I cant stay alive :(

in Engineer

Posted by: Foegrim.6549

Foegrim.6549

Granted Im still only 15 but I cant seem to lvl very easily at all, I want to like the class and I do but if I get an add or something Im done for, Im trying to kite, dodge etc and switched to pistol/shield and I just dont know what else to do. Any advice or tips to help with leveling. Is this just my experience with engineer and do I just suck at it? etc etc lol

Thanks

in Engineer

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

More information would be helpful. Where are you levelling? Are you wearing appropriate level gear? Do you have a slow system or suffer from poor FPS? Do you experience sudden bouts of narcolepsy? (I kid, but you never know..) Stuff like that.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

in Engineer

Posted by: Malefactor.2780

Malefactor.2780

I haven’t had any luck with pistol/shield. There just doesn’t seem to be enough damage, and the shield skills recharge rate is abysmal.

Rifle is great for handling one or two mobs; snare + knockback is great for keeping them away. Combine with a kit (such as grenades) for conditions/damage and you should have few problems with mobs your level.

Still having probs? The rifle turret is fantastic for holding mobs attention while you damage away. Toolbelt-explode it right before it falls to get some extra damage on the enemy.

Make sure your armor/weapons are level-appropriate. Trading Co. will have fantastic blue for cheap for you.

And if you’re still having probs, find me (Oyle Boyle) on Devona’s Rest usually about 5pm – 7pm EST. I’d be happy to run with you and see what’s up.

in Engineer

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

I’d spec in to the burn on crit and stack some precision gear even at your level. It’ll help if you’re using pistols instead of rifle using elixir gun kit may help if you can get it just for the #2 low cooldown cripple and #4 makes a nice little scape mechanism as well. Other than that dodging and keeping distance works well. Healing turret can actually help as well to get mobs attention and keep them off you for a short while at that level.

If you want easy mode kite with bomb kit for melee mobs just run in circles and drops bombs it’ll kill any melee easily.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dispari.3980

Dispari.3980

Hmm, I guess it depends on your skills. I had a few issues with engineer before, but I picked up the Elixir Gun recently and I like it. It has a space-maker and a heal and the toolbelt is regen. The t1 also spams weakness which is basically -25% damage right there.

I suppose it’s a bit like thief. You don’t really have a ton of skills that give you more defense or regen, so you gotta take what you have. Elixir S would give you some ability to dodge for a bit.

But yes, I do spend most of my time walking backward. Also personally, not a big fan of shield.

in Engineer

Posted by: Under Web.2497

Under Web.2497

is this your first character? some proffessions fare better against mobs than others. The trinity was replaced with damage/control/support – sure we can control and we can do damage but our strength lies in support. we do suffer until we get kits. at lvl 20+ things will get easier.
try p/p + you have to know how to use blowtorch(which is buggy) but once u do it does nice burn dmg and glue shot is nice c/c (i think its more controlling than the k/b of the shield). do u use turrets?- they can be useful to drawing a mobs attention.
all the time your kiting/dodging dps is dropped so your only mitigating the damage and not dealing with the problem.
My attitude is burn em and burn em quick
Oh and as lvling is so quick. you might wanna check your gear is up to date. It happened to me on one of my chars- i thought “this proff kinda sucks” i was lvl 20 with (pretty much) starter gear- i upgraded all my gear and found things a lot easier.

in Engineer

Posted by: Under Web.2497

Under Web.2497

perma swift and vigor – run through the mobs double dodging (and burning) and about face. backing up is ok but end zones (with the amount of mobs) is near perma aggro state

in Engineer

Posted by: Bleeds.4029

Bleeds.4029

@Foegrim
My suggestion is to build up some money and craft. Huntsman and Leatherworking are both nice for an engineer. Doing these will push you through the lower levels thanks to the ridiculous amounts of exp you can haul in from crafting (thanks Anet). If you are having trouble with cash, make a warrior and faceroll your keyboard for money and crafting components; give the warriors loot to the engi.

Engineer is, in my opinion, kind of bland until 60. At 60 you can pick up Grenadier for your grenade kit and then it’s the engineers turn to dominate.

Also, don’t forget to find dungeon groups that are appropriate to your level. (ie. Ascalonian Catacombs (AC) story at 30, AC explore modes at 35) Save your tokens from explore modes for level 80.

Lastly, don’t be afraid to go back and do lower level content in other zones. Nowhere is it written that if you are 35 you must do level 35 content. The exp is good, DE’s are plentiful, and you can easily make some extra coin by quickly completing the heart quests.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Turrets, condition damage, and level appropriate gear. Especially the gear. Your character profile will tell you in the top right area what level you’re operating at.

As you said, rifle is good for one or two. Anything more than that at a time and you should be hitting multiple mobs with explosive shots, stacking bleeds. And using your shield powers to stun and knock them back.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Still having probs? The rifle turret is fantastic for holding mobs attention while you damage away.

If you’re using your turret solely as a tank, Thumper turret has a LOT more health.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

At lvl 15, drop healing rifle and flame turret. (Or nix the rifle so it don’t shoot mobs you dont want to engage). That’s immedite area is your own personal universe and you’re the god. Flame turret will burniate them, you’ll get heals, you have explosive shot aoe, shock aoe, poison shot, knock back, stun, explode turrets for aditional aoe, another aoe from your napalm, two aditional heals from overcharging and gas. If you do end up going down, al the mobs will be low enough health to bring you right back multiple times to finish them off. Especially with your detonate.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

pistol shield is actually what I use now at 80 however looking back it would be nice to have thought of it (im slow) while leveling.

I do this. I use pistol shield I have some kind of quickening effect (green potion or I get a run that gives me quickening to put on my weapons. I have it on my two exotics right now it’s awesome.)

If you are high enough level I would suggest specing so that your traits give you toughness, regen, vigor and swiftness. This helps me alot. I think my traits are 0/30/0/30/10 I’m planning on making some minor adjustments simply because I don’t really need in events to have immunity to conditions when other people’s AOEs are taking those off of me when I run thru them, but I love the cloaking device when in Orr when I’m immobilized. It’s so annoying running around that place.

you don’t really need much in stats just power/precision/%damage from crits.

It’s a good idea to keep your amor up to date. and if you don’t like something in the traits I’d suggest taking those ten points out and putting more in inventions so that you get extra toughness from having a shield equipped.

Almost forgot. Abilities I use are 6-healing pot 7-quickness pot (green) 8-goggles (for fury but you can put anything here I sometimes use the purple pot for buffs) 9- Charr hidden pistol (I use this one as an engineer because of the Fkey. As a pistol wielder it helps to have this handy for a quick unload for loads of damage. There is a whole list of them for other races.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

in Engineer

Posted by: Punny.9210

Punny.9210

yea throw all ur turrets to pull aggo from u .

Blackgate

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Still having probs? The rifle turret is fantastic for holding mobs attention while you damage away.

If you’re using your turret solely as a tank, Thumper turret has a LOT more health.

And a longer cooldown. Atleast Rifle will be up for just about every fight.

in Engineer

Posted by: narcotico.1704

narcotico.1704

Try pairing p/s with bomb kit, you can take on 5 mobs at a time without many problems. The key is the blinds…use pistol #3 at range and use bomb#4 in melee. The bomb blind constantly reapplies itself inside the circle until it expires (and you can shoot thru it with the pistol to apply ranged blinds as well). Drop bombs on their face in between blinds – if bomb blind expires and you are taking dmg use shield or BOB to knock them down/reflect/block until blinds are back up!

You will often come out of fights v. multiple mobs at or near 100% health if you chain your aoe blinds and aoe dmg properly, it’s really effective at killing in bunches and you’ll rarely ever die.

(edited by narcotico.1704)

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

I had an easy time leveling as an engi, far easier than my necro or memser is having.

I used Rifle with 2 turrets and the Lind Mine.
The land mine (I think the skill is actualy Throw Mine) has a really short cooldown and aoe knockback.
That gives you an immobalize, and 2 knockbacks. You can very easly never get hit if you have traits for the faster cooldown on rifle skills.
The turrets, I would suggest rifle for the fast cooldown and some what quick attack speed on it. And the Rocket Turret for the knockdown.
Flame is also another good option due to the smoke field it creates allowing you to keep the target blind for a good little bit.

Stay away from the thumper turret. its really short ranged and doesnt generate agro at all. its a waste imo. Net turret is another one I would advoid for general PvE.

Tho there have been times that the net from my rifle, the net turret AND the net turret from supply drop has been really useful when kiteing a veteran enemy.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

I had a hard time leveling my engineer, at least compared to when i was playing my guardian and warrior. But i did some research and testing in the mists and found that the traits infused precision and invigorating speed had massively improved my survivability.
I just toughed it out till i hit level 30 and could pick both those traits up.

in Engineer

Posted by: lepri.6504

lepri.6504

I was using bombs as main weapons during low lvl. Bombs were the faster way to kill stuff when you dont have traits to back you up

Blacktide>>Yafes>>Asura Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Ighten Hill.5038

Ighten Hill.5038

two pistols for me and use them in the correct order for max damage-poison (well its green) seems to give a lot of dmg rapidly..

Get rockets on turrets asap (found the rifle turret useless) and sometimes the net turret helps a lot.

It is frustrating though how little dmg the pistols give out. Key is to craft like crazy to keep lvls up and make sure you constantly change weapons and armor to suit your skill.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

I use PP and there you simple use skill 1, 2, 3 when they are at distance then 5 when thy come close to slow them down use attack 4 and then you can side step or rollback (have dodge on s so no backstep at all) and when they come up you i press Personal Battering Ram to push them away again.

(edited by Shadow.3475)