Just give us weapon swap

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Lantz.7240

Lantz.7240

This to me is my biggest problem with engineer. Well one of them. Every other glass gets to pick out 10 different weapon skills and then pick utility skills to complement them. The only other class that doesn’t get weapon swap are elementalist who get 20 skills with one weapon set. To equal that we would have to take up almost every utility slot with kits which usually means a lack of CC or stun-breakers. I suggest we get a weapon swap but only able to equip kits. Except med kit. The weapon swap kit special ability would become F5 and this would allow all engineers to use kits which are suppose to be a big defining feature for us and not force us to lose a utility we really need.

This could be a completely stupid idea but its one that I keep coming back to and i’m interested to see what others think about us not having weapon swap. Maybe i’m way off but as much as I love my engineer I always feel incomplete and missing something no matter what build I use.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Ragnarok.4586

Ragnarok.4586

We have kits, thats our weapon swap, if engis could switch between rifle and s/p or p/p we would be extremely overpowered.

Mekanos – Engineer | Alradian – Warrior
[FcTR] on Maguuma

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I think ragnarok just read the title but anyways I have wanted that idea implemented for a long time, that would definitely make us versatile. And if you wanted more than one kit you could then have the option to sacrifice a utility slot.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: XIII.9615

XIII.9615

The Engineer doesn’t have to be as good as the Elementalist at the class mechanic of the Elementalist. That’s what defines the different classes, they got different strengths and weaknesses.
To have as much utility as most of the other classes, an Engineer would have to use just one kit besides the med kit. Remember that weapon swap got a cooldown and kit swap doesn’t.
In addition to that Engineers got the four toolbelt skills. They may not be as strong as a utility skill, but you could look at it that way: Dedicating one utility slot to stun breakers is a necessity for every class. The Engineer gets a second weaker utility skill for his stun breaker.

For me no cooldown on weapon swap in addition to the toolbelt is actually the strength of the class. I gladly give a utility slot for that.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

I would hate it! To be honest I really love the way the Engineer works atm. The thing with kit’s is I can swap around them as needed, because there is no CD, which is huge to me!
Most fights I never need a Stunbreaker, because I can simply swap to my Toolkit and block the Stun incomeing ect. I can allways have the tool I need for the situation ready, and I like to run with more then one kit aswell most the time time, I like 2-3
Which, for what you want to balance it, would requir we got CD on it, and could only use that one kit ew had equipped! I think the Engineer, atleast in WvW which I play (and my experince in PvE) Is just fine!

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

For me no cooldown on weapon swap in addition to the toolbelt is actually the strength of the class. I gladly give a utility slot for that.

My thoughts exactly. After playing an engineer for so long, when I play any other class the cooldowns on weapon swaps always throw me off and take me some time to readjust to lol.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

I would like it if we could place a kit in the weapon swap on the hero panel. If it meant we’d lose out on the tool belt skill it would be worth it. However I think weapons should be swappable, but will incur a cool down timer.

This would make the engineer on par with the other professions.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: XIII.9615

XIII.9615

Yeah, but kit swapping as it is, is actually superior to the weapon swapping of the other classes, as it is one of the specific strengths of the class. Why would I want to be on par with the other classes in this regard?

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Goloith.6349

Yeah, but kit swapping as it is, is actually superior to the weapon swapping of the other classes, as it is one of the specific strengths of the class. Why would I want to be on par with the other classes in this regard?

Currently I find Engineers to be subpar in this respect. Engineers lose an entire utility slot just for weapon swap and if you are playing any other profession correctly the weapon swap cooldown doesn’t mean a thing. If you run all kits in your utility slots sure things are great, but for those of us who run 1 kit we’re actually being hurt. I would gladly get rid of throw wrench just to have access to the wrench kit and still have 3 utility slots available.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: aKIRA.7123

aKIRA.7123

i would only agree with this if the hypothetical kit weapon swap had 0 cooldown. since that is unlikely to be the case, i still prefer the current system.

i should point out tho, that im not totally against this idea but it would also severely mess up engi players who want to use multiple kits (minus med kit, of course).

Azuna Hatsue | Sonya Hayashi
Jaunty Chaps [LAD]

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Jarin Arenos.2736

Jarin Arenos.2736

Well, it would fix my problem of reflexively trying to swap to flamethrower with tilde, since engineer isn’t my only character…

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

No. Stop screwing with other people who know how to play with engineer and play your other professions.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Lantz.7240

I wouldn’t mind a cd for our weapon swap kit as long as there wasn’t one for kits in the utility slots. And as someone else said I wouldn’t even mind giving up its tool belt skill. I really miss kits though playing elixir builds.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Lantz.7240

Also I never said we only have one Kit. I said we should have weapon swap so we can have a base of ten skills let every other class then if we want we can give up utility skills for the extra versatility.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Engi mechanics are a lot of fun. I disagree with this suggestion, in the same way I disagree with the same suggestion on the ele forums.

The classes need something differentiating them.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

what if kits WERE the weapons? you can pick two kits, or a kit/rifle or kit/pp(s), or rifle/pp(s).

that is, what if we equipped kits as though they were weapons, instead of adding more buttons to push?

keep in mind, our toolbelt is specifically intended to compensate for the kit’s utility slot (regardless of bugs or needed buffs, which are certainly a current problem), so any change to the kit mechanic changes our toolbelt efficiency as well

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

(edited by nakoda.4213)

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

The kits are weapons – even sigils recognize this.

Apart from Med Kit which isn’t a weapon set. But that makes sense as it’s switching from attacker to medic. (Except for its Kit Refinement, which is a blast! – wtf.)

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

The kits are weapons – even sigils recognize this.

Apart from Med Kit which isn’t a weapon set. But that makes sense as it’s switching from attacker to medic. (Except for its Kit Refinement, which is a blast! – wtf.)

i think you missed my point, and the overall point of the thread.

and, technically, not all kits are weapon kits. there are device kits as well (guess what, grenades are a device kit, not a weapon kit).

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

No profession gets access to F5, so I think that is out of the question.

First off, we can swap from Flamethrower→Tool Kit→Flamethrower in 3 seconds. No other profession can do that. Secondly, when compared to the Elementalist, we have a major design advantage. When they choose a dagger, they have almost zero long range option. However, we can slot a Tool Kit, Flamethrower, and Grenade Kit for close range, mid range, and long range all in the same loadout.

In all honesty, we need some new main weapon options. I’m always in favor of: Torch, Mace/Mace OH, and Hammer. Our Tool Belt skills also need a few Stun Breakers, with the obvious choices being Elixir Gun and Slick Shoes.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Goloith.6349

You are delusional to think that the Engineer is at an advantage to that of an Elementalist. That dagger Ele kitten face so this idea that it is at a disadvantage is untrue. I know many people have trust issues with ANET touching professions because they fear it will lead to a disaster like Kit Refinement. What the O kitten uggesting is a buff to the Engineer and tbh unless we get some buffs we’re going to continuously get crapped on by the community and dwindle further.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Aristio.2784

You are delusional to think that the Engineer is at an advantage to that of an Elementalist. That dagger Ele kitten face so this idea that it is at a disadvantage is untrue. I know many people have trust issues with ANET touching professions because they fear it will lead to a disaster like Kit Refinement. What the O kitten uggesting is a buff to the Engineer and tbh unless we get some buffs we’re going to continuously get crapped on by the community and dwindle further.

I never said that we have an advantage in strength or usefulness over the Elementalist. I said we have a design advantage. The plain simple fact is that Elementalist has little range with the daggers, while we can choose all three ranges at once.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

I don’t even understand why people want this. Rifles scale with Power and Pistols scale with Condition Damage. They’re used in very different builds in completely opposite ways. Rifles work with Static Discharge and the FT whereas Pistols work with Bomb Kit and Grenade Kit.

Even if you could weapon swap it would be pointless to; you’d never use both of them. And the OP’s idea of making bundles count as weapons just doesn’t make any sense. They work just fine right now. Why fix what isn’t broken, given what all else needs to be altered with this class?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Our Tool Belt skills also need a few Stun Breakers, with the obvious choices being Elixir Gun and Slick Shoes.

Haha, what? We don’t need any more stun breakers.

Elixir R and Elixir S are already some of the best ones in the game, which respectively also offer an area revive and 3-second immunity … all in two utility slots. With zero traits.

I’d rather keep Healing Mist with the Elixir Gun, thanks.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: paleeshi.1924

paleeshi.1924

I really don’t see the problem. And I really dislike OP’s idea.
It’s enough that you have 1 kit and you’ll have access to 10 skills like any other class beside Elementalist which is an exception, not a rule! Minus the CD the every other class get on weapon swap.

I usually run with med kit, grenade kit, elixir gun, elixir R. Sometimes I swap exlir gun for something else, like elixir S. So there you have 15 skills, stun break, condition removals. You have CC from genades, elixir gun and main weapon (rifle in my case). So yeah, I don’t see what the problem is and I don’t feel that I’m lacking anything of what OP described.

IMO Engineers have a much bigger freedom to customize their skills than Eles. It’s not just the kits and utilities, but Tool bar skill is just as important. I would really hate to take away that from Engineer and what’s making them unique.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Aristio.2784

Our Tool Belt skills also need a few Stun Breakers, with the obvious choices being Elixir Gun and Slick Shoes.

Elixir R and Elixir S are already some of the best ones in the game, which respectively also offer an area revive and 3-second immunity … all in two utility slots. With zero traits.

The Elixir Gun should have a Stun Breaker so we can actually have a Stun Breaker for full Kit builds.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

The Elixir Gun should have a Stun Breaker so we can actually have a Stun Breaker for full Kit builds.

All classes deal with their stun breakers being utility slots. You choose to go without them. Why should Engineers be special?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: paleeshi.1924

paleeshi.1924

All classes deal with their stun breakers being utility slots. You choose to go without them. Why should Engineers be special?

I agree. You just can’t always have the cake and eat it.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Aristio.2784

Thief Sword #2.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Thief Sword #2.

I don’t know what you mean by this.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

@Phineas Poe
Theif Sword skill 2 is a stun breaker, and so is mesmer staff skill 2!

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Aristio.2784

@Phineas Poe

Mesmer Staff #2 is not a Stun Breaker. But it can be used -while- stunned to move, but it will not break the effect of Stun.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

@Phineas Poe

Mesmer Staff #2 is not a Stun Breaker. But it can be used -while- stunned to move, but it will not break the effect of Stun.

For the sake of saving your life, it’s a major stun breaker. Knocked down for 2 seconds by an engineer? Incoming freeze grenades? BWOOP, nope, deal w/ it. 8/10 second cooldown.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Ketharius.9018

Ketharius.9018

I disagree and feel that the no CD on weapon swap to a Kit is much more preferred to have two weapons sets.

Tarnished Coast
[FUNK] Squad

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: Travail.7390

Travail.7390

This wouldn’t take anything away from the Engineer class. People need to actually read the OP’s post before responding.

The OP suggests ADDING (note: there is no subtraction in addition) the ability to place a kit in our second weapon slot. This would give us an ADDITIONAL slot for a kit, without taking away our ability to equip kits in our utility slots, as we do now.

I’m all for it, personally. Engineers are at a disadvantage in PvP while taking kits, since kits limit our ability to take stun breakers (not the only problem with multi-kit loadouts, but it’s probably the most glaring and easy to fix.) If we could choose to take a single kit in our offhand slot, losing the toolbelt skill for that kit and giving that kit a weapon swap cooldown, but keeping a utility slot open, many Engineers would make that trade.

-Travail.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Goloith.6349

I understand that there are some great Engineers out there that know what they’re doing and that’s great, but if you took your amount of skill as a player and applied it to some of the other classes you would see this huge flaw with the Engineer. This would be one of the easiest fixes that ANET could do to stop the bleeding of Engineers to other professions. Saying “Oh the classes is fine without this” while your profession is dwindling down into extinction is kinda stupid.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: RaynStargaze.6510

RaynStargaze.6510

as long as i can still swap between kits instantly and carry more than 1 kit + weapons all is well

Kinda worried about march patch notes:

We added weapon swap to engineer – to balance this engineer can no longer equip kits in utility slots.

^let`s face it if they are going to give engineer weapon swap this is what its gonna look like at best

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

well, there is the chance they could be clever enough to only “weaponize” the weapon kits, and leave device kits as utilities.

maybe make weapon kits = backpacks so you get one weapon kit, and can equip multiple utility device kits, and retain 2 weapon loadouts.
. . .

(edited by nakoda.4213)

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Posted by: AryasRevenge.3175

AryasRevenge.3175

i suggested this not long ago, eles are stuck with their attunments (thats what Anet call wep swap for them) but we can chose not to equip any kit so we should be able to aquip another wep as long as our hotbar is kit free.

Just give us weapon swap

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

@Phineas Poe

So they are. I stand corrected.

But that’s still only two weapon skills out of the dozens in the game that only two classes of the eight can take advantage of—given Thieves are using a Sword or a Mesmer with his/her Staff.

The overwhelming majority of stunbreakers in this game are utility skills, and very few of them additionally give you full Endurance back, cure conditions, and revive downed allies like Elixir R does.

You want to sit here and complain about what other classes have that the Engineer doesn’t—fine. But you must similarly acknowledge that our skills don’t work 1:1 with others and that an Elixir-spec Engineer has quite a few bail-outs available. By loading your bar with kits you acknowledge giving that up just the same as a Mesmer would wielding a Greatsword over a Staff.

Slotting kits outside of the utility bar just starts giving legitimacy to start nerfing them; i.e., cooldown on kit swapping. I do not want that to happen.

Kinda worried about march patch notes:

We added weapon swap to engineer – to balance this engineer can no longer equip kits in utility slots.

^let`s face it if they are going to give engineer weapon swap this is what its gonna look like at best

Where did you find this?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians