How to Condi Engi in sPvP

in Engineer

Posted by: RazFxx.6451

RazFxx.6451

I’ve been trying to play what seems to be a lackluster version- running P/P, chemical rounds and pinpoint distribution, along with TK (for magnet+prybar, for me the magnet actually seems to work most of the time, even though people around here say it fails 8/10 times) and FT (for toolbelt mostly) but it didn’t work out very well.
After reading yet another rant about engi traits along with some helpful ideas how to fix them, I went to look at the actual synergies and came along with this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqalUUhSsYtWw+KQ7FLsFF4IeiBwXSdhHwYOOGfBA-TJRFABds/AAnAgoKDk8DAAA

If you combine firearms with explosives and run grenades, you have close to a 90% crit chance! why is that? you get 47% base, another 10% from high caliber (as you’re pretty close to your target), another 10% against a bleeding opponent (and you pretty much insta-bleed them with crits), and another 20% from fury which you get from no scope. all this critting triggers incendiary powder, sharpshooter and your sigils for a ton for condi stacking just for raining some nades on people. you can also use FT 1 as every hit can proc on-crit effects!
this build is not without its faults – it’s kind of squishy (no vit from rabid amulet, only toughness), and you don’t run many defensive traits.
Another option (which I will try tomorrow) is to run cele amulet, swap pistols for rifle for added burst and FT for something else (perhaps elixir B, then swap no scope for skilled marksman), then run as a hybrid that rains a ton of condis yet can burst hard.

what do you guys think? how do you play condi engi in PvP?

in Engineer

Posted by: JuiceboxHero.9463

JuiceboxHero.9463

Rabid amulet, runes of Balthazar, sigil of earth/torment.

Firearms 1-1-3, HGH 2-2-1, Tools 3-1-2.

Elixir H, FT, TK, S, X/mortar.

Playing P/P means you have to land that burn to deal meaningful damage. I find myself playing like a thief as I stealth to land blowtorch a lot. Other times, I land CC’s like magnet to get a blowtorch to the face. Also, know when to go all in with conditions when they burn dodges or cleanses and can’t deal with the burn.

Grenade kit is not necessary in this build, as it compromises between high condi pressure, CC, and survivability.

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Rabid amulet, runes of Balthazar, sigil of earth/torment.

Firearms 1-1-3, HGH 2-2-1, Tools 3-1-2.

Elixir H, FT, TK, S, X/mortar.

Playing P/P means you have to land that burn to deal meaningful damage. I find myself playing like a thief as I stealth to land blowtorch a lot. Other times, I land CC’s like magnet to get a blowtorch to the face. Also, know when to go all in with conditions when they burn dodges or cleanses and can’t deal with the burn.

Grenade kit is not necessary in this build, as it compromises between high condi pressure, CC, and survivability.

Yes to all of this.

The build itself is really only effective in Unranked, but it is incredibly fun and a good alternative if you are like me and dislike Grenades and Rifle.

in Engineer

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

Don’t run Grenades.

Don’t run Elixir S.

Don’t use Explosives Spec.

Don’t use Tools Spec.

You aren’t a power build, all this stuff is for Burst builds.

You do want to run:

Firearms, Inventions, Alchemy.

Pistol/Shield. Flamethrower, Bombs.

Rest is up to you.

in Engineer

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

I run this all the time in ranked with great success:

P/p, elixir gun, flamethrower, elixir s. The order is based on my key binds, nothing more.

Firearms 1,1,3
Inventions 2,3,2
Alchemy 2,2,1

Rabid amulet, rune of undead
Sigil of torment, sigil of generosity

Use pistols 2,3 as openers to burn cleanses. Drop elixir gun 5, 4 to get first burst of retaliation, and the 2k toughness of undead/rabid makes dd pretty negligible. Watch opponents health bar for their cleanse then open up with condis; p/p 4, 2, 3, eg 1, 3, 5, 4. Keep eg 5,4 up as its is quick cd with condi cleanse, healing, and retaliation. This combo reks thieves, warriors, soldier engi, rangers, and shatter mes. Flamethrower use as interrupt, oh kitten 5, napalm to block a side of node, 1, 2 for dps and burn application. I use elixir h for additional might stacking, but those attached to HT will find it just as effective for healing/cleanse purposes, just no interrupt.

Undead synergizes well with rabid to stack toughness, and stacks condition DAMAGE, as opposed to duration (burn or otherwise). Duration makes your condi’s op on paper, but with almost all other classes ability to cleanse regularly, duration goes out the window. Need damage to “burst.” The additional toughness drives direct damage dealers bonkers when their rotation takes you to half health, maybe.

Torment sigil is aoe application, and hurts targets that move, and to stop moving in pvp is to die anyways. Torment is the rock you put on the hard place in 1v1 1v2. Forces most classes to disengage and try again, giving you time to heal and cooldowns to pop. Generosity sounds like crap on paper, but in a 1v1 with d/d cele ele, it is amazing, and doesnt hurt against burn guards. It is possible to stand toe to toe with them. As long as you leave fire rings, cleanse burn stacks (of which you have 4 total in this build, 5 with HT) their direct damage breaks against the toughness of the build.

The only hard counters to this build are good signet/condi transfer necro, and good pu condi mesmer. Good being the key term. If you are careful with opening Condi, it’s easy to spook necro into procing early, then they are just hp bags that your condi’s eat quick. If they wait though, and force you to stack, then transfer, it’s rip. Condi mes is the same kind of deal. They have excellent mobility and escape/target drop with stealth. A decent mes will run a few circles around you, get you to lose the real one, then unload. I find a good mes to be the most effective counter to this build. If they are patient and time well, they will come out of stealth as your retaliation drops and quick burn with condi. 2k toughness is great against direct damage, but the 15k hp doesn’t give alot of room for mistakes of you aren’t able to reflect condi application.

Keeping retaliation up is important, and easy, once you get used to it, and very very strong, combined with spray and pray poison/condi cleanse, cripple shot, and spamming 1, elixir gun is very strong as defensive weapon, and covers your high dps condi very well. Elixir s for stealth. Amazing on approaches, or to disengage in a fight and restart from a better angle. Classic stomp/res assist, and with self regulating defenses, you can take a beating, then use double elixir s on top of a stealth kicker to get away, heal, and come back. Great for teams with strong rotation skills. It’s also a good way to kite off nodes if you get focused by 3 or more. You can’t fight them and win, so drag them off the node towards teammates. Flamethrower is great, has a little of everything, 5 defensive utility, 4 firefield and burning application, 3 throws off nodes, 2 is awesome dps even with low power, and 1 is an auto burn application and very nice on downed players. Just don’t get stuck using it on cooldowns the power creep works in a negative way if you don’t switch out to keep applying different condi to cover dps condi.

Supply crate for elite ftw. You drop f5 on a node with bunker down and end up with 10 or more health packs in a matter of seconds. These can be picked up while on elixir s so use that, go from dead to 2/3 health with one proc. I like to save my crate for team fights, but dropping it with immediate overcharge can and will change the tide of 1v1 or 5v5. The long cooldown is rough, but the skill is powerful, and the turrets hang around.

‘Short’ rundown of a p/p condi build I have found and particularly enjoy. You can switch carrion amulet and scavenging rune if you have some teammates you can rely on. Toughness build is fun in solo q, and thus far is the only engi build I have found in the current state of gameplay that can help carry in ranked. Gl.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Ceimash has a FT/EG might stacking build that I do very well with. I rarely lose 1v1 and I find the best role on my team is roaming point to point helping tilt the scales and decapping wherever my team needs.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

I’m into carrion rifle. Intel sigi crits on rifle and tk, plus burning from IP and FT. stunlocking people when you stack burns is so nice. they just can’t clear them.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in Engineer

Posted by: Ging.6485

Ging.6485

I run, Balthazar – Bursting / Generosity – Rabid
P/P – Flamethrower – Rocket boots – Elixir S – Mortar
Firearms – Alchemy – Inventions

It’s extremely simple, If you fight 1 on 1 against someone with minimal Condi Cleanse, you WILL win quickly. If you fight someone specced to the teeth with Condi Cleanse , you WILL lose slowly.

Ideally, find a battle in progress, stealth, choose a squishy looking person, apply 15 stacks of burning to them, finish them with either elixir S or Mortar 4 (Blind Field). You are essentially a condi thief, you gank with burning. You can also offer support with Mortar field etc. Works really well in a group.

The Generosity sigil helps against other people who have the same idea as you, you can send their burning back at them, usually they will get 10 stacks on you quickly so it works wonders.

Best part of this build is that you will be able to drop Svanir / Chieftain or even Blue/Red lords extremely quickly even with all the other NPCs on you. The weakness is though that people will start to focus fire you and you won’t be able to survive as long as you would like with that happening, and if you come across a Necro / Guardian / Elementalist armed to the teeth with Condi Cleanse, they will most likely defeat you. Necro and Elementalist for sure.

(edited by Ging.6485)

in Engineer

choovanski.5462

anyone running burns without sigil of smouldering is insane

in Engineer

basz.6129

I understand burning is op at the moment. But why slot into it so much? What do you do when your burning stacks get cleansed? How do you cover your burning stacks if that’s all you can apply? Consider the life long lesson about the risk of putting all your eggs into one basket.

I can stax 18 burning in one rotation! Guard cleanses all, necro regifts them back to you, ele cleanses, mes stealth cleanses, warrior rampages… all burning all the time is effective against one cleanse-weak class: engineer. And only if they have no idea what they are doing. Condition duration is garbage due to cleanse. Stack condition damage, not burning.

in Engineer

Posted by: Epoch.5396

Epoch.5396

P/P Scav runes in carrion.
Firearms/Alch/inventions
Rocket boots/Elix S/Elix gun

Stealth open with boot blast and then blowtorch. Do a pistol rotation to stack cover conditions as quickly as possible then move to elix gun and toolbelt skills to buff yourself and keep cover cond on target.
Consider using elix H for healing and not healing turret. You might be pleasantly surprised it has synergy

The drawback is carrion and the lack of crit to proc IP. It means sometimes u get 8 burns and sometimes 6. Still kills things well though.

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

in Engineer

Posted by: addar.2867

addar.2867

First and the most important rule in playing condi engi and being good at him:

COVERING CONDITIONS- its your most immortant task, apply as many diffrent condi as u can before u will go with your main source od dmg (burn!) thats why u start fight from range using pistol/pistol letting u apply many diffrent condis ( i love taking sigil of torment-just to get another condi on enemy) having 6,7 condi on him force your enemy to use condi cleans, than u go with burning

my build is http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqalUUh6qYtWwqKw6FLsFF4HWiBQYKObxmYHNF3IA-TJRGABAcCAyY/hmKDU8DAAA

its diffrent build from others but it provide one of the highest burn potential…. dont be afraid of turrets. They are your utility tools . In this build u doing everything to immobilize enemy and let them suffer from yours burns wich many comes from fire fields.

Net turet: thanks to trait its source of switnfness fo wjhole team it also gives u access to 3 immobi. and 2 sec. stun

Flame turret: 3 stack of might for all , great source of burn stacking and nice F fire field:) oh yes and blind condi for extra cover , protect

all turrest give u nice reflection field that brings 20 s of protection from projectiles

u can detonate all turrets to get 4000 dmg ( plus 4000 dmg by detoante supply crate’s turrets )and u can go to 18 stacks of might for whole party. Having access to 2 flame turrets 2 healing turrets and 2 net turrets makes u scary in teamfights. Just remmber to deotante them if u see they focusing your turrets

in Engineer

choovanski.5462

I understand burning is op at the moment. But why slot into it so much? What do you do when your burning stacks get cleansed? How do you cover your burning stacks if that’s all you can apply? Consider the life long lesson about the risk of putting all your eggs into one basket.

I can stax 18 burning in one rotation! Guard cleanses all, necro regifts them back to you, ele cleanses, mes stealth cleanses, warrior rampages… all burning all the time is effective against one cleanse-weak class: engineer. And only if they have no idea what they are doing. Condition duration is garbage due to cleanse. Stack condition damage, not burning.

you stunlock them when you stack 10+ burns, that’s why i run rifle. the power damage from carrion isn’t that bad either.

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Another piece of advice, especially against eles:

Stack 3 conditions before you begin your rotation. This triggers auto-cleanse traits as well as perhaps baiting a condi clear.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lite.3819

Lite.3819

My best advice is practice and get a feel of the flow of rotation. If you like grenades, run grenades. If you don’t, then don’t.

Engineer – Street Rag (Black Gates)
Current Build

in Engineer

basz.6129

you stunlock them when you stack 10+ burns, that’s why i run rifle. the power damage from carrion isn’t that bad either.

I definitely hear you on carrion, and offered a carrion/rune of scavenging synergy above. Stunlock is hardly perma though, and unless they are really new, break the stun and cleanse. I just don’t see enough cover conditions available to rifle, for my fat fingers at least. Gonna have to give it a whirl anyways! Whatever works, right?

in Engineer

choovanski.5462

I definitely hear you on carrion, and offered a carrion/rune of scavenging synergy above. Stunlock is hardly perma though, and unless they are really new, break the stun and cleanse. I just don’t see enough cover conditions available to rifle, for my fat fingers at least. Gonna have to give it a whirl anyways! Whatever works, right?

my burns do over 20k in 8 seconds. that plus crits from the rifle & confusion from prybar will kill anyone. moa out of stealth then cc as soon as moa ends is pretty great.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlUUhatYJXw+KQ+FLsFF4IuBBQYKeRvmYHNFPBA-TJhAwAw2fQzFAYcZAAPAAA

FT & TK are utility kits rifle is your main auto. use all the skills. wait to use IA, & cover condi with bleeds, cripple & confusion & cc to stop them cleansing. otherwise just play it like a rifle & toolkit build.

(edited by choovanski.5462)

in Engineer

JuiceboxHero.9463

There’s a pretty powerful celestial p/p build that I’m hesitant with sharing. Amazing burns, the best survivability I’ve seen out of p/p builds, very mobile, and tons of options.

in Engineer

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Put your fingers on the F keys, press 1-5, then repeat for 1-5 standard, swap to FT, do it again.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

anyone running burns without sigil of smouldering is insane

It’s not important. Reapplication speed or general condi layers is better. So poison, bleeds, vuln etc.

I run this build for condi;
http://intothemists.com/guides/5967-fteg_mightstacking_build

Great in 1v1 scenarios and alright in group scenarios.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

in Engineer

Epoch.5396

hehe ive clearly been stacking covers the wrong way.
Thanks for the info guys

(It worked surprisingly well the other way heh, guess that’s random low tier pvp for you.)

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

in Engineer

basz.6129

my burns do over 20k in 8 seconds. that plus crits from the rifle & confusion from prybar will kill anyone. moa out of stealth then cc as soon as moa ends is pretty great.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlUUhatYJXw+KQ+FLsFF4IuBBQYKeRvmYHNFPBA-TJhAwAw2fQzFAYcZAAPAAA

FT & TK are utility kits rifle is your main auto. use all the skills. wait to use IA, & cover condi with bleeds, cripple & confusion & cc to stop them cleansing. otherwise just play it like a rifle & toolkit build.

I like it. Way better than p/p carrion. It’s papery though, and drops quick under almost any focus. You tried using elixir h? I know you lose a cleanse from initial, but toolbelt skill is your second cleanse, and it synergizes well with hgh. Has 2s lower ‘cast’ time than drop, overcharge, detonate. Same cooldown as HT, and might stacks. Seems to work in a pinch, when you should go down and have like 400 hp, somehow it always seems to get in there, offer protection, and a second chance; whereas I sometimes QQ as HT sits next to my downed body.

in Engineer

choovanski.5462

I like it. Way better than p/p carrion. It’s papery though, and drops quick under almost any focus. You tried using elixir h? I know you lose a cleanse from initial, but toolbelt skill is your second cleanse, and it synergizes well with hgh. Has 2s lower ‘cast’ time than drop, overcharge, detonate. Same cooldown as HT, and might stacks. Seems to work in a pinch, when you should go down and have like 400 hp, somehow it always seems to get in there, offer protection, and a second chance; whereas I sometimes QQ as HT sits next to my downed body.

cool that you like it. i run HT for the extra clense on heal, the potential for 15sec cd, & water fields. I use blasts & leaps in them & find the healing useful for my allies. H is a valid option, but i prefer HT vastly. that being said im pretty darn fast on engi so blasting HT is simple for me, its like one movement.

if you play aggressively with cc, & make good use of gear shield & your healing and ou sustain really well i feel. you can fill your large health pool up pretty fast. using moa & X a lot helps i find. the cooldowns are short & they make a big difference.

still, it wont be as tough as soldiers- but the burns more than make up for it.

in Engineer

JuiceboxHero.9463

Most engies run HT because it’s just amazing. I DO run elixir H sometimes if I wanna focus on might stacking in a HGH build, which can work pretty well. However, HT is just too good overall especially in a group PVP setting like sPVP.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

somehow i seen tons of cele/carrior p/s, riffle, nades engis, wasn’t understand fast enough what are they running. oh and mortar kit

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in Engineer

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

somehow i seen tons of cele/carrior p/s, riffle, nades engis, wasn’t understand fast enough what are they running. oh and mortar kit

que?

in Engineer

Posted by: linsalainen.5806

linsalainen.5806

Invention’s, Alchemy, and firearms, P/P all the way, only class you cant instant kitten is necromancer with plague signet (instant 6 stacks of burning and 7 confusion on any target)

in Engineer

Posted by: linsalainen.5806

linsalainen.5806

And no you really dont need 97% crit chance…thats waste of skill point i would say. With 47% base and you throw one nade and one of those WILL crit no matter what, just such a waste

in Engineer

Epoch.5396

H has some very nice synergy with the Alchemy and Inventions lines. If you dont run those then its nowhere near as good as turret.
If you run those its potentially as good (which means as amazingly great) as HT with less overheads and things to go wrong as you clearly have experienced

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

in Engineer

basz.6129

H has some very nice synergy with the Alchemy and Inventions lines. If you dont run those then its nowhere near as good as turret.
If you run those its potentially as good (which means as amazingly great) as HT with less overheads and things to go wrong as you clearly have experienced

Not an issue of speed. It’s an issue of I am hauling kitten , and sometimes the overload is too slow. I usually catch the edge of the field with blast, but why worry? When I run HGH I run elixir h. I think the heal is comprable, and the animation is such that I can chain drink and throw h for 2 cleanses which is = to HT cleanse. Without HGH, HT all day. I still prefer p/p over rifle, IA with blowtorch at melee range immediately covered by poison, blind, confusion, and bleed from pistol 3, 2, 1. This is 6 stacks for about 20k of burning alone. Add 1200 poison, 1200 confusion, THEN elixir gun stacks, then flame thrower stacks. This is napkin math simply from base damage. More than half of the above damage procs will crit, passive attacks (also applying crits with bleeding and additional burning stacks), and the perma retaliation takes care of the oh kitten burst cc and run away most classes do. 2k toughness with a total of 3k+ armor from rune and emblem synergy make up for running with no gear shield, and ruin direct damage. I find soldier engi is my favorite class to 1v1 as grenade barrage can be sidestepped easily, magnet can be avoided by hiding behind a pebble, and their sustain dmg just won’t cut it in a prolonged fight.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

que?

ranked

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie