How to deal with necros.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tobey.4836

Tobey.4836

Q:

My name is Tobey, and im afraid of necros.

I really dont know how to deal with them (condition necros). They drop me from 100 to 0 in a fearlock. And i can not dodge those fears. The DS fear is instant and all the staff skills have the same animation.
On top of that he cleanses all my condition every time he heals or sends them back to me with putrid mark.

How do i fight them ? Can you tell me your secrets ?

I run the following build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAqalIqiYH5ShF1LJyIFdmoBqQeJqQ+95BblWQIA-jExA5wioxWNLiGrSmIq2cTEVLDAzYA-w

I took elixir r over a stunbreak, hoping that i could kill them after their selfrezz, when their fears are on cooldown. Problem is, i cant throw it because im alredy dead when the stunlock is over.

Should i just run away ?

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

2 things:

1 is to burst them down. Seems daunting, but if they go on the defense because you can interrupt their fear chain, gg. I like using Slick Shoes for this purpose. Super Speed into them after their first fear, knock them down with shoes, burst.

2 is to cleanse the conditions you end up taking somehow. Rocket Boots away to get rid of the chill/cripple/etc, or elixir C, or something, the torment and bleeding will seal the deal if you can’t get out of their casting range for a bit, but if you can do one or the other, you’ll have a better chance.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zindrix.1750

Zindrix.1750

Elixir H, Elixir B, Elixir S, and the trait Cleansing Formula 409. That gives you plenty of condition removal and a stunbreak with access to stability(with 50% chance).

As far as the killing part, I would imagine a power rifle build or even a turret build might do the trick?

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Velron.3729

Velron.3729

You’re pretty screwed in a 1v1 vs a Conditionmancer as any Condition build. If they are good, you are not winning.

Best bet to beating them is CC and burst. Necros, like us, suck at dealing with being hard CC’d a lot due to very limited stability access. I have had a MUCH easier time dealing with Necros the past few days playing with SD burst builds…even though my condition removal is absolutely pitiful. If you kill it fast enough, it can’t condition stack you.

Likewise, running a burst build means you aren’t giving him ammunition to use against you. Necros can’t reflect your burst, but they can most definitely send all your conditions back to you fairly easily, with multiple abilities, one on a very short CD.

Fragg – Engineer | Lil Zek – Warrior PVP R43
[DA] Decisive Actions – Jade Quarry

(edited by Velron.3729)

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

I play a conditionmancer. Looking at your build I would keep a very long distance with grenades and do a lot of damage that way. If you see that they have burned through most of their marks (if you have weakness at long range, it’s a good sign that they used putrid mark on top of the poison field) then close in to between 600 and 900 range, especially if they are in death shroud. If they are in death shroud stay in that distance and that’s a good time to be on the offensive, but dodge a hand you see coming at you. Burn down their life force and they are in trouble. If you see a swarm of locusts coming at you if they are in scepter/dagger, dodge, as that is a condition transfer.

If you get closer than than 600, the fears get stronger and torment can get out on you. Marks and other gtaoe become easier to dodge at range if you keep moving.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Velron.3729

I play a conditionmancer. Looking at your build I would keep a very long distance with grenades and do a lot of damage that way. If you see that they have burned through most of their marks (if you have weakness at long range, it’s a good sign that they used putrid mark on top of the poison field) then close in to between 600 and 900 range, especially if they are in death shroud. If they are in death shroud stay in that distance and that’s a good time to be on the offensive, but dodge a hand you see coming at you. Burn down their life force and they are in trouble. If you see a swarm of locusts coming at you if they are in scepter/dagger, dodge, as that is a condition transfer.

If you get closer than than 600, the fears get stronger and torment can get out on you. Marks and other gtaoe become easier to dodge at range if you keep moving.

Good suggestions on the ques to watch for on dodging.

However lobbing grenades at someone from 1200+ will not connect on anyone paying attention. That arching travel time is SO slow at that distance that you wont hit anyone good who isn’t afk.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tobey.4836

Tobey.4836

I also tried Cleansing formula 409 with elixir b and h. It was terrible ^^. If the necro equips corrupt boon you’re pretty much screwed with elixir b.

On another note: Does the Ds teleport thing work if you dodge it ? or do you just avoid the chill ?

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Roe.3679

It’ll be hard to connect, I know. But they will have no way to effectively fight back. Land that chill grenade and you should have some luck.

When I fight engis most of them get pretty close and stack me full of conditions, which I just send right back and open up with my own burst which doesn’t end so well for the engis who don’t change their playstyle (as I imagine that strategy is effective most of the time, but not against a necro that knows their class).

If you keep your distance and lob grenades, count the dodges and hit them with the chill grenade, you could deal a lot of damage then.

Overall the keys are to stay around max pistol range, and stay on the offensive when they are in death shroud, but still offensive at a distance. Otherwise a necro does pretty poor in a drawn out fight. Especially look to dodge dark path (a hand from death shroud) and deathly swarm (locusts that come at you).

Offhand shield does pretty well too especially if the necro is in death shroud or scepter/dagger.

(edited by Roe.3679)

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Roe.3679

I also tried Cleansing formula 409 with elixir b and h. It was terrible ^^. If the necro equips corrupt boon you’re pretty much screwed with elixir b.

On another note: Does the Ds teleport thing work if you dodge it ? or do you just avoid the chill ?

Most Necros aren’t carrying corrupt boon anymore, for what it’s worth.

And if you dodge the hand you cancel the teleport, the chill, and the 3 stacks of bleed. If it hits you you get all that plus they’ll start stacking torment immediately. So it’s an important dodge.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Zindrix.1750

Most Necros aren’t carrying corrupt boon anymore, for what it’s worth.

And if you dodge the hand you cancel the teleport, the chill, and the 3 stacks of bleed. If it hits you you get all that plus they’ll start stacking torment immediately. So it’s an important dodge.

That’s what I was about to say, most necros don’t carry that around anymore.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

Condition necro will stomp all over a condition engineer. This is one of those match-ups that is just predictible; you’ll need to considerably outplay the necro in order to win as a condition engineer.
Your best bet is some CC, or getting up in his face with a grenade kit or wrench.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: dovrak.4376

dovrak.4376

Condition necro will stomp all over a condition engineer. This is one of those match-ups that is just predictible; you’ll need to considerably outplay the necro in order to win as a condition engineer.
Your best bet is some CC, or getting up in his face with a grenade kit or wrench.

Agree. Necros counter everything right now.. they also counter other necros.. probably running some weird power build and trying to dodge wells, no chance if he’s good. If you’re playing wvw you should be able to outrun them at least

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

CC them knockdowns, knockbacks stuns daze really hurts the necros ability to laydown the conditions.

Dont try to stack condi removal and race with a necro they will win, that’s the number one mistake players make.

Eng and Wars built for control match up very well vs necros, exploit the classes weakness of no stun breaks and stability.

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

dovrak.4376

Eng and Wars built for control match up very well vs necros, exploit the classes weakness of no stun breaks and stability.

Actually necros have both stun breaks and stability.. this is engis weakness since last patch actually, and why lot of people dropped elix R.
Skills like well of power (similar to elixir c, plus stun breaker) and spectral walk, break stuns. Not to mention DS stability from 30 in soul reaping, which is not even necessary imo having such utilities.
Probably the only way to easily taking him down, is zerging him, like one class (warrior) using full cc utilities, and another one bursting him.. agree whit that one :P

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

…and dvorak just proved to not have an idea what he’s talking about.
Good job, person man.
Do necros have a stun break or two? Yes. They’re on strange, not often used skills, and on a huge cooldown, but they exist. Same for stability, literally three sources for it, none that is actually practical. Necros are, by far, the class most susceptible to CC.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

dovrak.4376

Do necros have a stun break or two? Yes. They’re on strange, not often used skills, and on a huge cooldown, but they exist. Same for stability, literally three sources for it, none that is actually practical. Necros are, by far, the class most susceptible to CC.

Necros are susceptible to focus fire, agree, but not because of lack of stun breakers, it’s because of their mobility which is still poor.
They were probably weak dealing whit cc before last big patch, which removed so many stun breakers (like shadow return, elixir r, ele’s blink, etc).

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: ikiturso.4026

ikiturso.4026

Yup dovrak put it well necro weakness is mobility. Fighting necro as engi is very straightforward. Push the tempo! Rush in and burst burst! If Necro control tempo ur changes are plain 0%. Engineer has no cleanses if u dont like elixirs or doing combos is too slow vs Necro condi stacks.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I play this after patch: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUl0pyaH5y3F17IxIFde0hUUY7L6h+tsjB-TkAA1CtIMSZkzIjRSjsGNAB I dont met necro what can beat me:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Velron.3729

Actually necros have both stun breaks and stability.. this is engis weakness since last patch actually, and why lot of people dropped elix R.
Skills like well of power (similar to elixir c, plus stun breaker) and spectral walk, break stuns. Not to mention DS stability from 30 in soul reaping, which is not even necessary imo having such utilities.
Probably the only way to easily taking him down, is zerging him, like one class (warrior) using full cc utilities, and another one bursting him.. agree whit that one :P

Most Necro will have 1 stun break and no stability.

The only real stability Necro’s have access to is a Grandmaster trait in Soul Reaping, and they would have to give up +50% crit in DS for it… or a 1 second Stability on a well – like our awesome 1 second stability on a tool belt.

So yes, Necro’s have basically no stability and are very weak to being CC’d a lot – just like us.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: bartrentenaar.8674

bartrentenaar.8674

I always try to keep them stunned, first I Always throw a supply drop on their heads, then throw my overcharged net turret which stuns them again, meanwhile I kill them with conditions. Works against any class in spvp, except tanky eles which are a little harder to kill.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

A necro that takes 30 in DS for stability is going to do very low condition damage and or have poor defense, its not the build people think is strong.

The stun breaks are on really long cooldowns and most necros dont take them other then spectral walk and thats normally already been used for movement speed, if the necro takes the stun breaks then condi pressure is going to be much lower.

I’m giving advice not here to argue or give false info, necro is easy to counter as the 1 v 1 tourny showed. CC or turrets builds do very well vs necros, burst spike can kill them if they are not working with a full bar of LF.

Its not an automatic faceroll victory for the eng vs a good necro however you will win more times then you lose with practice. Thief is the class for faceroll wins eng is the class that has a higher rewarding skill cap.

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Zindrix.1750

A necro that takes 30 in DS for stability is going to do very low condition damage and or have poor defense, its not the build people think is strong.

The stun breaks are on really long cooldowns and most necros dont take them other then spectral walk and thats normally already been used for movement speed, if the necro takes the stun breaks then condi pressure is going to be much lower.

I’m giving advice not here to argue or give false info, necro is easy to counter as the 1 v 1 tourny showed. CC or turrets builds do very well vs necros, burst spike can kill them if they are not working with a full bar of LF.

Its not an automatic faceroll victory for the eng vs a good necro however you will win more times then you lose with practice. Thief is the class for faceroll wins eng is the class that has a higher rewarding skill cap.

What this guy said^

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Conditionmancers are king in a condi vs. condi fight. Personally I run a mixture of primarily carrion + some rabid + zerker gear, but in a pure rabid setup it’ll be a whole lot harder to win. Using that build, I would do the following:

Pull them into point blank range with magnet pull. During their stun, follow up with grenade barrage then pry bar, then the gear shield to block their attacks and maximize confusion damage. By the time gear shield comes up, the necro probably has already used their marks and is switching to a different weapon. After that, counterattack with a supply crate drop right on their head, then follow that up with static shot + blow torch + glue puddle. This is to keep the necromancer locked in place. Dodge a few times to consume elixir R since once the blind is gone the necro will try their best to fear lock you. Then, while increasing distance, attack using frozen grenade + flash grenade + shrapnel grenade, then maintain distance by alternating between pistol blind + control and grenade blind + control until burst damage is readily available. However, be careful about going into close range from now on, since through the damage you will have inevitably taken through this fight, the necromancer will be looking to seal the deal via chain-terror. If they pull you into range or if they manage to teleport to you, gear shield and/or dodge immediately, since their finisher is coming right up.

This is an attempt to control the necro into oblivion with the occasional burst attacks. The important thing to watch for against the necros are his heals and his transfers. The standard condition necro actually has only 2 ways of curing their own conditions: with consume conditions, and with Putrid Mark. Dagger #4 transfers conditions, but it isn’t good at curing them. You will unquestionably be hit with putrid mark at some point, but as soon as they use their heal, you have 25 seconds to go meshuggah with conditions, and the necro himself will have no way to deal with them. Until then, do not stack too many conditions at once, because they will be thrown right back in your face. Stagger your burns and your confusion, and also shrapnel grenade, since it is the long duration conditions that the necro will damage you most with.

That build posted is very weak to necros. There is very little condition mitigation, and no stun breakers. When fighting a class that uses a ton of conditions and stuns as an offense, it is the equivalent to fighting a thief while in Glass cannon gear without counter-burst. My advice is to not run Elixir R, since its use has diminished heavily due to recent patches. I’d go with Slick Shoes, since it provides a stun break in the tool belt while also providing a movement skill, and an excellent counter-stun for when the necro is at close range.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

I play this after patch: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUl0pyaH5y3F17IxIFde0hUUY7L6h+tsjB-TkAA1CtIMSZkzIjRSjsGNAB I dont met necro what can beat me:-)

You have one condition removal and you did not met a necro that beat you?

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Roe.3679

He’s also immune to conditions at 25% health. It’s a pretty hard counter to condi classes in general.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Velron.3729

He’s also immune to conditions at 25% health. It’s a pretty hard counter to condi classes in general.

The trait actually doesn’t work very well without some removal. It doesn’t get rid of any conditions on you already and Necros put on very long duration conditions. You’d basically have to get lucky and all the Necros conditions happen to end just as your immunity at 25% kicked in. Very unlikely. Especially vs a good Necro who knows about this trait and will make sure to put some nice 12+ second duration conditions on you just before it would kick in.

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

STUN CHAIN!

But them fears though… without stability it’s just painful.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Yes and I almost never use it:-) Melandru runes + that traits makes you very resistant for condis. I primary tinker this build for WvW where you go with -40% condi food but in SPvP its also works incredibly well. You lose trashcondis like cripple, chill, immobilize, fear,.. very quicky so you dont need many condi removers.
Lots of control and preasure simply keep necro grounded most of the time. If he pop stability LoS is you friend FT still hit thru wall. And if you have real problems you just rocket out heal and come back:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

How to beat a necro 101

1. Run Rifle!! disable them after you’ve put condis on them so they soak in dmg, also use it to interrupt their SLOW casting heal
  2. Bring a Second CC. FT #3 is perfect
  3. if you see a necro go into Death Shroud.. DODGE! right away, Doom(fear) is an instant cast skill and also is dodge-able, 95% of of necros use it as soon as they go on DS unless it’s on cd.

Additional tips…

• Unless a necro runs signet of undead, building Life force (need it to go into DS) is really slow and they lose it really fast… necro without DS = cake
  • Run Hybrid(condi/dmg) build with carrion and find some precision… I just made a build that puts out 100+ bleeds, 600+ burns while still hitting 1.5k’s auto attack and 2-5ks on other skills.. It owns necros

what NOT to do!
go P/P full elixir condi build without any CC and Expect to win! that’s just silly.

(edited by google.3709)

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

what NOT to do!
go P/P full elixir condi build without any CC and Expect to win! that’s just silly.

The most true thing ever. Unless you are like one of the PvP all-stars, who seem to be fine p/p… lol.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

How to deal with necros.

in Engineer

Posted by: Schroedingercat.7065

Schroedingercat.7065

My name is Tobey, and im afraid of necros.

I really dont know how to deal with them (condition necros). They drop me from 100 to 0 in a fearlock. And i can not dodge those fears. The DS fear is instant and all the staff skills have the same animation.
On top of that he cleanses all my condition every time he heals or sends them back to me with putrid mark.

How do i fight them ? Can you tell me your secrets ?

I run the following build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAqalIqiYH5ShF1LJyIFdmoBqQeJqQ+95BblWQIA-jExA5wioxWNLiGrSmIq2cTEVLDAzYA-w

I took elixir r over a stunbreak, hoping that i could kill them after their selfrezz, when their fears are on cooldown. Problem is, i cant throw it because im alredy dead when the stunlock is over.

Should i just run away ?

Ds fear is about 1.5 sec cast time. Our two other fears require you to get caught standing in a mark, or get caught standing in a wall. Both have a lengthy cooldown as does the DS fear.

Fear can be cured as a condition.

No heal we have cleanses conditions, we get extra healing per condition on us with a heal. We have 3 ways to send conditions back to you, one is a signet with a 40 sec cooldown (traited), the other is a 18 sec dagger skill that can send 3 (less if traited), and finally staff 4 which is a longish cooldown also.

The big weakness of necros lies in their ability to handle crowd control. I would take a look at what traits they have available to gain stability, and what stun breaks/stabilities they have available as utilities. A crowd controlled necro does no damage (unless they are minionmancer?)

Anyway I don’t pvp, but I do play a necro. I would just go play with the trait calculators and look at cooldown times and how often fear can really be spammed and how often stunbreaks/stability can be obtained.

dont ever try to fight a necro by putting conditions on them, they will just send them straight back at ya.