Is the Engineer a Rewarding Class to Learn?

in Engineer

Posted by: HappyHubris.1096

HappyHubris.1096

I’ve been trying out HoT with the Elementalist and Necromancer, but am interested in something new. I always enjoy high-skill-cap classes in MMO-type games, and the engineer seems to be the closest to that in PvE and PvP. My biggest annoyance with most GW2 classes is that you camp autoattack and supplement with a few skills, which is a fairly passive way to play. Elementalist is a bit more button-driven, but the “optimal” specs are still very constrictive: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Staff_DPS#Usage

1) Do you find tool-swapping to be a satisfying mechanic? It seems overwhelming to build reflexive use of all those tools/skills!
2) Is engineer effective in world PvE/instanced PvE/sPvP?
3) Is this type of build typical for the engineer class? (http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Scrapper_-_Power_Grenadier)

in Engineer

Posted by: Dimes.6024

Dimes.6024

1) yes
2) yes
3) you may play anything in dungeons, for raids condi is better

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

for Pve i run Static discharge

explosives, rocket and siege rounds
tools take down round, static discharge, endurance
inventions or firearms basically bunker down+25% move speed vs extra crit chance

Rifle, fire,bloodlust sigils

runes of rage if you took inventions and travelers if you took firearms if you want 25% move speed

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

I’ve been trying out HoT with the Elementalist and Necromancer, but am interested in something new. I always enjoy high-skill-cap classes in MMO-type games, and the engineer seems to be the closest to that in PvE and PvP. My biggest annoyance with most GW2 classes is that you camp autoattack and supplement with a few skills, which is a fairly passive way to play. Elementalist is a bit more button-driven, but the “optimal” specs are still very constrictive: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Staff_DPS#Usage

1) Do you find tool-swapping to be a satisfying mechanic? It seems overwhelming to build reflexive use of all those tools/skills!
3) Is this type of build typical for the engineer class? (http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Scrapper_-_Power_Grenadier)

i find those tool swapping builds highly impractical seriously 45-90 key rotations , that is absurd it takes us 6 keys to do what others do with 1 at times

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

at the moment i find engi to not be a very rewarding class to play in raids and fractals — other classes can match or surpass my dps, often by autoattacking.

however, in that content engi does have a niche that is hard to fill otherwise because of how versatile the class is. other classes are hard pressed to match the soft cc and blinding potential of engi in its optimal condi build. and slick shoes has amazing potential for smoothing out pug groups in both raids and open world.

but lately in fractals… well ill just say ive been working on filling out 75-100. there is a stark difference between the quality of my pug runs when im on condi or power engi versus when im on condi reaper, and i only picked up reaper 2 weeks ago while ive played engi for over 3 years. in favor of reaper.

in pvp i still enjoy scrapper the most. and in wvw too, but im on a ded server that zergs infrequently during my random play times, and engi has always been good in small groups in wvw.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

I wouldn’t call it rewarding – as others have mentioned, compared to other classes, we have to do far more to achieve the same results (mostly due to kits and their balancing, i should add).
But it is fun nevertheless, and thus is fine too.

in Engineer

Posted by: Maxodon.5243

Maxodon.5243

For pvp scrapper is pretty strong but not really hard to learn/play, I would say it’s one of the easier classes to play in pvp since it’s pretty forgiving and stacked with heals and defensive skills while still maintaining good damage.

in Engineer

Posted by: maciora.9542

maciora.9542

It got way better with scrapper. Now u can play without kits and its really fun. The only problem is some cry babies crying all the time how strong and op it is so anet will nerf survivability which will make engineer as pathetic as it was before. Hope it will not happen. But now – its the best, most fun class imho. Till the nerf day….

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

For pvp scrapper is pretty strong but not really hard to learn/play, I would say it’s one of the easier classes to play in pvp since it’s pretty forgiving and stacked with heals and defensive skills while still maintaining good damage.

wich is also its downfall its too simple anyone who actually pays attention and actually tries to learn about the profession a bit will counter scrapper just as easily

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

Engineer is a rewarding class to learn as a whole simpply because of the overall high skill ceiling required to master engineer unlike other classes cant always just rush into enemies blindly so we have to learn about them as well as our profession and as a result we end up with more overall experience

think about it everyone else that fights an engineer will either say too much damage or too much sustain and complain instead of trying to figure why they got beaten

anyone who plays engineer will say oh this guy is running marauder or that guy is running retaliation bunker cleric or that guy’s runnin Paladin

in Engineer

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

1A] No.
1B] No.

2. All classes are effective to a degree. Are engineers the best at anything particular thing? No. Can they do all things? Yes.

3. There is no “typical” engineer. There are many imitators but the ones that are the best typically use their own set-ups. Engineer is one of the classes you do have to be intimate with to succeed further than a nub. No amount of keyboard practice will beat actually knowing what you’re doing and designing your own build.