How much kit swapping is there?

in Engineer

Posted by: Sathus.7532

Sathus.7532

I was just wondering for someone who just wants to casually raid/dungeons/solo/WvW/pvp is there a need to swap kits constantly? Is there a lot of swapping for holosmith or scrapper?

I don’t mind that part of the class but I would like to know what I am getting into before I level one, thanks!

(edited by Sathus.7532)

in Engineer

Posted by: LUST.7241

LUST.7241

If you are trying to maximize your DPS, kit swapping is essential at the moment running the meta Raid/PvE build (which isn’t Scrapper; it’s core Engi running Viper’s and Pistol/Pistol).

Holosmith seems primarily DPS oriented, so you won’t need to use kits really (though Photon Forge is sort of a kit?)

You can get through dungeons nowadays no problem without much use of kits.
You can solo with Scrapper without kits.
You can WvW without kits, but you will be kiting a lot…real challenging fun though.

Current PvP meta at least requires swapping through 1 kit. May change with Holosmith…also may never change.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

I was just wondering for someone who just wants to casually raid/dungeons/solo/WvW/pvp is there a need to swap kits constantly? Is there a lot of swapping for holosmith or scrapper?

I don’t mind that part of the class but I would like to know what I am getting into before I level one, thanks!

You will almost always have at least one kit on your bar. Anything less is hurting yourself.

If you’re in high-end PvE (fractals, raids), you will probably need to learn to play the piano (4 kits) for high DPS. If you’re in PvP, you will need at least one kit, usually elixir gun. WvW you’re probably going to have mortar kit, maybe elixir gun.

As for holosmith — the elite mechanic is functionally a kit. However, it locks out some of your other kits. No idea yet on what the meta for it will be, but it’s highly likely you will still have elixir kit in PvP, and grenade or bomb kit in PvE.

See all those cool utilities with interesting ideas? Forget about them.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

You will almost always have at least one kit on your bar. Anything less is hurting yourself.

If you’re in high-end PvE (fractals, raids), you will probably need to learn to play the piano (4 kits) for high DPS. If you’re in PvP, you will need at least one kit, usually elixir gun. WvW you’re probably going to have mortar kit, maybe elixir gun.

As for holosmith — the elite mechanic is functionally a kit. However, it locks out some of your other kits. No idea yet on what the meta for it will be, but it’s highly likely you will still have elixir kit in PvP, and grenade or bomb kit in PvE.

See all those cool utilities with interesting ideas? Forget about them.

The last sentence hurts my soul.

It is very true, but it still hurts.

I would legitamitely be happy if every kit and healing turret were nerfed into the ground. At least then, some of the other interesting aspects of the class would get looked at.

I have been playing Engineer since beta, and I went from liking, to tolerating to loathing the Grenade kit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

Hurts mine, too. I don’t know that I’ve taken the Grenade Kit off my bar in over a year.

in Engineer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Think of it this way. Engineer cannot swap weapons and neither can Elementalists. Imagine and Ele with only one Attunement. Similar idea with Engineer. You don’t need to use kits, but at least one is a good idea. Otherwise you’ll spend a lot of time waiting for cooldowns.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Engineer

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

Think of it this way. Engineer cannot swap weapons and neither can Elementalists. Imagine and Ele with only one Attunement. Similar idea with Engineer. You don’t need to use kits, but at least one is a good idea. Otherwise you’ll spend a lot of time waiting for cooldowns.

Yup, though I’m a little sad there isn’t more use out of the Tool and Bomb Kits. You basically have to build for them if you want to use them, though with Holosmith giving even more of a melee focus than Scrapper, there is going to be more use out of them.

I figure the kits we’ll see the most use out of with the Holosmith are those that can apply Conditions like Blind and Cripple, even in power builds, plus the Elixir gun for mobility and the Elixir X + Acid Bomb healsplosion. Likewise we should see more use out of Slick Shoes in PvE/PvE. On a Scrapper it was super nice. On the much more nimble Holosmith there will be a lore more attacks you can squeeze in.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

If you diversify your build not much actually.

You can use several kits at once just for the continued condi stacking for example going from dual pistols – bomb kit – grenade kit – mortar but it’s not necessary especially with the new sigils.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!