Is there any truly power build for engineer?

in Engineer

Posted by: kristof.7182

kristof.7182

Hello!

My main is engineer but I had every profession. I tried all professions because I miss my dervish and ritualist. I stayed with engi because I don’t like other professions.
Before patches I played sd + ft and it was cool. I just loaded everything I had and I click F to finish player. After patches my build sucked so I tried other builds.
And I just don’t like it. Is there any pure dps build? I don’t like conditions, so I don’t want to use EG. Grenades suck because everyone dodge it. It’s easy to fight with melee because I can throw grenades under their feet but when I get to melee range
(grenades, bombs) it’s just stun/kd -> 0 hp. And range professions just laughing.

My PvP experience:
Warrior – kd/stun -> 0hp
Necro – condi spam -> me: change condi to bonus -> necro: change his bonus to condi -> me: 0hp
Mesmer – PU Mesmer -> 0hp
Thief – stealth > attack > stealth > attack > stealth > attack > me: bombs spam > thief run&back > me after 8 minutes: “Oh, he’s gone” > thief after 8 minutes: stealth and then burst > 0hp
Guardian – so boring class I just gave up
Ranger – is there any?
Elementalist – d/d and confusion works great but they always have more skills to heal than I have
Engineer – meh, just condi spam…

Is there any pure power build when I don’t have to use EG and I won’t die because of coni and stuns?

And is it me or engineer is pretty hard class? We’ve to think more to get same results as other professions. It’s so frustrating.

(edited by kristof.7182)

in Engineer

Posted by: Wolfar.6508

Wolfar.6508

Why would you not use Elixir Gun? The stunbreaker is so good as well as the condition cleanse. Why not just go for a SD build with Rifle Turret, Tool Kit and Elixir Gun. Incredibly easy to play yet effective.

Wolfineer.com - Everything Engineer!

in Engineer

kristof.7182

Hello Wolfineer! Thank you.
Wow, such fame.

I tried sd (my first build ft + sd) but sometimes sd don’t hit or hit the ground. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. And if someone have build with reflection it can be very painful.

And I’m not runing with EG because auto-attack is with condi and I hate condi. It’s kitty as stealth thief is. But it’s just my opinion. So if I’m not going to use EG in the right way (condi) I thought it’s a waste to have this kit in my build.

Still, I’m not experienced as you are.

(edited by kristof.7182)

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

if you dont wanna use eg because of the autoattack idk what to say

not every power build must have 0 bleed damage

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

kristof.7182

Omg, seriously I have to explain this? Your ironical comment was unnecessary.
EG was created for condition build. In my opinion it’s a big waste if I take kit only for 1 skill.
Is it really strange that I’m sick of condition? It’s not a game for me when you just spam everything you have and then just kite him and wait until your enemy bleed out.

@Holl
Thank you. I’ll take a look at this build.

(edited by kristof.7182)

in Engineer

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

Look at wolfineers power rifle/ft build. Does some crazy dmg with a bit of burning bleeding.

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

EG was created for condition build. In my opinion it’s a big waste if I take kit only for 1 skill.
Is it really strange that I’m sick of contition? It’s not a game when you just spam everything you have and then just kite him and wait until your enemy bleed out.

@Holl

like hell it is

its a utility weapon, neither power nor condi. you dont take it for its damage. you take it for the leap, the condi cleanses, the stunbreak, and the cc condis. not the autoattack, not its direct burst, not its sustained damage.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

Is it really strange that I’m sick of contition? It’s not a game when you just spam everything you have and then just kite him and wait until your enemy bleed out.

@Holl

Np man, and take a look at the FT help topic. Lots of flamethrower tips and tricks to increase your dmg. Ft #1 can do 2-4k in a single round, #2 4k+ and all that while your target is on fire! Combine with 5k leap shot from rifle and your eny is KO

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

in Engineer

Posted by: Wolfar.6508

Wolfar.6508

Hello Wolfineer! Thank you.
Wow, such fame.

I tried sd (my first build ft + sd) but sometimes sd don’t hit or hit the ground. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. And if someone have build with reflection it can be very painful.

And I’m not runing with EG because auto-attack is with condi and I hate condi. It’s kitty as stealth thief is. But it’s just my opinion. So if I’m not going to use EG in the right way (condi) I thought it’s a waste to have this kit in my build.

Still, I’m not experienced as you are.

SD sometimes hits the grounds if you use AoE or Active abilities (think of Regenerating Mist from the Healing Turret or the Toolbelt skill from the Flamethrower). If someone runs with a lot of reflects (I think you mean skills like Shield #4) you simply have to wait for a bit until it runs out, playing well is pretty much 80% knowing your enemy’s abilities and 20% of knowing your own profession.

The Elixir Gun isn’t necessarily a condition damage weapon. Sure the AutoAttack is mainly condition damage but the #2 skill is a more power oriented skill as well as the #4 skill. In the end the Elixir Gun is more for support than for damage as your autoattack on Rifle is a lot stronger. Another option might be Rocket Boots for you!

This is what I run myself when I play Static Discharge.
It depends on the encounter if I go for Elixir Gun or Rocket Boots. The Rocket Boots toolbelt skill does ensure a SD hit while the Elixir Gun toolbelt skill does not but Rocket Boots lowers your active defense.

EDIT: for some of examples of this build you can check either this video or this video. Hope it helps!

Wolfineer.com - Everything Engineer!

(edited by Wolfar.6508)

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

If you like to be dead all the time, run a SD build! If you like to win, run 30/0/0/20/20!
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQFAUlUUp+qlcxELseNybBNyucGRWxn85AE0hC-TJxHwADeAAa2fAwFAQZZAA
If you are dying instantly at melee range, you just need to learn how to dodge better! Try to set up burst kill combos like Magnet > Prybar > Overcharge Shot > Throw Wrench > Net Shot > Blunderbuss > Grenade Barrage
Don’t use grenade skills at extreme ranges. Use rifle auto.
Make good use of your CC! Chill, Blind, Immob, Pull, Launch! That’s the key to any rifle build!

Here is a clip of the build in action! http://www.twitch.tv/livskis/c/4108133

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Sincerely,
Vee Wee retired #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in Engineer

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

I’ve had quite a bit of luck in tpvp running a powernade build. Basically, you run zerker build, with: 6/0/0/4/4 using power wrench. Your utils are wrench, grenade and slick (stun breaker+knockdown!). I also tend to use sigil of air+fire. It seems like the sigils proc per grenade hit with no ICD. While you have little condition damage, the grenades still hit incredibly hard. Plus, with the 4 in tools, your wrench will now become incredibly strong in melee range, also giving a range cripple. So, if you face even like a PU mesmer you can just toss some AoE damage down and melt them really fast.

Basically, the same as what Vee Wee stated above (I didn’t even notice he commented the same traits). This is probably the strongest power build I’ve come across, especially since it has both range and melee damage!

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in Engineer

Posted by: bethekey.8314

bethekey.8314

One of the first things you have to realize on engi is that many of our skills work for both condi and power, and that a hybrid approach works very well. Elixir gun, Flamethrower, Grenade kit and Toolkit can all be run in a power, condi or hybrid build. Often times, engineers will even run traits like Incendiary Powder in a power build just because that extra burning/cover condition helps augment your damage more than any other trait or prevent your immobilize from being removed.

Know the skills that lend themselves best to the build you’re playing and make sure you land them. Being a diehard FT/EG fan myself, I used berzerker’s amulet with those two kits. FT and EG #2 skills hit hard with power and EG #4 does great AOE DoT damage if used correctly.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Just for the EG in a power build:

set up your power gear, and than look at the damage the silly bouncy thing EG #2 does… it hits not bad.
It also jumps: it can jump from them (400 damage minimum) to you, to them (another 400 but likely more), to you.

Now look at what that EG #5 jump does… per tick!
If you manage to cc anyone in that jump, they will be hurting real bad.
If all 5 ticks hit (unlikely) than we’re talking 3 to 4 k damage without counting crits. in a very moderate power build (2k power at most). In reality it’s more.
Do that in a full zerker build, and you’re talking a lot more.

Of course they don’t Always stay in that spot the entire 5 ticks. Even just one or two ticks is worth it for the damage alone. And that’s not mentioning the fact that you really use it for the jump itself.

As for the rest: EG #3 and EG#5:
The poison cloud you use for the less healing, that’s also good in a power build…
The healing light field, well: that’s totally distinct from the damage you do anyhow.

Yes: EG #1 autoattack is primarily a bleed and weakness stacker.
But that doesn’t make the EG a condition weapon only, not by a long shot!

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I use EG in a power bomb build. Where I have healing bombs with larger radius and 10% on explosions.
I have 2k power and EG is part of my damage abilities, not just for the healing field…

The last slot is either tool kit or Rocket boots since I scout a lot in WvW and rocket boots are my ticket out of trouble

It’s a bit ofa troll build though, since with EG #5, healing bombs and the fact that I sneak in Backpack regenerator in there as well… I sort of heal more than I should.

But in the end as a scout I need to survive when i turn around the corner and happen to run into half the enmy zerg I’m looking for…

When i do join the zerg, the bombs still hit for 1k minimum non crit, and they heal my zergies around me, so it’s a good mix.
Yes: EG power damage is very helpfull in big fights too: swap from bombs to EG, proccing my sigil of Hydromancy: I chill those around me and jump out with EG#4. Those ticks land… all of them

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

Just for the EG in a power build:

set up your power gear, and than look at the damage the silly bouncy thing EG #2 does… it hits not bad.
It also jumps: it can jump from them (400 damage minimum) to you, to them (another 400 but likely more), to you.

My only issue I’ve ever had with the EG is that the #2 skill is really easy to avoid and seems a bit buggy. Since its a slow moving projectile, if you’re fighting a mesmer or thief you may not ever actually hit with it. Because of this, I’ve preferred using wrench. The magnet pull is incredibly powerful, especially with combined with the rifle knockback to help get a point to neutral really fast. When traited, the throw wrench and its auto attack cause cripple, plus you have the nails, confusion and of course the gear shield. The EG gives you a heal and condi clease, but if the person is dead fast anyways…plus the heal requires you to stay in the field, which can be problematic since it is a small field and you’re wearing glass (I’m thinking of necro wells, grenades, or warrior bow). You already have poisons essentially from the grenade kit also, so you might as well get as much different utilities as possible.

On a different note: I really like having slick. Even now, a lot of players don’t use their stability until they go to stomp on a point, or if they’re at low health. So, as an engi, what you can do is pop your slick, and then while its in duration run in a circle around some player. You can still do your damage burst, but they’re kept knocked down. If you combine the grenade toolkit, blunderbuss + jump + ____ grenade (I like to use chill at the end), you can get off A LOT of damage. If you finish with the chill, then even when they can get up, they’re chilled.

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

(edited by Handin.4032)

in Engineer

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

For any build, no matter what it is, I advise you to play one you like & enjoy & know what you want to do with it. Also, get better at it. That’s it. You can have the best ‘meta’ build in the game, but it’s worthless if you can’t pull it off.

Now, in your case…power. Try a flamethrower build, it’s what I play. Use a rifle, of course.

20-20-0-20-10
Sigil of Battle & Sigil of Strength
Berserker Amulet
Rune of Strength

Make sure you take Deadly Mixture & Juggernaut for extra damage.

in Engineer

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

When I go full power engi I used to run this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQFAUlcTpEr9dxzLseNSbBNqvA6NkhR85GGgVD-TJRBwAfuAAD3fgcZAAPAAA

1v1 you can CC and chain burst any target from 100%-0% in a couple seconds, stability and stunbreakers are your enemy because they could make you miss your burst.

Also you must have crazy skills because you’re basically using all of your skills… Besides the burst you only have a little bit of sustained damage through rifle auto-attack.

Burst-sequence:
1-4-2-9-f4-8(to target)-f3-f2-5-3-(auto attack while retreating)

the usual damage then would be:
1.5k dmg per auto attack.
2k dmg with no. 4
2-9-f4-8 don’t do damage but are there to set up your burst.
3k dmg from f3
8k dmg with f2
5-10k dmg with 5
3-5k dmg with 3
more auto attacks tanky people ussualy go down by the 2nd or third auto attack.

all added up:
between the 20-30k dmg

(edited by Swimsasa Stoon.8936)