Kits go against ANET's vision of progression

in Engineer

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

Anet made GW2 with the intention of having the main armor/weapon progression at max level be a progression in cosmetics. The kits undermine this idea since you have to put away your flaming pistols or whatever for a hobo-sack. Legendary weapons are the “end game” content in terms of progression and require months of work, and engineers are not able to show off/look at their cool weapons as much as all other classes.

Solution: 1. Maybe create a new item called kit skins. Can be sold in gem store, trading post, or through holiday events.

2. Another idea would be to make the kits progessively look more awesome depending on the rarity of the weapon that is equipped.

In conclusion, the idea of putting away your awesome flaming pistols for a hobo sack really hurts the idea of progression in cosmetics, a system that defines end game progression in gear.

in Engineer

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

I actually like solution 2.

Not really a gamebreaking issue but certainly improving engineer’s incentive to go for legendary weapons is a good thing.

in Engineer

Posted by: Talsi.1469

Talsi.1469

I agree. The kits (as well as turrets in my opinion) look rather dull on higher levels (cooler looking armors). Now, the design of the kits is great – planks, bags, barrels, bottles, cylinders and such mixed together in historical fashion – but considering fantasy setting of GW2 with races like Asura (sci-fi technology like theme) or Char (heavy metal machinery themed) – not mentioning pact weapon which look very sci-fi/technic – having the same old wood/leather/glass kits and turret all the way to your exotic/legendary items seems “not progressing” indeed.

Also, if I may add, having Asura engineer run around with plain “old” plank/black powder thing on its back seem rather strange. The same goes for Sylvari.

The options suggested by Turbo Whale seems very interesting, thou I would not like to see “buy kit skins in store for gems” as it would make Engineer the only class which would have to buy “better” looks for gems – all other skin items in store are not profession specific, so I do not count them as “have to”. Cool thing would be to have individual kit and turrets for each race – with option to acquire these race skins even if you are not from that race – plus one general “end-game” pact like skin.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

in Engineer

Posted by: jukkou.5102

jukkou.5102

When I read your post, OP, the initial thought in my head was that fixing the mechanics of the kit should be made a higher priority than the aesthetic. But honestly, appearance in MMO’s has always been my personal highest priority.

I wholeheartedly feel that if this doesn’t seem like a high priority for a-net, let the players design the kits via contest submissions. I’m sure we have players capable of rendering concept art and who are more than willing to lend a hand in beautifying our profession. The rules can be loosely based around the following idea:

Submissions must include:
- Associated exotic weapon theme (Invader’s, Inquest, etc)
- Concept design for each kit

The exotic weapon in the MH dictates the theme of the kits.

This would of course be a huge project but something along the lines of player submissions for the designs could help jump start the change.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

Legendary weapons are the “end game” content in terms of progression and require months of work, and engineers are not able to show off/look at their cool weapons as much as all other classes.

Not that I really disagree or anything, but legendarily are hardly the endgame as a whole as you state it. they are perhaps a small portion of the end game at best.

I vote #1

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mura.8673

Mura.8673

Having access to cooler kit skins would be pretty awesome. I’m not really thinking legendary level, but possibly cooler flamethrowers or bomb kit backpacks etc being in the world, whether as mob drops or as the stuff you can get out of the mystic forge.

in Engineer

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

I agree 100% it would be nice if there was some form of visual progression.

On that note though I wish kits/turrets were themed different for Asura as a race all together given their back-story, superior technology, and sense of superiority over all races I just can’t see an Asura engineer “depending” on char & human technology. It feels so out of place and kills the immersion.

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

I do miss the lack of customization on my engineer. Rangers can run different pets, illusion match the armor of their mesmer, but every turret, and kit is exactly the same. We lose out on a big part of the customization meta game, because unlike other profession we are restricted in the skins we can use.

in Engineer

Posted by: spacemayu.4817

spacemayu.4817

What I don’t like is that kits are actually equipped, and thus reduce your stats.

Yes. I think they should get better depending on the rarity of the weapon you are actually wearing. Both looks wise and stats wise.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zidijan.4826

Zidijan.4826

I’m still not totally sure as to why ANet gave the Ranger the massive amount of customization that the class has in the form of pets, while Engineers are stuck with that same grenade kit from 5 to 80

in Engineer

Posted by: vvp.8512

vvp.8512

The hunter does change how grenades look.

Plainview (80 Engineer) SoR

in Engineer

Posted by: Vekthor.8914

Vekthor.8914

I feel like having kits/turrents styled according to your race would already be a big step. As of now, everything we carry/build feels too much like Charr technology. My main is an asura engineer and I feel like I have stolen all my kits and turrents blueprints from an old Charr engineer, except for the Elixir Gun. It’s the only thing that somewhat fits my characters racial armor.

in Engineer

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Heard the predator does too.

Pity hipfiring a sniper rifle looks beyond stupid.

The pistol isn’t much better even though there is nothing inherently wrong with the animations.

So no, not going for legendaries, I would rather save up for that necklace that gives bonuses to all stats.

in Engineer

Posted by: agnostAnts.7065

agnostAnts.7065

I think something that could be easy to implement is that certain traits, when taken, affect the appearance of kit models. Like if you take Fireforged Trigger, the head/muzzle of the flamethrower and elixir gun could become more streamlined to reflect the reduced recharge. Or taking Grenadier changes the backpack that spawns.

in Engineer

Posted by: mischwoof.9785

mischwoof.9785

I don’t think this is much of an issue this early in the game’s lifespan. Surely in the future engineers will get some cosmetic love with kits, but i’m not expecting it to happen any time soon, what with all of the bug fixes and functionality changes the game needs.

Nisha The Medicat [NEWL] | Lv. 80 Engineer | Dragonbrand

in Engineer

Posted by: Haltus Kain.4578

Haltus Kain.4578

I don’t think this is much of an issue this early in the game’s lifespan. Surely in the future engineers will get some cosmetic love with kits, but i’m not expecting it to happen any time soon, what with all of the bug fixes and functionality changes the game needs.

I really wish people wouldn’t make posts like that. Just because there are bigger fish to fry doesn’t mean the smaller things should be ignored, especially on a fan-discussion level; not like we’re eating up dev time by discussing it… And getting a solution growing now could have some awesome results when the devs do decide to start putting time into it.

Anywho, I agree with the OP… Probably the best thing to do now is encourage folks with some artistic skill to get some concept art drawn up – intact you might want to make a new thread specifically for that.

Haltus Kain [BGV] – 80 Engineer Mesmer – Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: Orissa.1872

Orissa.1872

I’d like my weapon kits to share design with Ruinmakers, pistols I’m using. Ruinmaker design is unique to pistols only, but many of rifles and pistols share the same theme. I believe it is really possible to create kit design for every single weapon skin, even including unique rifle and pistol skins. I think when we’re using unique skin, for the money we’ve spent on weapon, we also deserve our very special kit skin. I’d even pay up to 400-500 gems to unlock ability to use kit skins and another 200-250 gems for racial turrets (mentions in many other threads)

in Engineer

Posted by: Istarien.3147

Istarien.3147

I think the foundation is already there for kit customization, or at least some varied kit appearance. Notice how all the kits have a plain red handkerchief slung across them? I’m guessing we’ll eventually at least be able to show our guild crest, otherwise why have such a hanky there at all? We just need to wait for it to filter up to the top of some dev’s to-do list.

Isti (Engineer) | Niphredyl (Guardian) | Istra Ironfang (Necro) | [LotD] | Blackgate

in Engineer

Posted by: Emapudapus.1307

Emapudapus.1307

Hobo-sack :P.
Well since engineer do modifications, he could keep original weapon, just put improvements on it. So the look is the same as normal (ex.) pistol just with extra details, depending what kit you use.

all is vain

in Engineer

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

Heard the predator does too.

What about other kits?

Anyway, this is one suggestion I definitely agree with. We should have options there.

in Engineer

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

I think depending on the Legendary equipped looks of the weapon your wielding from the kit changes. Let’s say you have the Predator

Flame thrower and Elixr gun would keep their shape, but have similar coloring, I don’t know what you would do with bombs/nades but it’s a start

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

in Engineer

Posted by: Maimakterion.5940

Maimakterion.5940

Having special effects of my back item show up on my kit backpack would be nice too.

Flames from mad memories or the guild sigil from a guild backpack for example.

And yeah, I’m not even interested in progressing toward legendary weapons at the moment because, 1 i’m an asura so noone would see them if i’m not actually wailing with them in combat and 2 i’m an engineer so i wont be getting any benefit from them in combat.

in Engineer

Posted by: nish.2360

nish.2360

It changes the look of Grenade Barrage, but what if I am using Grenade Kit?

in Engineer

Vekthor.8914

And yeah, I’m not even interested in progressing toward legendary weapons at the moment because, 1 i’m an asura so noone would see them if i’m not actually wailing with them in combat and 2 i’m an engineer so i wont be getting any benefit from them in combat.

Exactly my situation as well.

While it’s a relief that it’s not necessary that I pursue legendary weapons, it’s sad to know that I’ll never look as epic as the other classes thanks to their effects.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I really wish people wouldn’t make posts like that. Just because there are bigger fish to fry doesn’t mean the smaller things should be ignored, especially on a fan-discussion level; not like we’re eating up dev time by discussing it… And getting a solution growing now could have some awesome results when the devs do decide to start putting time into it.

Anywho, I agree with the OP… Probably the best thing to do now is encourage folks with some artistic skill to get some concept art drawn up – intact you might want to make a new thread specifically for that.

I just wanted to add that they have different people working on cosmetics than they have working on the functionality stuffs. It’s not like it’s just one guy sitting there doing it all lol (Although they apparently only have 2 people working on game balance… what is this… I don’t even…)

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Engineer

Posted by: Diamandis.7483

Diamandis.7483

Yes sell us back pack skins in the gem store, anything is better then being marked forever with that hobo sack on our backs! or even sell us skins for our skills if that is possible I would be happy to pay for a few visual upgrades to help further allow us to customize our characters.

“The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”

in Engineer

Posted by: CheapGamer.3691

CheapGamer.3691

How about kits change skins automatically based on what skin the weapon equipped has?

Engineer Cheapgamer [TRON] Magumma

in Engineer

Vekthor.8914

How about kits change skins automatically based on what skin the weapon equipped has?

Would be ideal, yes, but very hard to program, I think.

Would also require many different versions of kits to be created, which would make this change mor eunlikely in the near future, since it’s just an esthetical thing. With so many bugged traits and skills in all classes, changing the appearance of something isn’t considered a top priority.

(And yes, before anyone quotes me and says some nonsense like “just because there are bigger problems you think this one shouldn’t be addressed?” or something, I do think kits need new skins. I’m just poiting out that due to the nature of the complaint, ANet is less likely to address it before it does so with broken skills/traits and bugs overall, and even more so if the chosen solution requires a lot of effort to pull out.)

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Allow me to hide the kit backpacks and I’ll run them all day long.

in Engineer

Posted by: SameHH.1048

SameHH.1048

Agree with your second suggestion, better looking kits and turrets as you level up or by equipping rarer weapons.

in Engineer

Posted by: Scion.3549

Scion.3549

Please please please ANet! Can you make this a year-end gift to us engineers? I’d go with #2~!! This would bring a lot of joy for all engineers!

I’d imagine it like the kits would somehow depend on the primary weapon at hand. Example: If I were to equip Predator on my engineer, the kits would as well have the same “theme”. A grenade kit would look like it has a giant skull as the backpack breathing flames. Flamethrower kit would have steam exhausts. And the list continues. . .

(edited by Scion.3549)

in Engineer

Posted by: Ponzu.4570

Ponzu.4570

LOL hobo-sack,i hate the looks of medkit and grenadier kit as well…hope they do something about it from your suggestions,at least scales 50% from weapons? since people ARE actually getting stronger with gear progressions…

lvl80 sylavari Engineer
Crystal Desert

in Engineer

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

Allow me to hide the kit backpacks and I’ll run them all day long.

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!!!! This x10000!