Keybindings: What is your layout?

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

With as many button presses as our class requires, I am pretty fustrated with the default layout. So, I was curious, are most of you using the default one, or what is your custom layout?

I generally used the 10-key in other MMOs, but given the more mobile and active nature of GW2, I don’t think I can give up the mouse.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Weapon Skills: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Healing Skill: Q
Utility Skills: E, R, T
Elite Skill: X

I’m not into the whole Shift + 1 thing.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

digitalruse.9085

So you give up the strafing keys then? Interesting.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Kawloon Fuathach.3807

Kawloon Fuathach.3807

Weapon Skills: Q, E, R, F, C
Healing Skill: 1
Utility Skills: 2, 3, 4
Elite Skill: `
Weapon Swap: Tab
Toolbelt Skills: Default
Dodge: Left Alt

Wilhelm The Pursuer

(edited by Kawloon Fuathach.3807)

in Engineer

digitalruse.9085

Kawloon: Do you use 100% mouse for moving?

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

I use the same setup as Phin with dodge bound to my middle mouse button, ain’t nobody got time for double tap! You can simply strafe with mouse 2 and camera rotation. I use mouse 4 for about face to quickly change directions, I don’t really have a gaming mouse but it does have 2 additional buttons over top of a standard three button mouse so it helps having movment controls mapped to it so I never have to move my left hand out of a very small area. W A S D are still your direction keys but when mouse 2 is depressed it turns A and D into strafe. Not sure I am explaining this well enough but yeah it works quite well.

(edited by ShadowPuppet.3746)

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I hate to say it, but… Razer Naga. Offloading all the skill functionality to the mouse means I can always keep the left hand on WASD.

As for the specific key bindings, #1-10 on the keyboard are #1-10 on the mouse, 11 is weapon swap, and 12 is dodge. The mouse wheel is also used for targetting, with target nearest bound to the click, and the tab targetting trigged by shift+mouse wheel click. I tried using the other middle mouse buttons for things but they weren’t in a position that was ideal for responsiveness, so I reserve them for unimportant things. I use the tool belt skills by holding shift and then 1-4 on the mouse. It is not a hassle to use shift because my left hand is always on WAS. The only time my hand comes off of WASD during action is to interact with F or auto-run with R.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kawloon Fuathach.3807

Kawloon Fuathach.3807

Nope I move around using WASD, which is what I tried to center all the keybinds around. It took some getting used to, but it’s what works perfectly for me. Though I do have to mix in clicking sometimes for Toolbelt skills if other fingers are occupied.

Wilhelm The Pursuer

in Engineer

Posted by: El Hazard.5087

El Hazard.5087

So you give up the strafing keys then? Interesting.

Most people already have A and D keys set to strafe, instead of turn left/right. If you haven’t done this, give it a try. Makes movement so much better imo.

I also use Phins layout, works well for me. Dodge is on my mouse.

in Engineer

Posted by: Saki Asakura.6479

Saki Asakura.6479

Mine’s kinda wierd
ESDF for running and strafing
Space and 2-5 for weapon skills
Alt for jump
3 mouse buttons for Utility skills
6 for Elite
RTYC for Toolbelt
W for heal
Q for weapon swap
A for auto target
G for interact

Level 80 Engineer: Kamonia

Borlis Pass

in Engineer

Posted by: Cronkolo.3469

Cronkolo.3469

WA: running
AD: strafe
1-2-3-4-5: Skill 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Q: Skill 7
E: Skill 8
R: Skill 9
Mouse 4 (on the side of mouse): Skill 6
Mouse 5 (on the side of mouse): Skill 10
Mouse 3: Dodge
F: Interact
C: Nearest enemy
Space: Jump
F1-F2-F3-F4: Toolbelt
\: Weapon swap

Alternative version: F for skill 5, G for interact

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

Razer Nostromo
Logitech G600 MMO Mouse

Nostromo gives you a D-Pad for your thumb, like platform controllers. Tons of buttons and great response. G600 is a new addition for me, had trouble till I got the DPI settings to where I was used to, now its just great. Over 40 programable buttons lets you setup however you want.

1-5 n 6-0 are on the Nostromo. F1-F4 are rekey’d to Shift+1 – Shift+4, Shift is on the mouse. Map, Tab Target, Mark Target, F or [Use] and Weapon Switch on the Nostromo. Mouse has Dodge, Jump, Shift, Exit, Target Target, and a bunch of other screens.

Movement is through the D-Pad and Mouse. Game like our 8bit forefathers intended!

Best investments I’ve made in terms of gaming experience aside from maybe my chair

Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

(edited by Bloodgruve.6038)

in Engineer

Posted by: Curring.9752

Curring.9752

Hmm, mine is probably the weirdest any one will encounter.

Movement:
Forward – T
Backwards – G
Strafes – F & H
Dodge – B
Interact – K
Wep Swap – \
Target – Left Alt
Skills – (1-5) Z, X, D, S, A.
Heal – Mouse 4
Utility – (1-4) Mouse 5, R, E.
Elite – W
Profession Skills – Y, U, J, N, respectively.

:|

In the greater blob of things, there is only the zerg.
Kittens, Kittens everywhere!

in Engineer

Posted by: Psnacky.7936

Psnacky.7936

I tried something different, for me, with my keybinds when I started GW2 and it’s worked well enough for me that I’ve applied the same setup to every other MMO I play (well, with modifier macros added to help manage actionbar bloat).

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 = weapon skills
Q = heal
E = elite
Z, X, C = utilities
alt+1, 2, 3, 4 = tool belt skills
Mouse button 4 = dodge
And I’ve rebound A & D to strafe

All else I just use the defaults.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ravak.8912

Ravak.8912

Basically, everything shifted right, F keys moved to bottom, plus some small changes.

Moving: ESDF
Weapon Skills: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Healing Skill: A
Utility Skills: W, R, T
Elite Skill: G
Weapon Swap: Q
F1-F4: ZXCV
Action Key (old F): 1
Autoloot: Shift
Take target: TAB
Call target: ~ or `

I’m on US keyboard.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I read Taugrim’s keybinding guide and made my own utilizing the principles he outlines: http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/ Basically the idea is to be able to move and activate skills at the same time. I use my thumb a lot more. Lay healing turret by double-tapping with thumb then quickly detonate with the pinky all while moving forward with the middle finger.

Green is movement: fwd, back, strafing (Taugrim doesn’t backpedal but uses that for dodge. I never got used to using a dodge key.)
Purple are class mechanic skills (F2-F4 are arranged right to left!)
Yellow is utility slot skills (also ordered right to left, you can see it on my videos!)
Red are weapon skills.
Orange is elite.
Bright blue is healing.
Tab is swap weapons and the other dull blue keys are related to targeting and interaction.

All camera related movement is done on the mouse. About face is bound to a mouse button.

Tested on engineer, mesmer, necro, guardian, and warrior.

Attachments:

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in Engineer

Posted by: Remillard.8691

Remillard.8691

Movement: WERSDF I hate WASD. Plus this lets me do the following
Weapon Skills 1-5
Heal: Q
Utility: TGV
Interact: A
Elite: Z
AOE Loot: X
Dodge: C (and I have double tap on too. Good keyboard and good typing makes both equally efficient, just situational)
Bags: B

So, if you put your hand there on ASDF, you’ll see that I can hit everything while keeping my hand centered, minimal finger motion to all skills. My only complaint is that on the keyboard (Razer green mechanical) the F1 – F4 keys are offset from the 1 key more than I’d like.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

he has WASD open.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

WASD movement
Weapon : 1-2-3-4-5
Healing: 6
Utility: Z-X-C-V
Toolbar: F1-F2-F3-F4
Dodge: Shift
Target: Tab
Interact: F
Weapon Swap: Ctrl

in Engineer

Posted by: Boererik.3459

Boererik.3459

movement: WASD
weaponsk: middlemouse (for the nades) Q E R F
Utility: mouse5, Alt, Shift, Ctrl, C
Toolbar: 1 2 3 4
Weaponswap: Tab
Interact: mouse4

in Engineer

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Keyboard as-is. I have an Avant Stellar (basically a remake of the Northgate Omnikey – VERY old – and loud – mechanical). Though the F1 row starts over the 2 key, that works out OK for the classes I use regularly (Guardian, Necromancer, Engi). Also, I have the keyboard in ‘Unix’ layout – Ctl key is next to the A (changed in the keyboard’s firmware, so its permanent). I’m waiting for WASD Keyboards to release their V2 before I finally replace this with something quieter.

Most of my modifications came with the Logitech G700 mouse, and bindings added there:

7-9 are on G10/G9/G8 (the group on the upper left).
Dodge is ‘Scroll Right’ (tap the scroll wheel to the right), which I found very intuitive.
Weapon Swap is Middle Button (Wheel Button).
6 is G5, 0 is G7 (the two forward thumb buttons).

The rear thumb buttons are reserved for voice comms on two programs.
G4 – PTT (primary)
G6 – PTT (secondary – unbound atm)

Why two? After three years in Eve Online, old habits break hard, and access to a second voice comm server is always a handy thing (if at server/alliance level).

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

in Engineer

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

I’ve got the Cataclysm WoW gaming mouse, which just perfectly corresponds to my abilities. 5 buttons on thumbside are for weapon/kit skills, buttons on the side and underneath middleclick correspond to utilities, ring finger button is for heal, and 2 buttons in the outside corners correspond to elite and f1. I have middleclick bound to autorun, r bound to look (but not turn) behind me, and otherwise mostly leave my keybindings as is. The f keys on my keyboard are close enough that I can hit them easily, and my thumb rests right between spacebar and v.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

in Engineer

Posted by: Anelyn.4593

Anelyn.4593

Dodge on side mouse button 5 (can still dodge in any direction by straffing with A/D), auto run on mouse button 4.

Default settings for weapon skills / belt skills / utilities and elite. Might consider setting bomb kit and toolkit on mwheelup / mwheeldown on mouse and rocket boots (or 3rd kit depending what I play) on mwheel pressed down.

in Engineer

Posted by: Loso.6803

Loso.6803

1234567890 and shift 1-4 for upper icons, why? cuz razer naga rules!!!

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

1-5 are weapon skills.
Shift+1 is heal.
Shift+2-4 are utilities.
Shift+5 is elite.
Ctrl+1-4 are profession skills (toolbelt).
Middle Mouse button is dodge.

I also have a Razer Naga, some of those are bound to redundant thinks like a heal, elite, or auto attack. I bound the auto attack for when I use grenades I can “auto attack” using my mouse instead of mashing 1. The reason they are redundant is because sometimes in pvp I’m using my left hand purely to move and don’t have time to stop to use a heal, so I’ll just use it on my mouse for that split second. Weird I know lol.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

(edited by Adamantium.3682)

in Engineer

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Weapon 1-4 5 is Mouse button bound
Heal 6 Mouse button bound
Utility 7-0 Mouse button bound
Beltskills Q E R T

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Engineer

Posted by: RaynStargaze.6510

RaynStargaze.6510

walking on TFGH

like a baws!

in Engineer

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

Movement: WASD (A,D = strafe)
Weapon Skills: 1-5
Healing Skill: Q
Utility Skills: E,R,F
Elite Skill: Z
Weapon Swap: X
Toolbelt Skills: Shift + (Q,E,R,F)
Dodge: Middle mouse buttonw
Target: Tab
Interact: T

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in Engineer

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

MOVEMENT= Default
1-5 WEAPON= Default
TOOL BELT= Mouse 1-5 (naga)
UTILITIES= Mouse 6-10 (naga)

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

1 2 3 4 5 = 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 0 = Shift + 1 2 3 4 5
F1 F2 F3 F4 = ctrl + 1 2 3 4

in Engineer

Posted by: Curring.9752

Curring.9752

walking on TFGH

like a baws!

Wait…..
Someone else uses TFGH? Dx

In the greater blob of things, there is only the zerg.
Kittens, Kittens everywhere!

in Engineer

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

I have a Logitech G600 and a Razer Nostromo

Weapon skills 12345
Heal Q
Utilities SHIFT + B, 6, 8,
Elite 9

Toolbelt, M4, M3, M5, =

Move 03, 07, 08, 09, E (Effectively WASDE)

Tab is for Combat Mode

Next Target is C, Call target is SHIFT + =

Jump is Left Alt

Loot is F, AoE loot is SHIFT + F

(Note: 1-0 are the first 10 buttons on the side of my mouse, – = are the last two on the side, M3/M4/M5 are pressing down, left, and right on the scroll wheel of the mouse, and SHIFT + B is the button behind the scroll wheel)

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

(edited by K U T M.4539)

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Weapon skills 12345
Heal Q
Elite 9

Toolbelt, M4, M3, M5, =

Tab is for Combat Mode

Jump is Left Alt

(Note: 1-0 are the first 10 buttons on the side of my mouse, – = are the last two on the side, M3/M4/M5 are pressing down, left, and right on the scroll wheel of the mouse, and SHIFT + B is the button behind the scroll wheel)

What the holy crap? It’s like you went out of your way to spread your hotkeys all over the place so it would look like you are playing the piano while playing GW2 =D Most people try to cram all their hotkeys into 1 section of the keyboard so they don’t have to move their hand around… you specifically set yours up all over the place so you DO. =D

This setup made me chuckle.

in Engineer

Posted by: FirstInfantry.2795

FirstInfantry.2795

damm i took the time to get use to the default settings i didnt know bout the bindings been over 3months playing…

in Engineer

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

I Click , when i neeed to heal i click also. Camera Control? Keyboard.

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

in Engineer

digitalruse.9085

damm i took the time to get use to the default settings i didnt know bout the bindings been over 3months playing…

As someone changing them around, it is like trying to learn to walk again. Muscle memory is a stubborn thing.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

Weapon skills 12345
Heal Q
Elite 9

Toolbelt, M4, M3, M5, =

Tab is for Combat Mode

Jump is Left Alt

What the holy crap? It’s like you went out of your way to spread your hotkeys all over the place so it would look like you are playing the piano while playing GW2 =D Most people try to cram all their hotkeys into 1 section of the keyboard so they don’t have to move their hand around… you specifically set yours up all over the place so you DO. =D

This setup made me chuckle.

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-nostromo?src=pgm.80082300&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=razernostromo&utm_campaign=adwordsusbrandkeyboardsnostromo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104674&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Mice-_-N82E16826104674&gclid=COXG_7b18bgCFRFp7AodpxsAfQ

I play on these, and barely touch the keyboard. However, when I was playing SCII, I didn’t have either of those, and it WAS like I was playing the piano or typing out an essay whenever I played haha

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Engineer

Posted by: McClueless.1974

McClueless.1974

I use a Razer Naga myself.

Movement – WASD
Strafing – Q and E
Auto Run – C
Dodge – V (lets me jump dodge to reach places easier with just a thumb press)
Weapon Skills – 1 through 5
Weapon Swap – ~
Tab Targeting
Using the numpad mode of the mouse:
Utility Skills – 1, 2, 4 and 5 for 7, 8, 6 and 9 (Grid-like for quick access and heal is at a comfortable spot)
Elite Skill – 8 (knuckle of my thumb makes it convenient)
Tool Belt Skill are 3, 6, 9, and 12, and they sit in a row on the Naga. Makes it viable to use this setup on other professions.

Been using this since I got the mouse. I have an alternate keyboard layout to have 2 ways of reaching any skill, so it gives me a huge upper hand in PvP

in Engineer

Posted by: Sabull.5670

Sabull.5670

The best keybind change I have ever done was going from WASD to WERD.
That is that core flipped upside down and moved one key to the right.
I did this back in Rift beta where I noticed, aight I’m gonna need closing to 30 keybinds here as healer. This gave me a few very important keybinds on the left side of the core that you don’t have with wasd. As a guitarist my pinky works just like any other finger so I can use those extra keys for pinky.

Took me a week to get used to and mistakes for couple of months. If I place my fingers on any keyboard they go to < w e r [space].

I also do only quick movements with keys and constantly swap (every second) between autorun (keybinded to mouse) and WERD movement. I could never imagine holding a movement key down all the time, rofl. Restricts hand movement so much. Utilizing autorun like that keeps my hand floating and free for better ability use, similar to how you would play in SC2. You don’t have one finger stuck holding down one button all the time.

Ofc it’s all about what you used to but I’m so glad I made the daring jump to change keybinds like that. I ofc have to play with WERD in every game.

[TA]

(edited by Sabull.5670)

in Engineer

Posted by: Viparix.8476

Viparix.8476

Weapon skills 1 – 5, with 1 also bind to a side button on my mouse (on which my thumb rests), which is called Mouse 4
Heal – Q
Utility – E, R, C
Elite – Shift-Q
Toolbelt – Shift-F, Shift-E, Shift-R, Shift-C (or Shift-Mouse 4 when running Static Discharge for Surprise Shot)
Dodge – Mouse 5 (next to Mouse 4)

And I use Mouse 3 for swapping weapons, which isn’t really used by the Engineer.

Get rid of those kitten Hobosacks!

in Engineer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I use the default, however I also have my Elite bound to my Mouse Button #4, but don’t use that one too often…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Weapon skills: 1 – 5
Heal and Utility skills: Alt + 1 – 4 (Mostly because of kits really, good enough synergy)
Elite: G.
Toolbelt skills and the rest are unchanged.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.