Is Airblast bugged?

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Tharjax.9068

Tharjax.9068

When I use this skill it never stacks burning like it says it should. Anyone else experiencing this?

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Specterryu Quipter.8412

Specterryu Quipter.8412

Just tested this, now confirmed to be FUBAR.

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Worked for me yesterday and I was skirmishing a Ranger.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

I recall using it just the other day and it added 2 second to pre-existing burn.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

It adds 2 seconds to pre-exisisting burn condition.

Works fine here.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Tharjax.9068

Maybe I am missing something but to me it seems the descriptions in this game are very vague. Nowhere in the Airblast description does it say “Extends Burning for 2 seconds”

It says “Burning 2 sec (# Damage)” How is someone new suppose to automatically know what it actually means?

And that can also mean that I could be interpreting more things differently then they actually mean.

ArenaNet should offer an option that either turns on and off descriptive skills that say what each skill actually does. I for one cannot stand vagueness especially when you need to theory craft.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

clearly states in the patch notes that airblast extends burning for 2 seconds.

you cannot count on tooltips in this game, you have to read the patch notes consecutively.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Specterryu Quipter.8412

Specterryu Quipter.8412

clearly states in the patch notes that airblast extends burning for 2 seconds.

you cannot count on tooltips in this game, you have to read the patch notes consecutively.

It doesn’t take much to simply update a tooltip, just saying.

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

apparently it does. anet does not have a good track record of QA control.

look, i get that it is frustrating, but at this point, the mewling is less productive than being level headed and recognizing anet’s patterns.

you still have the responsibility of keeping apprised of the patch notes, that is what they are there for. patch notes are not some monthly present from dad when he comes home from some business trip. they are the legal representation of what you can expect from this game as per your EULA, snapshots in time for investors and bean counters.

“Game content likely to change.” Patch noes are the most current game content, and the patches (and their respective notes) are cumulative, not independent from one another.

People have complained about this kittene for 14 years now and it still hasn’t changed, but what gets me is that people complain as though this is some new, jagged, deep bleeding wound of pestilent insult from the developers. it isn’t. you have not been harmed.

get over it.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

apparently it does. anet does not have a good track record of QA control.

look, i get that it is frustrating, but at this point, the mewling is less productive than being level headed and recognizing anet’s patterns.

you still have the responsibility of keeping apprised of the patch notes, that is what they are there for. patch notes are not some monthly present from dad when he comes home from some business trip. they are the legal representation of what you can expect from this game as per your EULA, snapshots in time for investors and bean counters.

“Game content likely to change.” Patch noes are the most current game content, and the patches (and their respective notes) are cumulative, not independent from one another.

People have complained about this kittene for 14 years now and it still hasn’t changed, but what gets me is that people complain as though this is some new, jagged, deep bleeding wound of pestilent insult from the developers. it isn’t. you have not been harmed.

get over it.

Nakoda… in all fairness: a game like this should have clear tooltips.
it’s the product they deliver.

They have tooltips.
Tooltips are USELESS if not clear!
So it’s their job to make them clear.
If they are not clear, than they failed at delivering tooltips in the first place. Than they simply added some useless flavor text that helps nobody for real.

The fact that other games had poor tooltips as well, is no excuse for this company no to deliver a finished product. Because poor tooltips are just that: the lack of time invested in writing and updating them.

Smaller games may have issues following all the tooltips up, but a game with this revenue should have someone going over them each patch.

Your whole argument holds some ground, but the bottom line is: in a game this big a tooltip should be clear.
No ifs, buts or ands…

People have a right to point at the bad tooltips.
This company is too big to need you to jump in their defense for a what is a minor investment from their part.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

To add to the current example of someone joining this game:

when you join a new game, you do NOT read old patchnotes to see what each button does.
You read the bloody tooltip!
That’s what it’s there for.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Tharjax.9068

To add to the current example of someone joining this game:

when you join a new game, you do NOT read old patchnotes to see what each button does.
You read the bloody tooltip!
That’s what it’s there for.

This is exactly it. I am new to the game, I would expect the tool tips to define exactly what it does. Why on earth would I go and read through pages of patch notes to see which one of my abilities does what it says it does?

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

It’s the dev’s responsability to update the tooltips to the latest patchnotes… not the other way around for us to double check the tooltips with all the patchnotes there ever were.

I find the reasoning that it is ‘our responsability’ to compare tooltips to old patch notes extremely odd.

This is a computer game: you buy it, install it. You log in and you try to figure out how everything works IN THE GAME.
How? By reading tooltips for example.

Flame blast happens to be one of those tooltips that don’t cover what is said in the patchnotes.
This is not whining, it’s pointing at the fact that the people working on this game slipped up on this one.

If a patch note is not reflected in the game, the designers did it wrong… not us!

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

/shrug

people who don’t vote complain about politics too. i suppose this is no different.

/p

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

/shrug

people who don’t vote complain about politics too. i suppose this is no different.

/p

It is VERY different.

This is a commercially sold game.
We buy it.
In that game, by common game design, there are tooltips to explain what each button does.If the devs change an ability in that game, it is THEIR job to adjust the tooltip.
It is not our responsability to check if the tooltip is in fact still accurate.

You compare this to voting in a democracy?
You think this is the same as taking up political responsability?
You sincerely argue that it is the same principle to vote and be politically aware as it is to read old patch notes to see if any tooltip is wrong?

Seriously, step back a moment, put things in perspective.

This is both a commercial product, and an ‘honest’ product in the sense that we can trust that in-game information is actually correct about how things work in that game.

In politics their is no other guarantee than checking and double-checking sources, comparing opinions, hoping no information is held back.

How you can argue one is the same as the other is beyond me.
And mostly it shows me how you go way out of your way to defend something that is very simply… an oversight of the developpers.

Their is no ‘responsability’ a gamer should have to correct tooltips the developpers forgot to adjust, or simply wrote misleading.

Patch notes changed an ability? Good, now go and change the tooltip so your product is up to date again.
Plain and simple.

Voting? Democracy?
For real?
it’s a game… it has small bit of text about what the little gamy thingies do.

edit: I should add this:
Nakoda, I still respect your engineer skills a lot, and I don’t mind anyone disagreeing with me. But on this matter, you’re losing the perspective.
Taking up responsability is very important to me as well in life.
Just not when it comes to tooltips in a game I bought… than it’s their job to make them correct, not mine

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Maybe I am missing something but to me it seems the descriptions in this game are very vague. Nowhere in the Airblast description does it say “Extends Burning for 2 seconds”

It says “Burning 2 sec (# Damage)” How is someone new suppose to automatically know what it actually means?

And that can also mean that I could be interpreting more things differently then they actually mean.

ArenaNet should offer an option that either turns on and off descriptive skills that say what each skill actually does. I for one cannot stand vagueness especially when you need to theory craft.

This has been a concern for quite awhile.

ArenaNet has stated that they want to spend the next update (or the one after the next) focusing a lot on tidying up tooltips, and making them more accurate and informative. There’s been some rather inaccurate, misleading, or non-sensical things around since launch, so hopefully they’ll follow through and clean a lot of them up.

I think part of the delay is that they’ve just been going through a tedious process of figuring out all the numbers they need to track so that the tooltips will properly reflect the necessary information.

So we’ll have to wait and see, but hopefully not too long.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

ArenaNet has stated that they want to spend the next update (or the one after the next) focusing a lot on tidying up tooltips, and making them more accurate and informative. There’s been some rather inaccurate, misleading, or non-sensical things around since launch, so hopefully they’ll follow through and clean a lot of them up.

I think part of the delay is that they’ve just been going through a tedious process of figuring out all the numbers they need to track so that the tooltips will properly reflect the necessary information.

This is the main practical point in all this theoretical nonsense.
Next patch won’t bring big changes, but it should indeed be a clean-up patch.
Let’s hope this will be one of the things they clean up.
Because let’s face it: that tooltip does suggest it gives a new 2 seconds of burning, while it doesn’t…

The main fear is: how much time can they spend on this clean-up? Because frankly: they have a ton of it to do.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Yamsandjams.3267

This is the main practical point in all this theoretical nonsense.
Next patch won’t bring big changes, but it should indeed be a cean-up patch.
Let’s hope this will be one of the things they clean up.
Because let’s face it: that tooltip does suggest it gives a new 2 seconds of burning, while it doesn’t…

The main fear is: how much time can they spend on this clean-up? Because frankly: they have a ton of it to do.

Whatever the case, I’m pretty sure the tooltip for elixir U will still be as confusing as ever. That thing is beyond hope.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Sorry, but they could hire a high school intern to update the text of tooltips.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

Sorry, but they could hire a high school intern to update the text of tooltips.

Given some of the proper engrish in the game, I’d be kinda surprised if it wasn’t already done by one.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Tharjax.9068

Yes indeed, an updated tooltip would be a huge help for new players trying to figure the game out and make it more newbie friendly.

I would also hope that somewhere in-game they put the combo information. I would like to have that accessible, even if i have to open some sort of screen that helps me out with how the combo system works.

All in all I don’t have huge complaints about this game. I actually REALLY like this game! This is something that I just noticed and thought I would post about.

So please don’t think that I am supportive of a Anet bashing session, just more of “hey help the game be more accessible to new players and not confusing”.

So last but not least, thanks Anet, your game kicks major butt, I am enjoying my time playing it and I know you will fix these issues, because I know you care about your player base!

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

Yes indeed, an updated tooltip would be a huge help for new players trying to figure the game out and make it more newbie friendly.

I would also hope that somewhere in-game they put the combo information. I would like to have that accessible, even if i have to open some sort of screen that helps me out with how the combo system works.

All in all I don’t have huge complaints about this game. I actually REALLY like this game! This is something that I just noticed and thought I would post about.

So please don’t think that I am supportive of a Anet bashing session, just more of “hey help the game be more accessible to new players and not confusing”.

So last but not least, thanks Anet, your game kicks major butt, I am enjoying my time playing it and I know you will fix these issues, because I know you care about your player base!

They do have a sort of ‘middle road’ system to tell you what combo’s or other things do:

if you type in something in your chat window, starting by /wiki you immediately get windowed out and open your browser on the wiki page of that skill or ability.
In your example: in game you type /wiki combo and you’ll likely get the browser to open on the general page on combo’s.
Works on anything that is in the wiki, or it will open it at the error page saying there isn’t anything on it.

This is a pretty smart feature, and helps if you want to check something on the spot without the hasstle of manually looking for it.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Just keep sending them bug reports about the bad tooltips and they will eventually fix it.

Apparently this month is for fixes on bugged traits and things like that so hopefully, we’ll see better tooltips.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Still can’t understand why, after spending x number of hours changing a skill, the programmer can’t then find the line of text in the code & simply edit the text. It’s really as simple as that. It takes longer to find the code than change it, and I’m sure there’s a search function in there. It’s just text. If tooltips can’t be current, then there shouldn’t be any. What’s the point of a wrong tooltip? Might as well just see “shoot stuff” hovering over every gun skill.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

Still can’t understand why, after spending x number of hours changing a skill, the programmer can’t then find the line of text in the code & simply edit the text. It’s really as simple as that.

no it’s not. some dev explained it once, months ago. i’m too lazy to look for the thread now, but the gist of it was: it’s a long, tedious and costly process mainly due to the required localization. they have to wait and pay for everything they need transalted into french, german and spanish. if i remember correctly, they even have to do that if they just change around numbers, too. which i find ironic.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Brinson.7289

Brinson.7289

They shouldn’t be making the game in the other regions if its too hard to correct a tooltip. Just stick to english and worry about 1 set of tooltips.
If any 1 thing in the game should be polished; it should be the little notes that tell you what your character is capable of.
Buuuut this is anet we’re talking about. So we’ll just have to deal with broken notes and traits until they get done finding new ways to Nerf us.

\-\ Poquito (Engineer) /-/ Tarnished Coast
Not Sure If Serious [BZNZ] ||| Cynical [CYN]

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

They shouldn’t be making the game in the other regions if its too hard to correct a tooltip. Just stick to english and worry about 1 set of tooltips.
If any 1 thing in the game should be polished; it should be the little notes that tell you what your character is capable of.
Buuuut this is anet we’re talking about. So we’ll just have to deal with broken notes and traits until they get done finding new ways to Nerf us.

someone is open minded….

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Yamsandjams.3267

Still can’t understand why, after spending x number of hours changing a skill, the programmer can’t then find the line of text in the code & simply edit the text. It’s really as simple as that.

no it’s not. some dev explained it once, months ago. i’m too lazy to look for the thread now, but the gist of it was: it’s a long, tedious and costly process mainly due to the required localization. they have to wait and pay for everything they need transalted into french, german and spanish. if i remember correctly, they even have to do that if they just change around numbers, too. which i find ironic.

It’s better if they do them all in a lump anyways. That way they can ensure more consistent formatting, and we don’t have to get interrupted frequently in WvW and such because a tooltip needed updating.

Mind you, I think they put off the tooltip updates a bit long, but I guess they had been previously focusing a lot more on balance stuff during which tooltips were in flux.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Raestloz.7134

Raestloz.7134

Ah… business… he only area where the little things cost absurd money

This is why we can’t have nice things

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Punkins.2087

Punkins.2087

On the bright side, in the face of broken tooltips, one can always just play the game to figure things out.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Kimbald.2697

On the bright side, in the face of broken tooltips, one can always just play the game to figure things out.

oh, I agree very much that we can work our way around it.
Not just by simply playing and finding out ourselves, as you say, but also as Nakoda pointed at: the patch notes are always there to check how things are supposed to work.
We can find our way indeed.

The core of my argument, the reason why I was objecting to these workarounds, is simply because I think it is the responsability of the dev’s to make the tooltips work… not ours.

That’s a theoretical argument. For all practical matters, I do read the patchnotes and I do test things out in the game itself.

Is Airblast bugged?

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

It’s better if they do them all in a lump anyways. That way they can ensure more consistent formatting, and we don’t have to get interrupted frequently in WvW and such because a tooltip needed updating.

Mind you, I think they put off the tooltip updates a bit long, but I guess they had been previously focusing a lot more on balance stuff during which tooltips were in flux.

Like say…every month? When they update the skills? I’m not expecting daily updates to tooltips for hotfixes and bug reports. But for the big monthly content patches, when they revamp/rebuild/buff/nerf/move a skill/trait…the least they could do is properly describe (via tooltip) what it does.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)