Inventions - Group Support

in Engineer

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

This line seems very weak, it seems that this is meant to be our group support line. But the healing in it is woefully inadequate in a game where getting bursted for 10k in all of 1second is commonplace or where you tick for 4k burns. And the range on Heal Resonator/Soothing Detonation/Medical Dispersion Field is 240 which is terrible when compared to the Guardians 600 on the majority of their healing skills. This is the class you will be competing with for a group support role.

Cleansing Synergy is good, no complaints here, the 1st tier options are alright, reduce shield cooldown with a kicker protection buff, AMR and ABD are all solid choices.

Heal resonator is 6 seconds 780 heal with a 240 radius, so 130/sec, this skill actually scales quite well with healing power. At 1010 healing power it is 1536 heal so 256/sec My issue is it is no-where near enough given the damage floating around in this game. What is 256/sec when you can easily be getting hit for 4k burn ticks?

Tier 2 options if you are not running turrets you take mecha legs, a good choice, soothing detonation is useless for anything ever as far as i can tell, a 340HP heal in a 240 radius, wtf use is that to anyone? Just say i fire off 3 blasts, not uncommon considering HT gives me 1 off the bat, that is 1000 hps, maybe you wated to save that magnetic shield for the reflects or the rocket boots for the immob break. If i am using these on fields can we get this T2 skill actually add some decent burst healing? And this ability from what i can tell has 0 scaling with healing power which brings me to my next trait.

Energy Amplifier, so not only is Soothing Detonation not affected by healing power but i am getting a bonus 250 to the most useless stat in the game. Sure it’s a minor so im not going to complain too much.

And our T3, again if you are taking turrets you are fine here but outside that, bunker down is ok, sure. Medical Dispersion Field, 12% of the healing i receive? This is problematic, as a lot of the time im not the 1 needing the healing that i throw the water field down for if im playing the support role. So in effect im not being healed for anything(or very little) as im throwing down the water field for a groupie. Which renders this useless, lets say im 2k down in hps, the HT will top that up so im handing out for my T3 trait a whopping 240hps to people standing on top of me(240 radius), seems really weaksauce for our top tier group support trait.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

in Engineer

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

I agree with you, i’d really like to have a bit more utility in the heal area…and dat medikit bail, too

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

How I’d fix it:

- Explosive Powder keg – no ICD
- Thermobaic reaction – no ICD
- Soothing detonation – doubles the effect of waterfield blasts (Only proc’s when we blast a field. does not proc when others blast our fields)
- Energy Amplifier – Switches place with healing resonator / grant 150 toughness to allies in 600 range while under the influence of regeneration. 2nd effect: Proc aegis for 5sec when being hit. 15sec ICD (Armor mods is back, now with improved group-support)
- Bunker down – ticks 500 healing (scales 0.5 with healing-power) in 360 range whenever it procs. Affects yourself + 4 allies / drops a mine that explodes automatically after 10sec or when enemies cross its proximity range. (While not bound to bombs, that should bring the group-support from elixir-infused bombs back)
- Healing resonator – Switches place with energy-amplifier – whenever your traits / utilities / boons / blasts grant you healing, grant 10% of that healing to yourself + 4 allies in 360 range. NO ICD (that should prevent infinite back&forth spreading between 2 or more engis running that trait) / (great synergy with bunker down, and support builds in general)

As chorazin said, in a balancing where people spike-burst you pretty fast, we should have meaningful ways of group-support, so toughness-spread and drastically improved group hps would be the way to go. Also, I switched energy-amplifiers place with healing-resonator to
a) get improved synergy between bunker down and our minor
b) to give players the options to choose between group-regeneration + arial denial (bunker down) or group-dmg reduction + dmg negation (energy amplifier) as grandmaster-decision.
In addition, we would get a class-unique buff, improving the groups toughness, that can stack with the class-unique buff of guardians, while further giving us more frequent personal aegis. this should greatly improve our synergy with guardians IF a guardian chooses to run the bunker option.

And our doubled output of water-field blast healing, should finally give us a solid spot back in the meta, being more than just nade-dispenser and anti-rampage/lich/plague bots. Also, it would greatly buff the currently popular FT build, since it has access to frequent blasts, while also rewarding ppl more, who choose mortar for its waterfield + thermobaic reaction.

I’ve considered buffing backpack regenerator as well, but for a master-trait, giving roughly 50% of “bunker down”‘s hps output, I guess it’s fine where it is, especially since the alchemy line already has many solid traits.

These changes can potentially be OP, but from my POV it’s better to over-do it once, to see how it goes, and then gradually tune it down, until it has a solid balancing with other classes.

edit: forgot about medkit.
- #1 should heal for 500 per tick, with decent healing-power scaling. It is way too weak in its current iteration. The long-cast time & obvious animation should be “red-flag” enough for the enemy-team to deal with the supporting engi, but if they fail to do so, healing up allies with medkit should have a meaningful impact on the fight.
- Optionally, all dropped flasks should be replaced with shout-like skills, roughly performing the same and affecting allies in a 240 radius. since they now affect multiple people, their cd’s can be upped for compensation. I’d rather see them not having any cast-time, hence “shout-like”. the F1 should keep its cast-time ofc.

edit: heal-resonator == medical dispersion field.
I completely kittened that up on multiple spots in my posts. Whenever you read heal-resonator in this post, think medical dispersion field.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

(edited by Arantheal.7396)

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

Remove ICD from Medical Dispersion Field.

in Engineer

Chorazin.4107

Im guessing all these healing/supporty traits in the inventions line were meant to have some decent synergy so we didnt miss the elixir infused bombs trait. Id like to hear from someone thats actually really gone all out with the healing power and tried to make this line work and play as a group support build.

As for the medkit, that deserves a thread all on its own its that bad.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I can’t help but feel that soothing detonation was supposed to replace Elixer infused bombs… but it doesn’t. It lacks the oomph to really shine. It needs multiple blasts to have any power in it. And, well, we only have so many even when traited up for them.

Having it work on any combo, or boosting it’s healing would do a lot, not sure if enough. Ya’ll covered most though.

And, I totally agree on med kit deserving it’s own thread. I was really excited for “healsplosion” instead we get this… well lackluster skill even when traited.

in Engineer

Posted by: NiBlack.3149

NiBlack.3149

@Chorazin – I am quite sure that after final version most people swapped their cleric gear for something other (I went celestial → a bit mixed coz I didn’t got enough mats for full). Not only we lost lot of healing, but also lot of power (to power converting skills → I think I lost like 200-300 power even with 30% stats buff). And of course new conditions, that make toughness quite bad stat.

in Engineer

Posted by: Are.1326

Are.1326

I feel like this line had a lot of good ideas but many of the traits are under tuned or suffers from ICD syndrom.

• Cleansing Pulse do not need an ICD, the only time you will hit the ICD wall is when Automated Medical Response kicks in.
  • Automated Medical Reponse have a 90 sec cooldown, while 10 was way to short, 90 sec is to much if the trait can trigger when the skill is not even on cooldown. It also needs to reset the cooldown of Clensing burst on Healing turret.
  • Soothing Detonation isn’t even noticable at the moment, I ran it for a while and havn’t feelt a diffrence since I swapped away from it. A number tweek could be a simple fix, but making it act on all combo finishers and not just blast finishers could make this an interesting pick in many builds, mortar could even become something like our old elixir infused bombs.
  • Advanced Turrets, I would not even run this in a full turret build. 33% dmg reduction is nothing when the turret only have 1 hp (effectivly) .The bubble spawns way to late to reflect anything as a reaction, and lasts to short to force ranged enemies to repossision.
  • Medical Dispersion Field, this trait triggers on weak heals from allies and gets put on a 5 sec ICD. It is also completly selfless and unnoticable by allies. I think it should be redesigned to only trigger when an engineer gives health to himself, no ICD or healing ammount limit. This way engineers can run Backpack regen and passivly heal allies for a small amount.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

A lot of what we’ve got is sustained healing, which is very much like what the Ele has. We have so many sources of it that it should work but that no longer fits with the way people play in PvP.

What I’ve found that does work is burst healing. I can literally take a teammate from 10% to 60% and myself from 10% to 100% in a few seconds.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqelUUhSuYfWwyKw6FLWG0YGew6Dr+13qYyCw3B-TJxHwAOLD4b/BDnAAAPAAA

I’ve been running similar set-ups to the above. What I’ve found is that even with Settler’s burst still hits you hard even with the amount of toughness you have. Celestial works better in surviving direct burst attacks and it does an okay amount of healing.

I haven’t tried many other amulets yet but it’s a promising concept if a team were to play around the use of it.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Chorazin.4107

Im not sure just bringing healing to the group is enough to warrant a place. Or more importantly to displace some other class specced for support(Guardian). I think you need to bring condi pressure, DPS pressure, condi clear, or boons in addition to healing.

I main a support guard for a havoc group on YB and he just brings so much to the table for the group. I have 65% boon duration with staff equipped for quickness/stability uptime for the entire group. My shouts remove conditions on the group, i have purging flames and traited VoR for another 6 conditions removed from the group and i take save yourselves where i can clear the entire group of condis.

On the healing side my empower hits for around 3k on a 600 radius plus 12 might stacks every 16 seconds. Energy on both weapon sets and decent vigour uptime see my dodge rolls pumping out 1.5k heals. Traited VoR and VoC, VoR whilst being nerfed recently with the radius scaling back from 1200 to 600 is still amazingly good. Because it is instant and cannot be interrupted, in a game with the sort of burst GW2 has instant healing is gold.

I just look over what my engineer has and kind of go ‘meh’. I can set up water fields for some blasts but other than setting up for healing with water fields it’s all kind of lacklustre. I mean the burst from empower is 3k plus 12 might stacks every 16 seconds.

I am putting together a healing build with some DPS pressure to trial it out, im just not convinced that it will be as useful or effective as my support Guard for the group.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

(edited by Chorazin.4107)