If you're doing pvp, use the medkit people

in Engineer

Posted by: Desterion.6407

Desterion.6407

I keep seeing all these people using healing turret of all things in wvw or even battlegrounds. The medkit is a far better choice. Shortest cooldown of the heals and allows you to also lay down extra heals in front of you as you’re running as well as swiftness. The #4 with a medkit is an antidote that heals conditions. It’s placed in front of you so it won’t get you out of a stun/root but anything else it’s a massive help to. During those times your heal skill is down as well you can still heal with medpacks for a few thousand. This coupled with the elixir S trait from 10 alchemy makes it very hard for people to catch and actually kill you. The #5 is also great for helping speed up travel with 10s swiftness on a 20s timer

in Engineer

Posted by: Tigger.8035

Tigger.8035

we know. and there’s also inertial converter in tools that resets it when you fall under 25 percent HP

in Engineer

Posted by: Treeckoluv.3742

Treeckoluv.3742

Fury on #5 helps a lot too. Works really well with precision/condition builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

Thanks for the tip. it is always good to remind us of things like this

in Engineer

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

Ummmm….No. Healing Turret has a combo field, medkit does not. I drop healing turret, I get healed for 6-8k depending on + healing gear (same heal as Elixer H or Medkit btw). Then, I self-destruct the turret almost immediately, activating the blast combo finisher on healing turret’s water field. This causes an AoE heal for 4-6k and regen for me and ALL of my nearby allies.

If I take Accelerant Packed Turrets, Every time I use the combo finisher (which is every time I use the heal – every 20 seconds) I get a large AoE knockback almost equivalent to using Big ’Ol Bomb.

So to some up:
Healing Turret (20 s recharge)
-Standard Heal Amount
-AoE Combo-field Heal (roughly 70% of Standard heal for you and ALL nearby allies)
-AoE Knockback (If traited with Accelerant Packed Turret)
-Recharge at 25% Health with 15 in Invention.

Healing Kit (20s recharge)
-Standard Heal
-3 Weak 1k Single Target Heals
-Remove 1 Condition
-Swiftness
-Recharge at 25% with 15 Points in Tools

Personally, I like having my mandatory healing skill do double duty as an excellent CC. I also like being able to activate a combofield to give a significant heal to ALL my allies.

in Engineer

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

edited: nevermind. Potato’s got it covered. so yeah, what he said…

edit 2: just want to add that heal turret also doesn’t remove all your abilities and pigeon hole you into a “support only” role.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

(edited by hackks.3687)

in Engineer

Posted by: Cyricus.2981

Cyricus.2981

Each has it’s place. Healing turret is good for group support/bunkering down in a spot. Medkit is better for mobility and skirmishes where you need to constantly move around. And the elixir is good for an alchemy build, outside of that, the others are superior I think.

in Engineer

PotatoOverdose.6583

Each has it’s place. Healing turret is good for group support/bunkering down in a spot. Medkit is better for mobility and skirmishes where you need to constantly move around. And the elixir is good for an alchemy build, outside of that, the others are superior I think.

Sigh, people still don’t understand combofields.

Ok, Healing Turret does not compromise Mobillity. Why? Because Proper Healing Turret Usage is 6 —→F1. You drop Healing Turret. You Press F1 to Detonate Healing Turret (Combo Finisher: Blast). Since Healing Turret Creates a water field when dropped, you activate an AoE Combo Heal with blast which gives a significant hard heal (roughly 70% of your standard heal depending on your gear) to you and all nearby allies. So you effectively get 2 heals. With Proper Traits, you also get an AoE knockback from Detonate Healing Turret that is almost as strong as Big Ol’ bomb.

>You do not sacrifice Mobillity.<————
You Drop Turret, receive the standard heal effect, blow up turret, receive AoE effects (Healing and CC if traited). The whole process takes less than a second.

in Engineer

Posted by: Cyricus.2981

Cyricus.2981

Sigh, people still don’t understand combofields.

Ok, Healing Turret does not compromise Mobillity. Why? Because Proper Healing Turret Usage is 6 —->F1. You drop Healing Turret. You Press F1 to Detonate Healing Turret (Combo Finisher: Blast). Since Healing Turret Creates a water field when dropped, you activate an AoE Combo Heal with blast which gives a significant hard heal (roughly 70% of your standard heal depending on your gear) to you and all nearby allies. So you effectively get 2 heals. With Proper Traits, you also get an AoE knockback from Detonate Healing Turret that is almost as strong as Big Ol’ bomb.

>You do not sacrifice Mobillity.<————
You Drop Turret, receive the standard heal effect, blow up turret, receive AoE effects (Healing and CC if traited). The whole process takes less than a second.

I agree, but you are sacrificing mobility in certain situations, hence why I said when you need to be mobile. I understand the turret is great in a lot of aspects, there is no need to convince me. But each one has their place with a correct build, just like I said and that’s all I meant.

in Engineer

Tigger.8035

But that requires you to get 30 points into explosives and then waste a trait slot at either master or grandmaster for the AoE knock back.

Medkit you don’t have to put points into anything for the benefit. the tools trait line just gives it more percs.

the amount of time it takes you to set up healing turret and then detonate it (which requires you to stand still while setting it up) can somewhat be more dangerous than using medkit and just running.

Not to mention INERTIAL CONVERTER the burst heal resets. So you’re looking at more Heals as you approach danger zone compared to Healing turret. Not to mention traits in tools gives you a much needed speed boost to get yourself out of those situations

it’s just like Cyricus said.

Lets face it. when an engineer gets downed, he’s dead. I’ve survived more with med kit than healing turret

and detonate healing turret? Lol you don’t even have to. It dies in pretty much 1 hit anyway.

in Engineer

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

actually the water field is created by the toobelt skill, which is pbaoe, before turret is dropped. either way though engi has multiple combo finishing options to follow it up with in virtually every spec.

it doesn’t hinder mobility in the least IMO either. turret can be cast on the move, all 3 heal skills from turret are large aoe, and aoe knock backs from turret are priceless for kiters.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in Engineer

PotatoOverdose.6583

But that requires you to get 30 points into explosives and then waste a trait slot at either master or grandmaster for the AoE knock back.

Medkit you don’t have to put points into anything for the benefit. the tools trait line just gives it more percs.

the amount of time it takes you to set up healing turret and then detonate it (which requires you to stand still while setting it up) can somewhat be more dangerous than using medkit and just running.

Not to mention INERTIAL CONVERTER the burst heal resets. So you’re looking at more Heals as you approach danger zone compared to Healing turret. Not to mention traits in tools gives you a much needed speed boost to get yourself out of those situations

it’s just like Cyricus said.

Lets face it. when an engineer gets downed, he’s dead. I’ve survived more with med kit than healing turret

and detonate healing turret? Lol you don’t even have to. It dies in pretty much 1 hit anyway.

Wrong. 20 Points in Explosive (most Condition builds go 10 for the burning trait anyway) gives you AoE knockback. My healing skill gives me 70% more healing every 20 seconds than medkit or elixer H. My Healing skill gives me an AoE knock back almost equivalent to Big Ol’ Bomb every 20 seconds. My healing skill heals ALL of my allies, —>Instantly<--.

Oh and there’s a trait at 15 Invention that resets healing turret just like INERTIAL CONVERTER. When you get to 25% health you heal. When I get to 25% health I heal for more than you, heal all nearby allies, and knock all of the melee (thieves, warriors, guardians) way back. See the difference?

And it takes half a second to setup healing turret and detonate it. Press 6 —> F1. So easy a caveman can do it.

Edit: I’m not saying healing turret is always better than med kit. But even un-traited the Heal+AoE Heal makes it a very useful alternative. So the OP, when he claimed that healing kit was the only heal skill that should be used in PvP was wrong. We can debate which skill is better under which circumstance until we’re blue in the face, but they’re both viable. And that was my point.

(edited by PotatoOverdose.6583)

in Engineer

Posted by: Prelude.3817

Prelude.3817

Healing turret also have a condition remover with its second skill…removes ALL conditions (when it works, seems bugged atm :p), on a 60sec cd.

Very, very useful in sPvP, one of the only efficient condition remover Engi has, without sacrificing a skill slot or having to get multiple weak traits.

I’d really like that to change btw: Engi is weak, extremely weak to conditions.
Must be our class “weakness”.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

@ OP
Send everyone $60 to cover the cost of our game purchase. Then you may feel free to demand what skills we use. Until then, your just an uninformed complainer. All 3 of our heals are great in all 3 game modes, and have separate, but equally valuable benefits.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Desterion.6407

Desterion.6407

I used healing turret for awhile and the bugs with it make med kit a better choice. Regen will bug at 5/tick often and the condition cleansing often doesn’t work. Theres always the times you forget to blow it up right after and you find you need the heal and it’s not available. It may work well for turtling up and zerging, but it certainly does not offer the mobility and utility for skirmishing and added escape potential. I want to like healing turret more, but it’s current bugs and the chance you forgetting to blow it up downgrade it. If you’re wanting to zerg support than switching with mortar heal round and elixir gun provides more stable healing without the chance of somebody getting 60s of 5 tick regen.

in Engineer

PotatoOverdose.6583

I used healing turret for awhile and the bugs with it make med kit a better choice. Regen will bug at 5/tick often and the condition cleansing often doesn’t work. Theres always the times you forget to blow it up right after and you find you need the heal and it’s not available. It may work well for turtling up and zerging, but it certainly does not offer the mobility and utility for skirmishing and added escape potential. I want to like healing turret more, but it’s current bugs and the chance you forgetting to blow it up downgrade it. If you’re wanting to zerg support than switching with mortar heal round and elixir gun provides more stable healing without the chance of somebody getting 60s of 5 tick regen.

Ok, I cannot UBER-emphasize this enough. If you’re using healing turret for regen in pvp, you’re doing it WRONG.
Go into heart of the mists. equip healing turret. Press 6. Wait a tiny bit (bout half a second). Press F1. Watch an INSTANT Burst heal get applied to you and all nearby allies. So you get two instant heals, two LARGE instant heals.

I run a roaming build. When a thief or warrior attacks me, the first thing I do is activate my stun breaker because, lets face it, spvp and tpvp is full of stuns up thekitten
But, the second thing I do is drop healing turret and detonate it.

This accomplishes 2 things. It out heals their burst putting me at full health (because of the added aoe combo-field heal). And it knocks the offending thief/warrior/whatever on theirkitten Because I have at least 20 pts in explosives. And then I do MY burst. And they DIE.

There is no turtling, there is no being stationary. Dropping healing turret and detonating takes HALF OF A SECOND. Ok. I’m done.

in Engineer

Posted by: Berglekut.5041

Berglekut.5041

Ummmm….No. Healing Turret has a combo field, medkit does not. I drop healing turret, I get healed for 6-8k depending on + healing gear (same heal as Elixer H or Medkit btw). Then, I self-destruct the turret almost immediately, activating the blast combo finisher on healing turret’s water field. This causes an AoE heal for 4-6k and regen for me and ALL of my nearby allies.

If I take Accelerant Packed Turrets, Every time I use the combo finisher (which is every time I use the heal – every 20 seconds) I get a large AoE knockback almost equivalent to using Big ’Ol Bomb.

So to some up:
Healing Turret (20 s recharge)
-Standard Heal Amount
-AoE Combo-field Heal (roughly 70% of Standard heal for you and ALL nearby allies)
-AoE Knockback (If traited with Accelerant Packed Turret)
-Recharge at 25% Health with 15 in Invention.

Healing Kit (20s recharge)
-Standard Heal
-3 Weak 1k Single Target Heals
-Remove 1 Condition
-Swiftness
-Recharge at 25% with 15 Points in Tools

Personally, I like having my mandatory healing skill do double duty as an excellent CC. I also like being able to activate a combofield to give a significant heal to ALL my allies.

This is exactly why you take Healing Turret over anything else currently. I use medkit all the time but it’s at the start of the match for 5 and running between nodes with 5. I immediately switch back to turret once I drop 5. When defending I sometimes quickly switch to medkit drop everything and switch back to turret. I have even played around with mines using toolbelt mine ability and the mine itself you can get a crazy AoE heal out of the combo with either turret toolbelt or the turrets water combo field. When using the turret just drop it and as soon as the first regen buff tics pick it back up, it has an extremely short cd. Healing turret is amazing if used properly, just dropping it and leaving it doesn’t do it justice.

(edited by Berglekut.5041)

in Engineer

Posted by: Morthis.3968

Morthis.3968

I agree that the healing turret is very useful when detonated to combo it’s water field, but the water field combo isn’t anywhere near as strong as the turret’s own heal. Turret heal is like 5k without gear, and the water combo is like 1300 without gear. That’s not two big heals, that’s one big heals and a nice bonus (with the added benefit of it being AoE).

Compare it to the medkit, which heals for the same, typically with a slightly lower cooldown (thanks to traits). Medkit also gets 3 medpacks for ~1k each (again without gear), a condition removal, and the fury/swiftness.

In the end, which is more useful is gonna depend on the situation. Using the medpacks is more time intensive, but it also heals for slightly more (on one target). The turret is by no means a stationary thing though, you can run away, drop the turret and combo it without missing the combo heal, so it’s not as if you need to huddle around it waiting for the combo.

in Engineer

Posted by: RapBreon.9836

RapBreon.9836

I mostly agree with potato, you sacrifice zero mobility when using the healing turret and if you don’t need the water blast you can pick it up and make it a 15 second cooldown (making it the shortest minus a 30 point tool med-kit).

It only requires timing and practise to use effectively and a tiny bit more timing if you can time the detonate/pick-up just after it ‘fires’ to get a free regen buff as well. You don’t even need accelerant-packed turrets to make healing turret amazing.

The only thing I disagree with Potato on, is the amount the water combo field heals for it only heals for 1.3k for me + the 5k heal bringing it up to 6.5kish + regen. Not even close to 3k.

in Engineer

Posted by: WhiteCrow.5310

WhiteCrow.5310

The medkit is meant to be swapped to frequently on the fly in tandem with what ever else you’re doing; that’s why it isn’t too popular with many people. People don’t like to switch to things they feel are useless at the given moment, but the low cooldowns on medkit practically call for repeated swaps.

I’ve used it that way on and off for a while, but the amount of effort required far outweighs the gain and it just isn’t for me. You can keep yourself healed up pretty well, but there’s no sense in doing it if you can just stack regen instead.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

in Engineer

Posted by: JoxerNL.3752

JoxerNL.3752

Clearly OP isn’t too well versed with our class, since putting up my heal turret gives me a large heal + regen + another large heal from the combo, all of which are AoE, so im more usefull for my group AND healing alot more.

in Engineer

Posted by: CptCosmic.3156

CptCosmic.3156

sorry but the healing turret is by far better in WvW.

1. you place the turret and quickly pick it up => AOE heal and regeneration and 15 second cooldown recharge
2. AOE combo water field from the toolbelt with mine field => crazy amounts of heal

(edited by CptCosmic.3156)

in Engineer

JoxerNL.3752

2. AOE combo water field from the toolbelt with mine field => crazy amounts of heal

Actually the turret puts down the same AoE, just explode the turret 0.5 seconds after the top thingy starts spinning, once you get the timing you only need your turret for the combo.

in Engineer

CptCosmic.3156

Actually the turret puts down the same AoE, just explode the turret 0.5 seconds after the top thingy starts spinning, once you get the timing you only need your turret for the combo.

the mine field toolbelt triggers the combo field 5 times and is alot easier to time right.

in Engineer

JoxerNL.3752

the mine field toolbelt triggers the combo field 5 times and is alot easier to time right.

I have no problem doing it anymore after a day of WvWing, sPvPing and some dungeoning.
Guess it’s upto the player in the end

in Engineer

CptCosmic.3156

I have no problem doing it anymore after a day of WvWing, sPvPing and some dungeoning.
Guess it’s upto the player in the end

that is not the point. the point is the mine field triggest the combo FIVE times. the turret explosion only once.

in Engineer

Posted by: KennyOOSeven.4637

KennyOOSeven.4637

I’m going to have to play with the healing turret more. I’ve had mixed results triggering the combo, but that’s almost certainly due to the fact that I thought you had to place it, use its condition removal skill, THEN detonate. To think of the time I was wasting.

More on topic, I have and have used the med kit, but it didn’t seem to hold a candle to the healing turret.

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

3 things about the healing turret

1. if you detonate it at the right time it will activate it’s water combo field for an AoE heal. With solid + healing this can be extremely nice.
  1. with elixir gun or someone else putting up a regeneration buff it is easy to maintain full up time regeneration
  1. for crit power builds using static discharge. Using the tool belt, then summoning and detonating can easily get you a 3-6k burst of dps.

Additionally traits such as the AoE KB and Turret placement traits can turn healing turret into an on demand AOE KB or place-able AOE KB.

It takes a lot of micromanagement to use the turret to its full capabilities. If you simply set and forget it’s not worth using, and as a run away / soloer heal medkit is better. But in group situations healing turret is fantastic.

in Engineer

Posted by: Alonso Quijano.8534

Alonso Quijano.8534

Medkit is great when you’re traited for toolbelt skill recharge, but otherwise I disagree with healing turret as being obsolete, for these reasons:

1) 15 second cooldown if you pick the turret up right away, making it the shortest CD and the most healing per cooldown second without requiring any traits. You still get a decent regeneration buff even if you pick it up instantly.

2). Decent condition removal. The CD is long, but the condition removal on medkit doesn’t usually help me too much. Getting only to remove one condition when you have multiple conditions on you just leaves it to chance which condition will be removed. I prefer the remove all conditions on a longer CD, as it can really save your life in a condition heavy fight.

There are still, of course, reasons to take medkit over healing turret. Being traited for it, having a crit heavy build that benefits a lot out of the fury buff, needing a swiftness boost if you don’t run the perma-swiftness on kits, etc. They’re both very viable skills in my opinion.

in Engineer

Posted by: lordmitz.2047

lordmitz.2047

am i the only one who uses elixir H? :p

in Engineer

Posted by: safetybelt.5078

safetybelt.5078

I’ll be 100% honest and admit to not reading the entire thread because I saw so much misinformation in the first few posts.

First of all, with 0 traits, the healing turret heals for more on a SHORTER cooldown AND it has multiple combo fields AND a better condition removal (although it’s sort of buggy).

You can put the turret out then push F to pick it up, lowering the cooldown by 5 seconds. This puts it at a base 15 second cooldown. You can also wait for half a second and explode it to get an extra AoE heal because of the combo of the water field + the blast from the explosion. You can also put it down then use the condition removal and then either pick it up or explode it. The F1 also puts down a (very short) combo field that you can use to get another AoE heal.

The medkit definitely is a solid choice, especially if you have traits in the Tools line, but the Healing Turret is not automatically bad. I use the medkit when I run my Power Rifle build, but I use the turret for my defensive condition damage pistol/shield/bomb build.

I’ve even seen an Elixir engineer do fairly well with Elixir H. I haven’t tried it myself, but I doubt its completely useless.

Edit:
Looks like some of the later posts covered everything I said, but I’ll leave it just to reinforce that there are other options and trying everything for yourself is a good idea, rather than blindly following someone’s advice.

Engineer – Maguuma – [PETP]

(edited by safetybelt.5078)

in Engineer

Posted by: Kryzen.6803

Kryzen.6803

I’ve even seen an Elixir engineer do fairly well with Elixir H. I haven’t tried it myself, but I doubt its completely useless.

Elixer H is only good if you are running 409, but when you run it, its great. If you arnt running 409, take medkit or heal turret based on your build.

Krygitzu
Dragonbrand – Looking for new guild

in Engineer

Posted by: Mighty Favazz.1546

Mighty Favazz.1546

Still learning the trade and am happy to stumble upon the combo field mechanic with the healing turret and I’ll have to try it.
That said, I’m really happy with med kit in sPvP for this one reason:
When I am roaming and reach a point that is enemy owned and unoccupied, I immediately begin dropping bandages and the condition remover. Most times I can put down 2 sets before an enemy pops up.
That’s the real benefit of med kit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Troubleshooter.4238

Troubleshooter.4238

Elixer H is only good if you are running 409, but when you run it, its great. If you arnt running 409, take medkit or heal turret based on your build.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is 409 ?

in Engineer

Tigger.8035

Forgive my ignorance, but what is 409 ?

Cleansing formula 409 is a trait that gives elixirs the ability to remove conditions upon consumption

in Engineer

Posted by: Arsenica.2105

Arsenica.2105

personal here. i think med pack is great because, hell its much more complete, it removes conditions, heal and grants swiftness.
BUT. what happens when you backpedal??!! your dead because you dont get to step on the med packs. thats a problem(suppose you cannot set the packs on advance, that you are on a rush).
personally, for me on spvp: i get the turret and the elixir R?(the one that turns all conditions into random boons)
so if i come across a condition dmg guy i just let conditions stack then use the elixir. which is, way more efective than just removing conditions, becouse, hey you get an extra advantage there. and the turret because then i can detonate it and push ppl off the point, something you cannot do with med packs.
again, personal opinion. but i really did learn a lot from this thread, so keep it up^^

in Engineer

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I like to use both in different situations. That’s the way it should be. Both have advantages.

in Engineer

Posted by: Andazeus.1928

Andazeus.1928

When not traited, both, elixir h and medkit a kinda meh.

It’s the traits that make them useful. As has been stated above, elixir h with cf409 is incredibly useful, especially when considering that it gives you a condition removal for your whole group.

Medkit is great when you go for swiftness and vigor on kit switch. Also the 25% toolbelt recharge trait allows you to use the heal two times in a fight, as the actual heal is a toolbelt skill.

It really just depends on your setup.

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

Which heal you use, really should be decided by what you trait.

As others have said. Elixir H gets MUCH stronger with alch traits.
20% cooldown reduc, Condition removal on use, and +might on use. Aoe cond removal on throw, aoe might on throw. 30% longer boon duration.

Same applies for turret. Turret without targeted turrets, no thanks. some of the knockbacks, etc nice too.

If I had to pick one for a glass cannon build that has no specific benenfit? probably med kit. The toolbelt skill becomes your primary heal in that situation. the rest are bonus.