How do you guys feel useful with a pistol/conditions build?

in Engineer

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

In general, this game has conditions builds feel pretty useless due to two main problems:

Structures not taking condition damage.
Bosses having caps on bleed/confusion and burn/poison not stacking in intensity, but rather duration.

So, I wonder, how do you manage to feel like you’re helping? I ask since I’ve noticed that conditions build engineers are actually quite limited in what they can use.

It seems that the only kits that cater to that role are the elixir gun, due to bleed and poison stacking, and the flamethrower, due to burn and proc stacking. I suppose grenades too, but they aren’t really worth it as they are mainly used for procs, and to get procs you need 30 points for grenadier so, its not too feasible to assume.

For me, who uses a rifle/grenade power build, the world is my oyster. But I recently decided to start grinding dungeon points so I can get myself a side conditions build. But I’m a bit worried that in general PvE and in certain dungeon scenarios, you are left feeling useless, while if I played with my rifle build I’d be perfectly fine.

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: AbduktedTemplar.9453

AbduktedTemplar.9453

I’m running p/s with flamerthrower and elixer gun. add 20% reduced cooldowns, 15% increased dmg, and kit refinement. I’m constantly doing direct dmg, condition dmg, and providing support. Never feel useless although I did see an engy sitting in the elixer gun a whole dungeon just autoattacking and I did think he was useless.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

I’m running p/s with flamerthrower and elixer gun. add 20% reduced cooldowns, 15% increased dmg, and kit refinement. I’m constantly doing direct dmg, condition dmg, and providing support. Never feel useless although I did see an engy sitting in the elixer gun a whole dungeon just autoattacking and I did think he was useless.

What gear are you using? Because there are huge trade offs if you go for a conditions AND power build. You either go without crit, or without health. And honestly? With my power build? I have damage, crit and health. I don’t want to go into a conditions build, and be forced to sacrifice one of those.

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: AbduktedTemplar.9453

AbduktedTemplar.9453

Im in P/P/Crit gear with mf sigils, mf jewelry, and P/P/Cond weapons. I’d rather have a power build but i love my shield so I’m workin with what I got. Traits are 0/20/20/20/10 using Infused Precision, Fireforged trigger/ Explosive Descent or Energized Armor, Reinforced Shield/ Invigorating Speed, Deadly Mixture/ Kit Refinement or Speedy Kits. using p/s healing turret, FT, elixer gun, and elixer r. This build is alot of fun and useful in and out of dungeons. I’d love more raw dmg so things die faster but i manage.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lauren.3061

Lauren.3061

I leveled with a conditions build, using pistol/shield and mostly carrion gear (my build was something like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAqel0pSY3zyuF17IBoHAuu8VkiHb5PKkbaB;ToAgyCuo+y8l4L7XuvkfNqYGA), but recently I’ve switched over to rifle/grenades with elixirs (mostly B and R) and a mixture of Berserker’s and Knight’s gear and I’m so much happier. I never felt as effective using condition stacking as I do now.

~Arabella

in Engineer

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

I am having serious doubts in my P/P build.

Currently going for stats like these:
Power+
Precision ++
Condition +
Leaning more towards Condition than Power, no vitality and no toughness.
Explosives 30
Firearms 20
Inventions 0
Elixirs 0
Tools 20

And yet I find rocket kick to be so satisfying… I feel like Chuck Norris sometimes. Truth be told though, all I ever do is spam grenades, so I should have gone for a pure power build I guess. Power and Crit Damage seem most ideal for a grenade build. The P/P becomes about as useful as a thief running sword and dagger when I have the grenade kit as an available option.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lauren.3061

Lauren.3061

Truth be told though, all I ever do is spam grenades, so I should have gone for a pure power build I guess. Power and Crit Damage seem most ideal for a grenade build.

As someone who used grenades with a pistol-based conditions build for awhile too, I can say switching to rifle/power is an awesome decision, and I haven’t regretted it once. Of course, I also swapped for a ton more precision than I used to have (my crit rate used to be a sad thing indeed) so there’s that too, but my numbers on grenade barrage now make me want to jump for joy. Just having a ton more fun all around now.

~Arabella