How to understand the engineer forum

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Hey engineer forum!

I noticed you were having trouble figuring out if engineers are broken or fine. Let me break it down:

—People who do regular dungeons and open world PvE find engies good; we are quite decent at everything, so we solo well.
—People who run high-level fractals find us all right, but not as good as guardians at support or warriors at damage.
—People who run WvW find us very good. We have a lot of good food interaction with our WvW builds. No one knows how to fight us in WvW. Very few casual WvW players bring their own condition removal, which really helps us out in the open field. We have decent sustained damage and survivability, which is great for WvW.
—People who run PvP find us less good, but all right. We lose our food interaction. Sustained damage/survivability builds are not as good in PvP. Confusion does half damage in PvP. Opponents play better in PvP.
—People who run in tourneys with premades find us all right. Our burst build does well at ending 2v1s quickly, but doesn’t perform well in 1v1s. Very good teams can use us effectively. We haven’t made it into the official meta, but a few highly skilled players have used engies in paids.

tl;dr—Effectiveness ratings in various aspects of the game:
PvE and dungeons: 9/10
Fractals: 6/10
WvW: 9/10
PvP: 7/10
Paid tournaments: 6/10

I believe this is a major contributor to the current confusion on the engineer forums. We have some very real issues/bugs, but skilled players have learned how to be effective in many aspects of the game. Other professions have the same problem: warriors are 10/10 in fractals but 5/10 in tournaments, for example.

Let’s stop berating each other just because we play different portions of the game?

in Engineer

Posted by: Fiorrello.8126

Fiorrello.8126

i play WvW. i have a lv80 mesmer, warrior, necro and engineer. i also explore in pve and do dungeons. i don’t do spvp or tpvp

pve and dungeons; 6/10 eng, 6/10 mes, 10/10 war, 8/10 necro
WvW; 3/10-7/10 (dependent on build) eng, 8/10 mes/ 8/10 war, 8/10 necro

just my 2 cents based on personal experiance

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

NevirSayDie you fool. You can’t tell people that there are different aspects to Gw2. It’s unheard of in the engineer forum, where either you are a QQer or an appologist. There can’t be friendship here, it must be flame bating and trolling that prevail!

In all seriousness, this post highlights something that more people should realize. Mind you before the flame war begins (and he who flames all threads gets here) that this thread is based off of what NevirSayDie has observed. NevirSayDie’s ranking of the engineer class is an opinion, others may (will) have differing opinions. What this thread addresses instead is a problem the engineer forum has had in the last few weeks, which is the conflicts we’ve been having and the flaming that’s been affecting our more open threads.

So please be kind people, we’re all engineers here

in Engineer

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

I agree mostly except on fractals. Warriors dip tremendously later on, engineers have the ranged damage to make them look like a collection of gibbering children. Toss Elixir R is fantastic for surviving 40-49 agony with proper AR.

in Engineer

Posted by: Manticore Five.9867

Manticore Five.9867

What this thread addresses instead is a problem the engineer forum has had in the last few weeks, which is the conflicts we’ve been having and the flaming that’s been affecting our more open threads.

Why, you’re right. Of course we’ll all be ok if we just smack our heads with a wrench until we’re deluded enough to pretend that said opinion resembles reality.

That’s not a thief dancing on your corpse, it’s the frigging Easter bunny! Why can’t you just lie back and pretend you’re a winner? It’s so peaceful being a corpse… look at the bright side!

We can all collectively lie back, dead, and pretend that nothing bad ever happens. That sounds like a great plan for fixing things!

And look! All this spare time waiting for someone who won’t boot you out of dungeon and fractal runs means more time to post unassailable opinions on why engies are like totally 9 out of 10 so why doesn’t anyone want engi because we’re so cool lying on our backs and all.

(edited by Manticore Five.9867)

in Engineer

Posted by: blurps.2340

blurps.2340

You forgot the people playing in La-La-Land, claiming Engineers have the best dps, provide the most support and can cure cancer while they’re at it.

( the first two claims had actual threads here on this sub forum, go figure )

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie you fool. You can’t tell people that there are different aspects to Gw2. It’s unheard of in the engineer forum, where either you are a QQer or an appologist. There can’t be friendship here, it must be flame bating and trolling that prevail!

In all seriousness, this post highlights something that more people should realize. Mind you before the flame war begins (and he who flames all threads gets here) that this thread is based off of what NevirSayDie has observed. NevirSayDie’s ranking of the engineer class is an opinion, others may (will) have differing opinions. What this thread addresses instead is a problem the engineer forum has had in the last few weeks, which is the conflicts we’ve been having and the flaming that’s been affecting our more open threads.

So please be kind people, we’re all engineers here

Hehe wasn’t sure what to think when I started reading that…:)

I haven’t gotten that high in fractals with any profession so I’m not really qualified to give a rating for warriors—I just wanted to make the point that warriors are very strong at a lot of the game but are considered one of the weakest professions in tournaments.

I have done more PvP than WvW so I’m also not as qualified to give a rating there as I could be. My limited observation has been that a lot of our really effective tricks in WvW don’t work in PvP, so I gave WvW a much higher rating.

Seeing as the mods are beginning to close off all the flame threads, I think it’s high time we take a step back and breathe for a second. I’m fairly certain a couple of people have gotten suspensions, or they’d have already commented in this thread So…let’s be intelligent about this, yes?

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

Life is like a box of nails...

You can build great things, just don’t shove your hand in blindly or you might drop the box, step on a spilled nail, and cripple yourself.

Edit: ^.^

Edit 2: oh soz, my bad.... Next patch; "Box of Nails - now applies cripple to engineer as well."

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

(edited by nakoda.4213)

in Engineer

Posted by: cottage.3274

cottage.3274

we need a big thread like the warning one only for it to be as positive as humanly possible.
it feels like we have two camps here and its getting weird by the day.
post some moral boosting videos cool things ppl find, i know i was like “is this real” when i first saw the 6 dodge engineer in the bwe i like to see more of this things.
we all need to put the patronizing out the door when we come here and be civil to each other.
this isnt the -you all know the mmo- forum lets all back off a bit and have fun.

my two cents.

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

Well, back in November the thief forum got an official (and much needed) ANet thread for discussion. I bet that might help.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

Well, back in November the thief forum got an official (and much needed) ANet thread for discussion. I bet that might help.

We had a thread like that, the “Do not roll an engineer thread.” It kind of did the opposite of the thief grief thread though. Instead of containing all the flame/trolling and keeping it from reaching the rest of the forum, intelligent players went to that engineer thread to get really angry with each other and then they went on to ruin the rest of the forums.

It’s been going on for two weeks and I’m glad that the mods have started to crack down on them. Hopefully things will go back to normal and we will be able to share suggestion/oppinion/question threads without getting our heads chewed off by other posters.

Until then we’ve just got to hold tight and be civil :p

in Engineer

Posted by: Cyric.2854

Cyric.2854

Hum, I have a main engineer, full gear, 75% map completition, and I raid with a big guild in WvW. I’ll reroll my char because in wvw it’s a 5/10 in any role you want to play. Tanky builds are fun for going solo and don’t know, harass people, hunt Dollies or whatever, but not for serious bussiness.

There are basically 3 used builds in WvW:
Nade-build: you have spent 30 traits on power condition duration, you will have less survivailty for sure, also, with a nade kit, you will have to sacrify one of this skills: break stun, bomb kit or tool kit (excelent for cover your low survability while regrouping after the choke, using your op shield) damage is ok, but condition damage in those kind of battles are useless since every group have a lot of condition removal.

A bulky build with elixir S, tool kit and a break stun, wich I find absolutly useless.

A build with flamethrower, abusing the omnomberry ghost with a 96% critical with fury and knight build. I love this build. With critical hit and skale venom you have a lot of changes of inflicting vulnerability, weakness, burning and bleeding with every hit, also you heal yourself like 3k per second, doing an ok damage. The good thing with that build is that you can use your brilliant Slick Shoes that has no number of target’s limit and you can knock down an entire zerg. With a good breakstun landed you can disable 10-20 players of 30-40 who don’t have stability and spread conditions, damage and love to everyone.

Anyway, every engineer build listed here has a better version on other classes (warriors, elementalist even rangers for aoe damage; guardians, thieves for being almost unkillable; guardians, elementalists for huge crowd control)

And for these reasons I’ll reroll my beloved main char. I’m on a high competitive guild and I have to be the more competitive possible.

Anyway I feel useful on pve/wvw, and it’s fun to play engineer, but I know I won’t be the best in my role ever, even if I become the skillest player in GW2, so it makes me sad, since I love my main engineer and I put a tons of time on “her”.

The most disgusting thing about engineer class is that almost every update we got a nerf, it was a nice surprise the “buff” that anet make to the kits (anyway I don’t feel so much difference) so when anet announces another update I feel like: “oh no, here we go >__<”

I enjoy the irony on engineer forum’s, I like that acid humor, don’t be so rude with flamers and trolls, they are trying to defend their favorite class, but as they can.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

I am on the tier 1 sever of Jade Quarry, and I rarely see the builds you are suggest are what everyone uses. We have some really solid engineers, sometimes even 5 of us run together with pure bomb/grenade builds and rush the zerg. With 2 grenadiers and 3 players running around inside their zerg, dropping bombs every where, allows 5 people to completely rattle 40.

Broad generalizations like this are what bother me about the engineer forums. One person can make an inaccurate statement of this nature, and taint new players unnecessarily.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

I am on the tier 1 sever of Jade Quarry, and I rarely see the builds you are suggest are what everyone uses. We have some really solid engineers, sometimes even 5 of us run together with pure bomb/grenade builds and rush the zerg. With 2 grenadiers and 3 players running around inside their zerg, dropping bombs every where, allows 5 people to completely rattle 40.

Broad generalizations like this are what bother me about the engineer forums. One person can make an inaccurate statement of this nature, and taint new players unnecessarily.

I’ll second this, the only time you see something stupid like flamethrower is when an engineer is desperate to defend his keep from rams and the like, and they aren’t using retaliation (bombs would normally be better, but usually getting close enough to use bombs = death). Tool kit sees use sometimes to magnet + gib players one at a time (Magnet, net shot, faceroll, gg), and Gear Shield is a much faster cooldown escape tool than Elixir S (it doesn’t break stuns, but I get gibbed by far more other things than stuns). In WvW (I’m also a JQ resident), I often either forfeit elixir gun for elixir S, or tool kit – but sometimes I just keep both if I’m feeling lucky. Elixir Gun is great for sieges (when your allies are on a door pounding away, dropping two super elixirs can make a very large difference), as are grenades. Tool kit isn’t so much when you’re besieging,

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

I do swap to FT often to sweep a keep after we take it to make sure any stealth/culling exploiters are not hiding anywhere.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.