I feel the engineeer profession needs work as a whole

in Engineer

Posted by: Twosai.2374

Twosai.2374

Is it? I mean,
- Switching to a kit removes the stats of the weapon, so good weapons wont matter when using kits.
- There isnt much of a melee option, and those that are kinda sucks.
- Turrets are underpowered.
- Turrets get auto selected by mobs to attack on.
- Flamethrower misses all the time.
- Grenade kit is easy to avoid in PvP.

The only thing that I have found good with engineers is the elixir gun.
All this is what I have found out by myself though, so please prove me wrong.

in Engineer

Posted by: Wulf of Highland.1576

Wulf of Highland.1576

Lol what? Engineers are boss. You arent playing em right. Turrets need a defensive buff.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sonho.3697

Sonho.3697

Is it? I mean,
- Switching to a kit removes the stats of the weapon, so good weapons wont matter when using kits.

someone REALLY needs to “L2P”. The flamethrower isnt that bad, people just have no bloody ide how to use it. Grenade kit is amazing in PvP, one again learn to use it. Fact is, all kits are good.

in Engineer

Posted by: Deltron.4592

Deltron.4592

correction: Engineers are full of win but need some fixes

sPvP: nothing i can’t solo

all your base are belong to Eredon Terrace

in Engineer

Posted by: Wulf of Highland.1576

Wulf of Highland.1576

Is it? I mean,

someone REALLY needs to “L2P”. The flamethrower isnt that bad, people just have no bloody ide how to use it. Grenade kit is amazing in PvP, one again learn to use it. Fact is, all kits are good.

Have gone Tankthrower yet? Its so lolzy

in Engineer

Posted by: Twosai.2374

Twosai.2374

Is it? I mean,

Im playing condition flamethrower mostly, but I find that since I loose the weapon stats when playing ft, condition pistol is better.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sonho.3697

Sonho.3697

Is it? I mean,

Have gone Tankthrower yet? Its so lolzy

yeah, i used a hybrid tank/dps thrower build while i leveled. its waay to powerful XD

in Engineer

Posted by: Captain.6248

Captain.6248

- IIRC, Anet said something about being a balance thing. But now they’re looking into it. Right now they’re prioritizing bugs and account based stuff first, so the balancing thing might take a while.

- Toolkit. It’s practically anti-range and can output massive damage. Teldo uses it if he feels like playing super dps glass cannon.

-Yes I agree. Turrets are underpowered. In dungeons, mobs treat it like hellspawn. Turrets should have more usefulness than a 5 or 6 second tank.

- Although the animation for it doesn’t show, flamethrower rarely misses for me. What race are you? I find that Asurans tend to miss more than the other races.

-The thing about grenade kit is that it’s POWERFUL. It’s incredible dps, but the drawback is that it’s hard to hit on moving players. That’s part of the reason why engineers have such a high skill cap, you need to prepare ahead of time (for this example, predicting movements). Not even the top pvp engineers use grenade kits because of how hard it is to hit. I feel like it should have a faster projectile speed and it’ll be up to par with bomb kit (pvp-wise).

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

The thing is all the items you listed can easily be said about other careers like thief and mesmer.

Engineer melee can work with a mixture of rifle / grenade kit / bomb kit. If you use grenade kit as a melee kit you won’t have issues with it being avoided. But it doesn’t work well till max gearing, and its not a brawler style. It’s hit and run really.

Turrets are weak in dps, but some of them can make up for that in utility such as thumper turret on a control point, or net turret while kiting. But much the same can be said for some of the necro pets, clones, a few ranger pets, and even spirit weapons and banners.

The sigil and weapons stats with kits is an issues, as is the way cone abilities like FT and Elixir gun 3 miss, but that’s true of all similar abilities. It’s no different on Guardian torch. Elementalists and Thieves have similar issues to our kits on stats / sigils as well with the summoned weapons and stolen items. It’s not as bad on Thieves, but Ele’s are in a similar boat if they like to use summoned weapons.

I’m not saying that your wrong, but it’s not like we’re the only ones with these particular issues. I think our issue is that since we are so diverse as a profession that we simply get the pick of a lot of these things, and without such a diversity of weapons to choose from it really limits our options. If your not a big fan of pistol, rifle, or the bomb/grenade kit play style engi is a bit rough at the moment. You might have more fun on something else like mesmer, warrior, or thief.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sir Blazin.9365

Sir Blazin.9365

Engineer is a great class! I have my gripes about it, but I’ve played it since day one. Basically there’s a lot of special-case needs the engineer has that I would like to see addressed. Atm it’s kinda confusing to understand what ANet wants to do with the engineer, and I honestly get the impression that they might be confused themselves. The engineer will really shine though if ANet listens to us and balances them accordingly (not neccesary in accordance to what we say) while talking to the community and explaining the changes. That’s my hope, anyways.

Kaineng Beast [NoQQ]

in Engineer

Posted by: Visamon.4782

Visamon.4782

-our only ranged weapon ( pistol is mid-close) needs to be in close range to do damage
-everytime you switch to a kit, the autoattack disables, i everytime i use a flamethrower the autoattack is disabled ( i understand for some kits like bombs its ok but for the rest like elixir gun is not)
-turrets should be half cd if you pick them up
-pistol second skill should be combo finisher: proyectile

and a long etc, the class is very fun but totally underpowered

in Engineer

Karast.1927

- IIRC, Anet said something about being a balance thing. But now they’re looking into it. Right now they’re prioritizing bugs and account based stuff first, so the balancing thing might take a while.

- Toolkit. It’s practically anti-range and can output massive damage. Teldo uses it if he feels like playing super dps glass cannon.

-Yes I agree. Turrets are underpowered. In dungeons, mobs treat it like hellspawn. Turrets should have more usefulness than a 5 or 6 second tank.

- Although the animation for it doesn’t show, flamethrower rarely misses for me. What race are you? I find that Asurans tend to miss more than the other races.

-The thing about grenade kit is that it’s POWERFUL. It’s incredible dps, but the drawback is that it’s hard to hit on moving players. That’s part of the reason why engineers have such a high skill cap, you need to prepare ahead of time (for this example, predicting movements). Not even the top pvp engineers use grenade kits because of how hard it is to hit. I feel like it should have a faster projectile speed and it’ll be up to par with bomb kit (pvp-wise).

I keep hearing that about toolkit but I’ve to actually see it work like that. You can get the dps really high on the 1# and the 3# with a nice power / crit glasscannon build. But I have never found the 1# to be better than hipshot on rifle. The 3rd hit might get 3.3-4k on a super squishy but on those targets hipshot will do 3k anyway and you got the benefit of range.

It’s nice for the toolbelt and when the range is right pulling them into a bomb or blunderbuss depending on the build you use. But for dps’ing I just don’t think it’s worth it over grenade or bomb. Unless if you focusing on the toolbelt, which is fantastic. The kit it self though is a bit weak imo.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tigger.8035

Tigger.8035

Refer to the longest list of bugs in the game

The Engineer Bug thread.

I’m far too ready tokittenWvW with Mortar’s range passive

in Engineer

Karast.1927

Refer to the longest list of bugs in the game

The Engineer Bug thread.

I’m far too ready tokittenWvW with Mortar’s range passive

Sometimes you’ll get away with it, but after a while people will know to focus siege and AoE on you. Thieves in particular also like to pop on you if your not in a large zerg. Your basically a stationary target well within range of most peoples aoe at 1400-1500, and the 1-2 second delay of getting off the mortar is enough to kill you in a laggy situation.

It’s really depressing to be honest! It needs a 2000 range!

in Engineer

Posted by: Tigger.8035

Tigger.8035

who said anything about using it on the ground. and when that passive starts working Not even a longbow ranger will have the range to hit Mortar, it’s range will be higher than 1500

in Engineer

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

Engineers have a lot of buggy junk but we’re by no means underpowered. Yeah, turrets blow, but every class has utilities that are awful.

in Engineer

Posted by: Killua.8041

Killua.8041

The weapon not affecting the kits is a HUGE bonus for us, no need to get exotic weapons, the only issue on that however is that sigils on weapons do not work when you’re using a kit, which is something I think should be taken into account.

O Killua O – Asura Mesmer | Killuas – Asura Engineer
Bookah Protector – Asura Guardian | Trapped Spirit – Asura Necromancer

in Engineer

Posted by: Descasus.4280

Descasus.4280

Many players seem to be having trouble using the flamethrower but it’s very useful, especially with mobs. Make sure you’re close enough and when you’re strafing, move in a circle around the enemy with your camera instead of the keys. Engineers don’t have any melee but many of their skills and all of their weapons are generally short to mid-range so try and mess around with them a bit more.

I do agree that the turrets are quite underwhelming and I’d love to see them incorporate something that allows them to gain defense as you level. It’d also be great if there was a trait that reduced the CD because with the way it is now it’s a bit of a hassle to place them. But to be honest, a lot of times when I see people using turrets they’ll simply throw them out in a group without spreading them out or they’ll have they Healing Turret out in front.

There are a lot of issues with this class but it’s only been about 2-3 weeks in so Anet will most likely try and fix these things later whether it be for better or for worse.

in Engineer

Posted by: darkoracle.6483

darkoracle.6483

Turrets should scale with your gear, flame turrets with +conditional and others with +power

in Engineer

Posted by: Punny.9210

Punny.9210

L2P

i’m fine with it. turrets are a little weak in Dung but that’s not a serious issue

or otherwise change ur class

Blackgate

in Engineer

darkoracle.6483

You miss the point punny, whether you just dinged 80 or have farmed yourself stupid and running around in T3 your turrets will not get stronger, all your other abilities WILL. The higher level and the better your gear the worse your turrets will get

in Engineer

Posted by: Punny.9210

Punny.9210

just dont use it ……

Blackgate

in Engineer

Posted by: Graywolf.6513

Graywolf.6513

I would like to see our direct support (boons and stuff) improved, even if it is just some kind of alteration on the RNG dependent elixirs.

However, people who miss with Flamethrower are lol worthy, i figured out how to hit with it on my first day, you have to keep then enemy in the centre of your camera because it is not a targeted skill, it is a conal AoE, which also means if an enemy goes invisible, you can use it and shake your screen side to side to catch them and still burn them. The issue is not Flamethrower only.

I would like more viable builds, Elixirs RNG mechanics frustrate me and drove me away from being the support i wanted to be(Had to settle for condition and vuln stacker) and the turrets need improved ability to be taken from fight to fight, CD starting on drop perhaps being a great boon to our turreteering ability.

I may be looking at it too narrow minded, but with the way abilities work, i find myself being funneled into damage specs when i want to be support. The puny 6 stacks of might i can gain from cycling throw elixirs into a tiny area pales in comparison to vuln on every grenade on the enemy. Our support with elixir gun seems healing and condition cleanse based, which means aside from compassion, there is no need to spec for this, just take it along, and our compassion come from the inventions tree, which i really struggle to find a useful trait in.

Would just like more reliable support options for buffing or defending, i was drawn by the idea of support, but it feels like all i am ever doing is damage, even if the damage brings some nifty treats with it, its still plays like damage spec.

in Engineer

darkoracle.6483

just dont use it ……

How about it gets fixed and we can all use it.

in Engineer

Posted by: godofdun.5269

godofdun.5269

Is it? I mean,

rofl, did you really get an infraction for this post? I only agree with the turret points but I still don’t see how simply stating your opinion somehow warranted an infraction lol.

in Engineer

Posted by: Escellation.9270

Escellation.9270

Someone hit the nail on the head…

STAIRS?! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

in Engineer

Posted by: Raubtier.3796

Raubtier.3796

I would like more viable builds, Elixirs RNG mechanics frustrate me and drove me away from being the support i wanted to be(Had to settle for condition and vuln stacker) …

I may be looking at it too narrow minded, but with the way abilities work, i find myself being funneled into damage specs when i want to be support. The puny 6 stacks of might i can gain from cycling throw elixirs into a tiny area pales in comparison to vuln on every grenade on the enemy. Our support with elixir gun seems healing and condition cleanse based, which means aside from compassion, there is no need to spec for this, just take it along, and our compassion come from the inventions tree, which i really struggle to find a useful trait in.

Would just like more reliable support options for buffing or defending, i was drawn by the idea of support, but it feels like all i am ever doing is damage, even if the damage brings some nifty treats with it, its still plays like damage spec.

This. It is also true for most characters. I think ANet failed hard at making every character hybrid and just made them all DDs (except guardian).

in Engineer

Posted by: Raubtier.3796

Raubtier.3796

Someone hit the nail on the head…

Some people have to realize that just because their fotm dd-spec works fine that doesn’t make the character good.
I can solo everything too with a 5 minute flamer build in spvp but my other specs still suck after weeks of refinement. Most characters in gw2 are faildesigned like that. ranger, engineer, necro to name a few…

in Engineer

Posted by: Crows.2764

Crows.2764

Turrets are good for 1 thing. There is occasionally champion guarding skill bonus place or chest etc. I setup turret on every slot I can plus supply drop. Drop them vicinity of champ and go loot/click and run away.

Turrets wont last long but enough to get job done

in Engineer

Posted by: papaganoosh.7908

papaganoosh.7908

Engi’s have been given the least love for a while it seems. I still remember a few months ago when a team mate was complaining that the Sigils on his weapons were STILL not working a few months into the game….

Papaganoosh (SPvP Officer, The Unnamed EU)

http://www.the-unnamed.com/spvpapp – recruiting skilled players for TPvP