Lack of stability in sPvP

in Engineer

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Beside elixier S which is random and has a very bad cooldown : duration ratio.

Makes it impossible to fight on nodes vs spirit hammer guardian or a tornardo. You are literally cced non stop.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

Rampage and tornado both have stability don’t they?

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Rampage and tornado both have stability don’t they?

Not that stability is really necessary for engineers we have the most knockbacks out of any class and can match or beat a guardian for point control.

But really? Listing one of the worst abilities that engi has as a viable form of stability?

in Engineer

Posted by: jukkou.5102

jukkou.5102

Why not just use Elixir S at an opportune time to get away from the barrage of cc? It’ll give you a few seconds to put some distance between you and a knockback even. Throw Elixir S after if you want to add onto it since both stealth and stability would help at that point.

in Engineer

Posted by: Numot.3965

Numot.3965

Toss elixir S is best used for escape or stomping people, as either effect will work in those situations.

But yah, with the level of control an engineer can bring to a fight you can knock them around as well while dodging attacks. Or just drop smoke bomb and wave your hands in the air like you just don’t care.

in Engineer

Posted by: fddcsjxk.2358

fddcsjxk.2358

match or beat a guardian for point control

Mind posting a build that can do that? It’s not that I don’t believe you, but I’ve had a lot of trouble with guardians in particular.

in Engineer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

match or beat a guardian for point control

Mind posting a build that can do that? It’s not that I don’t believe you, but I’ve had a lot of trouble with guardians in particular.

Well, I do have a build that can hold points really well in tPVP.

20/10/30/10/0

Explosives ability 6 and 9
Firearms ability 6
Inventions Ability 3, 10, 12
Alchemy Ability 6

Rifle w/ Sigil of Superior Force
6 Superior Runes of Melandru
Soldier’s Amulet w/ Soldiers Jewel

Healing Turret
Net Turret
Rocket Turret
Flame Turret
Supply Crate

This is a rough sketch, since the turrets can be swapped out for other things you need or other turrets, and the abilities can be changed around to get what you need to get, often times in the same match.

But yeah, this setup can hold a point like a boss. With the rifle and the net turret (both toolbelt and the turret itself), you can have your opponent immobilized for a very long period of time, or you can break up the immobilizes to constantly annoy your opponent. Just immobilize the enemy then use rifle #4 to blow them out of the capture area to prevent them from grabbing. The net turret’s overcharged ability lets you stun the enemy for extended lengths of time, letting you get in close and use the rifle’s more damaging abilities. The rocket turret snipes enemies from, like, 1500 distance and can apply a regular knockdown along with AoE burning. The flame turret is the most expendable, since that exists for the defensive smoke field and to apply additional burning in a cone. Between the flame and the rocket turret, the enemy will be almost constantly on fire, ticking at 328 damage per second. The supply crate stuns while laying down a constant regen, along with another flame and net turret. Combine those together, and you will be incredibly controlling, and incredibly hard to kill.

Other things to use other than the flame turret include the thumper turret and nearly any of the elixirs. The thumper turret’s overcharge ability is an AoE Knockback that will blow any enemy players out of the point, but otherwise doesn’t do much. Elixir S is IMO the best elixir to go for since it breaks stuns, avoids damage spikes, grants stability or stealth. Elixir U can be good for damage spikes and also for the projectile stopping fields it can put up. Elixir C is bland condition removal, but that is quite important since otherwise this set has no good condition removal. Elixir B is kind of “Meh”, but gets mention because the power focus of this set makes retaliation a great boon to have.

The weaknesses of this set are that it doesn’t have good condition removal or a stun breaker. Usually you end up relying on something like the healing turret’s detonate to blow back a damage spike, but that is often times unreliable. The runes of Melandru are there to decrease condition duration and stun duration, and the primary defense against damage spikes is Protection Injection from the alchemy trait line. It is a really nice ability that gives protection for 3 seconds (CD 5 seconds) each time you are disabled, AKA right when you need it and every time you need it. But otherwise, controlling effects are your main defense, along with the fact that you’ll have over 3k armor and 22K HP if you go defensive like the above set.

Of course, you can also build it offensively, too. If you forgo accelerent packed turrets, you can invest more in firearms to get Rifle Mod and something like Go for the Eyes. Or you can hybrid it with the Juggernaut Trait and the flamethrower for more control effects and increased durability. Or you can go into the alchemy set and get elixir support or Self-Regulating Defenses which is another extremely awesome ability from that trait line. The beauty of these controlling turret sets are that they are quick and easy to change up. You can’t run to a point, see a turret engineer holding it and go “Yeah, I know exactly what he’s going to do” because he could do anything.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

(edited by Blood Red Arachnid.2493)