How do you handle Condi burst?

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Hey guys!

So I’ve been playing Engineer since launch now. I think I can safely say that I am an experienced engineer (Nothing extreme or special). Lately I have found some people which I PvP really much with and I enjoy it. I play alot of different builds and I like to experiment with builds.
However I stumbeled upon one very big problem: Condition removal. Whatever build I try I tend to die really really quick when fighting a burn guardian for example.
I know that engineer’s have very few realiable condition removal, even worse when it comes down to remove conditions several times in a short period.
So how do you guys handle with the “Condition creeping” in PvP? I could really use some tips and tricks.

Greetings, Fvux

PS, I am currently using Rune of Meladru for less duration, Healing turret as cleanse, rune of generocity and the minor trait in inventions that removes on heal.

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in Engineer

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

As of now, in my opinion, it is best to have Alchemy Tree as one of your 3 trees since that will be the tree that provide passive Condition removal.

Not to mention some of the condition removed may turn into Boons which would benefit in improving your defense or damage.

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

That’s the heart of the engineer problems. It doesn’t deal with conditions well, you typically use adapted runes and sigils to cope with it, have Alchemy trait line (well, I suppose that’s nothing new to you), know your enemy and use Elixir S, and otherwise kill before being killed, which is something that Marauder Rifle and Burn builds excel at. Drawn out fights aren’t exactly our strong spot these days.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

(edited by MrForz.1953)

in Engineer

EdwinLi.1284

That’s the heart of the engineer problem. It doesn’t deal with conditions well, you typically use adapted runes and sigils to cope with it, have Alchemy trait line (well, I suppose that’s nothing new to you), know your enemy and use Elixir S, and otherwise kill before being killed, which is something that Marauder Rifle and Burn builds excel at. Drawn out fights aren’t exactly our strong spot these days.

Depends on what the Forge brings to Engi’s play style.

However, I’m only guessing now that the Forge may bring some kind of condition resistance abilities due to the Melee Combat nature.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zera.8907

Zera.8907

I can’t. I use my HGH elixirs offensively and I die to condies. Done with the class for now and it’s a real kitten shame because I enjoyed the hell out of it but in WvW where condi is so prevalent it’s either run or die and you can’t escape a troll build thief or mesmer….

Blackgate: Zera Mithrandir- Reaper| Zera Targaryen-Mes|Zera Naharis – Ranger|

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

However, I’m only guessing now that the Forge may bring some kind of condition resistance abilities due to the Melee Combat nature.

I didn’t talk about anything related to HoT. o_o

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

EdwinLi.1284

I didn’t talk about anything related to HoT. o_o

I know but I mentioned the Forge because it will bring new abilities into the Engi gameplay which does offer the possibility to fix or make it more tolerable to deal with conditions compared to how Engi is now.

Not to mention with Forge being a Melee based Engi, Anet may have to consider how Engi will need to survive against conditions as the Forge being Melee focused.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

The Alchemy specialization is the best specialization hands down for Engineers! No matter what kind of build you run, your build will always be better if you have the Alchemy tree! For dealing with conditions, the Alchemy tree gives Alchemical Tinctures which removes conditions when you proc Self Regulating Defenses and Hidden Flask! It also gives 2 condition cleanses with Elixir S, which is one of the best defensive utilities the Engineer has! The tree also has Transmute! If you want to have a successful build, make sure Alchemy is one of your specializations!

Then you have Healing Turret and possibly Elixir Gun as your other forms of condi cleanse! But the best way of dealing with condi burst is to position yourself correctly! Don’t overextend and make yourself a target for burst! Avoid standing on the point unless you really, really, really have to prevent a cap/decap and even then it might just be better to concede the point in exchange for your life! A lost point is better than you dying which will probably result in a lost point anyway!

Other than that, the rest is up to your teammates to cleanse you in a teamfight! In a 1v1 scenario you, and most Engineers, are at a disadvantage against a condi/hybrid build so you’ll have to learn when most people will fit a condi burst in their rotation and dodge/block/invuln it! But you should try to avoid 1v1’ing these builds anyway!

Hope that helped! Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Thanks for the help guys I found myself in a steady elixir/rifle build which has some great surviveablitity.
Oh and btw ellessee, you might be using to much !signs….a dot would do the job better

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in Engineer

Posted by: Lite.3819

Lite.3819

The best way to survive condition burst is to watch what you cleanse. In small fight situations, there are only 1-2 “Burst” Conditions and everything else is condition covering. You take the “cover” as you would a burst attack and remove the “Burst” conditions with a cleanse.

The most effective way to counter Condition is still and will always be Vitality + Cleansing. Vitality to tank the cover and cleansing to remove the “burst”.

The biggest contender of this burst is also Engineer, who has the most available cover conditions and the least burst conditions out of all the professions.

Engineer – Street Rag (Black Gates)
Current Build

in Engineer

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

If you take runes of strength it prolongs the might that your HGH gives you, this means you will be more likely to have potions for when you need to condi remove. A little thing but a good thing.

in Engineer

Posted by: RubberDougie.2750

RubberDougie.2750

Lyssa runes.
………………

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Posted by: Akira.5746

Akira.5746

Power FT HGH builds have a pretty easy time slotting in Elixir C, which when coupled with all the passive cleanses from the Alchemy line give me a decent chance at wiping one to two condi bombs in full. I’ve been using Rifle FT + Elixir C + either Elixir U or Elixir Gun (both break stuns; choosing Quickness/Reflect vs. cleansing and mobility).

Not sure how you would fit Elixir C into a condition build, though, which is why I stopped playing condition Engineer.

in Engineer

EdwinLi.1284

As of currently the only way to handle condition bursts is, in my opinion, to constantly chug down potions with the Alchemy tree contion removal for all potion trait.

So you’ll have to get use to drinking potions like a additction as Engi to handle condition bursts.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

If you use the inventions line, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cleansing_Synergy

and use http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stimulant_Supplier from the alchemy line,

Now you just doubled the cleansing from healing turret. Add in what you get from transmute, and hidden flask, and your handling conditions rather fluidly.

That is not counting melandru runes or lemongrass, or elixir gun cleanses, or Elixir C. As I see it, if your having trouble with conditions now, a fair amount of the fault is yours for not building for it.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Hey guys!

So I’ve been playing Engineer since launch now. I think I can safely say that I am an experienced engineer (Nothing extreme or special). Lately I have found some people which I PvP really much with and I enjoy it. I play alot of different builds and I like to experiment with builds.
However I stumbeled upon one very big problem: Condition removal. Whatever build I try I tend to die really really quick when fighting a burn guardian for example.
I know that engineer’s have very few realiable condition removal, even worse when it comes down to remove conditions several times in a short period.
So how do you guys handle with the “Condition creeping” in PvP? I could really use some tips and tricks.

Greetings, Fvux

PS, I am currently using Rune of Meladru for less duration, Healing turret as cleanse, rune of generocity and the minor trait in inventions that removes on heal.

elixir c. tossing of elixirs…annnnd well i rarely lose to condi builds.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Posted by: sunnypsyop.3025

sunnypsyop.3025

Anyone who runs Elixir C has gone and lost their kitten mind. It’s not good. And it’s a waste of a utility slot that’s so much better used in other ways.

Traits in the Alchemy line, heal combos, EG, HGH, and other things mentioned here will help you survive condis. Don’t waste a slot on C, ever.

Also, part of this is learning how to pick your battles. Every class has a hard counter (except D/D Eles, lool) so just don’t pick fights with people who are running classes / builds that counter yours. If you see a condi Necro, just walk away, because you are gonna lose.

GF Left Me Cos Of Ladderboards [WTF]
:: |SPvP | Rev | Engi | ::

(edited by Moderator)

in Engineer

coglin.1867

Anyone who runs Elixir C has gone and lost their kitten mind. It’s not good. And it’s a waste of a utility slot that’s so much better used in other ways.

Traits in the Alchemy line, heal combos, EG, HGH, and other things mentioned here will help you survive condis. Don’t waste a slot on C, ever

Rather then simply bash anyone who even mentioned or simply discussed elixir c, would you explain in detail, with some reasonable facts, to support what your saying. Otherwise your opinion hold no more or less water then anyone else’s.

(edited by coglin.1867)

in Engineer

Posted by: Tor.1365

Tor.1365

Elixir C is certain worth it for facing pure condi builds! If you get hit by a full row of conditions, you don’t always want to start chugging down elixirs and hoping it removes the one that is hurting the most. This is bad for a high ticking skills like burning, but even worse for something like confusion as each skill use racks up more damage.

Remember that the throw Elixir also removes 3 conditions from allies too – making it equally effective (and lower cooldown) than other class skills like purging flames/cleansing fire. I always run Elixir C in groups where the other folks have sub-par condi removal.

in Engineer

Posted by: sunnypsyop.3025

sunnypsyop.3025

Rather then simply bash anyone who even mentioned or simply discussed elixir c, would you explain in detail, with some reasonable facts, to support what your saying. Otherwise your opinion hold no more or less water then anyone else’s.

Convert conditions to boons on a 40s CD means you can use it once a fight, MAYBE. Even in HGH, 32s is the same story. Generally the classes we’re going to get condi loaded against are going to have boon strips, or worse they’ll bait your C and then immediately use Corrupt Boon. Supposing you don’t get stripped or corrupted, the condi classes that Engi really struggles against also have plenty of sustained condition pressure and cover, so even with C and HGH you will never be able to cleanse them off as fast as they can apply. On top of all that, condi isn’t even the meta right now so it’s just plain ineffective to go building around condi cleanse. You’re going to load your bar with useless condi clear and then get rekt by everyone that’s not running condi (most profs currently). If you want on-demand cleanse for days, go roll an Ele.

Not sure why I even need to explain all of this, it seems like common sense that you don’t build a class that’s weak to X around fighting X. Engi is absolutely abysmal at condi clear, so you don’t 1v1 condi builds. Build your Engi around one of the many things we shine at instead, bring a utility for escape, and play smart.

GF Left Me Cos Of Ladderboards [WTF]
:: |SPvP | Rev | Engi | ::

in Engineer

coglin.1867

So, although I and others do well against condition builds, your argument is because you refuse to do it, that everyone else should be against it as well?

Do you simply run away? Is that your advice for others?

In my experience it can negate so much damage, that it allows me plenty of time to win a fight between the toss elixir and the elixir itself. Most fights hardly last 20s anyway, so even half the cooldown would barely be relavent, yet you use the cooldown alone as your only argument.