit, then I’d stick to keyboard driven kiting at range. (But I’m not interested in wearing out my #1 key and finger, so I don’t.)

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

if you take the perma vigor/swiftness combo with 15 points into the tools trait line with bomb kit and rocket boots and what ever other utility you want (id take TK) throw in a sigil of energy and rune of the adventurer add a shield, you get a build that if it isnt dodging every attack thrown at it, its blocking the rest only to blind every one and stealth away with rocket boots, you can even go 1 step further and take runes of melandru with 20 point tools trait leg mods and lemon grass poultry soup and get 98% reduction to cripple chill and immobilize making you literally impossible to stop, throw in the stealth on immo trait and run around for days dodging blocking and stealthing your way threw every encounter.

while your at it why not take healing turret with a full set of apothcary/settlers and blast heal you and your team to full health, while your at it why not take elixir infused bombs to max out aoe healing/damage potential, or just take elixir gun for obvious reasons.

anyway as far as mobility goes for the engineer skys the limit for what you could potentially do to maximize what you want to accomplish, in wvw at least anyway.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

Thanks for all the help guys!

in Engineer

Posted by: Sevoha.6724

Sevoha.6724

I tested it a few patches ago, and unless they broke it again, Supply Crate works with Runes of Lyssa.

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

I tested it a few patches ago, and unless they broke it again, Supply Crate works with Runes of Lyssa.

ah, thank you very much.
Glad it’s fixed. I simply didn’t bother testing it again for quite a long while, sort of took it for granted that it was broken…

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

Just wanted to let every one know my findings!
Engineers rock mobility wise. Especially with the “Speedy Kits” trait and the vigor on swiftness (cant remember the name) – the same dodges as thieves have if you add it up. Yes, thieves have almost 3 dodges each time, but with regular endurance regeneration so thieves get 4 dodges every 4 dodges it just adds up differently. Engis can dodge twice each time, but with 100% endurance regen they get 4 in the space of the regular 2. so thieves get 3, than after regular endurance another one. Thieves might actually have a bit more since they get some after each dodge, meaning they get another one after the fourth dodge, but you can’t really tell the difference. Plus, perma swiftness is much better than 25% speed boost from the signet as utilities are more important than traits. With the #4 on Elixir Gun, and rocket boots, I have excellent in combat mobility as well as out.
Why is this not considered a mobile class again?

in Engineer

Posted by: amiable.4823

amiable.4823

Mostly because what you have to give up for said mobility in terms of dps and tank.

Aliquot Love – Engineer
Gable Thorn – Elementalist
Shining in Darkness – Warrior – Mag

in Engineer

Black Cat.1024

Mostly because what you have to give up for said mobility in terms of dps and tank.

No I don’t, except for the 10 points for swiftness, I go 30 in alch for HGH, and 30 in firearms for juggernaut, and the Rocket Boots utility I use in general.

in Engineer

Posted by: amiable.4823

amiable.4823

No I don’t, except for the 10 points for swiftness, I go 30 in alch for HGH, and 30 in firearms for juggernaut, and the Rocket Boots utility I use in general.

This is more of a general class issue. It’s relatively difficult to get high single target burst unless you spec into very specific builds and gear that usually lack the nice mobility and defensive abilities. Thieves have mobility and excellent defensive options in the form of stealth and very high single target DPS. If you are using flamethrower (which I assume from juggernaut) you are going to find it takes you MUCH longer to take down opponents than on your thief.

This isn’t meant to imply that Engineers are bad by any means, jsut that the trade-offs are different.

Aliquot Love – Engineer
Gable Thorn – Elementalist
Shining in Darkness – Warrior – Mag