I want my hobosack back...

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

I know this won’t be the popular opinion but… I really liked the hobosack, it was unique to Engi and it was one of the reasons I started the class back in the day before I really knew how fun the class was.

Please ANet give us an option to turn them back on if we choose to do so, at least in PvE. And do something about the ridiculous bomb kit graphics also. I don’t really want to blow things up with a wash tub..

This is simply my opinion, ideally this game gives as many people the experience they want. I’m not looking to force others back into seeing hobosacks if they don’t want to.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

I think they mentioned they hoped to make them craftable at some point.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

can’t you use a backpack skin?

in Engineer

Posted by: Puffendorf.1694

Puffendorf.1694

I miss my hobosack too!

in Engineer

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Well there is this big backpack thing that is kinda the same.

in Engineer

Bloodgruve.6038

Well there is this big backpack thing that is kinda the same.

I liked how we had different backpacks for different kits. I have a lot of backpack skins but it’s not really the same.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

/signed

Aside from Bomb Kit’s animations looking completely ridiculous, and the old Toolkit skin being the same as Bomb Kit for some unknown reason kit’s just look really incomplete without the back piece portion.

Where am I supposed to store the 5 different types of bombs/grenades/mortar rounds and 4 different med packs? Where are the apparatus that produce all the flames and gunk from FT and EG?

Toolkit is the only one I might be okay with not having a “hobosack”. Just give us the gear shield in our off hand to compliment the Fixer Upper that currently comprises our entire Toolkit somehow.

Player A: Where’d that Box of Nails, Pry Bar, Magnet, Gear Shield come from?
Player B: I dunno I swore all he had was a stupid wrench.

I get that you don’t have test servers, but hobosacks were a defining characteristic of Engineers. I’m sorry for those that want to show off their wings or whatever other vanity back pieces they have, but completely removing hobosacks is not an acceptable solution.

(edited by Sagramor.7395)

in Engineer

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

You have a problem with engineers pulling a box of nails out of nowhere, but have no problem with them pulling a giant toolkit backpack out of nowhere?

Not to mention that the flamethrower and elixir gun were completely disconnected from their backpacks, so it still didn’t really explain where they got their fuel from.

in Engineer

Sagramor.7395

You have a problem with engineers pulling a box of nails out of nowhere, but have no problem with them pulling a giant toolkit backpack out of nowhere?

Not to mention that the flamethrower and elixir gun were completely disconnected from their backpacks, so it still didn’t really explain where they got their fuel from.

I’m pretty sure it would be technically impossible to connect the two since they’re just a weapon and back piece skin. I’m perfectly okay with that, and I imagine other hobosack lovers would be as well.

Regardless, I’m pretty sure that was very low on the list of reasons people didn’t like hobosacks if it was even on the list at all. Much higher on the list were people wanting to show off their vanity back pieces, which I understand completely. A similar crowd to those wanting to be able to show off their legendary weapons while in a kit somehow. Anet can’t just knee jerk “fix” that one like they did with hobosacks. Others just didn’t like the aesthetic, which is also justified. But I personally rolled an Engi because I DID like the aesthetic.

Put a checkbox in the Hero panel for hobosacks, and another to enable legendary kit skins for those with a legendary (c’mon Anet get on that). Problem solved.

in Engineer

Posted by: kazi.6438

kazi.6438

Start a new engineer. Pick the hobosack gift. Delete new engineer and transmute your existing engineer’s backpack to the hobosack. Problem solved!

Inir [CAT]

in Engineer

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

There’s no pleasing some people.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

If you are some oddball that liked the look of the hobosacks, well no fear! There is a backpiece for you! Remember the old backpiece you had an option to get just from creating an engineer? The Universal Multi-Tool pack is here to rescue you from ever looking cool! Yes with this old backpiece that no one used, you too can impress your hipster friends with how “ironic” your unpopular backpiece is!

Create a level 1 engineer today to get your Universal Mulit-Tool pack!

Seriously, all you people that complain that you liked the hobosack, how do you forget that this exists?

Also:

…Anet can’t just knee jerk “fix” that one like they did with hobosacks….

Um….. what!?

“Knee jerk fix!?” It took us 3 flipping years to get them to remove the hobosack, that is as far from a “knee jerk fix” as you can get!

Attachments:

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

(edited by Gern.2978)

in Engineer

Posted by: Zunami.8560

Zunami.8560

Honestly, all the back pieces look so crappy.

in Engineer

Posted by: Trinity.4563

Trinity.4563

I too miss the hobo sacks on my engi. I understand that many…or most…didn’t like them and wanted to show off their shiney back pieces, and I’m cool with that. But my eng wasn’t about shiney. She was about being an eng. The sacks were part of that and now they’re gone. I spent money in the gem store buying what little eng / steampunk stuff was available and now a large part of my character’s ‘character’ is gone. Had the skins been made available for my back items, all would still be well, but instead…white wings… =(

As for the Universal multitool pack..I have it, and its not the same. “Cool” is subjective. I don’t begrudge anyone the right to show off their flashy wings or whatever. I just want my engi to look like an engi again.

(edited by Trinity.4563)

in Engineer

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

it’d be novel if the starter backpack for engies morphed based on your equipped kit, for those who did like the hobosacks

in Engineer

Posted by: Urdhgag.2450

Urdhgag.2450

I have no words for You people… well, maybe in exception of:
http://i.giphy.com/aZ3LDBs1ExsE8.gif

in Engineer

Gern.2978

I too miss the hobo sacks on my engi. I understand that many…or most…didn’t like them and wanted to show off their shiney back pieces, and I’m cool with that. But my eng wasn’t about shiney. She was about being an eng. The sacks were part of that and now they’re gone. I spent money in the gem store buying what little eng / steampunk stuff was available and now a large part of my character’s ‘character’ is gone. Had the skins been made available for my back items, all would still be well, but instead…white wings… =(

As for the Universal multitool pack..I have it, and its not the same. “Cool” is subjective. I don’t begrudge anyone the right to show off their flashy wings or whatever. I just want my engi to look like an engi again.

How does the multi-tool pack not fulfill that? It looks the same as the old hobo-sack, it even has the hobo-esque patchwork craftsmanship and red rag that serves no foreseeable purpose.

For reference:

Attachments:

(edited by Gern.2978)

in Engineer

Sagramor.7395

The Multi-tool Pack solution might work were it not for FT and EG. It doesn’t even come close to resembling either of those.

in Engineer

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

I’ll be honest, I miss the older bomb pack. For me it had a lot of character and it looked much better than the wooden half-barrels we are currently carrying around.

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Engineer

Posted by: Valior.4712

Valior.4712

Can we get the hobosacks back please? Even as gem store skins. It’s still better than this.

Pike ‘n’ Square
Nythanryn Zior, human necromancer | and others

in Engineer

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

they should just go full bakery with the bomb kit and make it look like a birthday cake.

the grenade bindle could be cupcakes, mortar is a frosting gun, tool kit a spatula, med kit is a pot holder mitten, elixir gun shoots jelly donuts…

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

And why would you say that?

People wanted a choice, not all of them wanted the backs to be completely removed.

A simple checkbox somewhere that asks “do you want bundles to overwrite backslot Visuals, yes/no?” would’ve been just peachy.
After kitten near 3 years that wouldn’t be to much to ask for.

But either everyone is forced to see hobosacks, or no one is allowed to see hobosacks. Why such extremes?

in Engineer

Posted by: Scolix.4879

Scolix.4879

Have you considered it might be different people some of us liked hobo sacks and now they are gone.

in Engineer

Posted by: Scolix.4879

Scolix.4879

I wanted a choice for people who did not like the sacks an option to disable it not complete removal i liked my hobo sacks

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Where am I supposed to store the 5 different types of bombs/grenades/mortar rounds and 4 different med packs?

Well where were you supposed to store the 5 different backpacks themselves? It’s not like you drag them in a shopping cart around or anything.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sold Out.7625

Sold Out.7625

Where am I supposed to store the 5 different types of bombs/grenades/mortar rounds and 4 different med packs?

Well where were you supposed to store the 5 different backpacks themselves? It’s not like you drag them in a shopping cart around or anything.

Well, as a hobo you clearly were supposed to have stolen the shopping cart. Duh.

Seriously though, glad the bags are gone. And I think the reaction would be much more positive if bomb kit wasn’t so borked and mortar kit didn’t look so cheap.

Leader of the Free Winds – RP, community, and all kinds of fun.
Jara Ariasdottir (Soon all classes proper!)

(edited by Sold Out.7625)

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

And I think the reaction would be much more positive if bomb kit wasn’t so borked and mortar kit didn’t look so cheap.

I think this is key. There are lots of excellent back pieces out there and moreover time and again rewards for LS1 and LS2 were back pieces that we rarely saw or interacted with between the kit back piece and shield.

I’m hopeful that these replacement skins will become more unique and interesting as they tweak them. Someone earlier posed an idea that kits evolve in look/style based on the rarity of the weapon you have equipped. This sounds like an excellent idea. I’d also be down for kit racial skins. Cause while the Charr may have invented Engineering, Asuras undoubtedly made it better.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Gern.2978

Have you considered it might be different people some of us liked hobo sacks and now they are gone.

The keyword here is “some.” They went with what the majority of Engineers wanted, and I thank them for it. There is a backpiece that looks just like the hobosack if you really want that look.

in Engineer

Bloodgruve.6038

If you are some oddball that liked the look of the hobosacks, well no fear! There is a backpiece for you! Remember the old backpiece you had an option to get just from creating an engineer? The Universal Multi-Tool pack is here to rescue you from ever looking cool! Yes with this old backpiece that no one used, you too can impress your hipster friends with how “ironic” your unpopular backpiece is!

Seriously, all you people that complain that you liked the hobosack, how do you forget that this exists?

I started this thread trying to be respectful to everyone who hated Hobosacks. I was hoping to diffuse pretentious responses like this but I guess I failed there. I never posted any derogatory remarks in the hobohate thread, why, cuz that was your opinion and it wasn’t wrong. I simply liked them and would like to see them return for those of us who want it. I personally don’t want a static back piece, I want the kits as they were.

Oddball? Hipster? Way off the mark buddy.

in Engineer

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

I am with the OP. I liked how unique our backs were. I don’t really like backpack pieces anyways and was happy to have unique ones fitting with the class and what I was using at the time.

If there was an option to select one or the other to use it would be awesome.

in Engineer

Killyox.3950

Also:

Um….. what!?

“Knee jerk fix!?” It took us 3 flipping years to get them to remove the hobosack, that is as far from a “knee jerk fix” as you can get!

Trying to be a kitten but failing at it eh ?

It doesn’t take an engineer (pun intended) to know that each kit had different hobo-sack and not just 1 universal skin like lv 1 engie.

in Engineer

Killyox.3950

Also:

Um….. what!?

Trying to be a smartbehind (a** got filtered) but failing at it eh ?

It doesn’t take an engineer (pun intended) to know that each kit had different hobo-sack and not just 1 universal skin like lv 1 engie.

in Engineer

Posted by: baldevil.8642

baldevil.8642

I hope they do add the other Engineer packs as craftable skins. I’d like to be able to run around with the flamethrower or toolkit pack again.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Really…REALLY?!?!

There’s been a constant uproar from the Enti community to hide the back piece from kits for years. The change FINALLY comes and there’s next to no word of thanks , but a thread like this pops up. If I was a dev, I’d probably stop caring about appeasing this community. I just hope they get paid well…

in Engineer

Posted by: vizups.3824

vizups.3824

kitten dem sacks i hated them i want to show off my cool Jetpack and my Spirit Smith please

in Engineer

Bloodgruve.6038

There’s been a constant uproar from the Enti community to hide the back piece from kits for years.

The uproar was from people who hated them, of course those of us who liked them wouldn’t say much. My original post simply expresses my personal opinion, I’m not saying the change is wrong at all, just that I would like the option to have mine back.