I'm am Engineer, can dialog respect that?

in Engineer

Posted by: Duhh.4102

Duhh.4102

This is a very minor issue, but it still annoys me. I’m sure most of you are aware of the various heart missions in Asuran land that involve interacting with Asuran technology, specifically the first one you encounter in the beginning of Metrica Province. When you go to fix the broken golems, you get a dialog option based on your race: all asura can competently fix the machines, while the other races are left to mash at it in a fit of confusion. I am a human engineer and I find it out of place for my character to respond in a manner that shows no engineering mindset. Additionally, I feel that being an engineer should decrease the amount of times the Asura will end an explanation with something along the lines of, “it’s too complicated for someone like you to understand”.

tl;dr Engineers are smart, not just people who can use a gun. Make the dialog options reflect that.

Don’t mess with an Engineer, they have a box of piranhas.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilgoow.1037

Nilgoow.1037

This is a good use of developer time. +1 /signed and liked and subscribed.

in Engineer

Posted by: Fiorrello.8126

Fiorrello.8126

i also would like to +1 this

in Engineer

Posted by: Mobott.5908

Mobott.5908

While it would be nice, I think the idea is that the technology Asura use and the technology that Engineers use is different. Engineer tech is more like Charr technology.

As for the dialogue, that’s just because Asura are like that. Even if you’re as smart as them, they don’t like to acknowledge that.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

i also find it a bit odd(just odd, not a gripe) that a class tankier than Eng(supposedly) is using the long range rifle skills instead of Engineer. i enjoy eng rifle i just think it’s weird.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Posted by: Donut.6914

Donut.6914

Lol the Engineers in GW2 are not smarter than any other profession. Sure they have more imagination, but 90% of the Engineer’s tools don’t work properly. Turrets blow themselves up to do damage, half of the rifle skill bar involves blowing up your rifle, the elixirs are random and unpredictable, the rocket boots just throw you backwards, etc etc. Even though the description for the Engie pins the word “genius” on them, Engies in game are far from genius. They seem to me like average people with a crazy imagination and a knack for scrappy fighting/chaos. Those dialog options make perfect sense to me.

I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. I swung a sword again—-hey hey that’s great!

in Engineer

Posted by: Absolutionis.9427

Absolutionis.9427

Lol the Engineers in GW2 are not smarter than any other profession. Sure they have more imagination, but 90% of the Engineer’s tools don’t work properly. Turrets blow themselves up to do damage, half of the rifle skill bar involves blowing up your rifle, the elixirs are random and unpredictable, the rocket boots just throw you backwards, etc etc. Even though the description for the Engie pins the word “genius” on them, Engies in game are far from genius. They seem to me like average people with a crazy imagination and a knack for scrappy fighting/chaos. Those dialog options make perfect sense to me.

Engineers are still geniuses in that they have the intelligence to build those things.
Their curiosity just overrides their sense of safety.

It’s more like book-smarts over common sense.

in Engineer

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Golemancy =/= Engineering

An engineer might be expected to fix charr technology but the asura stuff has nothing to do with nuts and bolts engineering. Think of the difference between a theoretical physicist (those chaps with the blackboard covered in obscure equations) and a mechanic … I know which one I’d rather take my car to.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Engineer

Posted by: Donut.6914

Donut.6914

Engineers are still geniuses in that they have the intelligence to build those things.
Their curiosity just overrides their sense of safety.

It’s more like book-smarts over common sense.

You’re not a genius for building something cool, you’re a genius for building something cool that actually works.

I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. I swung a sword again—-hey hey that’s great!

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I don’t think engineers are exactly geniuses, as evidenced by lame gadgets like rockets boots that knock you back, but the are intelligent for sure. How else would they have been able to build such things?

in Engineer

Posted by: Vekthor.8914

Vekthor.8914

Any class can be equally inteligent.
Just because it means you are an engineer it doesn’t mean you are automatically above the average.

in Engineer

Posted by: Travail.7390

Travail.7390

The problem isn’t so much that the Engineer class can’t fix golems (just because you can fix a car doesn’t mean you can fix a jet engine, for example.) The problem is more that any non-Asura Engineer class approaches the problem like any other layman, seemingly without even a fundamental knowledge of the mechanical workings of machines. I agree that does seem out of place.

But then, there are plenty of quests to deal with big, bad beasts out there where Rangers aren’t recognized for their affinity with animals, subterfuge quests where Thiefs don’t get to take advantage of their stealth or steal, and the mage classes are often stumped by magic-related quandaries. Engineers aren’t alone in occasionally feeling like their class specialization isn’t taken into account by the game.

However, unless you want Guild Wars 2 to have an over-inflated budget like SW:ToR, there are certain thematic inconsistencies you’ll probably have to live with. One is that your genius of an Engineer happens to know exactly squat about golems.

-Travail.